Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 03:32   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Ubuntu Linux Thread

Thank you Gandhi. installed the same.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:58   #107
BHPian

Is there anyone already using Ubuntu 12.10? Did Unity get any better? I got away from using Ubuntu since I've owned a Mac. I did try Ubuntu 12.04 on a VM Box.
Old 13th February 2013, 17:20   #108
Senior - BHPian

Their heads up feature is really nice. 12.10 and 12.04 is pretty much the same. 13.04 is due in april.
Old 13th February 2013, 21:40   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Is there anyone already using Ubuntu 12.10? Did Unity get any better? I got away from using Ubuntu since I've owned a Mac. I did try Ubuntu 12.04 on a VM Box.
I had 12.04 LTS on my office laptop. Worked very well. Dont know about any changes on Unity differences between 12.04 and 12.10
Old 13th February 2013, 23:30   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I had 12.04 LTS on my office laptop. Worked very well. Dont know about any changes on Unity differences between 12.04 and 12.10
13.04 is supposed to get lot of usability and design changes in Unity. I've been following all the patches on omgubuntu and I think Unity is heading in right direction.
Old 14th February 2013, 00:05   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
13.04 is supposed to get lot of usability and design changes in Unity. I've been following all the patches on omgubuntu and I think Unity is heading in right direction.
After almost 3-4 years of Ubuntu I am off it now. Its Mac (home) and Windows 7 (office forced!) for me.
Old 14th February 2013, 00:13   #112
BHPian

Quote:
After almost 3-4 years of Ubuntu I am off it now. Its Mac (home) and Windows 7 (office forced!) for me.
Ubuntu is not my daily machine either. I have been using a Mac since last 5 years and haven't used Windows since then. But I still keep watching what's happening in Linux world. I always have a VM in my mac to try out different distros (mainly Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora).

Also my work involves developing on Linux and have other forms of linux around me all the time like my Android phone (linux to an extent) and my media server running raspbian (a trimmed down version of Debian for Raspebrry Pi).
Old 14th February 2013, 00:16   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Ubuntu is not my daily machine either. I have been using a Mac since last 5 years and haven't used Windows since then. But I still keep watching what's happening in Linux world. I always have a VM in my mac to try out different distros (mainly Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora).
For me, it was my main office machine for almost 3-4 years. I could manage almost every thing with Ubuntu. Mail and documentation is the biggest crib that folks have about unix.
Thunderbird and Latex solved that problem for me in one shot.

MAC is for home computing photography and multi-media. Now its most 5-6 years. So in fact there was a period of 3-4 years when I actually did not go to Windows!

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2013 at 00:18.
Old 14th July 2013, 22:22   #114
Senior - BHPian

Audio clarity is better in Ubuntu- did anyone feel the same?
Old 20th July 2013, 11:20   #115
BHPian

Hey guys,
I have installed Ubuntu 13.04 on my machine, but it's acting damn strange.
1> it's slower than windows 7 used to be. That could be because i was in a hurry and just clicked next to everything. Didn't create a special swap partition

2> I had copied all my music onto the system, and all the files worked.
Suddenly it stopped playing all the songs from a particular album. I can see them in the folder and on the playlist, but RhythmBox refuses to play it.
I was testing out RhythmBox and XBMC at this point and the OS prompted me to restart the machine for installing updates. I was playing a song from the now defective folder. After the restart, all songs in that folder don't play.
Old 20th July 2013, 11:38   #116
Team-BHP Support

Moved to uBuntu 12.04LTS last year, and will be sticking to it for a long time, hence the LTS. I use it mainly for compiling code. Most of our products are supported under Windows and Linux, so we have lots of cross-platform source code.

All 3 of my machines are dual boot between Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04LTS.
Old 24th July 2013, 15:40   #117
Senior - BHPian

I got a new belkin wi-fi router. On my laptop with windows 7 it configured properly in a few clicks and I was able to browse the internet. On my desktop I have ubuntu 13.04 installed. When I try to open the default page for the router (http://192.168.2.1), I get the page cannot be displayed message. Since the router was first configured on Windows 7, are the ISP settings saved in it? Do I need to re-configure the router on Ubuntu again? How do I get the router to work on Ubuntu? On a few forums some solutions have been posted but then they didn't exactly work in my case.

My ISP is Tata Indicom; wired broadband connection, unlimited data usage plan.
Old 24th July 2013, 16:24   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
My ISP is Tata Indicom; wired broadband connection, unlimited data usage plan.
- In myopinion its nothing to do with ISP.
- Have you configured your Wifi correctly ?
- Try to connect through LAN/Ethernet port and see if it works.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- In myopinion its nothing to do with ISP.
- Have you configured your Wifi correctly ?
- Try to connect through LAN/Ethernet port and see if it works.
Yes, the wifi router has been configured correctly. (I am able to connect to the Internet from the Windos 7 laptop) Out of the 4 ports behind the router one is connected to the laptop and the second one is connected to the ubuntu desktop. Actually I am not using wi-fi on the laptop to connect to the router. Rather both the desktop and laptop are connected directly to it through the LAN/Ethernet port using the cables that came in the package. So basically the router home page opens on the laptop whereas it doesn't open the home page in ubuntu. (inspite of being physically connected)
Old 25th July 2013, 14:39   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Yes, the wifi router has been configured correctly. (I am able to connect to the Internet from the Windos 7 laptop) Out of the 4 ports behind the router one is connected to the laptop and the second one is connected to the ubuntu desktop. Actually I am not using wi-fi on the laptop to connect to the router. Rather both the desktop and laptop are connected directly to it through the LAN/Ethernet port using the cables that came in the package. So basically the router home page opens on the laptop whereas it doesn't open the home page in ubuntu. (inspite of being physically connected)

- No I was asking if the Wifi driver on your Ubuntu is correctly installed.
- Now that you are saying that Ubuntu machine is connected through LAN, first check if the LAN driver loads up, once you connect the cable. If not you need to set that part correct, before you see why its not accessing the router configs.
- Try a ping to the router IP (192.168.1.1). If it does not get acknowledged, I think the LAN port is npt set up correctly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks