Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2015, 04:27   #11041
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klever View Post
Folks, I have an invite for OnePlus X that is valid for another 48 hours. If interested, PM me please.
Hi Klever... Can you please share that with me if you still have it? Thanks.
Old 14th November 2015, 09:46   #11042
BHPian

PM'ed you. Happy Shopping and Cheers.
Old 16th November 2015, 14:44   #11043
BHPian

Friends,

I recently changed my phone from iPhone 5 to One Plus Two. (Yes, very unhappy with the pricing of the latest plus, iPhone 5 started giving a lot of issues post upgrading to 8.4 iOS.)

Now, the trouble is that I am not able to properly play music on my Elantra Neo Fluidic using One Plus 2. I can pair it using bluetooth, but then I can;t use any of the steering mounted audio controls. I tried to connect to the USB port, but it doesn;t seem to recognize the storage.

Anyone have any idea on this?
Old 16th November 2015, 15:42   #11044
BHPian

So, I rooted my Moto G2 (2014) Model to Resurrection Remix after some of the members recommended that. Faced some problems such as Slo Mo Video (Does not work), Waze(Big Problem there) and difficulty with getting GPS locks on different Apps.

As this is my primary phone, I went ahead and reinstalled the Original ROM and those things work again. Of-course, it means the speed is bad, also means the battery drains fast.

Now, I truly think, I need another phone. And after a lot of searching zeroed down to the following choices:

1. Nexus 6P
2. Nexus 5X
3. Iphone 6 Plus
3. Iphone 6s Plus
4. Iphone 6/6s

My primary requirement is:
1. Battery should last well over a day
2. Really Good Camera - as I seriously avoid keeping my SLR with me
3. GPS should work well
4. Bluetooth - Should be able to connect to Car

Only thing to be kept in mind is that I have always have used phone which are relatively easy to mod - like N900 & N9 and I loved them. The above choices represent mostly reviews based on Youtube and more weight given to Battery Life (as evident).

Please suggest.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 16th November 2015 at 15:50.
Old 16th November 2015, 17:20   #11045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
So, I rooted my Moto G2 (2014) Model to Resurrection Remix after some of the members recommended that. Faced some problems such as Slo Mo Video (Does not work), Waze(Big Problem there) and difficulty with getting GPS locks on different Apps.

As this is my primary phone, I went ahead and reinstalled the Original ROM and those things work again. Of-course, it means the speed is bad, also means the battery drains fast.

Now, I truly think, I need another phone. And after a lot of searching zeroed down to the following choices:

1. Nexus 6P
2. Nexus 5X
3. Iphone 6 Plus
3. Iphone 6s Plus
4. Iphone 6/6s

3. GPS should work well

Only thing to be kept in mind is that I have always have used phone which are relatively easy to mod - like N900 & N9 and I loved them. The above choices represent mostly reviews based on Youtube and more weight given to Battery Life (as evident).

Please suggest.
Except 4 (no experience), I would strongly recommend the iPhones. I have the 6 - battery lasts 24-30 hours depending on usage.

Even on a recent holiday - I took 1500 pics with the 6, <50 with my SLR!

Despite heavy FB etc usage - i only recharged it on one of the days - all days I came back to the hotel by 8-10pm with >10% battery.

If you get the 6s from overseas, nothing like it - the price differential is huge, else the 6 is good value esp from payTM. 3+ friends bought from there in Oct!
Old 16th November 2015, 23:24   #11046
Distinguished - BHPian

Not happy with the display on the Moto G3. Is there anything I can do to get a clearer, brighter display of icons ?

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-motodisplay.jpg
Old 16th November 2015, 23:24   #11047
BHPian

Quote:

3. GPS should work well
All are good phones. But since battery is a high priority the Moto x style may actually be better than the nexus. I have not actually compared but do have a quick look.
Old 17th November 2015, 04:26   #11048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Nexus 6P
2. Nexus 5X
3. Iphone 6 Plus
3. Iphone 6s Plus
4. Iphone 6/6s

3. GPS should work well

Please suggest.
If day long battery life is a requirement, go for either the iPhone 6S Plus (I am using it and it bloody awesome) or if you want to Android then the Nexus 6P.
Old 17th November 2015, 09:03   #11049
BHPian

Quote:
So, I rooted my Moto G2 (2014) Model to Resurrection Remix after some of the members recommended that.
.. I went ahead and reinstalled the Original ROM and those things work again. Of-course, it means the speed is bad, also means the battery drains fast.

Now, I truly think, I need another phone.
3. GPS should work well

.. and more weight given to Battery Life (as evident).
You tried one ROM & are convinced that you need new phone?
I, from my flashing experience (with Dell Streak, Xperia U, MMX A120) have seen that, we may need to fiddle around with many ROMs to see what suits best.
My approach has been to install the (latest minus one) stable version & check, how it works for me.

I have the Moto G2 (still unrooted).
Using greenify helps me with 24-36hours battery life, with ~5hour+ SOT.
I think, for a 10K phone, that's nice.
Also, no problem in BT sync with car OR the GPS lock (under 3-4 seconds).

Out of your 4 requirements, G2 does not quite meet the camera requirement. I would rate it around 6/10 (for a cell phone camera).

Suggest you also explore more ROMs (CM11?) or just de-bloat the stock ROM.

Well, if you are necessarily "wanting" a new phone, scratch the suggestions & go ahead

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 17th November 2015 at 09:06.
Old 17th November 2015, 09:32   #11050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
You tried one ROM & are convinced that you need new phone?
I, from my flashing experience (with Dell Streak, Xperia U, MMX A120) have seen that, we may need to fiddle around with many ROMs to see what suits best.

Well, if you are necessarily "wanting" a new phone, scratch the suggestions & go ahead

Cheers,

Ace.
Hmm.. well, I actually tried 3 ROMs - CM, RR & Tesla Titan.
In terms of GPS Lock - Google would work, but Waze and almost none of the other Food Apps seem to locate me, ever. Hence retorted back to Stock. Flashing the damn thing is never the problem - I just don't think that we should play around with your primary phone like that.

And since battery, camera & speed was the biggest concern, I chose the phones above. I am leaning towards the Nexus 6P, but the damn thing is still not available. I like the way the Iphone looks and feels but not a 100% I will like it beyond the initial 30 days
Plus I haven't actually seen anyone use the Nexus 6P but plenty of Iphones so it makes it all the more confusing. Iphone is also a lot of chunk of change - 76k for the 64GB
Old 17th November 2015, 09:41   #11051
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm.. well, I actually tried 3 ROMs - CM, RR & Tesla Titan.
In terms of GPS Lock - Google would work, but Waze and almost none of the other Food Apps seem to locate me, ever. Hence retorted back to Stock. ..
Iphone is also a lot of chunk of change - 76k for the 64GB
I 100% agree with no-messing-around-with-primary-phone funda.
Which is why, I keep a trusty Nokia as backup phone when I have time + want to fiddle with ROMs/flashing.

So, you're saying de-bloating the stock rom, with just a better kernel does not give you a satisfactory result?
(I was actually looking forward to a nice custom ROM on G2, considering how common this phone is & good amount of dev support on xda).

Well, if you're going with that budget (iphone kinda monies), obviously G2 wouldn't stand a chance (lol).
Splurge & get the best, if you can

Cheers

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 17th November 2015 at 09:42.
Old 17th November 2015, 10:20   #11052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
I 100% agree with no-messing-around-with-primary-phone funda.
Which is why, I keep a trusty Nokia as backup phone when I have time + want to fiddle with ROMs/flashing.

So, you're saying de-bloating the stock rom, with just a better kernel does not give you a satisfactory result?
(I was actually looking forward to a nice custom ROM on G2, considering how common this phone is & good amount of dev support on xda).

Well, if you're going with that budget (iphone kinda monies), obviously G2 wouldn't stand a chance (lol).
Splurge & get the best, if you can

Cheers

Ace.
De-bloating the stock ROM - Absolutely no idea how. I used the Custom ROMs and then reverted back to Stock (was around 700 MB compared to 250 odd for Custom ROM) And my phone is literally devoid of apps right now - I have Amazon, Uber, Whatsapp, Paytm, Skype and WDTV - thats it. It works decently right now.

About the expense - I moved to a school of thought which was completely against splurging on a phone. But now I am absolutely fed up with worrying about a battery, worrying will an app work.. Hence the move and some hope that atleast the phone will cover the basic requirements like Battery, Camera, Basic Apps (No Gaming) and should be relatively fast to respond. I really do not care much if its expensive or the perceived notion of a "premium phone". I want it to be functional more than anything else.
Old 17th November 2015, 11:21   #11053
BHPian

So, after a big confusion on whether to change from a Windows phone to Android, I finally took the plunge and got the One plus X.

Got all the contacts ported successfully. But guess what, I have trouble sending SMS!

Not sure if Oxygen OS is the culprit.

I can receive SMS, but I can't send :(

The error message states - 'Cannot send message, error code 96'.

Can someone help me?
Old 17th November 2015, 11:26   #11054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
So, after a big confusion on whether to change from a Windows phone to Android, I finally took the plunge and got the One plus X.

Got all the contacts ported successfully. But guess what, I have trouble sending SMS!

Not sure if Oxygen OS is the culprit.

I can receive SMS, but I can't send :(

The error message states - 'Cannot send message, error code 96'.

Can someone help me?
From XDA:
if you are having this "error code 96" issue, you probably having hard time sending text messages (SMS)

so here is how to fix it

1. Go to your dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#* to enter Engineer/Service Mode.
2. go to "phone information"
3. scroll down and tap "turn on SMS over IMS" to turn on sms.
4. after that tap "refresh" button and after that tap "update" button to update the new settings.
Old 17th November 2015, 16:27   #11055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
From XDA:
if you are having this "error code 96" issue, you probably having hard time sending text messages (SMS)
Hi Mayankk,

I tried the above option. It doesn't seem to work. Any other remedy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks