Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Portable IPod music system - Bose SoundDock? Anything else?

I'm over the moon with my Soundlink Mini II for over a year now. The highs and lows are reproduced with equal fervour. This standout product features a rugged aluminium enclosure, the best Ive seen. But somehow it sounds best when paired with Apple products.
Attached Images

Old 4th October 2016, 23:55   #62
BHPian

I am myself deciding between the Bose Sound Mini II, JBL Flip 3 and UE Boom 2. One of the things I do not want to compromise on is the bass. Anyone here having any sort of experience of the Flip 3 and the UE Boom 2?
Old 5th October 2016, 04:08   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm over the moon with my Soundlink Mini II for over a year now. The highs and lows are reproduced with equal fervour. This standout product features a rugged aluminium enclosure, the best Ive seen. But somehow it sounds best when paired with Apple products.
I completely agree about this.
I bought one of these in the beginning of 2014 in the US at a fabulous price. It is really fantastic.
Gave it to my Dad who absolutely loves it. And Yes, it sounds wonderful when paired to Apple products almost as if it were designed for Apple.

I ve got a far smaller, little portable Harman Kardon Bluetooth Speaker which I carry when Im travelling. Mainly because it is so small and cute and easy to pack and doesn't take up much space at all. That is also of very high quality but lacks the Bass and Power of the Bose Soundlink.

I guess the compromise needs to be made, for portability.

Both these products work perfectly well, even if, apart from music playback, one wishes to use them for speaker telephony.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th October 2016 at 04:09.
Old 6th October 2016, 20:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
I am myself deciding between the Bose Sound Mini II, JBL Flip 3 and UE Boom 2. One of the things I do not want to compromise on is the bass. Anyone here having any sort of experience of the Flip 3 and the UE Boom 2?
I bought JBL Flip 3 yesterday in Best Buy. Cost me 107$ (99 + taxes). Sound quality is good. My only concern is the damage that might happen to the speakers as they are open.

Checked all three. Without doubt Bose is the best of the lot. . UE Boom 2 has better range for Bluetooth pairing is what I read in the reviews. I reluctantly bought JBL as I did not want to spend much on the speaker or else I would definitely buy Bose.

Walmart has the same price. Sam's club did not have any stock here.
Old 6th October 2016, 20:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I bought JBL Flip 3 yesterday in Best Buy. Cost me 107$ (99 + taxes). Sound quality is good. My only concern is the damage that might happen to the speakers as they are open.

Checked all three. Without doubt Bose is the best of the lot. . UE Boom 2 has better range for Bluetooth pairing is what I read in the reviews. I reluctantly bought JBL as I did not want to spend much on the speaker or else I would definitely buy Bose.

Walmart has the same price. Sam's club did not have any stock here.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! Well I am in the UK currently. So the best prices I have got are £110 for the UE Boom 2, £90 for the JBL Flip 3 and £120 for the JBL Charge 3.

The Bose, unsurprisingly, does sound the best, atleast from the sound reviews I have heard on YouTube. But another factor I had to take into concern was ruggedness, since I will be packing the speaker into my rucksack a lot of times. The Bose is nowhere rugged and definitely looks to be a delicate daisy!

The UE Boom 2 was the most rugged but I discounted it because a lot of reviews (and sound check videos) stated that the sound from the speakers were quite loud but lacked bass and sounded rather flat. Again, this is what I inferred from the soundcheck videos. The EQ settings in the boom app for iOS and Android maybe able to sort out this issue.

Between the JBL Flip 3 and the Charge 3, I simply chose the Charge 3 because although I was losing out on the portability factor, The Charge 3 did seem to sound a lot more fuller and with more Bass. The Charge 3 also had the full waterproofing known as the IPX7 coating, if am not wrong. This is the same waterproofing in the UE Boom 2.

With regards to the 'open speakers', they are actually the bass radiators. The speakers are above the JBL icon. Do not worry about them being open. A lot of YouTube videos enforce the fact that it is splashproof!

Hope this helps anymore people looking to buy portable speakers! Cheers!
Old 20th February 2017, 19:17   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Turns out a BT adapter is pointless on my dock (Series 1) because this version doesn't have a charge the accessory (which would be necessary for the BT adapter).

So, I'm looking for a 30-pin to USB/3.5mm jack adapter.
I essentially need this:

http://www.amazon.in/iPod-Female-Mal.../dp/B002SCZBIO

But this product barely has any reviews and there's mixed opinion on whether this will work on the Series 1 SoundDock.

Any advice?
Old 20th February 2017, 20:42   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I essentially need this:

http://www.amazon.in/iPod-Female-Mal.../dp/B002SCZBIO

But this product barely has any reviews and there's mixed opinion on whether this will work on the Series 1 SoundDock.

Any advice?
Wont these simply work?

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...htning+adapter

PS: Non apple person here!

Most Viewed