Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 15:51   #16
BHPian

deepclutch - what is an entry level linux?
Old 7th November 2008, 19:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
Hi, I too created a 2GB USB startup drive. I'm able to successfully launch ubuntu from the USB. But however, when I make any changes, the changes are not saved and the USB drive becomes corrupt. For example, say I change the Wall Paper and shut down Ubuntu, it shuts down perfectly. But after that, I'm not able to boot from the USB pen drive. It shows up the Ubuntu start up screen and hangs there for ever. Do you face this problem as well? I use SanDisk cruzer micro 2GB.

Regards!
I did not face this problem. The changes such as walpaper get saved. What might have happened in your case is that you might have selected the defaults while making the USB startup disk. The default for saving settings and documents is 128MB. I increased it by moving the slider all the way, which gave me almost the entire disk. As far as the hanging problem is concerned, make sure that you selected the correct source while making the startup disk.

Try this and see.
Old 8th November 2008, 15:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfatwork View Post
deepclutch - what is an entry level linux?
as in you just installed it to see the way Linux distro works!you dont want to tinker with package management or serious work.
For them Mandriva is a sure eye puller with all compiz 3D effect which can pwn Vi$ta .

Debian and Slackware are two good distros which are mostly employed in mission critical applications.for eg: Mars explorer was powered by Debian Woody AFAIK.

@aagoswami:I think last post of mine may not be clear for you.
go through this forum for more info:
Ubuntu Forums

Boot parameter's I gave are to be used in the boot screen ,last option(bottom one) ,where you can add these options typing them and press enter.
"noacpi nolapic irqpoll " without quote.

Last edited by deepclutch : 8th November 2008 at 15:19.
Old 8th November 2008, 15:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

What i didn't like in 8.10 is the Gnome Network Manager. It doesn't let me use the network/interfaces file and nor does it work reliably in getting me a DHCP lease from my cable modem. I tried making my interfaces not to be manged by Network Manager and tried manually entering the network parameters in interfaces file. but still no hope. Strange enough i do get a DHCP lease from my office network when i plug it in there, but not from my cable modem. This is an issue that i am looking forward to rectifying, once this is done i shall be happy with 8.10.

I use a 64bit Ubuntu 8.10 version installed in my AMD laptop. At office my desktop is Kubuntu 8.04, not yet upgraded to 8.10. We basically work with FreeBSD at our office.

WiFi is working fine in Intrepid Ibex out of the box. This was not the case with 7.10 or 8.04 especially in my laptop.
Old 8th November 2008, 15:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

first what I do in any Linux distro is to purge out RH's network manager and its front ends(I am anyways on a standalone PC).then the mono(.net crap) thing.that you can do very easy from synaptic.

with network manager enabled ,you may need to restart network(in a terminal - sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart) to enable dhcp.
Old 8th November 2008, 15:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post

@aagoswami:I think last post of mine may not be clear for you.
go through this forum for more info:
Ubuntu Forums

Boot parameter's I gave are to be used in the boot screen ,last option(bottom one) ,where you can add these options typing them and press enter.
"noacpi nolapic irqpoll " without quote.
No I got your point and my friend who is working with Ubuntu since version 5 knew all these and told me he can do it.
I never indulge into these kernel specific commands and mostly the commands I know are through OS for mounting a drive ,etc, nothing else.
I took my machine and he had earlier downloaded ubuntu for me. Wrote a boot CD and I asked him to try out this luck on my machine, but he could not succeed. Kernel Panic was error.
Tried to install Ubuntu with Fedoara 9, but again the same error. Then even Fedora gave kernel error. Bios was reset and now again Fedora is working.
To know if its HDD that is creating problem, I took another friend's 500GB HDD ( I am in process of assembling his new CPU and RAM and HDD have arrived ), disconnected all the present HDD in my PC and tried to install Ubuntu. Kernel Panic was the error. Intsalled XP and then Fedora 9 in dual boot in that HDD and it worked.
Old 8th November 2008, 16:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

^did you checked whether all the harddisks ports are enabled."extended mode" not AHCI mode in BIOS.your configuration is supported in Linux.some kernel parameter may be needed.and those are only for enabling/disabling ACPI ,APIC etc nothing to do with your hardware!

I can help you.you said you got fedora installed.can you open a terminal in Gnome/kde and post the output of "sudo fdisk -l" without quotes?and post the output here.
1) either all harddisk controllers are not enabled - so check for such an option in your BIOS .
2) Ubuntu installer CD's initrd image is corrupted(I dont think so!).

Post the o/p from terminal.

also ,please go through Ubuntu Forums

EDIT: if you got the bandwidth ,download this ISO and burn as a CD :
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ubun...nate-amd64.iso

Last edited by deepclutch : 8th November 2008 at 16:05.
Old 8th November 2008, 17:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^did you checked whether all the harddisks ports are enabled."extended mode" not AHCI mode in BIOS.your configuration is supported in Linux.some kernel parameter may be needed.and those are only for enabling/disabling ACPI ,APIC etc nothing to do with your hardware!

I can help you.you said you got fedora installed.can you open a terminal in Gnome/kde and post the output of "sudo fdisk -l" without quotes?and post the output here.
1) either all harddisk controllers are not enabled - so check for such an option in your BIOS .
2) Ubuntu installer CD's initrd image is corrupted(I dont think so!).

Post the o/p from terminal.

also ,please go through Ubuntu Forums

EDIT: if you got the bandwidth ,download this ISO and burn as a CD :
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ubun...nate-amd64.iso
Thanks for helping me a lot!
I think I wont be now going for Ubuntu as Fedora is working well. Basically, when I use to save me from virus and take out infected files from Window XP.
But regarding my query, BIOS has all HDD enabled and Ubuntu ISO which we wrote had no issues. We checked for this through ISO buster and had no problems reported. This has something to do with BIOS. BIOS for my mobo is 3.5 and I am using just 2.6. As it is working stable, I dont have any plants to update the BIOS.
I dont have sufficient bandwidth. 3G in mobile = 2MBPS bandwidth but what I have is " Broadband " 150 kbps connection and download speed are 12-15 kpbs. Usually its one MB per minute.
Again thanks for offering fantastic help and I also learned a lot from it as usually I am off to ripping my hardware.
Old 8th November 2008, 17:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
first what I do in any Linux distro is to purge out RH's network manager and its front ends(I am anyways on a standalone PC).then the mono(.net crap) thing.that you can do very easy from synaptic.

with network manager enabled ,you may need to restart network(in a terminal - sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart) to enable dhcp.
I did try the restarting the network but what happens is it doesn't even try to get itself a DHCP lease! This very same issue is being discussed in their bugs thread at ubuntuforums, many are not satisfied with network manager bundled with 8.10, and it's really integrated in 8.10. I tried disabling it as they suggested by editing the Network manager's conf file. But that didn't work.

The thing i don;t understand is why is it not getting a DHCP lease from my cable modem but at the same time there is no issues with my Office's DHCP server! It's not the mac address issue with the cable modem, i know, because with 8.04 it was working fine.
Old 8th November 2008, 18:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

FIrst remove network-manager and company.else below config etc wont work.
what is your /etc/network/interfaces file?
make sure it is as follows:
--
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

--
run(alt+f2) "gksudo gedit your /etc/network/interfaces" and edit.

make sure dhclient is running.

AFAIK you can use "network-admin" gui tool to configure that.

~~
and why not remove or disable network-manager?it is buggy and messy with its HAL integration done.
check the o/p of ifconfig to see the status of eth0/1 .

Last edited by deepclutch : 8th November 2008 at 18:33.
Old 28th November 2008, 22:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Deepclutch:
I am recently trying to download 8.10 with my " 15 kbps download speeed broadband ".
I had a few queries.

1) I am used to fedora. I absolutely had no issues using USB on Fedora and infact USB is faster in Fedora than even Vista.
Now does Ubuntu 8.10 has inbuilt support for USB like Fedora 6,7,8 and 9 ? Or I need to install drivers ?

2) How to install a music player in Ubuntu/Fedora ? I am not able to do so. As soon as I click and start, there wont be any progress. Do I need to use command line for this ?

3) In fedora updating firefox was easy " yum update firefox " and it was done. But how to install firefox in Ubuntu 8.10 as ubuntu is not yum ?

4) How to mount a windows drive in Ubuntu 8.10 ? Is it like sda dev as in Fedora ?

I am shifting from Fedora to Ubuntu as its lighter.
How long will the CD take to reach me ? I am trying to download since morning but no good progress. Only 25 % completed and I need it urgently to save Windows.
Old 28th November 2008, 22:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

my advice to everyone(including regular ubuntu users) . give 8.10 a miss, unless you have severe wi fi problems which you have strong reason to believe are fixed in this version. This one's just too buggy. wait for the next version, or better yet, the next LTS version.
I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and regret it, way, WAY too many bugs - pulseaudio, UI, networking.....

Last edited by greenhorn : 28th November 2008 at 22:40.
Old 28th November 2008, 22:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
my advice to everyone(including regular ubuntu users) . give 8.10 a miss, unless you have severe wi fi problems which you have strong reason to believe are fixed in this version. This one's just too buggy. wait for the next version, or better yet, the next LTS version.
I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and regret it

I am not using Wi-fi. Thanks.
Old 28th November 2008, 22:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

I dont regret !8.10 is working awesome for me.I am interested in checking Fedora 10 ,will download(whenever dataone works!).
oh! Fedora 10 released!
Old 28th November 2008, 22:48   #30
BANNED

goswamiji, check tuxmobil.org for guides on installing on your laptop.

And just out of curiosity, I looked at my /var/log/installer/syslog. Here are the first few lines:-

Quote:
May 27 10:13:00 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.00-pre10 (Debian 20040623-1ubuntu13)
May 27 10:13:00 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.00-pre10 (Debian 20040623-1ubuntu13)
May 27 10:13:00 kernel: Bootdata ok (command line is preseed/file=/cdrom/preseed/server.seed DEBCON
F_PRIORITY=low vga=normal initrd=/install/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=12288 root=/dev/rd/0 rw -- BOOT_IM
AGE=/install/vmlinuz )
May 27 10:13:00 kernel: Linux version 2.6.10-5-amd64-generic (buildd@king) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debi
an 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)) #1 Tue Apr 5 12:21:57 UTC 2005
But I currently run Debian unstable / Sid!!!

Heh!!! I started with Ubuntu, and changed over to Debian comfortably.

Quote:
I am shifting from Fedora to Ubuntu as its lighter.
Welcome on board.

Quote:
How long will the CD take to reach me ? I am trying to download since morning but no good progress. Only 25 % completed and I need it urgently to save Windows.
Heh. Throw windows out of the door!!! You will never regret it.

3) In fedora updating firefox was easy " yum update firefox " and it was done. But how to install firefox in Ubuntu 8.10 as ubuntu is not yum ?

4) How to mount a windows drive in Ubuntu 8.10 ? Is it like sda dev as in Fedora ?

Quote:
2) How to install a music player in Ubuntu/Fedora ? I am not able to do so. As soon as I click and start, there wont be any progress. Do I need to use command line for this ?
In Ubuntu, you have ... a gui ... what is the name of the gui.... aww.. forget it.

Ok.. the easy way out - "sudo apt-get install firefox".

"apt-cache search fooo" searches for fooo in package description. Replace fooo with music and you get a lising of most packages related with music.

"apt-cache show foo" gives a detailed description of the package foo.

Quote:
IIRC, firefox is installed by default in Ubuntu. Probably, it may be called Iceweasel - not sure.

Quote:
The gui way - right click on the desktop > add icon and look for device names. Once the icon is on the desktop, simply click on the icon to mount the drive. Sorry cant give more details - Ubuntu uses gnome, I use KDE.

Edit no. 3 - plugging in USB sticks shows up a stick icon on the desktop. USB cameras are accessed as if they were USB memory sticks.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 28th November 2008 at 23:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks