Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2017, 12:24   #2206
Senior - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

After a long time, finally got my hands on the MacBook Pro 13" with the Retina display. My friend from UK got it in his store and an uncle carried it to India. It is a refurbished unit with full warranty and the power cable looks a bit dirty, but should last a while. Gets proper ports and not the usb C ones. I got it for a steal price.

Specs: It has the 500 gb ssd option.
Name:  Screen Shot 20171213 at 12.11.41 PM.png
Views: 758
Size:  44.8 KB

One more query. The battery cycle count shows 303 odd. The battery is rated for 1000 cycles (before the performance reduces), but do you recommend keeping the power plugged in when possible eg. at home or office? Not that I'm much concerned over the life as I have seen laptops with over 1000-1200 cycles with no issues.
Name:  Screen Shot 20171213 at 12.11.15 PM.png
Views: 776
Size:  85.7 KB

SSD speeds are phenomenal:
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20171213-12.21.39-pm.png

I am surprised at the battery life. Easily lasts 10+ hrs on moderate load with screen on throughout. I have an 2011 21.5" iMac at home that was getting a bit slow for image/video processing hence the purchase decision. Any users who have used factory refurbished units?

The only downer that I can think of is the UK style layout, but have got used to it in the last 2-3 days.

Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 12:52   #2207
Senior - BHPian

I finally got around to upgrading my mac mini, replacing the slow 5400rpm HDD with a Crucial MX300 525GB SSD. The tools from ifixit were brought over by a cousin returning from the US, the speed has improved and I don't see the coloured wheel anymore.

A recommended upgrade for anyone using a mini with HDD.
Old 16th December 2017, 14:00   #2208
Team-BHP Support

Is Apple Music working properly on iTunes?

I've been having some issue: no matter what playlist or song I select, it starts skipping to the next song endlessly. Say, I open a playlist, House music and click on the first song. It keep skipping to the next and this just keep going on.

It is working find on my iPhone though (same Apple ID).
Old 16th December 2017, 15:07   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry about battery cycles, just ensure it doesnt get too hot to the touch. Mine is plugged in all the time. MBP battery is built to last. In fact your 303 is fresh, must have been replaced recently. Mine lasted 8plus years and since heat was catching up got it replaced by Genius Bar, it was still holding charge. I also bought the latest MBP and USB C is blazing fast. Tiny adaptors are non cumbersome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The battery cycle count shows 303 odd.
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-img_0938.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2018, 18:41   #2210

Hi Bhpians,

I am a newbie in the world of Mac and have a Mac Mini (Late 2012). Recently I had updated the OS to the latest High Sierra and post that the system doesn't boot. It is stuck at the logo and the progress bar at 100%. This seems to be a common problem (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8158292). However, the common solution seems to be restoring from a time machine backup which I don't have.

Is there any workaround? Has anyone faced the same/similar issue?

Thanks.

Last edited by AmazinSam : 2nd January 2018 at 18:44. Reason: Wrong URL
Old 2nd January 2018, 22:21   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinSam View Post
Hi Bhpians,

I am a newbie in the world of Mac and have a Mac Mini (Late 2012). Recently I had updated the OS to the latest High Sierra and post that the system doesn't boot. It is stuck at the logo and the progress bar at 100%. This seems to be a common problem (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8158292). However, the common solution seems to be restoring from a time machine backup which I don't have.

Is there any workaround? Has anyone faced the same/similar issue?

Thanks.
I once had a similar problem and with no backup or help at hand, used internet recovery method.

In this the machine connects to internet and downloads the default operating system for the machine. It gets it working and then you can proceed further.

You can do a quick google search on how to boot the system in internet recovery mode. After successfully logging in, you will notice a spinning globe, it will connect to internet based upon your saved internet settings (wifi) and start downloading the OS. You would need a (preferably fast) broadband connection for it to go smoothly or else it has an inclination to hang in the middle too.
Good luck
Old 6th January 2018, 20:17   #2212
BHPian

Just purchased my Apple MacBook Pro 15 inch with touchbar 256 GB. Falling in love with the product with every new feature that I learn. Might take some time getting used to the shift from windows but I get a feeling its going to be worth it.

Last edited by SX4LOVER : 6th January 2018 at 20:17. Reason: spell check
Old 16th January 2018, 09:08   #2213
BHPian

The recent update to Mac OS High Sierra has introduced Wifi issues.
the 5Gz bandwidth keeps dropping frequently, switching to a 2.5Gz is much more stable.

I see that the problem has been reported as well. Just noticed that they pushed a new update. About to uptake this.

Will let you know if this resolved the issue.
Btw is anyone else facing the same problem ?
Old 18th January 2018, 16:54   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The recent update to Mac OS High Sierra has introduced Wifi issues.
the 5Gz bandwidth keeps dropping frequently, switching to a 2.5Gz is much more stable.

I see that the problem has been reported as well. Just noticed that they pushed a new update. About to uptake this.

Will let you know if this resolved the issue.
Btw is anyone else facing the same problem ?
For me it takes longer to connect to wifi after waking up. I don't face the dropping issue.
Old 18th January 2018, 17:18   #2215
BHPian

I have a 2013 13'' Macbook Pro with Retina Display. The only problem faced till now is the speakers have gone bad and also 256GB gets full quickly.
How much can I sell it for?
Any exchange offers for upgrading to the latest Macbook pro with touch bar?
Old 18th January 2018, 18:47   #2216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
I have a 2013 13'' Macbook Pro with Retina Display. The only problem faced till now is the speakers have gone bad and also 256GB gets full quickly.
How much can I sell it for?
Any exchange offers for upgrading to the latest Macbook pro with touch bar?
Apple store may have some offers but its advisable to sell it in market. Your machine (depending upon the physical condition and if speakers have gone kaput or can be repaired) should fetch around 25K easily.
Old 13th February 2018, 20:17   #2217
BANNED

Is there any way to play the images in a photograph folder/library sequentially. One may be able to navigate using the arrow keys.

More important is to close the open image when opening the next image. Any advice / help?
Old 13th February 2018, 20:33   #2218
BHPian

Not sure if you have used Preview. Just press Space bar when the picture is selected in the Folder. Then you can use Arrow Keys to move Left and Right. The only downer is once you reach the end of line and tap Right Arrow again, it does not take you to next line. You will have to Press Down, then start pressing Left.

Rachit
Old 14th February 2018, 09:51   #2219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Not sure if you have used Preview. Just press Space bar when the picture is selected in the Folder. Then you can use Arrow Keys to move Left and Right. The only downer is once you reach the end of line and tap Right Arrow again, it does not take you to next line. You will have to Press Down, then start pressing Left
I did try preview but could no get it to go. How do I get the first pic into Preview? Please advise. The rest appears quite clear, and will be more than adequate.
Old 14th February 2018, 10:51   #2220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did try preview but could no get it to go
try this

Did you know the Finder in Mac OS X has a built-in instant image slide-show feature? It’s part of Quick Look, and though it’s been around a while, it’s a little known feature that is really great when you want to quickly show off a group of pictures, or even if you just want to take a single picture into full-screen mode without having to launch an app like Preview

http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/06/8-tri...een-slideshow/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks