Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 10:39   #2146
Team-BHP Support

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Several attempts with my password got bounced, then upon looking closely the words made me suspicious. How to fix this?
Just google the errors, you will need to delete some files, I have been through, just don't recollect how did I came out but google helped. It's not a virus surely.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:46   #2147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks. So High Sierra comes from the App Store and is not an automatic update. Any reason for that?

Also, once I get the new Disk (hopefully tomorrow) then I can leave it to Time Machine to take care of it. I will get the High Sierra once I have backed up the current installation.
SG, I too never saw the update - I too downloaded it from the App Store and installed. No idea why, because a few people I know had gotten the update notification; and a few did not. Guess it's a case of YMMV, though that's highly un-Apple-like!

Re. your borked external drive, do try a "Repair" from Disk Utility. Though you may not get the entire 1 TB back, you might regain some usable space, at least to use as a temporary external for some occasional needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I went into Safe mode, triggered the installation and encountered the same error.
Reset PRAM and SMC, triggered the installation with same result. I am out of ideas now since using the stock HDD which is not an SSD.
dre@ms, I am afraid I do not have a solution for you - I just posted to mention to you that my 2010 MBPro too has only a hard drive and not an SSD.

Sorry, I forgot what you mentioned in earlier posts, but have you tried to do a proper nuke & pave like I did? As a last resort maybe you could try that?

Edited to add: OK, I just went back and read what issue you had. So, I am sure you tried launching app store and check if there was indeed a firmware update for your Mac. What happened then?

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 13th October 2017 at 11:48. Reason: Mentioned in the post itself.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:54   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
have you tried to do a proper nuke & pave like I did? As a last resort maybe you could try that?

Edited to add: OK, I just went back and read what issue you had. So, I am sure you tried launching app store and check if there was indeed a firmware update for your Mac. What happened then?

Cheers
Thanks, how do I do this nuke and pave? I have a 250GB external HDD lying around but do not want the pain of reinstalling all apps.
Appstore doesnt say if there is a firmware update available. But when checked in Apple site and cross referenced the firmware available and the one in my Mac, i presume i have the latest one.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:04   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Any help on the below is much appreciated.
Several attempts with my password got bounced, then upon looking closely the words made me suspicious. How to fix this?

Attachment 1685020
I googled and found this - copy-pasted below. Could this be your issue maybe?

What is sharingd?

sharingd is sharing daemon that enables AirDrop, Handoff, Instant Hotspot, Shared Computers, and Remote Disc in the Finder.

How to solve asking for password problem?

I think the login password and the keychain are not the same. That's why you get those messages. You want your default keychain to be unlocked automatically when you log in. Synchronise your Keychain Access and account login passwords by doing this:
  • Open Keychain Access (you can get to it by choosing Utilities from the Go menu in the Finder).
  • From the Edit menu, choose Change Password for Keychain "login."
  • Type the former password of the account that you are currently logged in to, then click OK.
  • If you entered the correct password, a new window appears; enter the original password again in the Current Password field.
  • In the New Password field, type the password that matches your current account password.
  • Re-enter the newer password in the Verify field, then click OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Thanks, how do I do this nuke and pave? I have a 250GB external HDD lying around but do not want the pain of reinstalling all apps.
Appstore doesnt say if there is a firmware update available. But when checked in Apple site and cross referenced the firmware available and the one in my Mac, i presume i have the latest one.
OK, re. firmware I am afraid I am unable to find any usable info anywhere :(

Re. nuke & pave, that's just my way of saying "do a clean install". Here are two sites that provide step by step instructions. Remember to also follow the links in these pages to learn how to use Terminal to create a bootable install drive on an external.

https://www.imore.com/how-do-clean-install-macos

http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/02/clean...s-high-sierra/

I am afraid if you do a clean install it's advisable to install your apps all over again from scratch. That way you're sure that there is no crud carried over from your old environment. Yes it is painful and takes a while to get the system set up just right, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Cheers and good luck.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th October 2017 at 12:57. Reason: B2B post. Learn to use multi-quote.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:29   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Re. nuke & pave, that's just my way of saying "do a clean install". Here are two sites that provide step by step instructions. Remember to also follow the links in these pages to learn how to use Terminal to create a bootable install drive on an external.

I am afraid if you do a clean install it's advisable to install your apps all over again from scratch. That way you're sure that there is no crud carried over from your old environment. Yes it is painful and takes a while to get the system set up just right, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Cheers and good luck.
Thanks mate. Will try it by referencing the links.

Hope my weekend has gone for a toss
Old 13th October 2017, 13:04   #2151
BHPian

Sold off my Macbook Air 11 (no major issues with functionality but ).
As my budget and usage is not so much, I just went ahead and bought Macbook Air 13 256gb 2017 model.
Final price 57.5 (after 14k flat off + 5% credit card off) from paytm.

Major differences in comparison to my Macbook Air 11:
1. Bigger screen (Not required. I was happy and prefer 11 inch but it's only option with my budget)
2. 1.8Ghz processor instead of 1.3
3. 256gb storage instead of 128gb
4. 8gb RAM instead of 4gb

Tried comparison with windows laptops from different OEMs in same price range but couldn't convince myself.
Waiting for delivery.

Last edited by Nicky : 13th October 2017 at 13:05.
Old 13th October 2017, 16:22   #2152
BANNED

I got my new 1TB Seagate and as suggested by @nicky Time Machine took care of the formatting. In fact i was surprised to find this mentioned in the leaflet also.

Also, any known cons of High Sierra. I have it sitting in my Mac, ready to shoot.
Old 15th October 2017, 17:16   #2153
BANNED

I am ready to go to High Sierra, but need some feedback from those who have done it.

From the Web it appears that High Sierra may be the half way house to MacOs 11 and is a preview and trial balloon. Apple have a habit of naming two versions with a qualifier in the second.

So folk Yes or No!
Old 15th October 2017, 18:34   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
I am ready to go to High Sierra, but need some feedback from those who have done it.

From the Web it appears that High Sierra may be the half way house to MacOs 11 and is a preview and trial balloon. Apple have a habit of naming two versions with a qualifier in the second.

So folk Yes or No!
Haven't noticed any difference at all after upgrading to High Sierra. I would say go ahead and upgrade.
Old 16th October 2017, 09:13   #2155
BANNED

Thanks. Right now my let connection has gone dodgy so am on the hot spot waiting for stabilization of main connection.
Old 16th October 2017, 10:17   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Don't put the password. Your suspicion might be right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Just google the errors, you will need to delete some files.
Quote:
I googled and found this - copy-pasted below. Could this be your issue maybe?
Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, it was NOT a virus but a password sync issue between by keychain and apple ID. Tried all my previous password for key chain one among them worked

But definitely those word on my screen made me suspicious.

Cheers!
Old 16th October 2017, 10:34   #2157
BHPian

Quote:

So folk Yes or No!

I just found one bug. Airdrop is broken.
My iPhone on ios11 can't detect high Sierra Macbook air.
Old 16th October 2017, 10:43   #2158
BANNED

@Nicky: I tried and did not go far. I started installation. Hut, I have some issue with iCloud. I am not using it, but it wants my google password and then hangs. So I am stuck, had to force close my system. My net is still not on, but tried using the Tethering.

Now I may hold on.
Old 16th October 2017, 12:31   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
@Nicky: I tried and did not go far. I started installation. Hut, I have some issue with iCloud. I am not using it, but it wants my google password and then hangs. So I am stuck, had to force close my system. My net is still not on, but tried using the Tethering.

Now I may hold on.
Try downloading when your connection gets restored.

Re. iCloud password, there should be an option during installation to skip this step and set it up later. Try that and see if it helps.

Airdrop works for me - my iPhone 5 (running iOS 10, not compatible with 11) shows my iMac in Airdrop.

Cheers
Old 16th October 2017, 12:42   #2160
BANNED

@tilt; I had downloaded about three days ago. There is no option about iCloud during installation and otherwise. So I am stuck. Also, my Chrome is corrupted / infected with something, which keeps on opening additional sessions, and also blanking out some pages after a moment. How do I fix it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks