Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2017, 16:40   #2011
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Anyone facing issues with Night Shift on MacBook Air? I have been facing an issue sometimes in the morning on waking up the Mac from sleep. The Night Shift refuses to turn off then. I have set it to function from sunset to sunrise but it doesn't do the transition sometime even multiple hours after sunrise. It is a bit of an irritant.
Old 24th April 2017, 17:03   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Anyone facing issues with Night Shift on MacBook Air? I have been facing an issue sometimes in the morning on waking up the Mac from sleep. The Night Shift refuses to turn off then. I have set it to function from sunset to sunrise but it doesn't do the transition sometime even multiple hours after sunrise. It is a bit of an irritant.

Ive mentioned this earlier, on the same thread : try using f.lux. I find it better than night shift thanks to the better personalisation available, and have faced absolutely no issues so far. Ive been using it on both mac os and windows since a while now.
Old 24th April 2017, 20:46   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
In your Date and Time preferences, is your Timezone setting pointing to the correct timezeone you are at ?
Check to see if that is right.
Old 25th April 2017, 00:18   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Ive mentioned this earlier, on the same thread : try using f.lux. I find it better than night shift thanks to the better personalisation available, and have faced absolutely no issues so far. Ive been using it on both mac os and windows since a while now.
Thank you for the suggestion. Will try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
In your Date and Time preferences, is your Timezone setting pointing to the correct timezeone you are at ?
Check to see if that is right.
The timezone is correct. I did check it the first time I faced the issue. Maybe it is a bug and should get sorted with the next update.
Old 25th April 2017, 08:26   #2015

Would like to share some of my experience with Apple products.
While I would not call myself a fanboy, I do stand impressed by the quality and finish of Apple devices.

iPod (Overall satisfaction: Very Happy)
  • Bought the 5th Generation iPod in 2015. 12 years later it’s sill working fine
  • Only noticeable change is in the ability of battery to hold charge for a long time. It now holds for 4-5 hours only.
  • I still syncs fine with the current versions of iTunes.
  • I’m not a big fan of iPod audio quality but the quality does not feel like it has deteriorated with time.
iMac (Overall satisfaction: Happy. VFM device)
  • Bought an iMac in 2010. 7 years later, it continues to be the main desktop computer in the house for anything important.
  • The CD drive gave away a few years back. I didn’t have much use for it so left it as is.
  • Keyboard failed for some keys a year back. I then switched over to a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard
iPad (Overall satisfaction: Very Happy)
  • Got this as a gift in 2012. Looks like new 5 years later
MacBook (Overall satisfaction: Cautiously Happy. Fingers crossed)
  • Bought the 13.3” 8GB MacBook Air from Amazon for 55K a few weeks ago. Works great now but remains to be seen how this will age.
  • I develop software on eclipse, netbeans and IntelliJ. All 3 work great on the MacBook.
  • I have a Win-10 desktop with 32G RAM and SSD Boot Disk. The MacBook in comparison is not even at a third of the brawn, but feels equally fast for most things and is much quieter.
  • Microsoft offers highly discounted price for MS Office trough their HUP program. Employees of several companies are automatically eligible. I was too, and installed Office on the MacBook for Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.

Here some nice things from my MacOS Experience
  • Backups. I find Time machine brilliant. Just attach a disk and forget about taking backups. While a somewhat similar feature is there in windows too, the Mac experience is far simpler.
  • Not prone to Virus issues. Have not used or felt the need to use Antivirus on the Mac
  • Good screen. The picture and video quality on my 7 year old Mac is still one of the best I have seen.
  • Good support for developers. Can run all my developer tools on the Mac smoothly.

And some things that could have been better
  • I have lost an Feature/App or two after an upgrade because Apple decided to not include it in the next version.
  • The native Mail app is a little sluggish if you have many email accounts. Across all members of the family I have 12 email accounts. So we use Thunderbird instead which works better.
  • Connecting an Android device to the Mac was not a straightforward experience for me. Windows fared better here.
Old 9th May 2017, 14:45   #2016
BHPian

Help! Video card in iMac went phut!

Hello guys:

I have a 27" iMac which i had bought in 2011. Runs on Sierra o/s. Three days back, it suddenly went belly up and only grey pin stripes are seen on the screen followed by an endless boot loop. Tried the stuff the pundits advised but nothing worked. Called the local Apple service center and described the problem. They opined that it seemed to be a video card failure ( after checking my serial number) and that it would cost me Rs 44000 to replace. Wow! About half the cost that i paid for the Mac! Called Apple support for help and they advised to take it to a service center and get a diagnostics done. Did it and the result was 'Video failure'.

Understand that Apple had a (free) replacement program for such failures as they were common in 27" IMacs built during 2011- my serial number confirms that it would have been eligible for a free replacement. Unfortunately it seems that the free support ended 31st March 2017. Just 36 days before my Mac went phut.

If Apple knew that there was a history of failure of this component with this particular model and year of manufacture, they could have at least informed their customers so that we could have replaced the card or at least backed up our data. I am stuck now.

Apple support, while being very understanding and sympathetic (at least one of the agents) has said that they are unable to do anything. I asked to speak with a supervisor and the agent put me on hold, and then said that the supervisor echos the same answer. I thought that at least we have a right* to escalate the matter or speak to the supervisor?

The offending part is Graphics AMD Radeon 6970M, 1GB. Any ideas?

Edit*:- Not exactly a 'right'. What i meant is that good corporates would want that their customer's request (for speaking with a supervisor) is attended to.

Last edited by earthian : 9th May 2017 at 14:46.
Old 9th May 2017, 15:05   #2017
BANNED

Re: Help! Video card in iMac went phut!

That's the first thing that popped into my mind, that apple had a replacement programme for some iMac models with GPU issues, thought it would be a easy fix then. It just seems unfortunate that the window for that just ran out.

I hope apple can do this fix, as an exception. They're known to do such good stuff for customers. If nothing else turns up, i'd suggest looking for the part used at ebay or another site like that. Shouldn't be more than 10k in the used market.
Old 9th May 2017, 15:06   #2018
BHPian

I looked at this site: https://www.ifixit.com/Story/19327/i...._by_baking%21

And it looks like the card is MXM (the size which is usually found in laptops). If you don't want to spend that much money, is it possible for you to visit any laptop repair shops and ask them for same card? I believe it should work, not 100% sure though
Old 9th May 2017, 15:25   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I hope apple can do this fix, as an exception. They're known to do such good stuff for customers.
I was talking to a sympathetic technical support guy and while he felt that something would be done, today the new agent was not so sympathetic and said Nothing could be done. Surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
...s it possible for you to visit any laptop repair shops and ask them for same card? I believe it should work, not 100% sure though
Thank you. Shall check this out.
Old 10th May 2017, 18:05   #2020
BHPian

Hii guys need need your advice
After days of research zeroed in on a good deal for the early 2015 Macbook Pro
This is the only device pending to complete my apple ecosystem.
My only question is will 128 gb be enough
How much do all the apps and word etc take
The 256 GB is unavailable anywhere and 512 is way too expensive.
I have also seen the jet drive light for transcend which I intend to use for pictures / videos etc (128GB) capacity.
Awaiting your advice earnestly.
Old 10th May 2017, 18:28   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
The 256 GB is unavailable anywhere and 512 is way too expensive.
I have also seen the jet drive light for transcend which I intend to use for pictures / videos etc (128GB) capacity.
Awaiting your advice earnestly.

Again depends on your kind of usage , if you are planning download lot of movies 128Gb is not enough . OS and other stuffs easily take around 40GB and my guess is that recent Macbooks with 128GB SSD cannot be upgraded because they are soldered .

If your usage is just watching online movies , browsing and little bit MS Office 128Gb should be enough . What is the price for 128gb and 256gb and what is RAM memory (is it 4gb or 8gb ?)
Old 10th May 2017, 18:29   #2022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a MacBook Air 128gb last week, got a terrific deal on flipkart, I've a subscription to Office365 and after installing it and Xcode there is nearly 100GB left. Office365 takes up around 10GB.

The premium on additional memory isn't worth it. Buy a secondary hdd, and back up the really large files.

Last edited by avira_tk : 10th May 2017 at 18:30. Reason: Size of application pack
Old 10th May 2017, 19:09   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Again depends on your kind of usage , if you are planning download lot of movies 128Gb is not enough . OS and other stuffs easily take around 40GB and my guess is that recent Macbooks with 128GB SSD cannot be upgraded because they are soldered .

If your usage is just watching online movies , browsing and little bit MS Office 128Gb should be enough . What is the price for 128gb and 256gb and what is RAM memory (is it 4gb or 8gb ?)
hii thanks for the information,
I plan to keep an external HD for all the downloaded movies and i don't have an issue of connecting it every time while watching,if 40 GB is what OS , apps and other stuff(Office) takes, i still have about 80GB to play around with which i think is fine!
128Gb Macbook Pro is with force touch trackpad, Retina Display and 8 GB RAM for about 92,000/-
The same config with 512 Gb is 138,000/-
256 GB is currently unavailable
please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I bought a MacBook Air 128gb last week, got a terrific deal on flipkart, I've a subscription to Office365 and after installing it and Xcode there is nearly 100GB left. Office365 takes up around 10GB.

The premium on additional memory isn't worth it. Buy a secondary hdd, and back up the really large files.
Hii Avira firstly many congratulations on your new macbook!Im waiting to get mine soon as well and will share the details then.
Can you share deal details and link (flipkart) if any
Please read my reply above to csnanjappa above and kindly advice!
A noob question but something which has me wondering is, whether we need an antivirus software for the MAC when transferring files from other's computers (PC's)
Thanks guys !
Old 10th May 2017, 20:45   #2024
BHPian

Quote:
hii thanks for the information,

I plan to keep an external HD for all the downloaded movies and i don't have an issue of connecting it every time while watching,if 40 GB is what OS , apps and other stuff(Office) takes, i still have about 80GB to play around with which i think is fine!

128Gb Macbook Pro is with force touch trackpad, Retina Display and 8 GB RAM for about 92,000/-

The same config with 512 Gb is 138,000/-

256 GB is currently unavailable

please advise

!

Have a look at the transcend jetdrive, and tardisk. These are products which extend the memory using the SD card port.
Normal SD cards would stick out halfway, these products are designed specifically to sit flush in the SD card port.
It is not as fast as an SSD, but definitely does the job for file storage.

Speaking about using space, i have 110gb free in my 256gb mbp.
I have the entire iwork suite, multiple development IDEs, a windows 10 virtual machine in VMWare (consuming almost 25GB), 10GB of music and photos, a few tv shows, and approx 20GB of games on steam.
My point being, it is manageable if you are stingy enough. Otherwise, get a 64/128gb expansion disk for files you carry around all the time, and an external HDD for the rest.
Old 11th May 2017, 10:15   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hii Avira firstly many congratulations on your new macbook!Im waiting to get mine soon as well and will share the details then.
Can you share deal details and link (flipkart) if any
Please read my reply above to csnanjappa above and kindly advice!
A noob question but something which has me wondering is, whether we need an antivirus software for the MAC when transferring files from other's computers (PC's)
Thanks guys !
Thanks, I got the deal while browsing through the flipkart offers during their sale, they offered 10k for the old hp dv6000, bringing the price down to 46, plus 1k off on my credit card. Amazon today, has something similar but not that high a discount.

Media content can be stored externally, you can get about 10TB of storage for the premium apple is charging, or even cloud storage if you want anytime access.

I have a mac mini, bought in December 2015, and don't use any anti virus on that and the macbook air. I didn't transfer the old files though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks