Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 21:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Another deal from Walmart today (Cyber Monday or Cyber Week or whatever)

"PlayStation 3 Value Bundle includes:

Console
Batman: Arkham Asylum for PS3
InFamous for PS3
Dark Knight, 2 Disc digital copy for Blu-Ray
Sony Blu-ray Remote
Extra Controller for PS3 (total of 2 controllers)"

Could I get some expert comments on this deal please? I don't necessarily care for the movie or the remote. But 2 games and an extra controller seems like a nice addition..

So the real question is: Could I get the console plus 2 games plus controller for less than $370 (Roughly 17,343) in India. If you add a power adapter cost to it it might be around a round figure Rs. 18,500.

Please advise guys!
Batman AA is one of the best games out there available for the PS3 (have played it myself) and Infamous has got good ratings (havent played it). Dark knight is personal preference. But yes, the remote and the extra controller are worth it. Hence this deal looks too good to be true. What was the price offered?
Old 9th December 2009, 00:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibu View Post
Hi Vinayak..I bought this from US. India has the 120gb version though.
Yes, mine US PS3 has a universal power supply...it just works fine. No need to buy a transformer or converter. God Bless Sony...
Old 9th December 2009, 00:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibu View Post
Yes, mine US PS3 has a universal power supply...it just works fine. No need to buy a transformer or converter. God Bless Sony...
Not only your's, but all the PS3's have inbuilt voltage regulator.
so all PS3 owners. Cheer's again
Old 16th February 2010, 00:15   #64
BHPian

My model is 120GB PS3 Slim , Purchased in Feb 2010 on Amazon, Model: CECH-2001A

Though the console says only 120v and also the manual says the same it still works perfectly without any converter on 240V in India.

Sony ki Jai (Sony is great)

PS: This applys to only PS3 slim, for earlier versions of PS3, please research the net as I do not know if it supports the same.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:27   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
My model is 120GB PS3 Slim , Purchased in Feb 2010 on Amazon, Model: CECH-2001A

Though the console says only 120v and also the manual says the same it still works perfectly without any converter on 240V in India.

Sony ki Jai (Sony is great)

PS: This applys to only PS3 slim, for earlier versions of PS3, please research the net as I do not know if it supports the same.
I bought PS3 250G from BestBuy Model CECH-2001B it say 120v ~2.1A 60hz, after seeing your reply... i am taking risk to connect mine too.... let see how things pan out....
Old 25th June 2010, 12:37   #66

Did you try out 240 V for your CECH-2001B. I bought the same and waiting to know from you before plugging in ... can't wait.
Old 19th February 2011, 11:41   #67
BHPian

Re: PS3 from US - do i need a voltage transformer??

Just got the ps3-320gb from US with move bundle.
After going through all the pages, I am not taking the risk of plugging it to 220v. The rating on the back of PS3 is mentioned as 120V, 60HZ, 230W.

Back to the basic question: Where in Hyderabad can I get a good step down transformer of 500W.?
Old 21st February 2011, 13:08   #68
BHPian

Got a 750W step down transformer of Maxine brand for 2K in Hyderabad.
I also purchased a PS3 game marked PAL on the disk and it is working perfectly fine which means the PS3 games are region free.
Old 21st February 2011, 20:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrswift View Post
Just got the ps3-320gb from US with move bundle.
After going through all the pages, I am not taking the risk of plugging it to 220v. The rating on the back of PS3 is mentioned as 120V, 60HZ, 230W.

Back to the basic question: Where in Hyderabad can I get a good step down transformer of 500W.?
Quote:
Got a 750W step down transformer of Maxine brand for 2K in Hyderabad.
I also purchased a PS3 game marked PAL on the disk and it is working perfectly fine which means the PS3 games are region free.
It is sad that you had to buy a step down transformer. The manual clearly advises against it as it could cause heat build up. Please read the thread 'Kinect Vs Move', where I'd posted my comments only yesterday that the PS3 with Move I'd bought last month in the US worked fine here when I plugged it in 2 days ago. I do agree I took a risk, but that was only after getting inputs from several users in India. I also used it for 2 hours yesterday with no issues.

The url is below:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-kinect-5.html

Sony needs to be flogged for deceiving customers. One person posted on Amazon that he took the risk of opening the seal and found a sticker '110 to 240 V' inside the console, whereas the outside had '110 V'.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st February 2011 at 20:51.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

guys, also be aware of dirty electricity (unwanted high frequency components). My laptop adapter at work is almost at the room temperature, but at home it gets hot like a frying pan.

In India I am guessing the electricity is going to be erratic, combine that with a higher voltage and it might be disastrous. I suggest checking the tepmerature of your transformer after an hour's usage and do not assume that they get hot anyway. Newer adapters work at negligible temperature rise when operating at optimum voltage and clean electricity.
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:20   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
It is sad that you had to buy a step down transformer. The manual clearly advises against it as it could cause heat build up. Please read the thread 'Kinect Vs Move', where I'd posted my comments only yesterday that the PS3 with Move I'd bought last month in the US worked fine here when I plugged it in 2 days ago. I do agree I took a risk, but that was only after getting inputs from several users in India. I also used it for 2 hours yesterday with no issues.

The url is below:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-kinect-5.html

Sony needs to be flogged for deceiving customers. One person posted on Amazon that he took the risk of opening the seal and found a sticker '110 to 240 V' inside the console, whereas the outside had '110 V'.
Thanks Vnabhi for your clarifications.
I missed your feedback before purchasing the step down transformer
I used the step down transformer with PS3 for playing (2 Hours) and watching a movie (1.5 Hours), The step down transformer was just warm and the PS3 was quite hot compared to the step down transformer.
I felt the PS3 heat was similar to the PS3 unit with my friend which is 220V from UK.
The step down transformer will not go waste since I will use it to charge my nintendo dsi XL which works on 110V. (It does not require 750W though)
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vnabhi for your clarifications.
I missed your feedback before purchasing the step down transformer
I used the step down transformer with PS3 for playing (2 Hours) and watching a movie (1.5 Hours), The step down transformer was just warm and the PS3 was quite hot compared to the step down transformer.
I felt the PS3 heat was similar to the PS3 unit with my friend which is 220V from UK.
The step down transformer will not go waste since I will use it to charge my nintendo dsi XL which works on 110V. (It does not require 750W though)
Good, but keep a watch on the console's heat if you use the transformer. I used mine for 2 hours and found the console warm, just like it was in the U.S.

Happy gaming!
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:44   #73
BHPian

guys,

I have 2 PS3's
  • 80gb MGS4 bundle (fat one)
  • 120gb slim
both of them bought in the US (in July 2008 & Nov 2009). I use both the PS3's without any stepdown transformers in India. AFAIK Sony has universal power supplies for all PS3's, only thing they do not mention this anywhere.

Regarding the erratic power supply in our country, the only thing that I do is use a UPS for the PS3. The fat PS3 uses a max of 350W or so and thus I use the APC 1500va ups for it.

peace,
~kg
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilvgupta View Post
guys,

Regarding the erratic power supply in our country, the only thing that I do is use a UPS for the PS3. The fat PS3 uses a max of 350W or so and thus I use the APC 1500va ups for it.

peace,
~kg
It is good that you mentioned this. I too use a stabilizer for my TV, HT and the PS3/ Wii, depending on which one is plugged in. I connect the stabilizer to a multi-socket unit that can take in 4 plugs--I think they call it spike guard.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:49   #75
BHPian

I have ordered Nintendo wii bundle from amazon yesterday. I have also order wii official AC charger supply.
Do I need to order some convertor also to make it work in India?

Pls reply urgently.

Thks

Uneet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks