Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 09:03   #5041
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I need a well settled OS, with lot of application support. I have SatGuide which won't run on Android.
I would say Android is more stable than WinMo. But yes apps are not widely available as WinMo. They are catching up fast though.

Quote:
Holy cow, that's the usual Samsung offering. Great hardware, pathetic software. It is not even a smartphone, I can't go back to a non-smartphone.
But do you use all the smartphone features? e-mail client, browsing, calendar. Or do you use more multimedia.

Quote:
But I hear it has questionable build quality.
Questionable build depends on how you handle it. build quality is not great for any of the touch screen handsets. They are delicate no matter what and cannot take abuse like others.

Quote:
Hmm, does it mean I have to re-install all the software like SatGuide?

But I need in-built GPS badly, getting sick of the external unit.
Yes you have to re-install the apps but teh data/sms can be backed up.

In-built GPS is not as good as an external one. I have a Holux external unit and it picks up signal indoors where my colleagues N95 struggles to lock onto a single one.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:17   #5042
Senior - BHPian

Signal lock is to do with GPS unit: try an ASUS p320, then try a N95
Old 29th July 2009, 10:25   #5043
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, what you need is a Windows Mobile phone. That OS has the best support, and almost all vendors have software which runs on Windows Mobile. This includes both commercial(satguide etc.,) and OSM based solution.
As for signal lock, the biggest problem comes when you phone stays indoors for a long time. After that it has to get a cold fix which is slow.
Mobile operators have something called Assisted GPS which tells the phone where all the satellites are, so it can get a fix quickly.
However for that to work, it will need network connectivity.
Asus phones are win mobile based and good GPS devices. but I am not sure how good is the camera on them.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:46   #5044
Team-BHP Support

Samu option 2 all the way! Stay away from Omnia at whatever cost.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:46   #5045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But I hear it has questionable build quality.

Hmm, does it mean I have to re-install all the software like SatGuide?

But I need in-built GPS badly, getting sick of the external unit.
Nothing wrong with the build quality of the Diamond, I have had one for a year and it has been fine (it is my regular phone). The inbuilt GPS is quite good as well and quickly locks on to signals even after a cold start. I was standing in the garden a few days ago and tested the GPS from a cold start and had a signal lock in less than 30 seconds.

Installing satnav software on WM phones is a doddle some s/w you can just copy the directory over to the phones memory or to a micro SD card. The Diamond has no external memory card slot and this is one of its flaws.
Quote:
That is sound advice, I had one and although the build quality is superb the actual device is a complete pain especially when trying to get a GPS signal lock. Even after trying all the workarounds for the GPS it failed to lock on to signals quickly.

Last edited by bigman : 29th July 2009 at 10:50.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:49   #5046
BHPian

Nokia's Rugged 3720 Handset

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokia3720classicpress158x280.jpg
Nokia has introduced the new Nokia 3720 classic, an IP-54 certified mobile phone designed to resist water, dust and shock. The Nokia 3720 classic is encased in durable materials and is entirely sealed to protect the inner electronics.

The Nokia 3720 classic features a sealed, leak-proof design and durable materials in a range of colours. The battery cover, which protects both the battery and the internal circuitry of the device, is locked with a screw, making for worry-free usage in wet, dusty or muddy environments.

As to be expected, the Nokia 3720 classic also offers exceptional battery performance as well as an LED flashlight, to complement its rugged design. Additional add-ons include Nokia Maps, which comes pre-loaded on the 1 GB microSD memory card, and the large and bright 2.2" display is perfect for following the route even in unfamiliar terrain.

Just waiting for this phone to launch in India offically

Heard that they are launching this phone by September and the Price might be around Rs8,500 - Rs9,000

Can't wait to get hold of this beast in phone
Old 29th July 2009, 11:09   #5047
Senior - BHPian

Does this phone come with a camera ? I am looking out for a reliable Nokia with all features except the camera as I am not able to take my N95 to work due to security reasons.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:15   #5048
BHPian

This phone comes with a 2 MP camera

Specs are
2-megapixel camera with LED flash, 4X digital zoom
2.2-inch QVGA 16.7 million colours display
Nokia Maps pre-installed on the 1GB microSD card
Stereo music player supporting MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+ and WMA, and stereo FM Radio
20MB free internal user memory plus support for microSD memory card up to 8GB
XHTML browser, Java MIDP2.0, OMA DRM 1.0 and 2.0
Bluetooth 2.1
EGSM 900/1800/1900
Series 40
115mm x 47mm x 15.3mm
94g
Up to seven hours talk time
Up to 18 days standby time
Old 29th July 2009, 11:51   #5049
Senior - BHPian

@samurai and other HTC/WinMobile users, does it support VPN? My work uses cisco VPN 5.0.0.....

Also, do you think it will run mainframe emulator on VPN?
Old 29th July 2009, 11:55   #5050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I would say Android is more stable than WinMo. But yes apps are not widely available as WinMo. They are catching up fast though.
Viddy, it is not surprising for an OS with no applications to be stable. When Android runs as many apps as WinMo, then we can compare stability.

Quote:
But do you use all the smartphone features? e-mail client, browsing, calendar. Or do you use more multimedia.
It is primarily my business phone, also syncing with outlook everyday is a must.

Quote:
In-built GPS is not as good as an external one. I have a Holux external unit and it picks up signal indoors where my colleagues N95 struggles to lock onto a single one.
I think N95 is not a good example since it was probably the very first GPS phone. Surely, GPS phones improved over years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Samurai, what you need is a Windows Mobile phone. That OS has the best support, and almost all vendors have software which runs on Windows Mobile. This includes both commercial(satguide etc.,) and OSM based solution.
You are right, I am very comfortable with the WinMo, no need to try some thing totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As for signal lock, the biggest problem comes when you phone stays indoors for a long time. After that it has to get a cold fix which is slow.
I generally need GPS when I am outside, or while driving. So indoor reception shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks, will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Nothing wrong with the build quality of the Diamond, I have had one for a year and it has been fine (it is my regular phone). The inbuilt GPS is quite good as well and quickly locks on to signals even after a cold start. I was standing in the garden a few days ago and tested the GPS from a cold start and had a signal lock in less than 30 seconds.
Thanks, but how is the battery life and camera quality?
Old 29th July 2009, 12:01   #5051
BHPian

Samurai,

+1 to what bigman sayz. You cannot go wrong with TD2. I have been using one for a month and completely in love with it.

a) Battery consumption though depends on the usage, ive had it running for 3 days with about 4 hours of games and ~2 hours on calls. With GPS though, battery becomes a history sooner than expected.
b) I havent had problems with GPS lock, except at work where I almost never get a lock from inside the building.

Edit:
c) Camera quality is better than my Rokr E6. Though the camera suffers in poor-lighting, give it ample light and its a charm.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 29th July 2009 at 12:03.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:14   #5052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
This phone comes with a 2 MP camera

Specs are
2-megapixel camera with LED flash, 4X digital zoom
2.2-inch QVGA 16.7 million colours display
Nokia Maps pre-installed on the 1GB microSD card
Stereo music player supporting MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+ and WMA, and stereo FM Radio
20MB free internal user memory plus support for microSD memory card up to 8GB
XHTML browser, Java MIDP2.0, OMA DRM 1.0 and 2.0
Bluetooth 2.1
EGSM 900/1800/1900
Series 40
115mm x 47mm x 15.3mm
94g
Up to seven hours talk time
Up to 18 days standby time
Looking at the specs, it appears that it doesnt have inbuilt GPS.

Was wondering how maps will work on the same.

Love to get my hands on the instrument
Old 29th July 2009, 13:13   #5053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, but how is the battery life and camera quality?
Much better battery backup compared to original diamond. Camera also is rated good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
a) Battery consumption though depends on the usage, ive had it running for 3 days with about 4 hours of games and ~2 hours on calls. With GPS though, battery becomes a history sooner than expected.
b) I havent had problems with GPS lock, except at work where I almost never get a lock from inside the building.

Edit:
c) Camera quality is better than my Rokr E6. Though the camera suffers in poor-lighting, give it ample light and its a charm.
For some more detailed review of the piece HTC Touch Diamond2 review: Director’s cut - GSMArena.com
Old 29th July 2009, 14:48   #5054
Senior - BHPian

Samurai,

I get about 3 days max from the Diamond. The camera in my opinion is nothing to write home about. The rather dated SE K750i had a camera that produced better results. If you can spend a bit more then like Rocky has said the Diamond2 (and HD) become options. I have a HD and the camera on that is much better than on my Diamond. GPS performance on the HD is also good.

I posted osme photos I took with the HD in the following post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1156028-post54.html
Old 29th July 2009, 15:18   #5055
Team-BHP Support

Wow, that photo quality is surprising.

I see that the Touch HD and Touch Diamond 2 have almost identical specs. Yet I see almost 10K difference in price at Univercell.in website. The newer TD2 is cheaper. Why is that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks