Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2021, 23:36   #2881
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

I have this issue on my M1 MBP. Out of the blue, today morning a yellow vertical bar of sorts appeared on my Mac. Also there is a slight flickering of apps. Tried restarting a couple of times but no luck. The bar appears only on MBP's display and not on external one. So as the MBP is still under warranty, took the laptop to svc, and surprisingly 4 people with same issue were present there. Anyone here faced same/similar issue?

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-issue.jpg

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 02:15   #2882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
I think none of the operating systems are secure, even if its Mac OS, experienced it once on my mac mini. Started using anti-virus post that incident.

I consider it important specially for banking transactions and online shopping.

Probably there is no fix for this issue.

Thank you.
You could use Tails OS if you don’t trust any of the others.

https://tails.boum.org/

Quote:
I understand that by using anti-virus, the software provider too has access to similar data, but since it's a hypothetical agreement for trust, it is highly unlikely that the anti-virus software provider will use my personal data for fraudulent intentions.
Depending on how things are setup on their side, an external/internal bad actor could steal/leak this data to dark web and then its a matter of bids. Like you don’t trust the OS, you shouldn’t trust the AV either. Its good to have multiple layers of security rather than just relying on the AV.

Quote:
Regarding the OTP and 3rd level security with card transactions, I have experienced an online fraud on my credit card, where no OTP was asked. Proving it to the bank was very difficult and I had to register complaints with local cyber crime cell and then with local police station. In-spite of dispute complaint, the bank kept on calling for paying the amount and the interest accumulated (on total outstanding) due to non payment of only the disputed amount.

In fact main international sites do not ask for OTP even at present times.

Thank you.
I remember when I had a HDFC credit card, there was an option to disable international transactions from Netbanking portal. Maybe speak to the bank to get this done or move to one that offers this facility. It’s not just online where your card data is at risk, it can be compromised in the real world too. So having this ability is a good protection against such frauds.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 22:36   #2883
BHPian

Recently my Mac got updated to Catalina 10.15.7
After this something has majorly gone wrong. The system suddenly freezes for about 10 seconds and auto reboots.

Have anyone else experienced the same after the most recent upgrades ?

Not sure if it could be a problem with the SSD or the RAM.
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:22   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Recently my Mac got updated to Catalina 10.15.7
After this something has majorly gone wrong. The system suddenly freezes for about 10 seconds and auto reboots.

Have anyone else experienced the same after the most recent upgrades ?

Not sure if it could be a problem with the SSD or the RAM.
Try the usual steps first to see if any of them resolves the issue:

1. Start the Mac in safe mode and see if it is stable in that mode, then shutdown and restart in normal mode and see if it continues to be stable. Google how to start in safe mode.

2. If that does not work, do the usual SMC and NVRAM reset (google this for your specific model) and see if that helps.

3. Final last-ditch option - do a complete nuke-and-pave (complete "clean" "fresh" install of Catalina instead of "upgrade" from the current version) and see if that helps.

Good luck and keep us posted if you manage to get this resolved some way or the other.

Cheers
tilt is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:39   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Try the usual steps first to see if any of them resolves the issue:
Luckily I did not have to go this far.
Today morning it showed one more update pending, ran that update as well.
It rebooted twice and for now the problem does not seem to be there.

Hope it remains this way.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 18:17   #2886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
I have this issue on my M1 MBP. Out of the blue, today morning a yellow vertical bar of sorts appeared on my Mac. Also there is a slight flickering of apps. Tried restarting a couple of times but no luck. The bar appears only on MBP's display and not on external one. So as the MBP is still under warranty, took the laptop to svc, and surprisingly 4 people with same issue were present there. Anyone here faced same/similar issue?

Cheers!
Quoting myself earlier, the SVC confirmed the issue is related to display, and changed the display under warranty. The issue could probably be related to the infamous "Flexgate". Didn't pay a single penny for the replacement. I've also taken the extended warranty so I'm sorted for next two years for any hardware issues.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 17:50   #2887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Quoting myself earlier, the SVC confirmed the issue is related to display, and changed the display under warranty. The issue could probably be related to the infamous "Flexgate". Didn't pay a single penny for the replacement. I've also taken the extended warranty so I'm sorted for next two years for any hardware issues.
Interesting that the M1 ones have it too. My sister's 2017 Pro had a similar dark strip in the middle of the screen (it also showed no camera connected, and it would progressively dim while opening to a certain angle before going completely blank) and we got it fixed free of charge, and we were informed that the fix has been incorporated in series production (a display cable being kinked and ruptured, if I remember correctly) and it wouldn't happen again. This is definitely concerning.

Last edited by ron178 : 26th November 2021 at 17:52.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 11:53   #2888
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Need advice on the following for a Macbook Air M1 USA:

1.) What GB storage should be enough. Its going to be a home computer for general laptop work/word proceesing etc. But want to future proof it also.
2.) Can I buy apple care from USA which can be used here in India as the laptop is always going to be here.

Any other suggestion or tips would be of great help.
Old 8th December 2021, 12:46   #2889
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post

1.) What GB storage should be enough. Its going to be a home computer for general laptop work/word proceesing etc. But want to future proof it also.
2.) Can I buy apple care from USA which can be used here in India as the laptop is always going to be here.
When I bought my M1 Air, I prioritised RAM over space so got the 16GB/256 GB SSD option. Best case scenario, 512GB SSD would be ideal but the cost was stretching quite a bit and Cloud storage has gotten so cheap, I thought that'll work out cheaper.

About Apple Care, check with Apple directly. Apple Care from the US is valid in India for iPhones since a couple of years, not sure about Macs.
Old 8th December 2021, 15:38   #2890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
When I bought my M1 Air, I prioritised RAM over space so got the 16GB/256 GB SSD option. Best case scenario, 512GB SSD would be ideal but the cost was stretching quite a bit and Cloud storage has gotten so cheap, I thought that'll work out cheaper.

About Apple Care, check with Apple directly. Apple Care from the US is valid in India for iPhones since a couple of years, not sure about Macs.
Won't a 16 GB RAM setup be an overkill for general computing purposes. I'm a Mac novice hence the question. Please excuse me if its obvious.
Old 8th December 2021, 15:50   #2891
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Won't a 16 GB RAM setup be an overkill for general computing purposes. I'm a Mac novice hence the question. Please excuse me if its obvious.
It's the perfect way to future proof your Mac, since they tend to last really long. For eg. I bought my 2013 MBP with 8 GB RAM and that continues to work beautifully, the 8GB RAM ensures it still works just as it did out of the box. The same will happen in the years to come, 16GB will becomes mainstream. Not necessarily for the work you do, but for the apps you might run.

Eg. My nephew had to borrow my laptop for his university online entrance exam because the software they used had a 8 GB RAM requirement.
Old 8th December 2021, 15:54   #2892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,
1) I have a similar usage but want to keep the laptop for the longest possible time hence bought the 16GB/1TB option. I don’t use cloud storage and don’t want to keep transferring data as well so the choice was pretty straightforward.

2) I found something from Apple Forums, attached below, however it would be better to check again from wherever you buy the MacBook.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-59e6402077e044be99b70769574a12ba.jpeg

Cheers
Old 8th December 2021, 16:05   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
1) I have a similar usage but want to keep the laptop for the longest possible time hence bought the 16GB/1TB option. I don’t use cloud storage and don’t want to keep transferring data as well so the choice was pretty straightforward.

2) I found something from Apple Forums, attached below, however it would be better to check again from wherever you buy the MacBook.

Attachment 2242908

Cheers
Quote:
It's the perfect way to future proof your Mac, since they tend to last really long. For eg. I bought my 2013 MBP with 8 GB RAM and that continues to work beautifully, the 8GB RAM ensures it still works just as it did out of the box. The same will happen in the years to come, 16GB will becomes mainstream. Not necessarily for the work you do, but for the apps you might run.

Eg. My nephew had to borrow my laptop for his university online entrance exam because the software they used had a 8 GB RAM requirement.
Thanks for the update and opinion. Will stick to 16gb RAM/256 GB storage. For storage I don't mind using a portable drive as and when its required.
Old 9th December 2021, 17:20   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Any other suggestion or tips would be of great help.
8GB RAM is enough with M1 Macs, but go as large as you can afford on storage.

AppleCare is valid anywhee in the world for any Apple device irrespective of where it is bought. Sourcer - my devices and experience.

Quote:
When I bought my M1 Air, I prioritised RAM over space so got the 16GB/256 GB SSD option.*SNIP*
For M1 Macs 8GB is seriously plenty, even for some pro use. These are not like the non M1 macs.

Quote:
It is overkill even for some pros because it is M1. Older Macs, sure, yhou need more RAM.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2021, 18:40   #2895
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
For M1 Macs 8GB is seriously plenty, even for some pro use. These are not like the non M1 macs.
It is not so much as will 8GB suffice for your intended use but whether it will suffice future MacOS requirements. RAM and processor are the main factors that influence eligibility for OS, so there will definitely be a point in time where 16GB will be minimum requirement. Definitely not immediately, maybe in 4-5 years.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks