Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2008, 14:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rechargable batteries !

Fellows,

Am using AA Sony Ni-Mh rechargable batteries for my Canon digital camera and it seems they have lost their juice. I charge them fully (Original Sony charger) and use them for an hour and they are drained ! Its been just about an year using them.

1) Is 1 year the correct time for the batteries to start showing the diminishing power ?

2) Where will I get "ORIGINAL" AA rechargable batteries ? (too many fakes in the market)

3) How do I recognise a original make ?

4) Which brand is the best in terms of lasting power ? (shooting and stand-by)

5) Can I use Li-On instead of Ni-Mh ?

Any more tips are always welcome.
Old 10th March 2008, 15:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

are your batteries 2300mAh capacity? in my case, the sony charger has conked soon after buying.. i was very upset! the damn thing is an original sony, made in japan and paid some 2000 bucks. so i have batteries but no charger ;-)

1 year is too early, unless there are too many charge cycles. (user manual might contain some info if you still have it.)

if you visit any upmarket digital camera shops, you can find original batteries. Metro in Bangalore has plenty of choice.

Lasting power = capacity. I have seen batteries with 2800mAh max so far.

What has been working (for my digital MP3 player) extremely satisfactorily is the el-cheapo Eveready rechargeable batteries (just 700mAh though) which you can buy from any small shop/medical stores,etc. Camera needs higher capacity batteries.

if you have the user manual handy, you should be able find what batteries the charger can charge: Ni-MH, Ni-Cd and what capacity range, and accordingly you can buy a new set of batteries of any make. Duracell rechargeables might be promising given their reputation!

What I noticed is that I don't use my camera that often, which makes it unsuitable for rechargeable batteries. So I am sticking to regular Duracell. Rechargeable batteries need regular charge/discharge cycles. Otherwise they lose their juice fast. IMHO.
Old 10th March 2008, 15:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have seen Health & Glow outlets stocking Sony rechargeable batteries along with the chargers, Each set costs approx INR 900/-.
Old 10th March 2008, 15:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
are your batteries 2300mAh capacity?
No - it is 2100 mAH capacity
Old 10th March 2008, 16:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
...Rechargeable batteries need regular charge/discharge cycles. Otherwise they lose their juice fast...
Very true : and this is one important factor which determines the life of the batteries as well.
Old 10th March 2008, 16:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

NC how frequently you have been charging them? They have limited charging cycles, but 1 year seems a bit early.
Old 10th March 2008, 16:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ni-mh are prone to the memory effect,so if you don't drain the battery completely this is the result.
Old 10th March 2008, 16:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

N_C, I have used rechargeable AA extensively. I would advise you to stay away from Sony rechargeable AA batteries.

The brands I would advise you to buy are Chameleon, Sanyo and Duracell. Uniross also make excellent batteries but the only pair I bought lost their skin in less than a year. Not nice.

For your camera I would suggest 2300 upwards. You can buy Duracell etc. from large format electronics stores (Croma, Hypercity etc.) and from most photo shops.
Old 10th March 2008, 16:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Since you live in mumbai, you can visit Chroma store in your locality and pick up these:

Sony AA 2300mAh NiMH Rechargeable Battery for DIGICAM/CAMCORDERS/RC TOYS** gifts in india at rediff shopping

In Chroma Malad, they were available for ~450 for 2 Cells last time I visited.
Old 10th March 2008, 16:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

See if you can get some Uniross batteries. I have had mine for nealry 5 years and they still work like new.

I had a duracell 15 minute charger and batteries and it was my worst buy ever. The batteries leaked in the charger on the first charge. Took it back and got a Uniross charger and batteries.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:01   #11
BHPian

I have GP 1800 (3yrs), 2300(2yrs), Panasonic 1800(3yrs), and another german local brand 2600 (6 mths) all bought in Germany. All are still performing. I make it a point to recharge them every month or at least every 2 months after draining them fully.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:39   #12
BHPian

My experience with Energizer (2500mAh) has been very good. So would suggest the same to you NC.
Got a pair from chroma for Rs.400
Old 10th March 2008, 17:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I would advise you to stay away from Sony rechargeable AA batteries.

The brands I would advise you to buy are Chameleon, Sanyo and Duracell.

I am using 2 pairs of Sony 2700mAH rechargeable batteries for the last 19 months & i have had no such problems. One thing i did notice though is that the power on these batteries do not last for more than 48 hours even if they are not used.
On the other hand, i tried chameleon & it changed colours pretty fast. On a normal usage of about 6 recharges in a month, the chameleons lasted me whole 8 months.

@N_C , try to find the right shop. I have also had friends telling me that there are many Sony fakes in the market.
Old 10th March 2008, 18:20   #14
BHPian

I suggest you get Camelion 2500 (and up) mAh batteries,from JJMehta.

Edit
: Consider buying a Camelion charger as well.

Last edited by airfoil : 10th March 2008 at 18:23. Reason: +text
Old 10th March 2008, 18:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
On the other hand, i tried chameleon & it changed colours pretty fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I suggest you get Camelion 2500 (and up) mAh batteries,from JJMehta.

correcting myself camelion, got fooled by sam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks