Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2021, 19:17   #2851
Team-BHP Support

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Just a note of caution, not all SSDs are equal and after replacing the stock SSD with a Samsung 980 500GB, the computer is unable to wake up from sleep in some cases. Here's a fix that I'm using for the time being. (link)
Yes, I'd come across the Kernel panic issues when reading up on upgrades.

Alternatively, how about adding a Transcend expansion card instead?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 19:29   #2852
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Speed will be slower than native performance for sure. I'm not sure by how much, but I discarded this idea long back. My office iMac (2012 iMac with glued display) is running off a usb 3 ssd rather than the inbuilt hdd. Pretty sure this would be a bad idea for a laptop.
A shame the direct drop-in options from OWC and Transcend are both absurdly expensive and barely available anywhere.

I'm leaning towards a Samsung 970 Evo Plus with an adapter, will disable standby mode to avoid the Kernel panic issue.

Anything else to watch out for? This is better half's work laptop, has worked without a hitch since we got it, so downtime (or worse) won't be appreciated
Old 8th November 2021, 19:45   #2853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Anything else to watch out for? This is better half's work laptop, has worked without a hitch since we got it, so downtime (or worse) won't be appreciated
The screw holding down the stock SSD tends to slip. I had almost given up, but managed to get it undone at the last attempt (2 hrs of trying). Please account for this if downtime is critical. The new SSD will have a spare screw, please use that.

Here is a pic:
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-8049d52606e147f0a6fc21ef714eccc6.jpg

My mom's a teacher and she had a lecture next day morning. So it was a bit too close to comfort for her. Fortunately all went fine. Also you'll take some time to reinstall from the time machine backup as the new ssd might not get recognised in the first instance. You might need to go into recovery, format the ssd and then download the OS from the web and then back up from the time machine.

Last edited by blackwasp : 8th November 2021 at 19:47.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 19:51   #2854
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Please account for this if downtime is critical. The new SSD will have a spare screw, please use that.
Noted. Plan is to do this on an off day for her, just so we have plenty of time to sort any issues out (at worst reinstall the original SSD).

Quote:
You might need to go into recovery, format the ssd and then download the OS from the web and then back up from the time machine.
That's the plan. Time Machine backup > Install SSD > Start in Recovery Mode > Erase/Format SSD in Disk Utility > Clean install macOS > Restore files/user data from backup.
Old 8th November 2021, 20:31   #2855
BHPian

Hello friends,

I am using a MacBook Air model A1465 with a paid version of Norton 360 deluxe (5 devices).

The issue I am facing is connectivity with Wi-Fi at home (Jio and MTNL).

Sometimes the laptop takes more than 15-20 minutes to provide internet connectivity though it is connected to the Wi-Fi.

This is very annoying and frustrating. This issue is not faced with Wi-Fi connections at hotels.

If I uninstall the anti-virus there is no issue at all.

I consulted Norton support, but they were not able to help and as compensation offered to extend the subscription for a month

If any one has faced similar issues, please help.

I have tried various troubleshooting steps normally available on apple support and other sites without any success.

Thank you.
Old 8th November 2021, 20:31   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
That's the plan. Time Machine backup > Install SSD > Start in Recovery Mode > Erase/Format SSD in Disk Utility > Clean install macOS > Restore files/user data from backup.
May I ask, what exactly is the need for SSD upgrade?

Also, I would suggest formatting the SSD to apple format before putting it inside the MacBook. The latest iterations of MAC OS are less and less flexible and one would not want to be caught on the wrong foot after investing the moolah on the upgrade.
Old 8th November 2021, 22:30   #2857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
May I ask, what exactly is the need for SSD upgrade?
Insufficient base storage (128 GB). The only clean/non-bulky external space upgrade option seems to be via the SD Card slot, and has speed limitations.

Quote:
Also, I would suggest formatting the SSD to apple format before putting it inside the MacBook.
How does one do that? From everything I've read - I'm not a Mac user myself so all knowledge is theoretical - the sequence is plug in new SSD > Erase/Format using disk utility in recovery mode > install macOS and restore user data.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th November 2021 at 22:33.
Old 8th November 2021, 22:39   #2858
BHPian

If you have any extremal laptop USB hard disk, just open the case, plugin SSD and to mac through USB and format using disk utility.

While there, you can even clone your entire old partition so that you can simply swap the disks later.

Quote:
How does one do that? From everything I've read - I'm not a Mac user myself so all knowledge is theoretical - the sequence is plug in new SSD > Erase/Format using disk utility in recovery mode > install macOS and restore user data.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 22:48   #2859
BHPian

Quote:
Insufficient base storage (128 GB). The only clean/non-bulky external space upgrade option seems to be via the SD Card slot, and has speed limitations.
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screenshot-20211108-10.38.14-pm.png

I am in the same boat as you are but I do not store much media on my mac, considering this device is a work laptop for your spouse, I would suggest cleaning up the storage once unless there are some really large heavy files on local storage which can not be offloaded. The main culprits for consuming storage are - iPhone backups. Photos / Videos back up. Storing Movies / large media files, all of these can easily be migrated to an external drive.

Quote:
I am no expert myself and the disk utility part as described by you should work flawlessly but just to avoid any hassle (Apple is notorious for introducing random checks) I would format the drive beforehand by using it in an external enclosure just to be doubly safe.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
If you have any extremal laptop USB hard disk, just open the case, plugin SSD and to mac through USB and format using disk utility.

While there, you can even clone your entire old partition so that you can simply swap the disks later.
+1 to this.

Last edited by roamer012 : 8th November 2021 at 22:50.
Old 9th November 2021, 00:27   #2860
BHPian

Quote:
Have a few questions about a MacBook Air A1466 (model year 2017).

SSD replacement: Which one? And type? Direct swap in or adpater needed? Samsung comes well-recommended.
I have the exact model and did the SSD upgradation in Aug.
Found Samsung to be expensive, So I explored other alternatives and narrowed down on Western Digital. The ones without adaptor are hard to find and are super expensive.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adaptor:
Worked flawlessly.

Quote:
Battery: Where to get an original one, if it's even possible anymore? Mine shows 5940 mAh in the Power tab. Pretty decent I think, given installed capacity was about 7000 mAh? May leave this for later.
I recently got one installed for 4300 rupees with 6 months warranty from a local shop. Original one is expensive, so it was not even in my list.
You should continue with the existing one if you are not having too many issues other than reduced mAh.

Quote:
Screwdriver kit: Recommendation needed.
I went with "Quad Store 121 in 1 Precision Screwdriver Set". Wanted an exhaustive one in case I need it for any other work at later point. Worked perfectly well.

Quote:
macOS setup, Backup & Restore (from old SSD): Recommendation needed.
I had taken the time machine backup but decided not to use it for restore(Had it more as a last resort in case I need it).
Since I had played around with a lot of softwares, I wanted to go with clean install. So, I skipped the time machine restore and went for new installation of the required softwares. I did copy the data though.
I would recommend this approach if you don't have any major dependency on the configuration of the softwares. Gives you clean slate.

Upgrade took about an hour for me and had no issues during the upgrade.

Post upgrade Experience:
Guess this is the important part. I have had below issues post the SSD upgradation. I cannot be sure if these issues are directly related to the upgrade(Except 3rd one), but they appeared after a month post upgrade.
1. My battery started draining heavily(gave just 1 hour backup when I decided to replace it). During the replacement, I got to know that one of the cells had given up and hence the battery % would drop from 50 to 7% in a matter of few seconds. This was not a stock battery, so it could have also reached end of its life(more than a year).

2. My original charger has issues exactly coinciding with the battery issue. Have to tinker around with the connector to figure out certain angle when the charging happens.

3. Tried to upgrade to the Monterey but get an error "This disk has SMART Errors and cant be repaired. Replace disk". Tried a few tricks to fix the issue but none worked.

Havent faced any Kernel panic issues.
Poornavakra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 06:59   #2861
BHPian

Quote:
A shame the direct drop-in options from OWC and Transcend are both absurdly expensive and barely available anywhere
You may want to have a look at this https://www.amazon.in/DATARAM-512GB-...07XB3C3L5&th=1
Old 9th November 2021, 08:30   #2862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
You may want to have a look at this https://www.amazon.in/DATARAM-512GB-...07XB3C3L5&th=1
Getting an adapter separately works cheaper. Checkout the link Poornavakra has shared in the previous post.

I got 2 adapters from UK, but later realised its cheaper in India.
Old 9th November 2021, 10:57   #2863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
Hello friends,

I am using a MacBook Air model A1465 with a paid version of Norton 360 deluxe (5 devices).

*SNIP*
Why? You do not need any of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
This is very annoying and frustrating. This issue is not faced with Wi-Fi connections at hotels.

If I uninstall the anti-virus there is no issue at all.
*SNIP*
There's your solution.

I do not know why it does not affect the connection in hotels though. I mean, I could google this, but cannot bring up any enthusiasm for this.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 12:26   #2864
Team-BHP Support

Rant:

The P5 screws are an absolute nightmare. Delicate, and very easy to damage. I couldn't get the two longer ones right behind the hinge to budge at all.

Why can't they use simple star screws like everyone else?
Old 9th November 2021, 13:11   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Why? You do not need any of this.
I think none of the operating systems are secure, even if its Mac OS, experienced it once on my mac mini. Started using anti-virus post that incident.

I consider it important specially for banking transactions and online shopping.

Probably there is no fix for this issue.

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks