Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 14:56   #4291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Apple iPhone 3G vs Blackberry Storm? Which one?
Whats the usage? Depending on that one can recommend.

If you are going for a smart phone wifi is a must, thanks to low speeds of our EDGE/GPRS networks. These days i rarely use GPRS/EDGE and wifi is ON almost all the while, i have connectivity at home as well as office which is a boon.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:01   #4292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I've had WiFi on several of my devices so far. I cant remember the last time I used it!
It might not be useful on a phone with a 2 inch screen but on a phone with a 3.2 inch screen you would find urself surfing the internet more often than not using the wifi, especially with the current data rates and the speeds.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:13   #4293
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I've had WiFi on several of my devices so far. I cant remember the last time I used it!
WiFi is a convenience/convergence feature, I use it regularly!
If a phone has ample display ie. anything above 2.4", WiFi is very handy, almost all sites/Emails/etc. can be viewed. This sometimes is extremely helpful if one does not want to carry the bulky laptop around everytime & those coffe shop/mall/hotel jaunts become a whole lot interesting!

WiFi !
Old 4th February 2009, 16:28   #4294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It might not be useful on a phone with a 2 inch screen but on a phone with a 3.2 inch screen you would find urself surfing the internet more often than not using the wifi, especially with the current data rates and the speeds.
Dont know man - I've been quite happy with unlimited data plans on both 3g and EDGE networks. Never had to look for a WiFi spot so far.

When I have WiFi (Home & Office) I have a laptop nearby and hence never use the phone to surf at those locations. Airport lounges - ditto, because I invariably have my laptop with me.

WiFi spots may serve the new NetBooks (I'm a BIG fan!) better, though the newer Netbooks come with SIM-slots for 2 or 3G usage.

With decent data speeds, WiFi becomes redundant. Even with lower speeds the mobile network serves the purpose for email and light browsing - the reach far outweighs the lack of speeds.
Old 4th February 2009, 17:08   #4295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
WiFi is a convenience/convergence feature, I use it regularly!
If a phone has ample display ie. anything above 2.4", WiFi is very handy, almost all sites/Emails/etc. can be viewed. This sometimes is extremely helpful if one does not want to carry the bulky laptop around everytime & those coffe shop/mall/hotel jaunts become a whole lot interesting!

WiFi !
I agree WiFi is quite a handy feature, Very useful in case you don't have your laptop around ,and there is a need to go online unexpectedly .
Old 5th February 2009, 07:32   #4296
Senior - BHPian

My contract is coming up and I'm thinking of going with Verizion. Choices are BB Storm, Samsung Omnia, HTC Touch and LG Dare.

Which one should I go for? Is LG dare that much better than the Storm at double the price?

Last edited by Mpower : 5th February 2009 at 08:06.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:09   #4297
Senior - BHPian

Samsung Omnia is the best out of your choices.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:37   #4298
Team-BHP Support

i wouldnt recommend Omnia to anyone, its one of the worst models with Win Mob, trust me this is after real life usage. HTC any day has better idea when it comes to Win Mob.

It all depends on your usage, if you are heavy business user and require BB connectivity go for a BB device, otherwise stick to a decent model from HTC. My personal choice in HTC would be the Touch Pro, only draw back is the screen size.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:18   #4299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
My contract is coming up and I'm thinking of going with Verizion. Choices are BB Storm, Samsung Omnia, HTC Touch and LG Dare.

Which one should I go for? Is LG dare that much better than the Storm at double the price?
If its touchscreens you are interested in (looks like from the choices you have) - then go straight for the HTC models. BB Storm is bberry's first attempt at touch screens and not tried and tested stuff. In our office we have deployed bberry's (I'm on bold) and the feedback from storm users is not that good as of now (although the storm did pass corporate beta and acceptance testing). Samsung on the other hand has made a good attempt, but can't really match HTC. LG - my only experience has been with viewty and although LG phones are decent, again the experience is not like a good HTC.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:36   #4300
BHPian

Agree with Jaggu. The Samsung Omnia, reviews are not so good. I'm using HTC, after lot of R & Ds on other phone.. Im happy with HTC.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:41   #4301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i wouldnt recommend Omnia to anyone, its one of the worst models with Win Mob, trust me this is after real life usage. HTC any day has better idea when it comes to Win Mob.

It all depends on your usage, if you are heavy business user and require BB connectivity go for a BB device, otherwise stick to a decent model from HTC. My personal choice in HTC would be the Touch Pro, only draw back is the screen size.
Can you please elaborate? I used one and I found it ok... the GPS sensitivity was one of the best, 5 MP cam is the best eclipsing even the Nokia N82 and has one of the fastest processor in the market.
Old 5th February 2009, 18:25   #4302
Senior - BHPian

Folks, do you know who services O2 phones in India now? It used to be Accel Frontline, but it seems they quite servicing O2 two years back. Google is not much help :(

I have an XDA IIi that was in hibernation that I need to bring back to life. I'd put it aside after it started dying randomly and hanging at the bootloader screen randomly. None of the local guys will touch it. It looks like it has some hardware fault. If I let the secondary battery run out and then reset it, it reloads (at times -- at times it hangs at the boot-loader screen) and then hangs a while after, while I'm charging it. It runs the older PPC-PE 2003 (so it has a secondary internal battery also).

I'm in need of a second phone asap. If this does not get fixed, I think I'll need to pick up a HTC Touch Diamond or something. (Need a good WiMo phone)

Last edited by hydrashok : 5th February 2009 at 18:29.
Old 5th February 2009, 20:14   #4303
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
My p1i has wifi, it's quite a complete device, priced competitively. I use the wifi extensively.
What did you pay for the SE p1i?
Old 6th February 2009, 02:15   #4304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please elaborate? I used one and I found it ok... the GPS sensitivity was one of the best, 5 MP cam is the best eclipsing even the Nokia N82 and has one of the fastest processor in the market.
Maybe the older ROM was not pretty stable and fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Folks, do you know who services O2 phones in India now? It used to be Accel Frontline, but it seems they quite servicing O2 two years back. Google is not much help :(
Try to search for MWG phones service centres. If you dont have any luck. PM me.
Old 6th February 2009, 11:40   #4305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They have no clue on integrating a cover flow app with win mob, please compare a Win Mob from HTC and Omnia to understand more. Apart from the shiny looks the phone is a dud! And it costs as much as an iPhone in India! Sorry this one Amir Khan also cant help.

GPS fix and camera megapixels dont make up a phone, its just a very minuscule part of a smart phone. Processor part i was not really awed, initially it was good, but after 2-3 hours of usage and the win mob drag slowly creeped in.

My rating i felt the N95 was much better off compared to an Omnia :P I have learnt my lessons with gadgets and i try to pick one up after a test drive these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Maybe the older ROM was not pretty stable and fast enough.
When was the new rom released? maybe i can check after asking the owner to upgrade the ROM. This phone was bought about a month and half back from India.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th February 2009 at 11:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks