Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2017, 10:21   #1996
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Oh Oh did not know that, now what? Have already ordered.

I was thinking of using the same to run Windows.

I believe bootcamp is to properly run windows but within Mac itself there is some option to run basic features of windows? Read that somewhere.
You can always install Oracle Virtualbox and install Windows on it.
Basically running windows out of a VM.

Pros
- Oracle Virtualbox is free
- You can run Mac OS and Windows in parallel and even switch between them
- You can share the clipboard between Win and Mac
- You can share folders between the 2 OS's from where you can copy and paste files across the OS.

Cons
- If you do not have sufficient RAM it will be slow

With sufficient RAM and an SSD would not notice much of a difference. Windows 10 takes an avg boot time of 20 seconds via the VM.

It always helps to install a VM for a Linux destro and one for Win (only if you really need it , because you are paying for the Win 10 OS)
There are those occasions when you need to do something and a great free utility is available only on Linux. Thats when the VM comes in handy.
I have Ubuntu and Win 10 on 2 VM's.

Last edited by Fillmore : 13th April 2017 at 10:29.
Old 13th April 2017, 12:56   #1997
BHPian

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I have a 2012 MacBook Air 13" which has been doing its duty faithfully since 4.5 years now.

The battery has now started packing up. It's been showing service battery since a while and now I get barely 3 hrs of use out of a cycle, compared to an easy 8 hours earlier.

Asked around Apple stores for replacement cost, and got a figure of around 11.5k Rs.

I was hoping to get an option like this but unable to find in India:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Replace...ct_top?ie=UTF8

But am also skeptical given the criticality of the part and negative reviews from some have put me off.

Apart from the battery, the Air works like a dream and am still aiming to get at least 3 more years of use out of it.
Old 13th April 2017, 13:34   #1998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
has been doing its duty faithfully since 4.5 years now.
Quote:
the Air works like a dream and am still aiming to get at least 3 more years of use out of it.
If the original has lasted 4 years and you plan to use for another 3 years, why should you bother about getting this replaced from outside? Even if you save 4-5 K there are little chances that you will get of same Quality. I doubt Apple OEM suppliers sell in retail market.
Old 18th April 2017, 21:28   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Thats the reason last year I went for the basic Mac Book Pro old model
You can customize it like no other without breaking any Warranty + it has the max# of ports.

Plonked in a 500 gb SSD drive + 16gb RAM

After the RAM + SSD swap the performance boost is + 100%
I could see this when using iMovie after editing a huge video file when you do an Export, + during edits the smoothness in operations.

Dont get suckered into new pricy products just for the heck of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
I agree with you on the upgrade route. I too have the same MBP and have upgrade the RAM to 16GB and replaced the hdd with ssd.

As far as the screen is concerned, you can use Retina Display Menu (RDM). It allows you to scale the resolution to values not supported by the native display.

I am currently running the MBP 2012 at 1920x1080 using RDM
Can anyone of you let me know how much was the cost of upgrading the RAM to 16 GB and adding an SSD in the place of DVD drive? Also, is there any reliable place in Bangalore where I can get this upgrade done, as I am not confident enough to do it myself.

I am seriously considering this one.
Old 18th April 2017, 21:51   #2000
Team-BHP Support

SSD in India would be about 15k for 500 GB SSD samsung, RAM would be 8-10k depending on make. I would suggest 8GB and 256 SSD (since you would be retaining HDD that can be used for storage), which would be almost half the cost. I am running this and very happy with it.

If you get it from US you might from some good discounts on the above.

With regards to fixing it, find a independent Mac repair shops they should be able to do it easily.
Old 18th April 2017, 22:05   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
SSD in India would be about 15k for 500 GB SSD samsung, RAM would be 8-10k depending on make. I would suggest 8GB and 256 SSD (since you would be retaining HDD that can be used for storage), which would be almost half the cost. I am running this and very happy with it.

If you get it from US you might from some good discounts on the above.

With regards to fixing it, find a independent Mac repair shops they should be able to do it easily.
Thanks Jaggu for the prompt reply. Yes, I am also inclined towards an 8 GB RAM and 250 GB SSD, as I want the OS to boot from the SSD, and for all storage purpose, I can use that 500 GB HDD.

Just one more question, I know that the Retina model is a bit slimmer than the one which we are talking about now. But is that too much of a difference between both to be bothered about.
Old 18th April 2017, 22:59   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Thanks Jaggu for the prompt reply. Yes, I am also inclined towards an 8 GB RAM and 250 GB SSD, as I want the OS to boot from the SSD, and for all storage purpose, I can use that 500 GB HDD.

Just one more question, I know that the Retina model is a bit slimmer than the one which we are talking about now. But is that too much of a difference between both to be bothered about.

The difference is pretty huge. To put into perspective, my 2015 retina 15 inch is lighter than the old pro being spoken about, and the new models are even more slimmer and lighter.
Id suggest going into a store and checking them out yourself, before taking a decision.
Id honestly not be comfortable buying a 3rd generation i5 processor, and a 1280x800 display, considering your upgrades which will push the final landing cost to atleast 75k INR
Old 19th April 2017, 00:03   #2003
BHPian

Quote:

You can visit the store and check the difference in the display.
However dont go by the speed of the old model in the store.

Note: if you plan to connect the old 500 GB HDD in place of the CD tray, this mod will void your warranty, just swapping disks does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
The difference is pretty huge. To put into perspective, my 2015 retina 15 inch is lighter than the old pro being spoken about, and the new models are even more slimmer and lighter.
Id suggest going into a store and checking them out yourself, before taking a decision.
Id honestly not be comfortable buying a 3rd generation i5 processor, and a 1280x800 display, considering your upgrades which will push the final landing cost to atleast 75k INR
How much did your 2015 15 inch cost ? and what is the configuration ?
Old 19th April 2017, 01:02   #2004
BHPian

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
How much did your 2015 15 inch cost ? and what is the configuration ?

I have the MJLQ2HNA. Bought it for INR 1.4l back in december 2015. Added on applecare extended warranty later for 19k, giving me a total 3 years of warranty.
The specs are:
15 inch retina display @ 2880x1800
16GB RAM
Quad Core i7 @ 2.2Ghz
Intel Iris Pro 5200 graphics
256GB PCIE SSD (Read speeds at 2GB/s throughput)
Weight approx 2KG
Force Touch Trackpad
6-8 hour battery life.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:55   #2005
BANNED

Quote:
You can always install Oracle Virtualbox and install Windows on it.
Basically running windows out of a VM.

Pros
- Oracle Virtualbox is free
- You can run Mac OS and Windows in parallel and even switch between them
- You can share the clipboard between Win and Mac
- You can share folders between the 2 OS's from where you can copy and paste files across the OS.

Cons
- If you do not have sufficient RAM it will be slow
I was advised that Parallels though not free is an excellent VM. It is however not free.

How tough was it to install Oracle Virtualbox?
What version of Windows are you running.

I am finding my Windows PC (an Ideapad) a bit of a pain. I use the PC primarily as a platform for Win specific software and for running Tally (NA on Mac though can be kludged).

Also, a query - I have used ccleaner (the first c actually stands for cr@p) from Piriform on Win systems and really like it. I hear it is also available on the mac. Any reports?
Old 19th April 2017, 09:59   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was advised that Parallels though not free is an excellent VM. It is however not free.

I am finding my Windows PC (an Ideapad) a bit of a pain. I use the PC primarily as a platform for Win specific software and for running Tally (NA on Mac though can be kludged).

Also, a query - I have used ccleaner (the first c actually stands for cr@p) from Piriform on Win systems and really like it. I hear it is also available on the mac. Any reports?

Installing Virtualbox is not a task at all. Simple application install, then setup a virtual machine and install windows onto it using a windows installation iso.
Old 19th April 2017, 14:17   #2007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Installing Virtualbox is not a task at all. Simple application install, then setup a virtual machine and install windows onto it using a windows installation iso.
You are giving me hope, that I should be able to manage it. Also, as per part of the post the Win ISO image can be moved across using the cut and paste function across platforms.
Old 19th April 2017, 14:32   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
You are giving me hope, that I should be able to manage it. Also, as per part of the post the Win ISO image can be moved across using the cut and paste function across platforms.

Im not sure I understand what you mean.
You need a windows iso accessible (but not opened) via mac os. Install and fire up virtualbox, setup a new virtual machine. It will ask you to select the amount of resources you want to make available.
Incase the VM setup does not ask you to point to an iso file, look for an option like startup disk/boot disk and point it to the windows iso.
Virtual System will boot up with windows installation, just follow steps and install.
Im presuming you are affiliated with IIT-K seeing your handle: you should be eligible for a free windows license through the microsoft imagine(dreamspark) academic programme.

I am using VMware fusion for the same task, and it works amazingly. I can even use windows apps in parallel with mac apps, as though they are running on the same platform.
Old 19th April 2017, 16:50   #2009
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Size and weight wise there is substantial difference that you can feel in hand. But with the above mods performance wise it is marginal, may not be even perceivable.

I suggest upgrade for people who already have a MBP and want to spruce it up for couple of years. If buying new then the call will be based on how much money you can spent. Personally i feel new ones are obnoxiously priced and apple has totally lost the customer perspective. I was eagerly waiting for an upgrade but when i saw the announcement, i realized it was a huge disappointment Price Vs what it offered.
Old 19th April 2017, 20:47   #2010
BHPian

Quote:

Its pretty easy to install, overall you should not run into issues.
You can follow this Youtube tutorial, the guy has done a decent job explaining how to install.
Virtualbox tutorial

ps: Also google on how to install Guest Additions within the Virtual box , this will let you go full screen and has optimizers for better performance and usability.
ref : https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E36500_01...additions.html

I am running Windows 10
You will need an ISO file of the Windows 10 Installable.

Assuming you have a license key for Windows. Depending on the ver for which you have the license you can download the installable ISO for free from Microsoft for whatever variant you want.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/soft...d/windows10ISO

If you do not have a license key and wish to get one, you can purchase one online.
I picked up one from a person who offered it quite cheap online, and it works fine.
Message me if you want that contact.

Quote:

I have never used ccleaner so cant comment on that.
Actually my current ver of Windows does not have any virus s/w installed.

Earlier I used to use the free home ver of Avira. It is free.

btw on the previous point, if you just want to test Virtualbox you can try installing any Linux destro.
Linux Mint is close to windows
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

xubunto is a light weight destro , pretty neat
https://xubuntu.org/

Just play around with them and junk them out when done

We seem to be hijacking the Mac thread and going off topic with all these discussions, Core apple fans might soon delete these posts

Last edited by Fillmore : 19th April 2017 at 20:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks