Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 09:47   #31
JRD
BHPian

after reading a post about the converter i remember mine allows upto 1500w. It has been working perfectly for quite some time now
Old 7th October 2008, 10:08   #32
BHPian

yes for other appliances which don't have universal PSUs, there are some very reliable step up/down transformers I picked up from FRy's in US and have had no issues so far.
Unless you are using for small appliances like shavers, etc stay away from the 50/1500W cheapo converters. They make square waves (not sine) and can ruin your device over team. For continuous power stick to the more expensive converters which give out pure sine wave and have a specific wattage rating like 100W, 500W, etc. (not the 50/1500W !!) I am currently using one for my roomba vacuuming robot a boon for us working professionals who like a clean house ( iRobot Corporation: About Roomba 500 )
Old 11th November 2008, 10:16   #33
BHPian

A big Hello to all team-bhpians.
Checking in after a long long time and boy am i delighted to read all the latest car happenings and specially thrilled to read the spottings in the imports section.

Anyways, ill be returning to India pretty soon and seems like ill be able to lay my hands on some awesum deals on the PS3 80Gb.

Like said earlier... not many tech forums have been helpful in determining whether the US PS3 8GB works without any mods in India. I still have not been able tofigure out all the confusion about the whole PAL - NTSC stuff. Some say be carefull, some say it dosent matter.

So i am looking for help from you guys who have the N American PS3 and have been using it in India.

Please help me with answers to my questions:

1. Will the PS3 80Gb work on a std definition TV/normal lcd TV?
2. Is it difficult to find a good transformer in Mumbai/is it required?
3. How can one make sure that the console has a universal PSU even though the manual says 110V-60Hz?
4. Is there any hardware changes needed like on the PS2?
5. Does it only play games on BluRay DVD??

Cheers!
Old 11th November 2008, 10:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_DEMON82 View Post

So i am looking for help from you guys who have the N American PS3 and have been using it in India.

Please help me with answers to my questions:

1. Will the PS3 80Gb work on a std definition TV/normal lcd TV?
2. Is it difficult to find a good transformer in Mumbai/is it required?
3. How can one make sure that the console has a universal PSU even though the manual says 110V-60Hz?
4. Is there any hardware changes needed like on the PS2?
5. Does it only play games on BluRay DVD??

Cheers!
Hi @speed_demon - I have been using 2PS3s for more than a year now - one is from US 80gb and the other is from India 40gb

1) PS3 works on any tv which is multi standard (auto, pal, secam, ntsc). You need not worry about this as all tvs as are, infact even an 15 yr old 14" tv that I had was multi standard!!!
2) No transformer was needed in the case of my 80gb
3) there are numerous videos on youtube which tear open the 80gb to show it has a universal psu. I don't think that has changed
4) NO hardware changes are needed as all PS3s are region free as far as gaming goes. Movies (dvd and bluray)may or may not be region coded
5) All PS3 games are on bluray disc (not dvd)

Hope this helps
Old 12th November 2008, 09:05   #35
BHPian

Hey Jassi,

I thought as much that u'd be the one to answer my question. Thanks so much for the effort. Now cant wait any longer to lay my hands on one at the BlackFriday Sale.

Cheers!
Old 12th November 2008, 16:50   #36
BHPian

Jassi,

I got Nintendo Gamecube from US in May 06 and they recommended not using it outside of North America. I purchased a step down transformer which could take a wattage upto 550 W from Secunderabad at a price of 1100 Rs and am using it since then - no issues at all.
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:15   #37
BHPian

Sorry to dig this out...curious to know..Jassi..did you buy the transformer or the power supply a universal one? I just bought a PS3 slim 250Gb and was wondering if I should go ahead and buy a step down 500w transformer?
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:40   #38
BHPian

Hi Shibu,

In case you end of buying one, please let me know which shop in Bangalore stocks these !
i intend to pick one too.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:31   #39
BHPian

Hi Vinayak..I bought this from US. India has the 120gb version though.
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:09   #40
BHPian

I have bought quite a few stuff from the US and using it in India.
Most of the power adapters accept the input range from 110V - 240V, 50 - 60 Hz. All you would need is a pin converter as the US plugs have flat pins and Indian pins are round.

As far as Sony playstations are considered, I have checked all their power adapters and it accepts only 120V 60hz as the input.
What I have done for such devices is buy a new power adapter for the device.
Just go any buy a power adapter for PS3 and you should be good to go instead of the mess with step down voltage devices etc.

I hope you are aware of the region lock for sony PS3 games as well.
Sony PS3 bought in the US does not load games purcahsed in India.
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:19   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibu View Post
Sorry to dig this out...curious to know..Jassi..did you buy the transformer or the power supply a universal one? I just bought a PS3 slim 250Gb and was wondering if I should go ahead and buy a step down 500w transformer?
The older PS3 which I own has a power rating of around 600 watts(I think I am correct).I bought a 1500 watts step down transformer for it. I would say go for a transformer with double the power rating of your PS3. It has worked seamlessly and in future if I need to use any US electronic item with lesser rating, I can just plug into the same transformer.
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post

I hope you are aware of the region lock for sony PS3 games as well.
Sony PS3 bought in the US does not load games purcahsed in India.
In the link below akshay says, games are region free. so games purchased from anywhere should be fine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ation-3-a.html

now i am confused. which one is true? help
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
In the link below akshay says, games are region free. so games purchased from anywhere should be fine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ation-3-a.html

now i am confused. which one is true? help
Sorry! My information is outdated. I just confirmed from a friend of mine who is a Sony guru that PS3 games are region free and games bought all over the world works fine.
Sony has apparently removed the region coding for their PS3 games.

The region coding is still there only for DVDs and blu-ray movies.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:36   #44
BHPian

Hey guys this is the blackfriday deal on amazon this year:

"Amazon will offer the Sony PS3 Slim 120GB with the games InFAMOUS and Killzone 2 and a Amazon promotional credit of $10 for $299. "

Been following this forum for a bit. Considering all considerations, do you guys feel that it's worthwhile to get the PS3 from the US? I have a regular 29" TV. My doubts are the ones expressed above

1. Can the required transformer be obtained off the shelf in Bangalore?
2. Are the PS3 games way too expensive in India currently? (Specially since in the Slim is not backward compatible)

Or should I just go and buy the PS2 for now (never owned one) ?
Old 28th November 2009, 11:16   #45
BHPian

Hi MC Mayank,

i'm afraid the back friday deals are but over by this time now (in fact if u hadn't hit the stores like at 5 AM yesterday, u can well forget the freebies :( )
Coming back to your question...
u'r probably require an HDMI cable as well as it doesn't come as a standard in PS3. (i'm guessing u'll buy a LCD time at some point of time) -> That costs about 30 $
i see that in Delhi u get a 1500W 240 -110V step down Xmer for 300 bucks. I think most of the electric shops would have sometime similar in stock
u can pick up some new games from the US itself for 60$$. The old ones will be available for 18-25 $ i guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks