Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 09:47   #2821
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Even I face the same keyboard issues on my 2017 MBP, but in India wont get this level of service. They just dont care. So, shall submit to the 'Genius' at Mall of Emirates in Dubai, who are really 'customer friendly'
Are you sure? I believe it is a worldwide recall and 2017 MBP's are all included. May be worth giving it a try, have a look here for more info: https://support.apple.com/en-euro/ke...-mac-notebooks
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 11:53   #2822
BHPian

Just boarded the Macbook train for the first time & obviously I am lost at a couple of things, would appreciate if experts could guide.

1. When ever I try to update apps, it asks me to login with Apple ID and when I do, it says, ID has not been used to log in to Apple apps before or something similar. I googled and found a thread where it says, this could be because I have not updated my credit card details. Question to experts - If I update credit card details, can Apple directly charge my card without me approving the transaction? How plausible is this scenario?
2. I want MS Office - the only way here is to buy a subscription?
3. How good or bad dongles(extension for USB) are in long term for Mac, any negative impact? I intend to keep this laptop for at least 5 years.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks,
A
Old 7th October 2021, 11:58   #2823
Senior - BHPian

Hi, You can bypass the payment info and move forward. Even if you log in your details, they cant charge you without approval. So be rest assured. (BTW, I don't think this is the issue)
2. MS Office for Mac costed me 7K (Lifetime for one machine), Yes, you need to buy it
3. Get a good dongle like the one discussed here. There is no bad impact on the machine (Except if you forget removing it on the move, and bend the connectors)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Just boarded the Macbook train for the first time & obviously I am lost at a couple of things, would appreciate if experts could guide.

Last edited by Sebring : 7th October 2021 at 11:59.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 12:14   #2824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
If I update credit card details, can Apple directly charge my card without me approving the transaction? How plausible is this scenario?
Only scenario is if you have a subscription like Apple Music for example. On Macs, it'll ask you for password for payments. Only on iPhone it uses Face recognition to authorize.

Quote:
2. I want MS Office - the only way here is to buy a subscription?
Office for Mac Home was 99 EUR when I brought my MacPro. You'll not get Outlook. Otherwise O365 subscription is the other way.

Quote:
3. How good or bad dongles(extension for USB) are in long term for Mac, any negative impact? I intend to keep this laptop for at least 5 years.
As Sebring says, its more due to human error. For storage or wifi I never use USB. Only dongle I regularly is for wireless keyboard-mouse. Am living with a 128 GB SSD for the 9th year now
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 12:35   #2825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
An update on this.

I went to the Apple store after booking an online appointment for battery service. The "genius" guy was super helpful. He asked if I had any keyboard issues, which I did, and said that as part of the recall for the butterfly keyboard issues, they will replace the keyboard for free, but the process also includes a battery replacement as well! So got both the keyboard (including the touchbar), and battery replaced for free, saving a cool £200 (20k INR)!
Vs India, my official laptop battery decided to conk off. Now the issue is I am totally dependent on it (no personal laptop) and can't afford down time for long. But apple service in BLR a) Does not have battery in stock b) wants me to leave it first to do diagnosis, then order battery and then collect in 5-7 days back. I offered to pay ahead and order for battery, so that I can walk in do the diagnostics (which in fact is just a rip off to make couple of thousands, which I am ok with) and then do the replacement and take laptop in couple of hours.

Hell no! tried 2-3 so called apple vendors, raised the issue with apple support and no one really had a workable solution.

Finally one vendor has agreed to give it a shot and asked me to visit them. Have to see what happens there. Been using apple comps since 2011 and never ever I have seen so much of nonsense being dished out for a battery replacement and that too where customer is ready to pay upfront!
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:30   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, You can bypass the payment info and move forward. Even if you log in your details, they cant charge you without approval. So be rest assured. (BTW, I don't think this is the issue)
2. MS Office for Mac costed me 7K (Lifetime for one machine), Yes, you need to buy it
3. Get a good dongle like the one discussed here. There is no bad impact on the machine (Except if you forget removing it on the move, and bend the connectors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Only scenario is if you have a subscription like Apple Music for example. On Macs, it'll ask you for password for payments. Only on iPhone it uses Face recognition to authorize.

As Sebring says, its more due to human error. For storage or wifi I never use USB. Only dongle I regularly is for wireless keyboard-mouse. Am living with a 128 GB SSD for the 9th year now
Thank you both of you, this has been really helpful.
Old 8th October 2021, 22:39   #2827
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jaggu. Apple isn't giving battery for my 2011 MBP. Kindly share this contact with me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Finally one vendor has agreed to give it a shot and asked me to visit them. Have to see what happens there. Been using apple comps since 2011 and never ever I have seen so much of nonsense being dished out for a battery replacement and that too where customer is ready to pay upfront!
Old 11th October 2021, 11:21   #2828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Jaggu. Apple isn't giving battery for my 2011 MBP. Kindly share this contact with me
Have dm'ed you, you can check with irepair they should be able to help you with this.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:04   #2829
BHPian

Quote:
Vs India, my official laptop battery decided to conk off. Now the issue is I am totally dependent on it (no personal laptop) and can't afford down time for long. But apple service in BLR a) Does not have battery in stock b) wants me to leave it first to do diagnosis, then order battery and then collect in 5-7 days back. I offered to pay ahead and order for battery, so that I can walk in do the diagnostics (which in fact is just a rip off to make couple of thousands, which I am ok with) and then do the replacement and take laptop in couple of hours.

Hell no! tried 2-3 so called apple vendors, raised the issue with apple support and no one really had a workable solution.

Jaggu, I had the same experience with Imagine/Ample. Finally I managed to get in touch with Planet Care (*+91 7397-779376‬) in Kalyan Nagar. They did the whole thing while I waited - and to boot they also changed my keyboard and top case because there was a recall. Maybe they could help you in future.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 23:51   #2830
Senior - BHPian

Bought the Microsoft Office Home and Student 2021 lifetime version (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) from Amazon for 1 computer or 1 Mac. The original price was 99xx, reduced to 68xx (Amazon sale price) and I got it for 62xx nett nett with a credit card discount.

Got the product key and installation steps via email in the next thirty minutes. Installation on my MacBook Air M1 was a breeze. Happy to be finally free of Windows

Cheers
Old 19th October 2021, 13:28   #2831
Team-BHP Support

Finally the new MacBook Pro is out and apple has really given a googlie by giving so many options M1 Pro.. M1 Pro Max.. and within these so many confusing choices!! I think Mahindra has influenced apple in a very big way lol. And they have seriously jacked up the prices just to say year after year that next model will be at same price, and older model lesser by 100$

I had a 2011 MBP which I used till 2020, I could upgrade it with SSD and additional memory mid way. Since the newer ones are not replaceable will go with lil upgraded spec.

Initially it was a dilemma, the additional GPU core of Pro Max really does not make a dent for my personal use, plus some MS office and photo editing. So from a longevity perspective I decided I will go with this. Max number of core within Pro chip and upgraded memory. Thanks to fellow mod for chipping in with perspective.

Hardware
Apple M1*Pro with 10-core CPU, 16-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
96W USB-C Power Adapter
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 13:35   #2832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hardware
Apple M1*Pro with 10-core CPU, 16-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
96W USB-C Power Adapter
I am thinking about upgrading my wife's 2011 Macbook air, but I will be going for the base MacBook Pro 14. 8 core CPU, 16 GB unified memory.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 15:46   #2833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have dm'ed you, you can check with irepair they should be able to help you with this.
I got 2 batteries from irepair. Both gave up in few months. They didnt charge for the second one.

Ajmat has the same story. These non apple or same as OEM batteries just don't work.

They last max 1 year if you are lucky.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 20:01   #2834
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

And the notch comes to the MacBook Pro. Dunno how the iPads managed to escape this atrocity.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-gsmarena_004.jpg
Old 19th October 2021, 23:24   #2835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I am thinking about upgrading my wife's 2011 Macbook air, but I will be going for the base MacBook Pro 14. 8 core CPU, 16 GB unified memory.
They have skimped a lot on this model, including the lower capacity charger. I am also looking to upgrade, but undecided on the spec at the moment. Will pick the 14 most probably.

On a different note, the estimated delivery dates are moving out at a brisk pace. Availability of most variants has now moved to mid Nov. A few 16s have gone into mid Dec! The only ones now available in a week seem to be the 14 base (8CPU/14GPU/16GB) and the next one (10CPU/14GPU/16GB).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks