Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2007, 01:10   #1
BHPian

PS3 from US - do i need a voltage transformer??

Hey I got the PS3 on my trip to US. Its the new 80gb one with the motorstorm game included in the package for 599usd.
I just got back today but still thinking if I should connect the ps3 or not - cos it says 120V 3.2A 60Hz on the back, which means it'll blow up if I connect it to our 230V supply.
Can anyone confirm if the ps3 80gb has a built-in universal power supply. I have seen reports of people in UK buying the US 60gb version and crackin it open to discover it has a built-in universal power supply unit (unlike whats stated outside), but these are all nov-dec 2006, nothing recent or with the new 80gb package.

Also apart from being 60gb models, all the PS3s confirmed to take all voltages are made in japan and sold in US. The back of the PS3 I got in US, says made in china (not japan) and to cut down on costs chinese may have put in a single voltage PSU.

Also if I need to get a step down voltage device, it has to be transformer which gives out pure sine waves and not converter which simply cuts down the waveform. Transformers are recommended for electronic devices and converters for electric devices like hair dryers and heaters. Also a transformer/converter will not change the freq from our 50hz to US reqd. 60Hz - what would be the effects of this on the PS3 even though voltage is stepped down to 120V. Where can i get a reliable step down transformer in bangalore.

Any inputs would be nice
Old 20th August 2007, 01:30   #2
BHPian

Jassi,
I am using a US PS3 as well. Although it states on back that 110 Volts, I asked a dealer here and he said it works on the normal 240 Volts as well. I have been using it for about 5 months now and its working perfectly fine.
Old 20th August 2007, 03:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

to be on safe side get that 220 to 110 converter
Old 20th August 2007, 09:13   #4
BHPian

Getting a convertor is best idea.
Cheap insurance at 100 or so bucks. Which is less than a 10th of the cost incurred in case you want to "experiment".
And dont worry about the Sine wave, square wave thing. There is still a built in transformer. That will take care.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

go to a good electrical shop and ask for a step down voltage regulator for US to India ratings. Will cost 100 to 200 Rs and will work fine.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
go to a good electrical shop and ask for a step down voltage regulator for US to India ratings. Will cost 100 to 200 Rs and will work fine.
I don't think a 200 Rs. converter will be able to withstand something which draws that much power. You have to get something which can support the power rating of the PS3 as well ~ 500W maybe.
Couple of years back, I took my 64W RMS Logitech speakers and used one of those converters and the converter got burnt and was almost catching fire.

Your best option will be to leave the PS3 as it is and use it's native adapter. These days all electronic equipments are designed for 110-230 V AC. I've also used my laptop (Canadian version) extensively without a converter and nothing has ever happened to it yet.
Old 20th August 2007, 12:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

yes u will get bigger wattage step ups also, will be a lil bulky thats all
Old 20th August 2007, 12:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
You have to get something which can support the power rating of the PS3 as well ~ 500W maybe.
You are correct. Best bet would be custom made transformer. I am not sure if PS3 takes 500w... but its better to take it to a **good** electrician to measure all these things and build a custom made transformer. This is what i did with my HT/xbox setup. The guy gave a upper limit of 1000w and got me a transformer for this need. It cost me 1800 bucks 3 years ago. All components are working fine till date.

Another option is to take it to some **reliable** computer hw guy and get it modified to work with both 120/240 rating. I first tried my xbox on a el-cheapo convertor and it did blew up. I thought the xbox is gone for good. But there was one repair shop in a narrow bylane of sp road. That guy brought it back to life and also added this 120/240 dual support in to the system itself. I wouldnt have gone to that place in right mind... but since i assumed the system is gone, gave it a try.

Quote:
I use one such thing for a wireless router. Not sure if it will take a ps3...

Last edited by gkrishn : 20th August 2007 at 12:16.
Old 20th August 2007, 13:03   #9
BHPian

well the ps3 draws 380 watts max.

On the way back I say plenty of converters at airports, but nothing rated more than 50 watts for electronics. The ones rated for 500 watts and above had a warning that they should be used only for electric devices like heaters, hair dryers which use more than 500 watts and not electronics like tvs, computers, etc.
At singapore airport did see transformers for electronic devices but the max rating was 300 watts.

I am pretty convinced I need a transformer and not a converter

What is the difference between a converter and a transformer?

There is a difference. The explanation can get technical, but here is a summary: use converters only with electric appliances such as hair dryers, etc. Use a transformer with anything electronic, such as computers. Also, if your electronics are grounded be sure to use a transformer which is grounded. Walkabout Travel Gear LLC only carries grounded transformers. (With the exception of the 50 watt model.)
Now the technical explanation. Most commercial power generators supply electricity that varies in strength and direction. This is called alternating current and the electricity moves in the shape of a sine wave. The variations in the current are not detected because the changes occur 50 or 60 times a second, depending upon the country. A step down converter turns 220V current into 110V current by cutting these sine waves in half. A step down transformer alters the length of sine waves to create 110V current. Electronic appliances require a full wave and should therefore ONLY be used with a transformer. Electric appliances can operate with either a half wave or an altered wave and can be used with a converter OR a transformer. Transformers are for long term use while converters are not. A converter should not be used longer than is necessary to use the appliance and certainly not longer than 2 hours. Transformers are usually much heavier than converters. While transformers are designed for long-term use, you still should unplug them when not being used.

Text derived from this link International electricity source. Walkabout Travel Gear LLC (R). Worldwide electrical index. worldwide electricity guide international international converters adapter plug adapters transformers wall plugs electric electrical voltage adaptadores, con

Now all reports I have seen are of 60gb ps3 which are made in japan and dated late 2006 or early 2007. Mine is a new model 80gb made in china in july 2007, which is where i am concerned
Old 20th August 2007, 13:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Now all reports I have seen are of 60gb ps3 which are made in japan and dated late 2006 or early 2007. Mine is a new model 80gb made in china in july 2007, which is where i am concerned
Why are you bothered about make model manufacturing date etc?? Just buy a transformer which matches you rating and start enjoying it... If you still have confusion, you can come down to my home. I will give a full demo of your PS3 on lcd/ht setup. I am yet to give a true HD i/p to my lcd... so it will solve both the purpose.

On serious note, the earthing is one thing i missed out. Most of the houses don't have a proper earthing. So make sure about it. Also you will have to take care about 50/60 hz thing. The system keeps track of date and time using this. this is really minor issue though.

Last edited by gkrishn : 20th August 2007 at 13:22.
Old 20th August 2007, 13:36   #11
BHPian

yeah man i cant wait to plug it in full HD and 7.1 sound

ok so now where can i get a good 230 to 120 volt step down transformer havent had any success at vegas and los angeles airports in the west and tokyo and singapore airports in the east

so the only effect of 50/60hz is timing - i thought all modern computer like devices had an internal clock with its own rechargeable power source
Old 20th August 2007, 13:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
ok so now where can i get a good 230 to 120 volt step down transformer havent had any success at vegas and los angeles airports in the west and tokyo and singapore airports in the east
Try this...

Company: Universal Electronics
Name: Ravi Kumar
Phone: 222-347

this is a old data. 3 years old... note the missing first digit "2" in the phone no. Add that and Give a try. He used to come down to your house check every thing... and after about 2,3 days he used to make delivery. Not sure he is still this much customer oriented.

Quote:
so the only effect of 50/60hz is timing - i thought all modern computer like devices had an internal clock with its own rechargeable power source
You are correct... but some people even brought with them the clocks they used is US. So...

Last edited by gkrishn : 20th August 2007 at 13:48.
Old 20th August 2007, 14:54   #13
BHPian

I am using a PS3 which i got from the US.
No transformer required.
The PS3 uses the same power supply unit worldwide so it accepts 110-240V.

I have a 60GB PS3, although i doubt if the 80 GB PS3 would use a different PSU. Will check once i get back home and let you know if it says only 110 V on the back of the PS3 or not.
Old 20th August 2007, 14:57   #14
BHPian

isnt the US ps3 is NTSC and the indian one PAL format?
wouldnt finding games be difficult then??
Old 20th August 2007, 15:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

I'm pretty sure the PS3 comes with a AC to DC adapter, atleast the PS2 did.

What this does is it would be a 110-240V AC Adapter which converts this input into DC ( 9V or 19V) or whatever is needed for the PS3.

You should see this clearly in the adapter supplied to you. If it says anywhere 110V - 240V you can stick it in.

Now if you just have a 110V direct AC plug, then you need to get a Stepup Transformer. Based on the wattage you can buy one. For 50W to 100W you would get a small convertor that can be directly plugged in into the socket. For 500W or above you need to buy a transformer which has a Voltmeter and a fuse. This sort of looks like a stabilizer. I got one for 1500W for around Rs.2000/- in SP Road Bangalore. Needed it for my home theatre system.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks