Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2008, 00:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well, I was browsing amazon and not one Celestron telescope had a 5 star rating. Common complaints seem to be it being too complicated to setup, being bulky and poor customer support ! The Powerseeker 127 in India is quoted at 16K+ by tejraj whereas in amazon its available for 150$ !!! I guess you can get it shipped to India and it would still cost less !!

:-)
Old 15th February 2008, 15:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
What's the purpose? Terrestrial or night-sky observation? For the former you'll need a refractor, but for the latter a reflector is ideal. Reflectors are also cheaper and lighter, for the same magnification. If you're a beginner, a really nice reflector shouldn't set you back by more than 15-18K. Celestron Starhopper is a good brand, but I don't know any dealers in Bangalore.
Night-sky. I want to buy a good one once and forget abt it.
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:45   #18

RK Photo Guide is also a dealer for Celestron if I remember right.

If you are really serious about skywatching go for a big aperture. There are lots of 3 - 4 inch scopes out there in the market and you will quickly run out of objects to watch. If you want to do only visual observations, look for a decent Newtonian (6 to 8 inch). A scope with a Dobsonian mount is ideal for a beginner and it costs a lot less also. You can make your own telescope also if you dont mind doing some hard physical labour of grinding and polishing the mirror. It costs a lot less.

If you are also interested in photography, a scope with an equatorail mount (or an alt-azimuth mount with dual axis drive), very good drive and a solid mount is required. But that will cost you in six digits.

Keep in mind that the skies in cities are horrific for astronomy. If you are in a badly light polluted area be prepared for some disappointing views.

clear skies!
Chandrainsky
Old 23rd February 2008, 10:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

My son got a little keen about the stars (he's 6 years old) so got him the first "toy" telescope I could find - some Benjamin 45x40 - but have clue no how to set it up or if its useful at all. Tried observing the moon last night but was better off with the naked eye

This thing was about 840/- and don't want to spend too much more right now cause stuff usually doesn't last too long in my son's hands - but this seems to be failing for anything at all.
Old 23rd February 2008, 11:19   #20
aZa
Senior - BHPian

My dad had got me a startracker system from tejraj when i was in 11th! Its great fun, but there is too much of ambient light and vibration from the main road for continious spotting.
Old 23rd February 2008, 11:46   #21
BHPian

You're right. the light pollution spoils all the fun. Even i rarely take out my telescope nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
My dad had got me a startracker system from tejraj when i was in 11th! Its great fun, but there is too much of ambient light and vibration from the main road for continious spotting.
Old 26th February 2008, 20:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Light pollution of course is the curse of all cities. But vibration from the road? I didn't get you??

By the way I saw a 5 inch Newtonian reflector (Celestron make, most likely Chinese make, like all things you buy today!) at "Spar" mall on Bannerghatta Road. The price tag was 16K. Of course, its far too small for any serious observing.
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:35   #23
BHPian

Buying Binoculars and Telescope - Help Please

I am wanting to buy a decent pair of binoculars for myself. To be used for the travel I do and some bird watching (please do not confuse with chick watching!) Budget is 3k to 5k (stretch for a really good one).

I am also wanting to buy a basic telescope for my daughters (the elder one is 6 yrs). I need to learn observing the celestial bodies using a telescope. Budget is 5k to 8k.

Are there any clubs in Mumbai (near Goregaon -east) where I can learn how to use telescopes?

Help of any kind will be appreciated.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd February 2009 at 14:57. Reason: search please
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

I ahve one from tejraj & Sons. Its good for amateurs and have been with me for almost 8 years now.
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

My friend who was VP, Discovery Channel India, has a state of the art telescope that is laptop/computer controlled, with a base motor to move/rotate and track celestial bodies. Got it from US of the A. It also has provision to attach a camera.

I'm forgetting the make but shall post if anyone is interested as he wants to sell it off. I think it is a Meade, but not sure.

Last edited by gd1418 : 23rd February 2009 at 18:46.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I am wanting to buy a decent pair of binoculars for myself. To be used for the travel I do and some bird watching (please do not confuse with chick watching!) Budget is 3k to 5k (stretch for a really good one).

I am also wanting to buy a basic telescope for my daughters (the elder one is 6 yrs). I need to learn observing the celestial bodies using a telescope. Budget is 5k to 8k.

Are there any clubs in Mumbai (near Goregaon -east) where I can learn how to use telescopes?

Help of any kind will be appreciated.

I think a binoculars will serve both of you well. With the range that you are talking about, you should be able to get a good pair of binoculars. Observing through a telescope is a little difficult at first and it doesnt make sense until you know the sky a little. A pair binoculars gives you a wide field of view, making spotting things in the sky easier than looking through a telescope. A good book, like "turn left at orion" is definitely recommended. You can later "upgrade" to a scope after you are fairly familiar with the sky.

Most people who jumped in and bought a telescope were permanently turned off from the hobby, either because they were disappointed that they dint see "hubble" quality images. Or because they invested a lot of money buying the largest aperture (6" reflectors and above) they could afford and dint have the patience to lug the 30 odd kilos around everynight to view the sky.

With binocs, you can see craters on the moon, and lots and lots of stars that arent visible with the naked eye. I think a 50x7 or higher magnification will be ideal for both your needs.

Visit your local planetarium for more information on developing sky-watching as a hobby.
Old 23rd February 2009, 22:50   #27
BHPian

is there a way that I can connect my camera to the telescope ? Has anyone done that here ?

@gd1418 : What would your friend quote ? With that technology, am assuming it would cost a bomb.
Old 24th February 2009, 01:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Try Pixetra on Cunningham road. I have seen both telescopes and binoculars there.

pixetra - buy digital cameras, camera accessories, hobby optics and order photo prints online in India
Old 24th February 2009, 10:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post

With binocs, you can see craters on the moon, and lots and lots of stars that arent visible with the naked eye. I think a 50x7 or higher magnification will be ideal for both your needs.
That was some very valuable advice AK916. If you could please help me understand 50X7, what does it mean? I am told that a magnification more than 10X can not be managed without a tripod. I know nothin about binocs and their optics.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I've some info. It is a Meade and I"m attaching some photographs that include the carrying case image and the camera attachment image.

My friend has quoted 25K (in cash) for the same. It is almost new and probably unused.

Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-meade.jpg

Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-case.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
is there a way that I can connect my camera to the telescope ? Has anyone done that here ?

@gd1418 : What would your friend quote ? With that technology, am assuming it would cost a bomb.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks