Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2013, 09:35   #1216
Senior - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Bhpians,
Purchased yesterday my first Apple Macbook Air 13". Although am having an iPhone and iPad from long time, I was used to the PCs till now. Its my first experience with a mac. I feel am learning using computers all over:-)
A noob question though: Should i purchase Windows office and install in the mac to use word, excel, ppt or is there a native office like software in mac?
MS Office is available for the mac as well. Link

Personally, I found the Keynote'09 and Pages'09 much better than MS Powerpoint or Word.
Old 18th June 2013, 18:40   #1217
BHPian

Apple service centre has quoted 37k for a logic board replacement today morning and 30k in the evening. Not sure why is that. I have showed them the issue with my lcd and they acknowledged it will be fixed. Today morning even I reminded the same and they told they will give an update in the evening. I did call now and they say the lcd is good. I explained them how to watch out for the issue and they again say it will be replaced under warranty.
Not sure whether they look into the issue at all first.

Once I got the quote, tried my luck with the Apple care and they suggested me to give the laptop to another service centre and check what they have to say. And if I am still not satisfied, I can raise a dispute and my case would be going to customer relations who has the complete authority to check and justify.

As per my call with them, I sense the service centre where I have given is not doing a good job and tomorrow I am going to give it to the next service centre which is marked as premium as per and suggested by the Apple representative. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by dre@ms : 18th June 2013 at 18:42.
Old 19th June 2013, 10:35   #1218
BHPian

Just got my mid 2010 MBP replaced with a Retina MBP and I'm in love with the screen. Biggest difference is with text, it's so sharp and crisp. Makes a lot of difference for me as I spend lot of time reading/writing code.

But it sucks to see apps which are not yet optimized for retina screen.
Old 19th June 2013, 17:11   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Hi, could you share the cost of the upgrade. I too have a 2010, 15" MBP and have been thinking of upgrading to the retina but down to 13" for ease of carrying around. Trust this happened state side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Just got my mid 2010 MBP replaced with a Retina MBP and I'm in love with the screen. Biggest difference is with text, it's so sharp and crisp. Makes a lot of difference for me as I spend lot of time reading/writing code.

But it sucks to see apps which are not yet optimized for retina screen.
Old 19th June 2013, 20:20   #1220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi, could you share the cost of the upgrade. I too have a 2010, 15" MBP and have been thinking of upgrading to the retina but down to 13" for ease of carrying around. Trust this happened state side.
Yup, state side and company sponsored. So I'm not sure about the actual costs involved.
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:38   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Suggest you buy windows for mac, else all your correspondents and colleagues wont be able to read your files. Unfortunately the majority of users are still n Windows so there is no getting away from it...
Thanks. Guess I will purchase the home edition for mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
MS Office is available for MAC platforms too. You can install that on your MAC. That should solve your problem.
Thank you for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
MS Office is available for the mac as well.
Link
Personally, I found the Keynote'09 and Pages'09 much better than MS Powerpoint or Word.
Thank you. I have purchased these from the App store on my iPad. Do we have to pay and download again for the mac or is it available as such?
Old 23rd June 2013, 18:18   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Guess I will purchase the home edition for mac.
Also look at MS' Technet subscription. Cost is less than the license cost for Office for Mac. You won't get phone support from MS. Upside is that you get 2 licenses for Office Mac, Windows and whole load of other software from MS. It is a one year subscription so remember to generate keys within an year.
Old 23rd June 2013, 18:51   #1223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you. I have purchased these from the App store on my iPad. Do we have to pay and download again for the mac or is it available as such?
I think the iWork for Ipad is not the full version, but a skinny one. The version for Mac may be different.
Old 1st July 2013, 10:20   #1224
BHPian

Guys I am an happy soul. The second service centre where I have given my MBP has changed its motherboard within warranty. They have portrayed that the logic board and motherboard are not connecting to each other and replaced it with no charges at all.

Lucky I have taken the ACPP just in time. Highly recommended service centre, Conquer Technologies. DO NOT go to Aptronix service centre.
Old 4th July 2013, 19:56   #1225
BHPian

I have a Mac Book Pro 15 Inch (Retina Display)
Happy Soul..
Old 6th July 2013, 22:28   #1226
BHPian

If some one was lookin out... tapatalk (earlier version of the popular forum app for iPhone, and not the version 2) is free in appstore since few days
Old 6th July 2013, 23:22   #1227
HKS
BHPian

Does anyone use iMovie? I got this basic tutorial on it.
Old 8th July 2013, 15:16   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know where can I find benchmark tests for the new Haswell line of Macbook Airs? I tried looking it up but all I could find was for the Core i7 processor and different memory & SSD setup but nothing for the Core i3 processor.

I specifically want to know the Geekbench score for the 2013 Macbook Air with the Haswell i3 processor 8 GB ram and 256GB SSD.

Links would help.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:59   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Anyone know where can I find benchmark tests for the new Haswell line of Macbook Airs? I tried looking it up but all I could find was for the Core i7 processor and different memory & SSD setup but nothing for the Core i3 processor.

I specifically want to know the Geekbench score for the 2013 Macbook Air with the Haswell i3 processor 8 GB ram and 256GB SSD.

Links would help.
Found what I was looking for.

Sorry what I meant was Intel Core i5 and not the i3. Apparently, there is no i3 Haswell processor yet - just the i5 and i7.

Anyway, for whoever is interested for some Geekbench scores:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekb...acBookAir6%2C2
Old 14th July 2013, 14:28   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Just bought myself the new Macbook Air 2013 with the latest Haswell processor. The i5 Dual Core with 8 GB RAM and a 128GB SSD cost me about 1200 USD. I upgraded from an AMD Vaio with 4 gigs of RAM, so this thing feels blazing fast. As an example, I installed Parallels and via that I installed Windows XP Pro using an ISO image in 4 minutes flat. Working simultaneously on both OS'es with the Coherence mode is fun - zero lag and all XP and Mac functions work harmoniously.

Quick question - Migration Assistant would help me in transferring my files and settings from the Vaio to the Mac, but it creates a new user (X) on the Mac. I would like to use the current Admin user on the Mac and be able to access those files that I import from the Vaio which have been imported to the user X. How do I go about doing that?

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 14th July 2013 at 14:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks