Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 23:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

iPhone - A costly review, by a mad man! Officially unlocked now!

After spending 36 grand on the iPhone and with the final push from Finney, i thought i will write a quick comparo with HTC touch (my previous phone). Though i might tread to other handsets like Nokia's and SE's that might have crossed my path.

Maybe Touch might be a wrong comparision, but i think it offers great value at the current price of 13-14k INR. Touch Diamond would be a better rival but i dont have access to one right now and wouldnt do justice to it.

ps: I might be biased to iPhone since am Madly in love with it, i better be after spending so much moolah.

Hardware:

iPhone: Looks will kill, i had "wide open mouth" phenomenon when i saw the babe in real at midnight. No other phone ever gave me this feeling. Maybe the build up added to the feeling. Within 30 mts i was sad seeing all the finger print, oil residue and what not all over it. Its a pain to handle if you are particular of keeping it clean and shiny. The HTC's and Nokia covers the usage much better off.

Delicate darling she is, drop it and you will regret, didnt even come with a case. My previous Touch on the other hand came with a neat cover, well padded, which saved my phone, when it fell from 1 floor of office! Anyday it feels more tough compared to iPhone. Have bought a temp cloth case from "call mate" for now, till i lay my hands on something similar to Touch cover.

Now to restrain me, i have used the spec list from iPhone site for comparison.

Home Screen:

iPhone: Shortcuts can be arranged according to your preference and grouped into multiple home screens. iPhone has a very unique home screen and the UI experience is the best. If you ask me the reason why i fell for the phone, its UI.

Win mob: again has a pretty decent home screen, good part is one can use 3rd party tools to customize it. HTC with the introduction of Touch flo has bridged the gap to iPhone to a great extent, but they have lot to catch up.

Phone:

iPhone: UI wins here also, all the functionalities are a click or two away, and only thing i would miss is D9 (dial pad recall of contact names). Favourits more than make up for this, unlike Win mob, iPhone can add more numbers as favourite/quick dial.

Sound clarity is brilliant, much better compared to Nokia's and Win Mob, Voice has more bass and sound "oh so natural", you can actually get carried away with you fav feminine voice on the other side of the phone

Win mob: Compared to symbian win mob is way ahead, atleast thats what i have felt with phone front (not voice). Once you start using the phone and the contact, you will fall in love with it. Those small details and ease of use menus really spoil you.

Mail:

iPhone: Oh lala, was a breeze to configure it, i tried imap, pop and exchange. Only imap had a small issue, even syncing using itunes, the imap account didnt resolve the issue. My office server ports were diff from what the phone had detected, after some head scratching i could resolve it.

Regular emailing is a breeze, but unfortunately you cant have the privilege of editing your attachments!! During review and budget season this is a headache for me, since excel rules office. Hopefully apple will come with an upgrade. Another missing feature is the facility to have diff address book folders.

A small accident happened while syncing, i had backed up my wifee phone contact book, while she butchered her old phone, this was a separate add book folder and it got synced along with the main add book which had my contacts lol. I could undo this easily but still gave a headache.

Win mob: Similar functionality, though the option of jumping in and out of diff folders without retracing your path is a killer, compared to iPhone's conservative approach to email client. Again it supports most of word and excel editing. Might give Win Mob half a star more here.

Safari:

iPhone: One of its strong points, though flash is not supported (useless according to me on mob phone), it pretty much acts as a PC for you. Its addictive and will land you with big data usage bills. I even started moderating through iPhone (easy way to get over boring meetings) lol.

Ok with some stress test on the phone and a site with lot of errors (confirmed with dev capsule on safari) Safari froze once, but recovered the phone with a simple restart.

Win mob: Pocket IE suckz! I used Opera and it was pretty ok, though the free version i used was pretty buggy. New opera which comes with Touch Diamond is quite ok, but eats up memory. Again it might not be really a browser issue, but Win mob phones have a bad memory leak issue, no matter what, if you browse alot, phone will hang in a weeks time.

iPod:

iPhone: Audio/Video it works like a charm. I hate iTunes and its restrictions, i lost 28GB of rare selections due to iTune's accident! I will not forgive apple for this. Sound is best at equalizer at flat, EQ ON gave me not so good feel, compared to the regular iPod.

Love the stock 3.5 mm jack, i can use it along with my cassette attachment to listen to music, as well as use it as a speaker phone!!! Works brilliant!!!

Win mob: Media player is just about average and nothing to talk about. It will not give you any addiction to MP3's, that much i can tell.

SMS:

iPhone: Threaded SMS is kewl, and addictive. Lack of cut paste and fwd so pre historic. Suddenly you realize that Cut/Copy/Paste is so important and you had taken it for granted. Saving grace is hyperlinked numbers, which can be used to make a call or saving to address book.

Win mob: I forgot it was SMS, gave me an impression of emailing. Ill summarize at that, here win mob wins!

Maps with GPS:

iPhone: Damn fast! Fixes happen in a jiffy, AGPS is a boon. Lack of proper software is an issue, if you are in a new city, you will have to stop and ask, no other way right now. Data bill will go up and if network gives up, you are stranded without a map also.

Win mob: Software's makes the diff, the turn by turn navigation and option of purchase map is pretty good. India is also well covered by vendors, though pricing might be a lil high. Only issue would be slower GPS fix, felt this both in Win Mob as well as Nokia N95, might be cured by newer chips.

GPS eats battery on both the hardware.

iTunes:

iPhone: Too many restrictions and i dont like it. Apart from my loss of 28GB worth of songs, it even doesnt let you sync songs to your liking, what if i had songs spread across 3 machines? Good part is, it will warn you and prompt, while making changes in calendar and bookmarks.

Back up, upgrade and restore seemed quite easy in iTunes.

Win Mob: No dependency apart from that of Active sync, but again has issues with number of machines that can be synced at a particular time. The way the data is managed is left to you, as in, i will not be forced to delete anything coz it was originally from another machine. Still very convenient compared to iTunes. File browsing is a killer, just like your PC you can roam around inside the folders of your phone, as well as your memory card.

Nokia's software that way is quite comprehensive and covers the plus of both iTunes and Active sync, i atleast always loved it.

App Store:

iPhone: Browsed and downloaded couple of apps before i bought the phone, then deleted everything, since most of the issues faced in 3G was reportedly caused by these apps. I will finish my running in without apps, and then slowly start loading them. Dont want to get into paid vs free discussion, since both has its plus and minus and is applicable to winmob and for that matter symbian. So far no bugs in my phone, works like a charm, so am convinced more to keep her a virgin, as long as i can resist.

Win mob: Again if you research you can pick up tons of apps, careful while loading though, since some of them can really corrupt your phone. But developer community is quite big and very resourceful, hacks and unlocking is easier and Microsoft doesnt really care much about it.

Calendar:

iPhone: Its a plain jane calendar but the bigger and better UI is really helpful, lets you put big notes inside an appointment (really useful tool for me)

Win mob: Again decent calendar and i think it has a better integration with Microsoft products.

YouTube:

iPhone: Has a dedicated version which optimizes the content for the phone, somehow speeds were not great in wifi as well as EDGE. Clarity though was pretty ok.

Win mob: Supports the you tube, though doesnt have any dedicated location with optimized for phone versions of the files. Again the hardware and software doesn do justice on a win mob.

Photos + Camera:

iPhone: Photo's are brilliant if you have ok lighting, much better compared to many other phones. No way to control resolution, everything is shot in max 2 meg pix is what i understand. It feels that software enhances the pics to give it amazing quality on the phone, this is lil bit lost when the same pic is viewed in a comp. No video, though apps are out already. No zoom and pan also.

Win mob: Cams just about ok, newer 5 meg px et all in Nokia's and SE's are quite good, and flash a boon in certain situations. Video capture in new phones is brilliant, can be easily hooked up to a TV to view in full screen mode, just like a handy cam. Way ahead of iPhone. Scores big time rather.

Stocks, Weather, Notes:
Apps which come with iPhone but that can be easily procured for other handsets also. Presentation layer does make a diff in iPhone, thats all.

Calculator:

iPhone: Useful tool for me, esp the way in which it can be turned to scientific by just a turn.

Win mob: has a basic but decent unit.

3G:

Dont have it in India, ill let it pass for now. I dont miss it either, since i access wifi at home and during 1/3 of my office time.

Multi-Touch:

iPhone: This plays the second most imp role to give the "experience", Apple is 2 steps ahead and it will take a lot of time for others to catch up. Keyboard input is breeze, though wish that they would extend landscape mode to more applications. Dictionary is very good and a good learner, the magnifying glass to move around text while editing is funky.

Win mob: Keyboard (esp HTC), has many options, to suite your taste and mood, can be further customized with downloadable add on's. Along with the T9 it made typing big emails very easy.

HTC is competing with UI also but is still at a superficial layer, and has not extended it to the win operating system layer.

GPS:

iPhone: Hardware wins, software looses.

Win Mob: Software wins, hardware looses.

Accelerometer:

iPhone: After the novelty fades out you will start to appreciate it more, though i wish its available at any point of time, under any apps. Cant wait to try out games with this.

Win Mob: Cant comment much since i havent used diamond.

Sensors:

iPhone: Proximity sensor rocks, no accidental pressing while on call. Light sensors are lil slow and sometimes finicky, but works at the end of the day.

Others: Nokia has a better light sensor.

Keyboard:

iPhone: Its touch screen, so you like it OR hate it. I have been using one since Nokia 7111 so quite used to it, its very sensitive and needs just a soft caress. Love it.

Win mob: Ones with hardware support is best, otherwise the ones that comes with HTC are quite good. Though the screen needs more effort compared to iPhone.

So thats it for now, this is a first cut feel from my side, more as i complete more charge cycles. Request you all not to take it too serious a review and feel free to correct and criticize me

cheers
Jaggu
Old 27th August 2008, 00:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review. I'm a big Mac fan and use MBP for work and iMAC at home. The only thing that is stopping me from buying iPhone is the lack of better camera. I am hooked to my N82 for its fantastic still and video capabilities.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:35   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

heyyy jaggu congrats!!! so wot color did u opt for ? white or black ?
Old 27th August 2008, 01:41   #4
BANNED

Congratulations Jaggu!
Could understand your excitement on the day of launch itself.
Thanks for this review. Cleared out many doubts I had about the phone.

36k! Phew!! It's a whopper for this beauty.
Old 27th August 2008, 05:27   #5
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

congrats jaggu for the beauty...well omnia will give tuff to iphone..lets wait and watch, i hope apple adds bluetooth transfer in their next update

Last edited by aah78 : 27th August 2008 at 21:37. Reason: See note.
jeetu4444 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th August 2008, 06:27   #6
BHPian

Thats a very good review Jaggu.

My O2 contract is up for renewal and I am thinking of a BlackBerry Bold or iPhone.There is a huge waiting list for iphone .But all the reviews of BB Bold seems to suggest that it will eat an apple a day for breakfast.
Old 27th August 2008, 06:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
iPhone: Photo's are brilliant if you have ok lighting, much better compared to many other phones. No way to control resolution, everything is shot in max 2 meg pix is what i understand.
Apple never believed in additional control here. Original photo size is 22 cm @ 72dpi. More than enough to pull out a sharp 6X8 inch colour print.
Old 27th August 2008, 06:48   #8
BHPian

thats a really good review. but a question how is the call quality on this one. because the 2G iphone which i have has a really bad call quality. i m holding off just because of this factor. can any one give some info on this ??
Old 27th August 2008, 07:15   #9
BHPian

But it is tooo expensive. Maybe an E71 is top of my mind right now.
Old 27th August 2008, 07:31   #10
BHPian

Congrats on your new toy. Have fun. I was waiting for this, but the price is too prohibitive. So, I have decided to go with Nokia E71.
Old 27th August 2008, 08:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have read in a web page where it lists "Things you cannot do with the iPhone". If they are true, I feel that buying this gadget spending more than 30K is a pure waste of money.

Are there really things you cannot do with the iPhone, which a normal 5K phone can do? MMS? Bluetooth file sharing? Copy paste, cut paste? Forward an SMS? If such simple features are not there, I'd never ever consider buying such a phone.

I feel that the entire range of "i-<Stuff>" products from apple are all hyped up and prohibitively priced. It is always better to buy similar products from other well known manufacturers. For example, instead of an i-Pod, its far better to go for a Creative Zen.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th August 2008 at 08:37.
Old 27th August 2008, 08:54   #12
BHPian

Hey Jaggu how about the battery life and iphone heating up on charging?
Did you experience any of these issues?
If you want the best music quality out of iphone, go in for V-Moda Vibe Duo in ear headphones.Or you can try out the trusted Bose Triport. Will set you back by another 5K, which i know is tough to spend after spending so much on the phone itself.
Old 27th August 2008, 09:09   #13
BHPian

Hi Jaggu - nice, comprehensive, & pretty unbiased review

Here's another comparo...

Apple makes killer products but I personally don't agree with some of their policies (battery renewal for example). If you want a business phone I would say you can do more with a BlackBerry...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your iExperience
Old 27th August 2008, 09:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Are there really things you cannot do with the iPhone, which a normal 5K phone can do? MMS? Bluetooth file sharing? Copy paste, cut paste? Forward an SMS? If such simple features are not there, I'd never ever consider buying such a phone.
Oh yes, its true. The bluetooth is provided only to pair it with a bluetooth headset. Period.

Another drawback which I have seen on the iPhone is the camera which is a measly basic 2 megapixel camera which does not provide any options except... just take the picture. When I pay 30 something thousand for a phone, I do expect a better camera but hey, what the heck!!! Its an iPhone!!!

On the previous gen iPhone (the regular one, not 3G version), there was no FM radio as well (I guess its the same with the current version also). My room mate who is used to listening to the radio while commuting to office was contemplating on whether to buy it or not just because of this and the guy at the counter was like, "Are you buying an iPhone to listen to FM?" Oh come on. Here you are selling a phone for 30 grand and you cannot fit in a feature that a basic phone for 2 grand has? I'm stumped!!!
Old 27th August 2008, 09:38   #15
Team-BHP Support

Thanks all for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Apple never believed in additional control here. Original photo size is 22 cm @ 72dpi. More than enough to pull out a sharp 6X8 inch colour print.
I cant dispute with this info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
but a question how is the call quality on this one. because the 2G iphone which i have has a really bad call quality. i m holding off just because of this factor. can any one give some info on this ??
Brilliant IMPROVEMENT, i can vouch for it and others also have. Good things is the classic upgraded to ver 2 will give slightly better sound in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
But it is tooo expensive. Maybe an E71 is top of my mind right now.
Yes, its EXORBITANT, i will not say that others cant do what iPhone can, diff is iPhone will make you want to do it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have read in a web page where it lists "Things you cannot do with the iPhone". If they are true, I feel that buying this gadget spending more than 30K is a pure waste of money.

I feel that the entire range of "i-<Stuff>" products from apple are all hyped up and prohibitively priced. It is always better to buy similar products from other well known manufacturers. For example, instead of an i-Pod, its far better to go for a Creative Zen.
Reviews are written by you and me but having said that yes pricing is premium. Apart from Copy paste, i havent used any of the other functionality much. Yes Bluetooth modem i would be missing badly.

Then again why do we have "The perfect phone' thread out here? So nothing is perfect yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
Hey Jaggu how about the battery life and iphone heating up on charging?
With wifi ON through out the day, and about 2 hours of usage, batt shows 3/4 mark. While charging from 0% first 40% phone heats like any other normal phone, my previous touch used to heat up more (maybe it had a thinner cover), then it cools down when it goes into trickle charge mode. Apple has a very well thought out charging system in place. Only hick up is batt replacement, thankfully much easier with 3G coz finally screws are accessible!

Carrying additional battery never worked for me, i prefer a car or USB charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Apple makes killer products but I personally don't agree with some of their policies (battery renewal for example). If you want a business phone I would say you can do more with a BlackBerry...[/i]
Yes if you are worried about warranty then DIY ruled out, other wise battery replacement is possible.

Black berry has a encryption system in place, making it very secure, so i am not sure i would compare it with iPhone, even if Apple says so. But after a brief stint with black berry, its a pain to set up. One of our client came down from US and poor chap even though he got it activated with Airtel couldnt get it work, after zillion trips and calls. Secure but complicated.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th August 2008 at 09:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks