Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 11:14   #136
BHPian

I think MMS is only on 3GS. And the Airtel have to "enable" something.
Old 11th June 2009, 11:46   #137
Team-BHP Support

Yup i think Airtel has to enable the same. Good thing now you get additional information for message sending failed unlike previous versions.

There are lot of small changes but significant ones which will keep the critics quite
Old 12th June 2009, 13:09   #138
BHPian

Jaggu, it seems you have the official airtel iphone, am not sure though.
The thing is that 3gs with contract comes to 199$ and without contract goes to 599$.
So why not buy it with contract and then unlock it. But am not sure that the contract version can be unlocked or not.
My apologies to mods, if the unlock topic is not allowed. Please advise.
Old 12th June 2009, 14:48   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Jaggu, it seems you have the official airtel iphone, am not sure though.
The thing is that 3gs with contract comes to 199$ and without contract goes to 599$.
So why not buy it with contract and then unlock it. But am not sure that the contract version can be unlocked or not.
My apologies to mods, if the unlock topic is not allowed. Please advise.
Do you know you(actually the one who buys it in US, and he must have a social security number) have to pay for the contract? The contract free phones are the only option.

I wonder why people don't get the point easily. :P
Old 12th June 2009, 16:08   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
Do you know you(actually the one who buys it in US, and he must have a social security number) have to pay for the contract? The contract free phones are the only option.

I wonder why people don't get the point easily. :P
Firstly its possible to get an iphone without the SSN. Though there are news flowing around that its not possible to buy without the SS number.
I have a cousin in "Michigan" (Mr. singh i hope you know where that place is, oh actually it's in US) said he bought an Iphone while no question was asked was about the "Social Security number". He just paid in "CASH" and walked out.
Even his friend staying in UK bought the phone from US without having asked about the SSN, albeit was asked about the zip code.
Please don't think that we don't have the knowledge before we post.
"I wonder why people don't get the point easily" - And next time be respectful in commenting.
Old 12th June 2009, 16:41   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
The contract free phones are the only option.
Not strictly true. There are places in Bangalore and Mumbai where you can get iPhone 3G's for less than what Airtel is selling in India. These phones are usually from the US, and you have to unlock them yourself. So, phones will be available. Whether it is possible to unlock 3GS, has yet to be seen.
Old 12th June 2009, 17:53   #142
Team-BHP Support

I have done the whole research of doing unlock/buying an official unlocked etc Finally the least hassle route was to pick one up from namma bengaluru through Airtle and if i wait till Aug 09 (1 year) i can request them for an unlock also.

So this 199 and 599$ doesnt make sense to me.
Old 12th June 2009, 18:46   #143
BHPian

Jaggu, I heard that iPhone 16GB 3G's were available for about 25 or 26K. That is a massive saving compared to the 33K you have to shell out to Airtel, plus the Airtel iPhone plan you have to take.

But, you are right. If you want warranty and peace of mind, buy from Airtel or Vodafone.
Old 12th June 2009, 19:15   #144
Team-BHP Support

I dont have any additional plan for iPhone from Airtel, on the contrary i have 500 MB/per month free from Airtel for the first 12 months, during which i cannot unlock the set. So am saving more than Rs 6000 by avoiding the MO plan i would otherwise pay for the 12 months and that too limited to free 100 mb/month. So net effect i got the 16GB phone for 30k INR.

I have a virgin phone with full warranty and no hang up's and would prefer to keep it that way since my work depends on it
Old 12th June 2009, 21:50   #145
BHPian

Jaggu, my friend has an unlocked first gen iPhone. He is having a post paid plan and has got the unlimited internet plan for Rs 1500 per year. His monthly rate for the post paid bills is about Rs 300.

I thought that you had to sign up for a special Airtel plan when you bought the phone. Looks like I might be wrong.

PS: What happens when you go above 500MB? What happens after 12 months and what will be the rate then?
Old 26th August 2009, 05:20   #146
BHPian

Rs. 1500 for unlimited internet for a year?? Is it the GPRS service for mobile only or can it be connected to the laptop and used too?
Old 26th August 2009, 10:19   #147
Team-BHP Support

It can be connected to a laptop or computer if required, if you have the OS 3 running on the phone.
Old 26th August 2009, 15:57   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It can be connected to a laptop or computer if required, if you have the OS 3 running on the phone.
even if you have old os you can connect to lappy by thirdparty software like iphone modem and teethering
Old 26th August 2009, 16:15   #149
Team-BHP Support

ie if you have a jail broken piece then again those are messy compared to built in app, which is more plug and surf.
Old 6th September 2009, 20:23   #150
BHPian

Hey Jaggu, how long doe it take for your iphone to completely charge from nill?? and how long does it stay? in my phone battery stays only when applications are installed in the phone. After i restore the phone with no applications at all, then battery stays for a day. Do you face any such problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks