Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2020, 01:07   #2716
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
Did you actually mean 2005 and not 2015?! What OS were you running on it?
Yes, it is the C2D MacBook Pro 15 inch released in late 2006 (not 2005 as I mentioned by mistake). It ran on OS X Tiger when introduced and then had one update to Snow Leopard OS X in 2009 after which the 32 bit hardware could not take any more updates.

Quote:
Also, this would mean that it was a PowerPC Mac as the first Intel Macs started rolling out in 2006. Come to think of it, the first MacBook Pro didn’t exist till 2006 either. I’m quite confused but would love to know more!
Yes you are right that the first Intel based MBP was introduced early 2006 and the one I got was the subsequent updated model released in October 2006. I was waiting for the new model to be released after the announcement in Aug 2006 and ordered one as soon at it was introduced in October.

Being a Windows user, the experience of using a Mac was out of this world and I can never think of using a windows PC except for the one I use at work.

Here are some pics I recovered from my archives when I first unboxed my first Apple computer
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-dsc00520.jpg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-dsc00522.jpg  

Maibaa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 11:27   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Yes, it is the C2D MacBook Pro 15 inch released in late 2006...
Incidentally, my first Mac was also a 2006 Intel MacBook Pro (perhaps the same model as yours.) It's truly incredible that you could use it for so many years! Please do write about it as there are many people in the Mac community that would be fascinated.

Did you use it as your primary computer till it finally gave up? And how did you manage to make do with OS X Snow Leopard for so many years, given that many apps perhaps didn't run on it and it doesn't have iCloud? Sorry to barrage you with so many questions (and I can think of many more!) but I am truly amazed. Thanks for your post and for the pictures
Old 17th December 2020, 01:56   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, my first Mac was also a 2006 Intel MacBook Pro (perhaps the same model as yours.) It's truly incredible that you could use it for so many years! Please do write about it as there are many people in the Mac community that would be fascinated.

Did you use it as your primary computer till it finally gave up? And how did you manage to make do with OS X Snow Leopard for so many years, given that many apps perhaps didn't run on it and it doesn't have iCloud? Sorry to barrage you with so many questions (and I can think of many more!) but I am truly amazed. Thanks for your post and for the pictures
Well, I used the MacBook Pro (MBP) as it is called in the Mac community for personal use mostly for some video and photo editing, browsing and iTunes. I really did not feel the need for upgrade until a few years back when even the safari and Mozilla browsers could not be updated due to the primitive OS.

On the hardware front I upgraded the hard disk to 512 GB and increased RAM by 1GB to the max 3GB that it could accommodate. This was enough for my kind of usage and I guess the tight and efficient integration of hardware and software in the Apple eco system made it possible to extract the maximum out of this machine with outdated specifications.

Except for the battery unable to hold charge for more than 30 mins, I was able to use it until one day the display got corrupted and started bleeding colors. I can still use the machine when connected to an external display but I have retired it after it served me well for over 10 years.
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 11:28   #2719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

1. What anti-virus / malware scan to use? I know people say its not needed on a Mac, but I cannot afford to have my computer compromised, so would prefer that additional protection. Please suggest.

2. I backed her up to Time Machine today. 500 gigs got transferred by about 1530 hours. Since then, Time Machine is stuck on 'encrypting' the 4 TB hard drive. Is this normal? How long should encryption take AFTER the data has been transferred?
1- Have never used and I do agree, the OS architecture really doesn't need an antivirus like windows. Just ensure firewall is ON under security.

2- First time it would take some time for back up and encryption (if opted), then on it will be incremental. Ideally, take a back up once in a month. Hope this issue is resolved now.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 16:28   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to Big Sur. Everything works fine. I am still using Adobe Classic Lightroom and that seems to have slowed down a bit. But I will change to a new version soon.

I have one particular problem though. I am using an advanced cockpit simulator. This is an Java based application.
http://aerowinx.com/

Since the upgrade it won’t recognise my Thrustmaster USB joystick anymore. The Joystick does show up in the system report, but not in the setting menu of the application.

I have read numerous reports of problems with USB devices in Big Sur.

I have been touch with the designer of the application and also on their forum. Few people have upgraded. One person did and gave me a tip to enable sorting via input monitoring in preferences. Made the recommended changes but still nothing.

Anybody with some experience how USB Joystick work under Big Sur and how I could trouble shoot?

Thanks
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:00   #2721
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the view regarding the magic touch bar in the Macbook pro? I am confused between the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air laptops and the only major difference I could spot was the touch bar and a higher watt charger in the box with the Macbook Pro model. The lack of a fan or 2 hours less battery life isn't significant to my intended usage. Please advice.
Old 10th January 2021, 13:21   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The lack of a fan or 2 hours less battery life isn't significant to my intended usage. Please advice.
Am using my mac for scientific computing. Please take my usage in that context. Hardly using touch bar for any other functions except volume controls. I use mostly touch pad and keyboard shortcuts. I will suggest Mac Air if extra gpu core and extra battery life is not important . The air is thin and it will be more easy to use keyboard

Last edited by greyhound82 : 10th January 2021 at 13:26.
greyhound82 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 00:57   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
What is the view regarding the magic touch bar in the Macbook pro? I am confused between the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air laptops and the only major difference I could spot was the touch bar and a higher watt charger in the box with the Macbook Pro model. The lack of a fan or 2 hours less battery life isn't significant to my intended usage. Please advice.
Magic Touch Bar is a "nice to have" feature except for few controls like Tab, brightness and and volume keys are only provided on the Magic Touch Bar. These are the only controls I use it for.

Besides the view and controls change based on the application that is active. This is something innovative and cool.
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-img_1007.jpeg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-img_1008.jpeg  

Maibaa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 07:19   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
What is the view regarding the magic touch bar in the Macbook pro? I am confused between the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air laptops and the only major difference I could spot was the Touch Bar Please advice.

Even the most hyper of the reviewers (the ones who bought Mac Pro desktop at obscene pricing) have never suggested that magic Touch Bar was essential to experience Mac OS to the fullest. Rather it has always been criticised as it also does away with Fn key row. I would suggest go for air, save the bucks and for the difference buy apple care, Logitech mx master 3, higher wattage charger and a cool leather sleeve.
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:26   #2725
BHPian

Hello all,

Proud owner of the latest Silicon M1 MacBook Air. I received mine on the 28th of November 2020 and I happened to chance upon this thread. Posting some unboxing pictures below

I haven't used it much since I have a desktop at home. I'll use this whenever I am away from my house (traveling, friend's house etc.)

So far no lags or hiccups, works flawlessly. Battery life is impressive ( 8 am - 7.45 pm) with the RAM in full use and SWAP memory usage was close to 1.5 GB. I used Microsoft edge with almost 20 tabs open.
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-whatsapp-image-20201227-18.00.35.jpeg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-whatsapp-image-20201227-18.00.34.jpeg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-whatsapp-image-20201227-18.00.36.jpeg  

Last edited by ard1955 : 23rd January 2021 at 09:28. Reason: Mistakenly pressed Enter while compiling this post.
ard1955 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:46   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Rather it has always been criticised as it also does away with Fn key row.
Not really a show stopper.

You can choose which apps need to display the function keys in the touch bar via
System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Function keys

Touch bar - before
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-before.png

Configure
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-conffigure.png

Touch bar - after
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-after.png

PS. ⌘+⇧+6 = Touch bar screenshot saved as file
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:13   #2727
BHPian

Quote:
Get the Air. Not only is is the better buy between the two (underlying hardware being nearly identical), but most people who have tried both will likely agree that typing ergonomics are better without the touch-bar.

As for the functionality of the bar itself, I've always thought it to be a bit of a gimmick but there are people who enjoy it. At most, its a nice-to-have and subject to personal preference.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 09:08   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Dear all - Is it worth buying this MacBook Air, 13.3 Inches, 8GB Ram and 128GB HDD running in an Intel i5? It’s on offer at Amazon for 66K.

I am looking at this for basic home duties. No fancy games or anything else.

The M1 chip Model is 30K more and I wasn’t sure if it makes sense for me to spend so much on something where it’s largely a personal/home usage.

Thanks in advance for your views.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 24th January 2021 at 09:20.
Old 24th January 2021, 19:36   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Dear all - Is it worth buying this MacBook Air, 13.3 Inches, 8GB Ram and 128GB HDD running in an Intel i5? It’s on offer at Amazon for 66K.

I am looking at this for basic home duties. No fancy games or anything else.

The M1 chip Model is 30K more and I wasn’t sure if it makes sense for me to spend so much on something where it’s largely a personal/home usage.

Thanks in advance for your views.
Its running a dual-core i5 and I'm not sure if I can recommend it considering what else you can get for the price. If you must have the cheapest new macbook however, then I think its an automatic decision. Just FYI, if you have an HDFC credit card, you can get a sizable discound on the M1 Air.

Last edited by Amien : 24th January 2021 at 19:49.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 14:14   #2730
BHPian

I just picked a Macbook Air M1 256 GB Space Grey. It was out of stock at aptronix stores as well as all the major retailers.

Luckily Bajaj electronics, Jubilee Hills had a few pieces in stock. Time to again learn how to use Mac. I have used air before a few years back. But forgot all the shortcuts.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks