Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 13:56   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I am sure BB Connect can be made to work on E71, just like I have got it to work on E51 (through a minor jugaad). When you go to Nokiaforbusienss.com website to downlaod the BB Connect software client, just select Operator as "Other" and download the application. BB Services work flawlessly with that. Google around and I am sure a similar 'crack' exists for E71 as well.
Yeah, we can always try Jugaads and Cracks ;-)

But Nokia has officially decided not to give any BB support to E71 and E90...to promote their MFE program. This is what I heard.
Old 6th November 2008, 14:01   #92
BHPian

Any software updates to the e71?
Old 6th November 2008, 14:09   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Yup, apparantly the service centers have a firmware update available, but it has not yet been posted to the Nokia Updater on the website. Dont remember the version, but Google can help!
Old 6th November 2008, 14:14   #94
Senior - BHPian

Firmware update SW version 110.07.127

Quote:
Apparently there is

Quote:
A couple of days after the Nokia E90 moved to Firmware v300 just another business device gets a new firmware version. The Nokia E71 hits version 110.07.127 now which brings some improvements and new features. The update should be available in the next few days.
New features in MCU SW version 110.07.127:
- Nokia Email client for Nokia Email service in user disk (visible in countries where service is available)
- Mail for Exchange 2.5.5
- New Maps 2.0 release
- New Voip release
- New Switch release
- New Download! Release
- Y-drive for WMDRM protected files

Changes/improvements made to MCU SW version 110.07.127:
- Email set-up improvements
- Maps 2.0 improvements
- Music library refresh function performance improvement
- Browser improvements
- Bluetooth improvements
- Camera improvements
Nokia E71: New Firmware v110.07.127 and Changelog
Old 6th November 2008, 14:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

Im facing a very strange issue with my e71. Most of the times when i press the 'menu' button, the phone restarts itself. Moreover, i have this problem right frm the day i purchased it i.e 10 days. Showed the phone to the Nokia dealership, but they are unable to solve the issue. Infact, the phone has been so consistent that it restarts 2-3 time everyday. So much for loyalty.
What should i do now? A firmware update or ask for a replacement?
Thanks.
Old 6th November 2008, 14:41   #96
BHPian

Why dont you try a hard reset so any software issues are ruled out. if the problem persists after this then there is a hardware problem.
Old 7th November 2008, 00:11   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why dont you try a hard reset so any software issues are ruled out. if the problem persists after this then there is a hardware problem.
Pardon my ignorance, but do you mean 'reset factory settings' by that?
Old 7th November 2008, 11:41   #98
BHPian

Nope I mean hard reset, the factory settings usually is a soft reset only. the code for the same is *#7370# . This will delete all data from your phone memory and only the memory card will be spared. So please back up all your data before doing this. Then turn it on and see if it works fine. Let us know if this works,
Old 7th November 2008, 18:06   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope I mean hard reset, the factory settings usually is a soft reset only. the code for the same is *#7370# . This will delete all data from your phone memory and only the memory card will be spared. So please back up all your data before doing this. Then turn it on and see if it works fine. Let us know if this works,
Ahhh ok. I'll back up my data and reset it tonight. Hope this works. Will update you on the same after i see the functioning a couple of days.
Thanks.
Old 9th November 2008, 10:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

Anyone want to risk trying this out ?

Rm-346 e71 110.07.127 euro
E71 New Firmware 110.07.127 EURO & MEA Version - GSM-Forum

Last edited by bottle : 9th November 2008 at 10:48.
Old 10th November 2008, 13:37   #101
BHPian

Hi,

I've had the E 71 for about a month now and here are my observations:

Looks:

Looks absolutely stunning. Its very sleek and light too compared to my earlier Palm Treo 680. The steel burnished doesnt scratch easily if its kept within the leather/ pseudo leather case. However, the inner lining gets loosened up with time so u need to keep sticking it with super glue or sumtn.

Features:

Some extremely useful features like the business card reader, GPS (tho there are no Nokia maps for Kolkaya yet). Any idea of Nokia has launched them for Kolkata, The camera sucks big time...and its an understatement. I cannot take a vaguely presentable photograph no matter what the conditions are. This is the singular most horrible feature on the phone. Another issue is with the selection of multiple entries. I wish there was a dedicated selection button based on which we could mark all the relevant entries rather than going into the menu everytime. (Any idea if there are any shortcuts for this). The speaker is also not the best consdierng its a business phone and one may need to use the speakerphone often.

Keypad:

I think the key pad is extremely user friendly and the keys are perfect for use. Yes, u need to use ur nails but it does the job of punching an sms or a quick email very well. Also, since its rubberised, its non slip.

Software:

The initial two weeks were good with no glitches whatsoever. But, lately, I've been seeing that after prolonged sms'es, I cant get into the menu by pressing the Home key. I need to restart the phone for this. Extremely strange, but its come to be expected from the E series. Also, if u let loose a few applications quickly, the phone hangs and needs a restart.

On the whole, The pluses and minuses are:

+
1. Sleek looks
2. Good keypad
3. Features

-
1. Horrrid Camera
2. Medicre speaker
3. Strange E series software glitches

Regards
Premjit
Old 10th November 2008, 14:33   #102
Senior - BHPian

Ya do agree with you on most points.

One thing i wanted to ask all you guys - does the GPS maps etc use the GPRS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
Hi,

I've had the E 71 for about a month now and here are my observations:

Looks:

Looks absolutely stunning. Its very sleek and light too compared to my earlier Palm Treo 680. The steel burnished doesnt scratch easily if its kept within the leather/ pseudo leather case. However, the inner lining gets loosened up with time so u need to keep sticking it with super glue or sumtn.

Features:

Some extremely useful features like the business card reader, GPS (tho there are no Nokia maps for Kolkaya yet). Any idea of Nokia has launched them for Kolkata, The camera sucks big time...and its an understatement. I cannot take a vaguely presentable photograph no matter what the conditions are. This is the singular most horrible feature on the phone. Another issue is with the selection of multiple entries. I wish there was a dedicated selection button based on which we could mark all the relevant entries rather than going into the menu everytime. (Any idea if there are any shortcuts for this). The speaker is also not the best consdierng its a business phone and one may need to use the speakerphone often.

Keypad:

I think the key pad is extremely user friendly and the keys are perfect for use. Yes, u need to use ur nails but it does the job of punching an sms or a quick email very well. Also, since its rubberised, its non slip.

Software:

The initial two weeks were good with no glitches whatsoever. But, lately, I've been seeing that after prolonged sms'es, I cant get into the menu by pressing the Home key. I need to restart the phone for this. Extremely strange, but its come to be expected from the E series. Also, if u let loose a few applications quickly, the phone hangs and needs a restart.

On the whole, The pluses and minuses are:

+
1. Sleek looks
2. Good keypad
3. Features

-
1. Horrrid Camera
2. Medicre speaker
3. Strange E series software glitches

Regards
Premjit
Old 10th November 2008, 14:57   #103
BHPian

Yup it does use GPRS, but i think its more for the search feature than for finding your location. About choosing multiple items, you can use the shift key along with the down or up arrow key to do this. Its just like you would do it on your PC. Try it.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:15   #104
Senior - BHPian

actually i havent used the GPS much. will be great if you can in short tell me the features it has

Quote:
Yup it does use GPRS, but i think its more for the search feature than for finding your location. About choosing multiple items, you can use the shift key along with the down or up arrow key to do this. Its just like you would do it on your PC. Try it.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:57   #105
BHPian

Well its quite decent. You can use it to pinpoint your location, to search for services around your current location, like ATM, resturants, hotels etc. and also you can use the 3 month free navigation to drive from one place to another with voise and on screen guidance. After the 3 month free license its pretty expensive, so a stand alone gps would work out cheaper. The maps are ok, not as good as mapmyindia, but passable. most of the new points of interest have not been updated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks