Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 18:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
So you mean if i activate the gps thing today and change my number 3 months later i can reactivate the thing again.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
also will i be able to put in a friends sim activate the servise and putback my card again and continue using the service?

No

NOTE: This is something that can change with each version of maps application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
so how do you change the imei??
Need to use

1. Flashing cable (Not the USB Cable, USB port works only after OS Boot in Phone )
2. Any of "Service" packages for S60 phones

PPS: Its way easier to buy 10 -15 days license if you are visiting some city then doing all this jhol.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 11th September 2008 at 18:19.
Old 12th September 2008, 10:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes thats the way for using Nokia maps.

However, Maps for Channai, Mumbai, Delhi and few other cities are preloaded on most GPS phones.

So you need not do anything for Chennai.
I still can't get it to work. It found the satellites and gave me a Lat/Long but nothing beyond that. Is GPRS mandatory to actually see the map? Airtel has not activated mine yet.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 12th September 2008, 14:43   #48
BHPian

Hi Red, have you downloaded the maps, or by any chance did you exchange the 2GB card which came with your phone for something else?
Old 12th September 2008, 16:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

too add to what mav2000 said, which phone are you using and when did you buy it? Newer models should come preloaded with maps 2.0 + maps data on card.
Old 12th September 2008, 17:20   #50
BHPian

Mav2000,
I haven't downloaded maps yet. I am using the 2GB card which came with the phone.

NetfreakBombay,
It's a E71 bought 2 days back.

Finally got thru to a knowledgable Nokia cust service person today and got the foll info:
1. E71 does not come with maps preloaded and I have to go to nokia.co.in/maps to download
2. Paid service is for getting point to point driving directions, places of interest, voice guidance etc. Does not need internet/GPRS
3. Free service is just a map which shows roads and where you currently are. Does not need internet/GPRS

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 12th September 2008, 17:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
1. E71 does not come with maps preloaded and I have to go to nokia.co.in/maps to download
Thats a bummer. I though ALL phones will come pre-loaded with maps

ANyways, downloading maps is a one tiem ting and usually painless.

But a brain-dead thing, Nokia should have known better.
Old 12th September 2008, 18:08   #52
BHPian

@Red One :- I dont understand how you got the phone w/o maps. It comes pre loaded in all E71, i guess you have to check with your dealer/

And Point to Point driving directions with a voice assisted navigation does need internet connectivity to download updates and other info. Then otherwise you can search the maps even without GPRS , why would they call it 3 months free navigation?
Old 14th September 2008, 23:42   #53
BHPian

Hey Guys - I just bought the E71 on Saturday for exactly 20K through Nokia Priority. The phone is August 2008 Manufacture and Import. 2 big concerns here.

1) In the darkness, there is a lot of light leakage between the screen and the keypad. Are you finding the same? Howard Forums has this pretty well documented.
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Um.. is anyone else's E71 like this?

2) My phone refuses to read the 2GB memory card. Do I need to activate something? I tried putting in an old sandisk 128mb card and it won't read this as well.

I am going to the store tomorrow to get this checked out.
Old 15th September 2008, 11:09   #54
BHPian

maps came preloaded on my E71.
the memory card should be read automatically - no need to activate anything. how do you know it doesnt read the card - try installing something. it should give you an option to install on the phone or the card. If you get that, its working fine.
Old 15th September 2008, 12:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfatwork View Post
maps came preloaded on my E71.
the memory card should be read automatically - no need to activate anything. how do you know it doesnt read the card - try installing something. it should give you an option to install on the phone or the card. If you get that, its working fine.
I kept getting an error - Card Not Found. Went to the Priority Store and they have exchanged the phone.

Now memory card works and the new handset still has some light leakage, but it is less compared to the other phone. I guess this just a design defect.

Anyone else facing this issue?
Old 15th September 2008, 14:29   #56
BHPian

Yes there is some light leakage uder the screen towards the keypad, but i guess thats the usual design flaw from nokia, like the not to tight slider in the n95 or the keypad - screen problem in the e90. Nothing that you cant live with however.
Old 15th September 2008, 14:40   #57
BHPian

Have used the E71 for a month now. Its a good business phone and I have also got mapmyindia software loaded which I am trying to decipher. The main challenge I face is in the office mail as the 'Good' software does not work with this version of the Sym software. This is a known bug and the 'Good' team is expected to release a fix by end Sept or so.

Rgds
Old 15th September 2008, 14:45   #58
BHPian

Hi,

Didnt understand the "Good" part??
Old 15th September 2008, 15:01   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Hi,

Didnt understand the "Good" part??
Motorola Good Technology Group

Enterprise email / security / management etc.
Old 15th September 2008, 16:43   #60
BHPian

How is the mapmyindia software going. is it good? Are the maps accurate and more importantly does it work on the new screen orientation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks