Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 16:57   #11056
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not happy with the display on the Moto G3. Is there anything I can do to get a clearer, brighter display of icons ?

Attachment 1440492
In the same boat as you, so would be interesting to find an answer (googling hasn't turned up anything so I'm skeptical).

After being spoiled by a Samsung AMOLED for a couple years, the Moto's screen feels like a faded school uniform sometimes. Increasing brightness makes it look worse

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th November 2015 at 17:14.
Old 19th November 2015, 12:13   #11057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
if you want to Android then the Nexus 6P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
........ I am leaning towards the Nexus 6P, but the damn thing is still not available. ...
Plus I haven't actually seen anyone use the Nexus 6P
I was inclining towards the Nexus 6P until I saw this report on how easily it is bendable due to a structural design flaw.

Old 19th November 2015, 12:39   #11058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I was inclining towards the Nexus 6P until I saw this report on how easily it is bendable due to a structural design flaw.

I have seen those reports - Who is their right minds will try to bend their phones out of shape. There are tonnes of videos which prove it otherwise as well. Plus, you keep a slim metal body in your back pocket .. its a recipe for disaster. The only issue I have is the size of the thing - it is huge!

More reviews I see : look at MKBHD - Youtube

more I am convinced this is my next phone. Wish the damn thing was available faster. Till then I am stuck with my Moto G2. On the other hand G2 is a sturdy phone. My daughter has literally slammed my phone on the ground countless times and it is still breathing easy Not sure if most of the so called 'premium' phones can withstand that.

On Moto G3: Honestly, it looks slightly odd. The icons size etc. The increased bezel is a big let down. Though its faster. But overall from a design perspective it is a step down from the G2.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 19th November 2015 at 12:46.
Old 19th November 2015, 15:36   #11059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... you keep a slim metal body in your back pocket .. its a recipe for disaster. The only issue I have is the size of the thing - it is huge!

... I am convinced this is my next phone.
The positive reviews of the Nexus 6P are a bit comforting. If it can endure the strain of being placed in the front pocket (not the back) while sitting down, it should be good enough.
Having been used to the Note series, I'm used to the big size.

What are your thoughts on the Galaxy Note 5?
My dislikes about the Note 5:
* I don't like the glass back (which is more likely to crack)
* I didn't like the fact that it does not have expandable SD-Card memory, but given that there is a 64 GB variant, it should be OK. * However I've never removed the SD card and battery in my current phone so I can tolerate a non-removable battery as well.
* A 3000mAH battery seems a bit small given the power hungryQuad HD AMOLED display
* They have removed the infra-red flasher that was in the previous Note that enables the device to be used as a universal remote. Haven't seen many people using this, but its a good thing to have in the list just in case.
* The design flaw in the S-Pen that gets it stuck damaging the s-pen sensor if it is inserted the wrong way into the s-pen slot.

On the positive side,
* The Note 5 has a best in class 16 MP F1.9 camera with optical stabilization.
* 4 GB RAM and Samsung pay which could be handy to use instead of carrying credit cards (I hope its useful).
* The fact it has the s-pen, this is a handy tool (sometimes if not often).
Overall its a bit a of a disappointment compared to the previous version, but it still has one of the best hardware specifications in the current market.
The prices have dropped by 4K in the last month.
Clearly the Note 5 is overpriced at 49K (32GB) and 54K (64 GB) when the Galaxy S6 with almost the same specifications except the s-pen is available for around 37K (after the price correction by Samsung).

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th November 2015 at 15:42.
Old 19th November 2015, 15:54   #11060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The positive reviews of the Nexus 6P are a bit comforting. If it can endure the strain of being placed in the front pocket (not the back) while sitting down, it should be good enough.
Having been used to the Note series, I'm used to the big size.

What are your thoughts on the Galaxy Note 5?
Only that I am extremely averse to a Samsung phone. Have used the Galaxy S4 and I am dismayed by the over the top bloated Software. Great Displays as usual for Samsung but overall, never appeals to me.

So it is either Stock Android or Apple now. Hence the choices - Nexus or Apple. I am impressed by the Nexus 5 (quite a few of those going around for years and almost never heard of people complaining).

With Apple, the whole ecosystem is completely different. The extensive focus on Design, weight and width trumps everything else. I mean why wouldn't you stick a bigger battery with the Apple 6s? Apple works well in a contract environment (US & Australia for example) where you simply exchange the phone for the latest one. In India its prohibitively expensive. So I am never too keen on a Apple product (except the iPod). Though I love the design and simplistic looks and wish other manufacturers learn from them.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 19th November 2015 at 15:56.
Old 19th November 2015, 16:22   #11061
Senior - BHPian

[quote=pratyush6;3851343.

With Apple, the whole ecosystem is completely different. The extensive focus on Design, weight and width trumps everything else. I mean why wouldn't you stick a bigger battery with the Apple 6s? Apple works well in a contract environment (US & Australia for example) where you simply exchange the phone for the latest one. In India its prohibitively expensive. So I am never too keen on a Apple product (except the iPod). Though I love the design and simplistic looks and wish other manufacturers learn from them.[/quote]
because it just works?

My 6 gives me consistently 24-30 hours on 3G+WIFI. I didn't carry a charger on most days in my recent vacation - battery is that good even though I clicked 100+ pics daily plus crazy tweeting and instagram. Its not outstanding but for Apple that's a healthy level. Ideally i'd expect mi4i level 3000 MAH battery in the same phone size as well, but I'd rather choose the peace of mind and lag-lessness of iPhone anyday!

there's a reason apple sold all those iphones since the introduction of the 6. Give it a spin - you won't be disappointed.
Old 19th November 2015, 17:44   #11062
BHPian

Quote:
So it is either Stock Android or Apple now. Hence the choices - Nexus or Apple. I am impressed by the Nexus 5 (quite a few of those going around for years and almost never heard of people complaining).
If you get a chance then try out some Motorola flagship like Moto X or maybe wait for the upcoming shatterproof Moto Turbo 2 (will be called Moto X force in India). The thoughtful nifty smart features put by Motorola in the otherwise stock Android firmware make the 'X' series different than the rest.

I myself using Moto X 2014 and there hasn't been a single moment when I felt any other phone can replace it other than any next generation 'X'. After being used to of Android power and Google services, I won't touch Apples even if offered at free of cost, they are too restrictive and too ancient for the kind of usage I have.
Old 19th November 2015, 19:13   #11063
BHPian

Quote:
With Apple, the whole ecosystem is completely different. The extensive focus on Design, weight and width trumps everything else. I mean why wouldn't you stick a bigger battery with the Apple 6s? Apple works well in a contract environment (US & Australia for example) where you simply exchange the phone for the latest one. In India its prohibitively expensive. So I am never too keen on a Apple product (except the iPod). Though I love the design and simplistic looks and wish other manufacturers learn from them.
I was an avid apple user until last week when I "had" to switch. I waited anxiously for iPhone 6 and 6s to hit India market. But the pricing simply didn't make sense. Its almost as if, they launched the phone only for certain category of people. Not that I cannot afford, but I do ask myself, if I get from it what it is worth.

I have noticed about apple that if you upgrade your older phones to the latest iOS, it will definitely break your head. I had upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 8.4 a few months back and since then my phone was not working properly. Moreover, the OS took more than 60% of the storage space for some weird reason. I struggled to manage space after the upgrade. Also, the upgrade caused my cellphone network to work erratically. When it loses network connection, it takes quite a while to regain it. 3G performance was always below par with this phone.

It is like Apple is telling you (rather forcing you) that if you want to upgrade your OS, you upgrade your phone too. And with Apple there is no concept of downgrading.

iPhone 6 still has 8MP/1.2MP camera and only the expensive 6S and above has more than 8MP/5MP camera. There are so many phones in the market with better cameras. Heck, I can buy a better SLR camera with that kind of money and still be left with some money to buy a smartphone.

No doubt, the phone is sleek, simple to use, easy to use, easy to hold, whatever... but am I getting the bang for the buck. I don't think so.

I think many people love the phone (including me) because of the iOS operating system rather than the phone itself. If this OS was available with other handsets, no one would give a hoot to the apple handsets.

I have switched to one plus 2 and am now getting used to the size/weight plus I am loving the good features, big screen, customization, very good 13MP/5MP camera, 64 GB space, Dual-SIM (yes, dual micro-sim avlbl). I simply love the fingerprint unlock mechanism. It works like a charm.
The one plus 2 backside has a very unique sandstone type feel which really helps in gripping and operating the phone with one hand.
Old 19th November 2015, 22:24   #11064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If you get a chance then try out some Motorola flagship like Moto X or maybe wait for the upcoming shatterproof Moto Turbo 2 (will be called Moto X force in India).

I won't touch Apples even if offered at free of cost, they are too restrictive and too ancient for the kind of usage I have.
Restrictive .. can you elaborate further? I understand it will be a pain to transfer files. What else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I was an avid apple user until last week when I "had" to switch. I waited anxiously for iPhone 6 and 6s to hit India market. But the pricing simply didn't make sense.
Wow, that is some insight.. You have enlisted things I would have probably. It's also what I keep hearing the most from current Apple users. Is it really worth it? The only reason why I would consider the 6s though is the hassle free experience. Less bugs, does what is expected out of it.
Old 20th November 2015, 09:16   #11065
BHPian

Quote:
Restrictive .. can you elaborate further? I understand it will be a pain to transfer files. What else?
To make my answer in short, transferring data from other platforms is very cumbersome task on Apple devices.

Siri doesn't understand 'Indian' accent English, neither it can type in Hindi or other regional language if you wish to post some very long text but don't want to type. Google Voice does it and does it with ease. Ok, both voice platforms require active internet and screen. But there is an angel device called Moto X which listen even if its offline and doesn't require to unlocked before it starts listening up. It doesn't stop here, you can name it anything, no need to wake it up using the boring preset commands like 'Wakeup Siri' or 'Okay Google', just set any phrase in any language and it will wake and listen to you. Then it assists you while driving by automatically detecting that you are driving and starts announcing the caller names when they call. It asks if you want to answer the call or ignore it by sending a text massage which again will typed only using your voice. All this is done without a fuss because this is not just a device, its your assistant.

Then come to keyboard. Apple just recently introduced Hindi input, not sure about other regional languages. But Indian languages have been there since ages on Google platforms. Most people can argue that they can live with English only device, I also use English 95% of times but there are few occasions when I feel need of my mother tongue and that time I don't want to feel bad after realizing that the device which I bought after spending thousands of rupees is not capable of doing so. Pure Android phones provide lot of possibilities with keyboard customization.

Personalization is one thing which people take lightly and think that its just a cosmetic thing but no, everyone needs bit of freedom to configure personal devices to make them suitable to their needs and taste. All Apples are monotonous, you can't even put widget on homescreen, rather there is no homescreen on Apples. But possibilities are endless in the Androids without compromising performance (talking about pure Android devices, not about the deformed Android like MIUI, TouchWiz, Lonovo OS etc).

There are lot more points but instead of highlighting negatives of Apple, I would like to point out what a powerful and innovatively designed Android 'smart'phone can do.

Please have a look at the link below and the videos explaining features of my favorite smartphone (rather I will call a daily day companion which is always ready to assist me in all handful ways one can imagine) and see what it can do which an iPhone doesn't do, rather other Androids also can't do, I use all of these features during daily day and have got used to of them so much that can't even imagine living without them:

http://www.androidcentral.com/lookin...x-pure-edition

You can feel power and joy of having Android only if you use a good Android device which are very few by the way. Most of the OEM Android firmwares are so badly designed and implemented that they spoil user experience and leave bad taste of Android in mind of the user.

Please don't take my post as an typical iPhone vs Android war. I already said in my previous post that Apples don't suite my needs and my points are solely based on how I want to use my device. I am not the kind of guy who just expect simple tasks like making calls, texting, browsing internet or using social media apps along with camera from the phone, rather I expect much much more from my smartphone which an iPhone along with Many other Androids and Windows phones can't do. But I accept that the tasks which an iPhone is capable of are done in very simplistic and elegant way by an iPhone compared to many Androids. If you use only mac as your home and work computer along with other Apple devices and do not use other platforms like Windows, Linux or Android then iPhone is suitable to you.

Old 20th November 2015, 10:30   #11066
BHPian

Hello everyone, I am planning to purchase a new 5inch Android phone. As I've been very impressed with the almost stock android experience on Moto G2, so I am sticking to it. I was planning to get Oneplus X. Suddenly today morning got this deal http://www.expansys-usa.com/google-n...locked-285133/ Is this worth buying?

PS: 1) I'm a moderate user, no high end games, only few calls and few Wtsapp messages. So I think Nexus 5 will serve me for a day.

2) This will be my first international order so how much i have to pay customs.

3) Finally is the device sold in USA compatible with our local network and broadband connections.

Regards
Old 20th November 2015, 12:02   #11067
Senior - BHPian

Yes, transferring data isnt easy. But how OFTEN do you do it? Outside of pure bluetooth transfers you can do the next best thing - transfer via messaging apps (telegram), or even dropbox!

Even with a meagre 1800 mah battery, my 6 works for 24-30 hours !!

Siri understands my punjabi english accent just fine - infact much better than Google (voice input on CM) has ever understood me.

Hindi input - works perfectly fine for the occasional usage. It has another set (Bengali, Telugu, marathi, tamil, Urdu, Gujarati, Punjabi). Enough for most users, not all.

Data security - custom keyboards are disabled automatically in password fields. Apple keeps you safe!

imessage is absolutely brilliant. Automatically it finds out iOS users, and sends them the message as iMessage (no text fees!).

Let me not even get to comparing the real-world results of the MotoX 2014 vs the iPhone 6 from the same year. I didn't use my DSLR for >50 pics on my foreign vacation this year and didn't regret it at all.

Please don't diss the iPhone unless you have used it extensively - it is not without reason that Apple is having its highest sales ever since the 6 came out. Humble request - please stick to praising the device you use (as you do in the second part of the post) than diss the one you havent!!

Talking about android phones - Atleast even on the OPO, Kitkat was perfect. The current OS is nowhere as neat looking, looses data on the move lots of times, and drains battery like crazy (from 1.5 days now it runs 12-14 hours tops). The camera on the OPO was a total mess - my S3 is clearly better.

Problems with iPhone?
- Space usage. 16GB is never enough. Total mess since most apps are easily 2x the comparable android version. You need to delete whatsapp data all the time, or reinstall FB.
- Apple Mail. It fetches notifications and mail titles, but not full email, even upto a day later! Bad luck if you wnat to read mails on the road and 3G coverage is spotty.
- Custom keyboards. I only use swiftkey. Without it, I wont even use the iPhone. Every now and then it loses alignment with the bottom row shifting 10 pixels below, resulting in only part of it showing. Swiftkey itself is much less featured (no long press, no number row) than on android.
- Antiquated dialer. Still doesnt have T9 dialing like the awesome ExDialer.
- 1-2 crashing apps. Worst offender? GMail. It crashes 50% of the time when I click reply for a message.

Overall, its lagfree - superfast camera - great battery - much more controlled and refined app ecosystem (but smaller than Google). I think its VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
To make my answer in short, transferring data from other platforms is very cumbersome task on Apple devices.

Siri doesn't understand 'Indian' accent English, neither it can type in Hindi or other regional language if you wish to post some very long text but don't want to type. Google Voice does it and does it with ease. Ok, both voice platforms require active internet and screen. But there is an angel device called Moto X which listen even if its offline and doesn't require to unlocked before it starts listening up. It doesn't stop here, you can name it anything, no need to wake it up using the boring preset commands like 'Wakeup Siri' or 'Okay Google', just set any phrase in any language and it will wake and listen to you. Then it assists you while driving by automatically detecting that you are driving and starts announcing the caller names when they call. It asks if you want to answer the call or ignore it by sending a text massage which again will typed only using your voice. All this is done without a fuss because this is not just a device, its your assistant.

Then come to keyboard. Apple just recently introduced Hindi input, not sure about other regional languages. But Indian languages have been there since ages on Google platforms. Most people can argue that they can live with English only device, I also use English 95% of times but there are few occasions when I feel need of my mother tongue and that time I don't want to feel bad after realizing that the device which I bought after spending thousands of rupees is not capable of doing so. Pure Android phones provide lot of possibilities with keyboard customization.

Personalization is one thing which people take lightly and think that its just a cosmetic thing but no, everyone needs bit of freedom to configure personal devices to make them suitable to their needs and taste. All Apples are monotonous, you can't even put widget on homescreen, rather there is no homescreen on Apples. But possibilities are endless in the Androids without compromising performance (talking about pure Android devices, not about the deformed Android like MIUI, TouchWiz, Lonovo OS etc).

There are lot more points but instead of highlighting negatives of Apple, I would like to point out what a powerful and innovatively designed Android 'smart'phone can do.

Please have a look at the link below and the videos explaining features of my favorite smartphone (rather I will call a daily day companion which is always ready to assist me in all handful ways one can imagine) and see what it can do which an iPhone doesn't do, rather other Androids also can't do, I use all of these features during daily day and have got used to of them so much that can't even imagine living without them:

http://www.androidcentral.com/lookin...x-pure-edition

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=uSAs...ature=Youtu.be

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=z2fIC6clc9Y

You can feel power and joy of having Android only if you use a good Android device which are very few by the way. Most of the OEM Android firmwares are so badly designed and implemented that they spoil user experience and leave bad taste of Android in mind of the user.

Please don't take my post as an typical iPhone vs Android war. I already said in my previous post that Apples don't suite my needs and my points are solely based on how I want to use my device. I am not the kind of guy who just expect simple tasks like making calls, texting, browsing internet or using social media apps along with camera from the phone, rather I expect much much more from my smartphone which an iPhone along with Many other Androids and Windows phones can't do. But I accept that the tasks which an iPhone is capable of are done in very simplistic and elegant way by an iPhone compared to many Androids. If you use only mac as your home and work computer along with other Apple devices and do not use other platforms like Windows, Linux or Android then iPhone is suitable to you.

Old 20th November 2015, 12:08   #11068
BHPian

Since it is mentioned its unlocked, it should work on any GSM network here. Though you can double check with the seller.
Old 20th November 2015, 14:31   #11069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post
Hello everyone, I am planning to purchase a new 5inch Android phone. As I've been very impressed with the almost stock android experience on Moto G2, so I am sticking to it. I was planning to get Oneplus X. Suddenly today morning got this deal http://www.expansys-usa.com/google-n...locked-285133/ Is this worth buying?

PS: 1) I'm a moderate user, no high end games, only few calls and few Wtsapp messages. So I think Nexus 5 will serve me for a day.

3) Finally is the device sold in USA compatible with our local network and broadband connections.

Regards
Don't buy it. Barring 2G bands, there are no bands that are compatible with Indian operators. 3G in India is delivered on 2100. 4G/LTE on Band 3, 20 and 40.
Old 20th November 2015, 15:58   #11070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post

Regards
I don't think it will work with our LTE band which is 2300 as it is unlocked for US carrier bands only.
Secondly, why do you want to go to such pains for a 2 year old phone? After customs etc., it would equate to around 17k which is the same as a OnePlus X. Last I checked, Nexus 5 was available for 20k in India.

Also, I doubt Nexus 5 would receive many more software updates from Google. I'd recommend you go for a OnePlus X or even a Moto G3 over this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks