Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 15:11   #2911
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Guys,

I have been a windows user from the start but after the win11 update, I am encountering lots of bugs and unexpected crashes on file manager, Brave browser, WebEx, etc. I have decided to ditch windows and jump into the Mac bandwagon. I am looking at the MBP 14/16inch base variants with 512GB storage.
I am a bit confused as to what kind of form factor I should go for as the price difference is quite significant (~45k) also would 512GB be sufficient for a couple of years down the line.

My work involves working with large PDFs, running multiple email clients simultaneously, 50+ tabs on the browser, and running Google Sheet(s) at the same time.
Old 29th January 2022, 17:05   #2912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroah View Post
Guys,

I have been a windows user from the start but after the win11 update, I am encountering lots of bugs and unexpected crashes on file manager, Brave browser, WebEx, etc. I have decided to ditch windows and jump into the Mac bandwagon. I am looking at the MBP 14/16inch base variants with 512GB storage.
I am a bit confused as to what kind of form factor I should go for as the price difference is quite significant (~45k) also would 512GB be sufficient for a couple of years down the line.

My work involves working with large PDFs, running multiple email clients simultaneously, 50+ tabs on the browser, and running Google Sheet(s) at the same time.
I own the 14" base MBP and can add a few things here. Firstly, keep in mind that for the workload you mentioned the processors (even the base variants) are super overkill. I run similar workloads and I knew this when I bought mine - I valued other important things for me such as the screen, speakers, fan noise etc.

The first question you should ask yourself is do you value portability? Do you want the flexibility to work on the go and plug the laptop in to a 24inch+ monitor when extra real estate is required. Or would this be the "jack-of-all-trades" laptop that you will use just as is.

If you value portability: I would suggest first looking at the 13" M1 Macbook Air (or even the 13" M1 Macbook Pro) - it is the perfect entry point into the Mac world. Both can easily handle the workloads you mentioned and are available at much more digestible prices. The 13" M1 Macbook Air is an amazing laptop and I would have bought it when it launched a year ago but my 7-year old Macbook pro was chugging along just fine so decided to wait it out.

If portability is not a concern: The current 16" MBP is hands down the best laptop on the market right now (and it costs an arm and a leg). Nothing even comes close.

Since this is a once-in-a-decade type of purchase - I would recommend watching the many, many Youtube videos on this very topic before you make a decision. They cover these comparisons in plenty of amazing detail.
solaris007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 22:22   #2913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
If you are still looking for a good deal on MS office for Mac, I found one today from Kinja deals which is a deals aggregator site. MS office home and business for Mac 1 license. 2021 version lifetime license for 50$. I purchased the key today with my Credit card and was able to get the key validated and download the installer from the official MS site and installed and activated. Looks good.

Deal valid for 24hrs and 14hrs still left as of this posting
Thanks so much! Had bought the official one some time after my original post but will keep this in mind next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Hello All
Looking for used macbook air M1 processor in Bangalore.
My 2017 macbook air is gone completely after coke spillage. Tried 2 different repair shops and all are saying that complete motherboard needs to be replaced. Tried green apple, ifix and one more shop.
Tried searching online deals in quikr, olx etc. but couldn’t find any logical deals.
They are either new with showroom prices or low prices listings look like scam postings.
Any tip to find genuine deal or other trusted platforms?
What kind of prices were you quoted for a new motherboard?
I may have got you wrong but how will you use a M1 processor with a 2017 MBA?
Old 9th February 2022, 16:44   #2914
BHPian

Need Help from fellow Mac users:

Recently got a M1 Macbook air from USA. Jan 2020 purchase.
The tech support informed me that within 60 days I can purchase a 3 yr Apple care+ pack for INR 18k approx.

My question is, is it worth it? I'm going to be light user of the laptop mainly for word processing and general browsing and entertainment. Is it worth it or I can skip it?

Any help, feedback, advice will be greatly helpful.
Also need help in buying a c type HUB which preferably have a LAN port too. Found them online but the price range is absurd from INR 6K to INR 600 !

Thanks in advance for your inputs. Must admit its my second bite at the famed IOS ecosystem. Last time it wasn't a happy marriage!
Old 9th February 2022, 17:02   #2915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Is it worth it or I can skip it?
I haven't bought it on any of my several Apple products, and Macs are fairly sturdy so imo, you can skip. But base this decision on how you use your devices, in case the accidental damage protection may be handy.

Quote:
Also need help in buying a c type HUB which preferably have a LAN port too.
I've been using this for the past seven months, pretty happy.

https://www.amazon.in/Belkin-Multime.../dp/B07Q3HP6KQ

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th February 2022 at 17:04.
Old 9th February 2022, 18:30   #2916
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My question is, is it worth it? I'm going to be light user of the laptop mainly for word processing and general browsing and entertainment. Is it worth it or I can skip it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I haven't bought it on any of my several Apple products, and Macs are fairly sturdy so imo, you can skip. But base this decision on how you use your devices, in case the accidental damage protection may be handy.
I would say its definitely worth it. Especially for laptops. But am surprised. You are usually allowed to buy the additional warranty within a year and not 60 days? Looks like something changed?
Old 9th February 2022, 22:40   #2917
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The tech support informed me that within 60 days I can purchase a 3 yr Apple care+ pack for INR 18k approx.

Not sure if it’s worth at 18k but I must say, within Apple care, they replace parts, no questions asked. I also have a 2012 MacBook Pro from US; my dad had purchased Apple care at the time right there. Come 2014, the Hard Disk failed which was duly replaced. Following year, just before Apple care ran out, display failed which was again replaced. I don’t really recall how much was paid for Apple care in US but it paid for itself in these two replacements. I’m sure these failures are uncommon or else we would’ve seen a lot more noise online about it.
That said, I’m still using the MacBook Pro, almost 10yrs later! Sure the speaker has cracked and it has slowed down a little, but it still works!

Cheers
Old 10th February 2022, 13:27   #2918
BHPian

Quote:

Any help, feedback, advice will be greatly helpful.
Also need help in buying a c type HUB which preferably have a LAN port too. Found them online but the price range is absurd from INR 6K to INR 600 !
I am in the same dilemma. My 60 days end this month.
I would suggest the Anker hub on Amazon. Usually retails for 6K but comes down to 4K in sales. I picked it up for 4k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
While the accidental damage protection is there, what makes it confusing is that this isn't a car insurance of sorts. You have to pay a decent amount of money for each repair, just less than how much it would cost if you didn't opt for apple care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say its definitely worth it. Especially for laptops. But am surprised. You are usually allowed to buy the additional warranty within a year and not 60 days? Looks like something changed?
It's still 60 days. Maybe OP meant Jan 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Not sure if it’s worth at 18k but I must say, within Apple care, they replace parts, no questions asked.
Yes I've heard that from the warranty aspect it's a great purchase. A friend told me that even if the keyboard leaves a mark on the screen it'll be replaced.

I'm thoroughly confused. I bought the laptop for 1L so buying apple care for 18K++ is really tough to digest
Old 15th February 2022, 09:12   #2919
BHPian

Quote:

TL;DR: I highly recommend that you get it.

I got my 8 months old pre-owned M1 MBP few months back, and I opted Apple Care + immediately. The display on my MBP gave off within few days of use and later was diagnosed as the infamous flex-gate which Apple is still tight lipped about. Thankfully, display was replaced without any charge as the laptop is under original warranty. Now the cost of display alone is Rs 40-45k without warranty is what I was told.

Quote:
Last time it wasn't a happy marriage!
Tell me about it, I was a MBP user since 2012 and it did have its share of issues. Though Macs are reliable and all, owning one wasn't a rosy affair at least to me. Mind you, I was not a heavy user at all, for my usage was just browsing and that's about it. My keyboard gave off for the 3rd time in 2019, and then the kind Apple folks told the entire motherboard needs to be replaced and quoted 40k. Replaced the keyboard alone at my trusted repair guy for 6k, used it for few more months, sold the MBP in 2019, and bid goodbye to the Apple Ecosystem mainly because of the atrocious repair/parts prices. Also, just to give a perspective of the way I treat my laptops, I do have few laptops that are 10+ years old, still on stock hardware, and running without any issues. I'm sure things aren't going to be cheap with M1s as things are soldered to motherboard, for any failure of even a single part will lead to entire motherboard getting replaced, which I'm sure will cost north of 50k.

Anyway, now that I have opted for Apple Care + for my M1 MBP, one thing I'll surely have for the next 2 years is peace of mind without worrying about repair bills. So I highly recommend you get one.

Cheers!
Old 19th February 2022, 11:54   #2920
BHPian

Guys,

What is the general student discount one gets on Macbook Pro 13.3 inch. In Bangalore all of the authorized guys are quoting 6% whereas some retailers are giving upto 10% in Delhi/Lucknow region plus a similar percentage is on apple's website.

I cant buy from any other place or online because the need is sort of urgent
Old 1st March 2022, 09:10   #2921
Team-BHP Support

How does one save photos from iCloud to a Windows desktop? (To upload it somewhere).
Thanks.
Old 1st March 2022, 09:12   #2922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How does one save photos from iCloud to a Windows desktop? (To upload it somewhere).
Thanks.
Install iCloud on windows.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 09:13   #2923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Install iCloud on windows.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283
I clicked on more download options and could save the image file .
Old 17th March 2022, 21:31   #2924
Senior - BHPian

My 2011 MBP got a new lease of life. After being refused a battery in India and overseas too (UAE, US), I finally found it in UK. Replaced it and the Mac is alive. Love this keyboard compared to any new one
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-cd122a2f166048129cdb2283952506e6.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 20:38   #2925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My 2011 MBP got a new lease of life. After being refused a battery in India and overseas too (UAE, US), I finally found it in UK. Replaced it and the Mac is alive. Love this keyboard compared to any new one
How did you source it to india?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks