Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 13:07   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thanks RL!
Well, I am certainly no professional and I will probably never be one. I guess I fall more into the hobbyist category. My current laptop just heats up excessively and eventually shuts down after processing 6-7 images. And just one HDR is enough to fry it up.
So, you still think I need the Pro?
Why do you want Photoshop? Its very resource hogging. What do you plan to achieve with photoshop?
Old 8th April 2011, 13:37   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why do you want Photoshop? Its very resource hogging. What do you plan to achieve with photoshop?
Well, I can use Lightroom also probably, but since I have been using CS4 for some time, I am not very keen on moving to LR. I mostly use CS4 for RAW processing, curve/level adjustments and occasional HDR images.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:09   #468
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey guys, i have been using a MacBook (Aluminum book 13"; after i bought it, Apple rebranded it as MBP 13") for 2 years now. Excellent device. Recently, i have noticed that it is running slower than usual, it's probably because i have never formatted the OS and have been loading it with data ever since i bought it. Also, i shut it down like once in a fortnight, otherwise it's just close the lid and sleep. However, Safari also gives me the wheel-of-death very often and if there is something i dislike, it's slow computers. I am guessing, formatting and reinstalling the OS should make it run like new again.
However, I now intend to buy another 13" MBP but am confused over which one to get. There is the economical 2.3 GHz i5 processor and the tempting 2.7 GHz i7. Money isnt really an issue but i fear that the i7 will heat up more than the i5 and would be difficult to use on the lap.
My basic uses are browsing, watching movies, emails (the Mail app is pretty good had it not been for the slow performance now), photos (little bit editing using iPhoto, paintbrush, preview, etc.), documents (MS Office, iWork), etc. Nothing really heavy.
What do you guys suggest - i5 or i7? Also, if i get it from States, is the warranty honoured in India? Same for Apple Protection Plan?
Also, i wish to pass on my current MBP - body condition is good, battery running pretty well, no damages whatsoever. Anybody interested?
Thanks!

Last edited by Akki_5 : 8th April 2011 at 14:15.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:42   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Well, I can use Lightroom also probably, but since I have been using CS4 for some time, I am not very keen on moving to LR. I mostly use CS4 for RAW processing, curve/level adjustments and occasional HDR images.
A regular macbook will take you to 4GB max. I think a pro allows you to upgrade upto 6GB. I would definitely recommend that, since the pictures you might be processing will be very large/heavy files.

Go have a look at the apple store online - it will let you customize the machine and check the price out.
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:09   #470
BHPian

Hi Akki_5,

I had the Unibody 13" as well. It has a tendency to heat up - mine did too. It is well documented on the various apple support forums. Not sure if I can quote them here though but try forums on macrumors.com. If I remember correctly then this had something to do with the mother board.

Did you update the RAM on your macbook? That helps. I used Crucial for all my macs and they work just fine. There are a few other options out there so you might want to look around.

Formatting & re-installing might not really help you. It helps only in case of disk fragmentation - higher seeks for same amount of data needed. (I might get roughed up (ahem corrected) for not using the correct technical terms here). In any case, OSX should defragment the disc for you on every restart and software upgrade. Also try the built-in disk utility for checking on disk status.

Regarding the new MBPs, the pre-Thunderbolt (lat 2009) ones ran pretty cool. My late-2009 had the same specifications as my 13" Unibody but the former ran much much cooler. Plus it had a better battery than 13" Unibody - don't think this contributes to heating though. Not sure about the latest (early 2011) Thunderbolt MBPs.

Decision between i5 & i7 would depend on the usage. From what you described it seems even a MacBook Air would suffice.

Apple Mac computer warranties are valid world over. So are APP for these. If you are getting the APP then get it from Amazon rather than Apple retail - cheaper by about $40.

If you have different options for buying from different countries then check out the apple store from these countries. e.g. prices quoted on US online Apple store do not include sales tax - typically around 7%. You get a GST refund (pay 7% refund 5%) in Singapore. If you buy from online Apple store then you can buy a printer as well and then get full refund for the printer. (This last paragraph was not something you asked for so not sure if it is helpful).
rtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:46   #471
BHPian

My First Mac

Hey Guys ,

After doing a lot of research and lots of confusion I finally bought a MacBook Pro 13" i5 . And I am just like wow .
This is my first Mac ever and I am totally loving iMovie , iPhoto , iWeb and everything else . I totally love the screen and keyboard .

Now I will be pestering all you guys with lots of questions and concerns as I am totally new to this part of the world.
Old 24th May 2011, 07:07   #472
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your new purchase. And dont worry if you are new to this world.
Very soon, that would be the only world you would want to know !

"Once a MACer, always a MACer!"
Old 25th May 2011, 08:32   #473
BHPian

@ Ampere

Thank you

I have a question , I am seeing that spinning colorful ring (I guess its called Death ring or something) whenever I open an application for the first time for eg if I open Garageband it will be there for say 3-4 seconds .
I have not transferred any data on it yet so HDD is empty . Is it normal ?

Regards
Old 25th May 2011, 10:37   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
@ Ampere

Thank you

I have a question , I am seeing that spinning colorful ring (I guess its called Death ring or something) whenever I open an application for the first time for eg if I open Garageband it will be there for say 3-4 seconds .
I have not transferred any data on it yet so HDD is empty . Is it normal ?

Regards
Yup. It's ok.

First thing you need to do is click on the apple logo on the top left hand corner and select software update and update all the software.

Once that is done. Go to Disk Utility (under Utilities) and select your hard drive and then click on repair disk permissions. Will take approx 10-15 minutes depending on how many permissions are corrupted.

After that you shouldn't see the spinning wheel.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:59   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

One inconvenience I had was I was not able manage photos and the MTS files of AVCHD videos using iPhoto. I wanted to keep photos and videos in a single repository managed by iPhoto. Recently came across this blog and it solved my problem very elegantly.

Sharkus' Blog: AVCHD (Lite) iPhoto Importing

Now I am completely happy with my Mac
Old 25th May 2011, 21:29   #476
Team-BHP Support

Its been couple of months and am super glad that i shifted! Love the machine, for its instant start ups, no hang ups and brilliant speed.

Started hating the brand new office super speced win 7 professional also. Darn thing has started giving me trouble in the same time frame! arghhhh! And i dont have anything out of the ordinary installed or running at office.

This is not fan boy speaking, just talking from my real life experience. Worth every penny i spent.

And oh got my first dent also, slipped from a height of 1 feet though i pounced on it, was too late and an edge touched leaving a dent on the unibody and the lid. Thank god the screen did not crack :(
Old 25th May 2011, 21:47   #477
Team-BHP Support

Its been ages since I left the Windows world!

Mac @ Home (at Home with Mac )
Office Laptop runs Linux.

@Amitoj I saw your post of CS4/LR. DId you ever try Aperture? I am planning to buy it.
It is cheaper than LR (And I definitely dont need Photoshop).

Reviews across point that if one is on MAC Aperture is better to use than LR.
Old 26th May 2011, 01:34   #478
BHPian

Ah, nice to see a lot of mac addicts here. Chanced upon this thread only now.

I've been a proud Macbook Pro 15" owner since the last 4 years and have loved every bit of the experience. Have not lost a single file in these years and even after falling from the desk five times, the machine is rock solid in performance.

I've also done a couple of hands-on upgrades myself, including the hard disk and RAM. To really appreciate the Mac, you should open and see the interiors (of course when the warranty expires) You will see the amazing amount of effort Apple has put in to make the innards as beautiful as the exterior.

Last edited by nileshch : 26th May 2011 at 01:42.
Old 26th May 2011, 18:57   #479
Senior - BHPian

Dilemma - MacBook Air 11" or Alienware M11x

Question to all MAC'ers here:

I am in dilemma between the Air 11" or Alienware M11x. Before delving further, my usage is very light comprising of documents, power points, movies, videos, photo viewing and very mild editing, browsing. Games very occasionally. Portability is main criteria and hence looking at the 11" form factor models only.

The reason for putting the 2 head-to-head is due to the price and the form factor.

Macbook Air
Pros:
- The amazing form factor and light in weight.
- Not Windows!!!
- Perfectly suited for my kind of usage(??) (Need input from the MAC'ers here)

Cons:
- Core 2 Duo processors only are available. Does it matter for my usage
- SSD drives but very limited in capacity.
- Very poor connectivity. Just 2 USB drives and nothing else
- How good are the speakers on the Air?
- Looks very delicate. not sure if it will take the abuse of being hauled around in a back pack while traveling and using on the move.

Now what do i get with the Alienware for a similar price:
Pros:
- Core i7 1.5GHz, 4MB cache
- 500 GB HDD
- 2GB graphics memory
- 4GB DDR3
- Good looking though not as much as the Air in my preference
- Memory card reader
- Jazzy lights on the keyboard etc.
- Looks very sturdy like it can withstand the abuse meted out to it

Cons:
- After sales by Dell which was a very bad experience for a Vostro model i previously owned
- Windows again!!!
- Bloatware
- Bulky to look and almost double the weight of Air!!
- Too much of stuff for the kind of usage planned. But also feels VFM when comparing the Air and M11x head to head. Am really really confused.

So before i take the plunge please let me know if the Air 11" will be enough for my kind of usage. If yes, should i upgrade the memory or is the 2GB default sufficient on the Mac.

Help Plz!!
Old 26th May 2011, 23:42   #480
BHPian

Re: Dilemma - MacBook Air 11" or Alienware M11x

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Question to all MAC'ers here:

I am in dilemma between the Air 11" or Alienware M11x. Before delving further, my usage is very light comprising of documents, power points, movies, videos, photo viewing and very mild editing, browsing. Games very occasionally. Portability is main criteria and hence looking at the 11" form factor models only.

The reason for putting the 2 head-to-head is due to the price and the form factor.

Macbook Air
Pros:
- The amazing form factor and light in weight.
- Not Windows!!!
- Perfectly suited for my kind of usage(??) (Need input from the MAC'ers here)

Cons:
- Core 2 Duo processors only are available. Does it matter for my usage
- SSD drives but very limited in capacity.
- Very poor connectivity. Just 2 USB drives and nothing else
- How good are the speakers on the Air?
- Looks very delicate. not sure if it will take the abuse of being hauled around in a back pack while traveling and using on the move.

Now what do i get with the Alienware for a similar price:
Pros:
- Core i7 1.5GHz, 4MB cache
- 500 GB HDD
- 2GB graphics memory
- 4GB DDR3
- Good looking though not as much as the Air in my preference
- Memory card reader
- Jazzy lights on the keyboard etc.
- Looks very sturdy like it can withstand the abuse meted out to it

Cons:
- After sales by Dell which was a very bad experience for a Vostro model i previously owned
- Windows again!!!
- Bloatware
- Bulky to look and almost double the weight of Air!!
- Too much of stuff for the kind of usage planned. But also feels VFM when comparing the Air and M11x head to head. Am really really confused.

So before i take the plunge please let me know if the Air 11" will be enough for my kind of usage. If yes, should i upgrade the memory or is the 2GB default sufficient on the Mac.

Help Plz!!
Hey Abhinav ,

I don't want to add to the confusion but I have to , Have you thought about Sony VAIO S Series Slim 2011 ?

It comes with i5 , 4 GB RAM , Dedicated Graphics Card , Backlit Key board

The best thing I like about that laptop is it comes with WI-DI Technology , Using that you can connect your Laptop to your HDTV wirelessly and can see whatever you are doing on your laptop and stream music movies etc.
Price is$1060 with taxes. Size is 13.3 and it is very slim almost as slim as MacAir and looks and feels very nice.

Regarding the Alienware No offence to the users but the design is not very appealing and looks kind of very kiddish may suit to college going kids , as mentioned by you After Sales is horrible and no Customer "care" at all .

Recently my office ordered 8 Dell Laptops with latest configuration , each one costing 60K+ , on arriving 3 of the laptops refused to boot up , no display no RAM error messages nothing . When we called Dell they said that they will be sending out the Engineer . On Arriving Engineer opened the laptops to the core . Though money was paid by the office it was very disheartning sight. On calling Dell they simpply refused to replace the Laptops. After that I decided I will never buy a Dell even if I get one for half the sticker price.

Regarding MacAir 11" yes the connectivity is very llimited and so is storage space . Have you given a thought to Macbook ? You will get DVD drive , Extra USB Port , Better battery life forthe same price . It will be 13.3" and I find it quite portable.

Best of luck with your purchase and let us know what you end up buying.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks