Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 17:21   #961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Folks,
I have Sony DCR TRV 33 (minDV camcorder). I am using it as digital camera as well. Picture quality is not very bad (1M pixel). But lighting is not sufficient even while taking snaps in tubelight.

I am thinking if I need to go for a flash (how much it costs?) or buy altogether new digital camera and use camcorder only for video.

Please help me.

sathya, better go for a digital camera, trust me you'll be happier with the results..! And as HellCat said, the flash is not going to help you..
Old 27th September 2007, 18:02   #962
Senior - BHPian

My interest in photography has increased substantially over the last one year and even further seeing awesome shots taken by our own proffessional and amatuer tbhp members. I own just a Canon P&S camera with a manual setting mode.

I was looking at buying a low end DSLR to start with. I learned about prosumer cameras and have read reviews on Canon and Sony prosumer or semi-proffessional cameras (Canon S5IS, Sony H9, H7 etc.)

I am more inclined towards Canon S5IS since I know the operation menus well. But I feel Sony is more value for money with 15x optical zoom, internal memory, remote, auto flash etc.

Would appreciate your thoughts and others model/brand suggestions also.
Old 27th September 2007, 18:43   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I was looking at buying a low end DSLR to start with.
I am more inclined towards Canon S5IS ...
I don't think S5IS is a DSLR.

Quote:
But I feel Sony is more value for money with 15x optical zoom, internal memory, remote, auto flash etc.
The things that you have listed dosnt really mean VFM in my opinion. I would suggest a entry level DSLR with kit lens + a 50 mm lens. If you are really interested in photography please try this route.
Old 27th September 2007, 18:44   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
Sathya I recommend you buy a new digital camera, as investing on a flash will not solve the problem.

Cheers
Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by surajs View Post
sathya, better go for a digital camera, trust me you'll be happier with the results..! And as HellCat said, the flash is not going to help you..
Thanks guys. Now next questions start...

Can you all suggest me good digital camera? Budget 10-13K. What best features I can get with this money?

Will Sony do or any other one?

Decent sized LCD screen, good battery life and good amount of memory stick in-built (500 photos) are something I can think of.

Throw me your inputs!
Old 27th September 2007, 18:51   #965
Senior - BHPian

Pick up the Canon S3 IS(grey) is available for about 13k change in bangy.
Old 27th September 2007, 18:53   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post

The things that you have listed dosnt really mean VFM in my opinion. I would suggest a entry level DSLR with kit lens + a 50 mm lens. If you are really interested in photography please try this route.

I had shortlisted the Nikon D40 entry levell DSLR before i got the Canon S5 IS. The only reason i did not get it was the D40 did not have a video mode. Not sure if the Canon entry level DSLRs have video modes in them.
Old 27th September 2007, 18:58   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
I had shortlisted the Nikon D40 entry levell DSLR before i got the Canon S5 IS. The only reason i did not get it was the D40 did not have a video mode. Not sure if the Canon entry level DSLRs have video modes in them.
We cant even be comparing a DSLR like D40 with Canon S5IS. They are way too different and DSLR's are for more professional photography with many features and most importantly can be used with several lens. Not to mention the big price difference too.
Old 27th September 2007, 19:01   #968
BHPian

Quote:
I had shortlisted the Nikon D40 entry levell DSLR before i got the Canon S5 IS. The only reason i did not get it was the D40 did not have a video mode.
Video??? He was only talking about photography.

Quote:
My interest in photography has increased substantially over the last one year ...
Old 27th September 2007, 19:04   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only reason i did not get it was the D40 did not have a video mode. Not sure if the Canon entry level DSLRs have video modes in them.
Why would some-one interested purely in still photography need video mode . I fail to understand the concept here.

I though we had handycam's for video recordings.DSLR with video mode , thats new to me now.
Old 27th September 2007, 19:06   #970
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You do not have to think. S5 IS is not a DSLR.
Quote:
I would suggest a entry level DSLR with kit lens + a 50 mm lens.
kit lens+50mm lens? Most of the DSLR kit lenses are anyhow 18mm-55mm. And that should suffice for anyone new to the world of photography. He can think of an additional lens later when he gets a hang of the things and feels he need a lens with a bigger range for telephoto shots.

Quote:

Can you all suggest me good digital camera? Budget 10-13K. What best features I can get with this money?
I would say if you are new to photography start with something like the Canon S3 IS or Fuji Finepix S5100 are two good options. They will not break the bank and yet you will get a wealth of features. Starting with P&S photography you can slowly start playing around with more serious stuff that lets you have better control over the environment. A DSLR thereafter will be a more logical bet (say a year or two later).

Quote:
Not sure if the Canon entry level DSLRs have video modes in them.
Aah!!! Now, pray which DSLR in the world comes with a video mode in it?
Old 27th September 2007, 19:38   #971
Senior - BHPian

Video shoot is not essential for me as I dont use it now either. Its not easy to share and the video clarity in P&S cameras is nothing to talk about.

I know S51S is not a DSLR. I was taking about prosumer cameras. I may not look at wide angle and telephoto lens for the moment. Anyways most prosumer cameras, I think has a convertor for bigger lens if required.

My primary needs are higher optical zoom, higher shutter speed and ISO etc and a manual mode to play around with. Dont suggest high end DSLR's like D40 or EOS series as I dont know how to even handle one. Any specific comments on Sony H7 or H9 or even Kodak?
Old 27th September 2007, 19:43   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Decent sized LCD screen, good battery life and good amount of memory stick in-built (500 photos) are something I can think of.
Read below, thats what you need to be looking at when buying a Camera.

Quote:
My primary needs are higher optical zoom, higher shutter speed and ISO etc and a manual mode to play around with.
Old 27th September 2007, 19:58   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My primary needs are higher optical zoom, higher shutter speed and ISO etc and a manual mode to play around with.
The S5 IS complies with all of your requirements. It has 12X optical zoom and has the manual mode for you to experiment, not to leave the ISO which is upto 1600. The shutter speed is quoted as 15 – 1/3200 sec.

It is not a DSLR, forget about a high end DSLR. The reviews have been good so far and am inclined towards it.

You can check this link for detailed specs: Canon PowerShot S5 IS: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by rr_zen : 27th September 2007 at 20:02.
Old 27th September 2007, 20:24   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
kit lens+50mm lens? Most of the DSLR kit lenses are anyhow 18mm-55mm. And that should suffice for anyone new to the world of photography.
Heehee... the 50mm lens are actually a trap on unsuspecting prey. They are cheap(relatively) and has really good optics. Once you start using them, you will never use an cheap lens. Only "L" series will give you greater nirvana...

Quote:
Dont suggest high end DSLR's like D40 or EOS series as I dont know how to even handle one.
Every one starts like that only...
Old 27th September 2007, 20:38   #975
Senior - BHPian

Ok talking about the 50mm lens, see what it can do . Absolute VFM, what say Guru ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 27th September 2007 at 20:52.

Most Viewed