Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2017, 16:52   #2131
BHPian

OK, one more update from just now:

I launched Etrecheck around 5 hours ago approximately. As of this writing it still had not finished running. It completed the hardware checks, the software checked and got stuck at the daemons stage and never progressed further .

So, I have given up; and I am just starting the complete nuke and pave re-install of the complete OS.

If it installs in a reasonable amount of time, I shall see if it's usable in the plain vanilla state. If it is, then I am guessing it was some daemon that was creating the whole problem and that it was not a hardware issue.

If it doesn't, then of course it has to be hardware-related. I anyway have to take it to the shop tomorrow, so this is a last ditch attempt just for shits and giggles.

Cheers

Mods, apologies for double-posting, I posted before I read this. Please merge if needed, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
If possible, get the disk out if the MBP and plug it in to another computer, and run extensive tests. You will need a SATA to USB cable, or basically an openable external hard disk casing.
If those tests run clean, then another way can be to create a clone the boot partition on a different disk and attempt booting from it.
If you do have an older time machine backup, then restoring from it is the easiest way actually to clear your doubts.
Sorry karan, I made my post and also started the re-install before I read your response. So it's a little late now

Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2017 at 18:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 9th October 2017, 10:40   #2132
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Final update - it's all good.

OK, I did the nuke & pave; or at least i thought I did. It has been so long since I did a nuke & pave that I forgot the nuke portion and just did the pave. That took a while; and my first inkling of something not right was when instead of asking me for location and user name it went straight to logging in as me. That means of course that I just wasted an hour or so. *sigh*

So, I started the whole process again, this time remembering to erase the start-up drive. The install went through in a decent amount of time, I created a user, ran the updates and everything. The machine now works as though it's brand new! No beachballs, no freezes, it's all 'teh snappy" now.

*phew* No need to visit the repair shop, no need to *shudder* spend many moneys to replace the logic board or RAM or HDD!

The sun is shining again, birds are singing again, butterflies are flitting about again

Cheers
Old 9th October 2017, 10:44   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
My Magsafe 2 went kaput in less than 2 years. Apple quoted 7800 for a new one, and a known dealer offered for 7200. I ended up picking up a magsafe replica from an Indian company called Artis, for 2400.
Try getting the old stock (pre-GST) which is priced at 6.4K

From where did you buy the Artis one? Is it functioning like original, meaning Amber light when charging and Green when done?
Old 9th October 2017, 13:05   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Try getting the old stock (pre-GST) which is priced at 6.4K

From where did you buy the Artis one? Is it functioning like original, meaning Amber light when charging and Green when done?

I got it from a store in Pune. Functions exactly like the original one, looks exactly the same too. Only difference is, no apple engraving on the sides(obviously), and artis branding at the bottom of the block.
Infact, i can use the duck plug and extension cable from the original charger with this. iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1507534490.816744.jpg
Ignore the green thing, it is just a cable shear protector
Old 11th October 2017, 10:18   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
I got it from a store in Pune. Functions exactly like the original one, looks exactly the same too. Only difference is, no apple engraving on the sides(obviously), and artis branding at the bottom of the block.
Glad it works like a original and lucky you got a aftermarket one.

Has anybody upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra. I tried yesterday with my Late 2011 MBP 13" and encountered this error "an error occurred while verifying firmware"

And I am also getting the "You can only read" permission while inserting the SD card in its slot. Its MS DOS Fat32 formatted and worked earlier.

Any tips?

Last edited by dre@ms : 11th October 2017 at 10:20.
Old 11th October 2017, 10:42   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Glad it works like a original and lucky you got a aftermarket one.

Has anybody upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra. I tried yesterday with my Late 2011 MBP 13" and encountered this error "an error occurred while verifying firmware"

And I am also getting the "You can only read" permission while inserting the SD card in its slot. Its MS DOS Fat32 formatted and worked earlier.

Any tips?

A ton of people have experienced the error while upgrading, specially the ones using spinning disks, fusion drives, or aftermarket SSDs. The installer is defective, attempting a switch to the AP File system, which is meant for SSDs only.
I managed to fix it for one device by booting into safe mode and resuming the installation, but may not work for all.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:31   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE*

Any tips?
I not only upgraded my 2010 17" MBPro6.1, but also re-installed once after that (for an unrelated issue) and also did a complete nuke & pave again (for the same unrelated issue) and I never faced any issues while doing any of those - went through absolutely smoothly with no errors.

And I have not tried SD cards, but I have tried external HDDs and they work fine, both read and write.

Cheers

Edited to add: Sorry, my externals were HFS, not FAT. So, I cannot answer that portion of your query.

Last edited by tilt : 11th October 2017 at 12:32. Reason: Mentioned in the post itself
Old 11th October 2017, 12:42   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
I managed to fix it for one device by booting into safe mode and resuming the installation, but may not work for all.
I have read about this solution everywhere and will try tonite and update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Edited to add: Sorry, my externals were HFS, not FAT. So, I cannot answer that portion of your query.
Lucky you.

My SD card issue is no way related to High Sierra. Sorry if my post looks like it.

To give more insight - Bought a 32GB SD card for my S7 Edge and formatted it through the phone and then used it in my Mac to copy stuff. It wasnt allowing me to copy. Formatted through Disk Utility with MS DOS Fat32 and was able to copy.

All done, when trying to replace/add few more files Mac doesnt allow. Under Get Info, I can see, "You can only read". Almost half of the capacity is filled and hence lazy to reformat.
Old 11th October 2017, 13:45   #2139
BANNED

Seems the 1TB drive I was using for Time Machine backups got corrupted around the 200GB mark. I have ordered another on Amazon and delivery is expected day after tomorrow.

Any instructions / advice about setting it up.

Now what is the latest about High Sierra? Not seen any update message till date.
Old 11th October 2017, 14:59   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Seems the 1TB drive I was using for Time Machine backups got corrupted around the 200GB mark. I have ordered another on Amazon and delivery is expected day after tomorrow.

Now what is the latest about High Sierra? Not seen any update message till date.
For installing High Sierra, you need to open app store and search High Sierra. Then download and install like apps.

Time Machine will ask automatically to format new disk which is not in required format.
Old 11th October 2017, 15:56   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

High sierra is more of a background update. Underlying performance improvements. The only visible change i think is the photos app, which now has editing tools. The changes are listed on the app store.
Old 12th October 2017, 13:13   #2142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
For installing High Sierra, you need to open app store and search High Sierra. Then download and install like apps.

Time Machine will ask automatically to format new disk which is not in required format.
Thanks. So High Sierra comes from the App Store and is not an automatic update. Any reason for that?

Also, once I get the new Disk (hopefully tomorrow) then I can leave it to Time Machine to take care of it. I will get the High Sierra once I have backed up the current installation.
Old 12th October 2017, 13:28   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
I went into Safe mode, triggered the installation and encountered the same error.
Reset PRAM and SMC, triggered the installation with same result. I am out of ideas now since using the stock HDD which is not an SSD.
Old 12th October 2017, 20:28   #2144
BHPian

Any help on the below is much appreciated.
Several attempts with my password got bounced, then upon looking closely the words made me suspicious. How to fix this?

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1507820325.093330.jpg
Old 13th October 2017, 08:20   #2145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Any help on the below is much appreciated.
Several attempts with my password got bounced, then upon looking closely the words made me suspicious. How to fix this?

Attachment 1685020
Don't put the password. Your suspicion might be right.
Yesterday, I read the news about this loop hole for app store password pop up on iPhone.
Here is the article: Newsweek

Try this for fix: igeeksblog

Last edited by Nicky : 13th October 2017 at 08:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks