Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:36   #2041
BANNED

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

I will try and reproduce the bomb out.

I do not see the Downloads folder in the Dock. How to get it back?
Old 23rd May 2017, 15:10   #2042
BHPian

@sgiitk, please post the exact error message, we shall use our google-fu and see if we can find a solution

Re. your downloads folder, open Finder, go to Finder Preferences, click on the "Sidebar" icon, and see if "Downloads" is checked or not. If not, check it on.

If you mean you're unable to see the Downloads folder in your Dock, then open Finder, and drag the Downloads folder onto the Dock.

Cheers
Old 24th May 2017, 10:19   #2043
BANNED

@tilt; Do not see any Finder Preferences. So I am still not fully set in.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:03   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@tilt; Do not see any Finder Preferences. So I am still not fully set in.
I have taken a couple of screenshots to show you how it's to be done. Let me try and upload those screenshots here FYI.

You will see in the second screenshot all the items I want to see in my sidebar.

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by tilt : 24th May 2017 at 12:03. Reason: Added a comment
Old 24th May 2017, 17:06   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Slightly off track

What I need to do is to change the font size on my mails, since it is coming out too small. How?
You can go to Thunderbird > preferences > composition. In the HTML section, you can set the font size.
Old 25th May 2017, 10:31   #2046
BANNED

@tilt; Bingo it is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
You can go to Thunderbird > preferences > composition. In the HTML section, you can set the font size.
Thanks. It worked. I had almost given up. I changed the fort from Tiny to Medium.

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th May 2017 at 10:34.
Old 25th May 2017, 19:48   #2047
BHPian

Hii folks almost two weeks now with the MAC OS system and im absoluterly in love with it. A few doubts though
1) Will i have to buy word for Mac since i dont use the other office applications and would avoid buying since its only for personal use.
2) Have been struggling to make best use of the 128GB SSD wherein have bought an external JetDrive to store music and pics. However like in the PC the drive for transfer of iphone photos donsent show up on the MAC ( AM I doing something wrong)
3) Can i take my iphone back up on an external drive same one where time machine has been configured.
Will appreciate any help from you folks.
Old 25th May 2017, 20:05   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hii folks almost two weeks now with the MAC OS system and im absoluterly in love with it. A few doubts though
1) Will i have to buy word for Mac since i dont use the other office applications and would avoid buying since its only for personal use.
2) Have been struggling to make best use of the 128GB SSD wherein have bought an external JetDrive to store music and pics. However like in the PC the drive for transfer of iphone photos donsent show up on the MAC ( AM I doing something wrong)
3) Can i take my iphone back up on an external drive same one where time machine has been configured.
Will appreciate any help from you folks.

1)The iphone photos will open in the mac os photos app.
You can choose to back them up,or export the photos to an external drive.
2)Word is unfortunately not available as a standalone purchase: you will have to buy the cheapest office suite, personal, which costs about 3,600 a year.
Unless MS Word is a compulsory requirement, try using Pages, or download the libre office suite.
Old 25th May 2017, 20:28   #2049
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unless you really want to use Word as an Editor on your Mac, you don't need it

Your Mac will have Pages pre-installed and this is good enough. You can create your documents using it and then Export (Save As) the document to MS-Word format.

Last edited by NPV : 25th May 2017 at 20:31.
Old 25th May 2017, 20:32   #2050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Download Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel), Keynote (PowerPoint), iMovie and GarageBand.

The first three take care of your Office requirements and the other two are good for multimedia. All these are free; when you install them, you will see a price for it on the App Store; don't worry, go ahead and put in your iTunes password. You'll get a prompt saying the app is free for you.
Old 25th May 2017, 20:38   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
1)The iphone photos will open in the mac os photos app.
You can choose to back them up,or export the photos to an external drive.
2)Word is unfortunately not available as a standalone purchase: you will have to buy the cheapest office suite, personal, which costs about 3,600 a year.
Unless MS Word is a compulsory requirement, try using Pages, or download the libre office suite.
thats helpful thanks will try the iphone on the photos app

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Unless you really want to use Word as an Editor on your Mac, you don't need it

Your Mac will have Pages pre-installed and this is good enough. You can create your documents using it and then Export (Save As) the document to MS-Word format.
guys i need to edit docs on the mac and all files i have are in word. I understand the pages app is almost similar but can it be a replacement for Word is my worry also im very comfortable using word which i was also using on my iphone and ipad (its free there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Download Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel), Keynote (PowerPoint), iMovie and GarageBand.

The first three take care of your Office requirements and the other two are good for multimedia. All these are free; when you install them, you will see a price for it on the App Store; don't worry, go ahead and put in your iTunes password. You'll get a prompt saying the app is free for you.
I have all of the above already preinstalled i just had to update the apps on getting the laptop. Thanks!
Old 25th May 2017, 20:42   #2052
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
guys i need to edit docs on the mac and all files i have are in word. I understand the pages app is almost similar but can it be a replacement for Word is my worry also im very comfortable using word which i was also using on my iphone and ipad (its free there)
It's easy to use and understands MS-Word documents as well so it can be easily imported and edited, and then exported back to MS-Word format.
Old 26th May 2017, 03:03   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
Hii folks almost two weeks now with the MAC OS system and I'm absolutely in love with it.
A few doubts though :
1) Will I have to buy word for Mac since I don't use the other office applications & would avoid buying since its only for personal use.
2) Have been struggling to make best use of the 128 GB SSD wherein have bought an external JetDrive to store music & pics.
If you get an Apple, you have to live with the worms, life in the gilded cage isn't exactly rosy ( granted, the cage looks spectacular ).
It's a pity that even after spending $ 1,300, you only get 128 GB on a laptop ( no points for guessing how many 4K movies you can store on that ).
If your documents & spreadsheets are basic & don't use any fancy formatting or formulas, you can try living with 'Pages' & 'Numbers'.
Quote:
Guys I need to edit docs on the mac & all files I have are in word.
I understand the 'Pages' app is almost similar but can it be a replacement for Word is my worry also I'm very comfortable using word, which I was also using on my iphone & ipad ( its free there ).
Like you've said, 'Pages' is like 'Word', if you're an Office power-user, you'll feel severely constrained by the so-called Office "equivalents" from Apple.
After with 'Pages' & 'Numbers' for a few months, I just caved & got myself Office-2016 for the Mac.
There are still a few shortcomings though, so even today, if I need to bang out a professional report in a short period of time, I dust off my ancient Dell-5010 running Win-10 & Office 2016
~

Last edited by im_srini : 26th May 2017 at 03:04.
Old 26th May 2017, 10:52   #2054
BANNED

Now another query. This time about Chrome Browser

I am unable to remove a bookmark. Seems to be a common issue on the Mac. Never faced this on the PC!
Old 26th May 2017, 10:59   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's easy to use and understands MS-Word documents as well so it can be easily imported and edited, and then exported back to MS-Word format.
Noted thanks so much NPV will try to use the apple equivalent apps hoping for a satisfactory experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
If you get an Apple, you have to live with the worms, life in the gilded cage isn't exactly rosy ( granted, the cage looks spectacular ).
It's a pity that even after spending $ 1,300, you only get 128 GB on a laptop ( no points for guessing how many 4K movies you can store on that ).
If your documents & spreadsheets are basic & don't use any fancy formatting or formulas, you can try living with 'Pages' & 'Numbers'.

Like you've said, 'Pages' is like 'Word', if you're an Office power-user, you'll feel severely constrained by the so-called Office "equivalents" from Apple.
After with 'Pages' & 'Numbers' for a few months, I just caved & got myself Office-2016 for the Mac.
There are still a few shortcomings though, so even today, if I need to bang out a professional report in a short period of time, I dust off my ancient Dell-5010 running Win-10 & Office 2016
~
I totally agree with some of your points above but have invested knowingly in the ecosystem and hence cant really complain too much. Will probably make do with the equivalent apps and hopefully will not need to get the Office 2016 like you did .
The achilles heel here is definitely the very very limited SSD drive space and I totally agree with you there regards its price to value proposition.
After a 1TB Hd on my Windows laptop this seems really tiny but im trying to work around it by using external drives and the likes.
The next challenge is to take a backup of my iphone through itunes on an external drive which by my research seems very complicated , unless someone here has an easier way of doing it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks