Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 13:48   #2866
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
I think none of the operating systems are secure

Probably there is no fix for this issue.
Theoretically, yes. But there is also no causal relationship between antivirus and security. AV mostly works using signature matches for the files, i.e. if there is a pattern in any file that matches a known malware in its database, the local AV will flag it so. So it is not always going to be effective, because the signature has to first exist in its database.

If we follow some basic precautions, like
1. Use one browser only for transactions, and another one for everything else
2. Check HTTPS padlock icons
3. Use 2-factor auth/ OTP (which is pretty common these days)
4. Do not store cookies/ passwords
5. Change passwords every 3-4 months
6. Keep OS and Apps updated
7. Use Tor browser/ Virtual Machine for "experimental" internet browsing or downloads

then antivirus is not needed, it will only slow down the system for no benefit. Safari on Mac OS along with Firefox (or even MS Edge, which I found to be pretty soft on battery as compared to the behemoth called Chrome) is enough.
mayukh42 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 11:24   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
I think none of the operating systems are secure, even if its Mac OS, experienced it once on my mac mini. Started using anti-virus post that incident.

I consider it important specially for banking transactions and online shopping.

Probably there is no fix for this issue.

Thank you.
Your mac is capable of running MacOS Catalina (10.15). Have you kept up with all the updates and also upgraded to Catalina?

Catalina has a lot of built-in protections which negate the need for an anti-virus; plus Safari has even more built-in protections against tracking and malware.

In addition if you install Firefox (and add the extension uBlock Origin) you are extremely well protected from just about anything. Please note, it should be uBlck Origin and not just uBlock.

Now, how do I know all this? I run Catalina on my daily driver and I too do my shopping and banking on that machine.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:42   #2868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Your mac is capable of running MacOS Catalina (10.15). Have you kept up with all the updates and also upgraded to Catalina?
Presently running Big Sur Version 11.6.1 and I keep all my PC and phones updated (specifically for security updates).

Hope Big Sur is even better in terms of inbuilt protection.

Will try uBlock Origin.

Thank you.
Old 11th November 2021, 00:37   #2869
BHPian

If anyone is planning skins for MacBook Pro, I can recommend the ones by Gadgetshieldz. Its bit costly at ~Rs 900, but material is great and offers great looks, scratch protection and increased grip for some skins as well
Old 11th November 2021, 12:00   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Presently running Big Sur Version 11.6.1 and I keep all my PC and phones updated (specifically for security updates).

Hope Big Sur is even better in terms of inbuilt protection.

Will try uBlock Origin.

Thank you.
It certainly is

And I only checked the very oldest base model of your model ID, and that could only run Cat; but I am happy that yours can run Big Sur.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 17:39   #2871
BHPian

Quote:

In addition if you install Firefox (and add the extension uBlock Origin) you are extremely well protected from just about anything. Please note, it should be uBlck Origin and not just uBlock.

Now, how do I know all this? I run Catalina on my daily driver and I too do my shopping and banking on that machine.

Cheers
There is a warning regarding uBlock Origin given by the browser that "it has access to all the information exchanged by you using the browser".

If that is the case how safe is it to carry out banking transactions and using credit cards for online payments etc.

I understand that by using anti-virus, the software provider too has access to similar data, but since it's a hypothetical agreement for trust, it is highly unlikely that the anti-virus software provider will use my personal data for fraudulent intentions.

Regarding the OTP and 3rd level security with card transactions, I have experienced an online fraud on my credit card, where no OTP was asked. Proving it to the bank was very difficult and I had to register complaints with local cyber crime cell and then with local police station. In-spite of dispute complaint, the bank kept on calling for paying the amount and the interest accumulated (on total outstanding) due to non payment of only the disputed amount.

In fact main international sites do not ask for OTP even at present times.

Thank you.

Last edited by Brumby : 11th November 2021 at 17:41. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 11th November 2021, 20:33   #2872
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello,

Any idea where’s the installer package of macOS Monterey stored while downloading? Actually I was downloading the 12 GB Monterey installation package to install the new OS but changed my mind in the process as a lot of goodies work only with the M1 chip and not intel. So I canceled the download midway but the half downloaded 3GB file is still occupying space lying somewhere in the SSD. I checked the library folder in applications but didn’t find it there. Any pointers?
Old 11th November 2021, 20:47   #2873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Any pointers?
Apple logo on the top bar -> About this Mac -> Storage -> Manage. You'll see Mac/iOS install files.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 21:19   #2874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Apple logo on the top bar -> About this Mac -> Storage -> Manage. You'll see Mac/iOS install files.
Checked there before as well. It has only ‘system’ and ‘other’ which are non-clickable items apart from usual apps and documents.
Old 12th November 2021, 00:53   #2875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Any pointers?
Check the temp folder.

From the desktop, pull up the 'Go To Folder' window (command + shift + G), and type /tmp or /var/tmp

You should find any temp files (not yet purged) cached there.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th November 2021 at 00:54.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 09:46   #2876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Check the temp folder.

From the desktop, pull up the 'Go To Folder' window (command + shift + G), and type /tmp or /var/tmp

You should find any temp files (not yet purged) cached there.
Thanks. Checked both folders and there’s nothing significant taking up space, still deleted the items there.
I updated to 11.6.1. Probably that update process has deleted the half downloaded Temp file.

Regards
Old 12th November 2021, 12:44   #2877
BHPian

Quote:
There is a warning regarding uBlock Origin given by the browser that "it has access to all the information exchanged by you using the browser".

If that is the case how safe is it to carry out banking transactions and using credit cards for online payments etc.

I understand that by using anti-virus, the software provider too has access to similar data, but since it's a hypothetical agreement for trust, it is highly unlikely that the anti-virus software provider will use my personal data for fraudulent intentions.
*SNIP*
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Privacy-policy

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wi...lock-Origin%3F

Please read the above.

Where do you see the info about uBlock Origin having access to all your information?

Cheers
Old 12th November 2021, 21:31   #2878
BHPian

Quote:

Where do you see the info about uBlock Origin having access to all your information?

Cheers
See the following pictures for Chrome, FireFox & Brave browsers.

I have added the screenshot for FireFox, where there is a warning showing the permissions uBlock will have by default.

I may have understood it wrongly, but as of now this is what my concern is. Probably there can be a better explanation.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20211112-9.19.48-pm.png  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20211112-9.19.02-pm.png  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20211112-9.16.45-pm.png  

Brumby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 22:22   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
warning showing the permissions uBlock will have by default
The reason for this generic list of permissions is because uBlock parses the html stream that returns in response to your http(s) requests. It filters out the connections to ad servers from them, could be just link tags in html (like a team bhp comment with link), or inside javascript. This is why uBlock is able to block dynamic ads, but static images in same domain as the website you are visiting, will get through.

Any extension that accesses this stream will be flagged by the browsers requiring those permissions.

However, uBlock is only blocking the request to ad servers. List of those servers (and in general, all of its code) is in public domain (github) and can be easily scrutinized if required. When code is in public domain, it is not easy to put trojans in it and get away.

If you are not convinced to use that extension, you can use Safari without any extensions for your transactions.
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 22:46   #2880
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Any idea where’s the installer package of macOS Monterey stored while downloading? Actually I was downloading the 12 GB Monterey installation package to install the new OS but changed my mind in the process as a lot of goodies work only with the M1 chip and not intel. So I canceled the download midway but the half downloaded 3GB file is still occupying space lying somewhere in the SSD. I checked the library folder in applications but didn’t find it there. Any pointers?
As Chetan mentioned, mac uses tmp path to download the temporary files. You can get the tmp path by running "open $TMPDIR" in the terminal.

In my case it was, "/var/folders/7d/sr_5rygn1kg0hrszk9ls00sm0000gn/T/". I had to navigate a few paths inwards to find the partially downloaded OS file. It was in /var/folders/ path for me(As a new folder zz).

You may check this once. If you cant find it, it may have gotten cleaned up when you updated to 11.6.1.
Poornavakra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks