Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2018, 19:14   #2236
Senior - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Have been getting these annoying pop ups of late when I click on a link even from a trusted website.

How can i make these stop?
I've been having same kind of messages that open in a new window. Similar situation some months back, but resolved spontaneously. I'm thinking it might be a virus?
I'm using safari only. And it's unrelated to the websites I browse. Even happens on team-bhp.
Old 8th April 2018, 11:30   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Have been getting these annoying pop ups of late when I click on a link even from a trusted website.

How can i make these stop?
OK, here are a few things for you to try:

0. Do you by any chance have Mackeeper installed? If so, search on how to completely uninstall it and never use it again.

1. Download Malwarebytes and run it to see if you have any malware (basically adware). Malwarebytes does not do any cleaning, it only scans and tells you if you do have anything.

2. Download and install either Ghostery or uBlock Origin into your browsers (yes, do it for Chrome and Safari and any other browsers you have on your machine). And configure Ghostery or uBlock Origin to restrict basically everything.

3. This is merely a suggestion - do not use Chrome. Use Safari; and if you absolutely hate Safari, use Firefox.

Good luck

Cheers
Old 26th April 2018, 10:20   #2238
BANNED

I am using Thunderbird as my mail client. Seems that the inbox is corrupted. There is some .msf file to be deleted and then the folder/index recreated. Now how does one do that.

Also, I have bought a G3000 (In Tank, ink-jet) from Canon as a printer. New where do the scans sit, and how to access and move them.They seem to be pdf files in some place called My Image Garden. How does one access them. Also, any options as to crop the images prior or post scanning. Also, can one save images as a picture rather than pdf files.

Lastly How does one restore a single app from Time Machine.
Old 27th April 2018, 07:19   #2239
BANNED

I’m planning to buy a Mac. Can I get MS Powerpoint full functionality in a Mac? I somehow don’t like Keynote. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th April 2018, 07:22   #2240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I’m planning to buy a Mac. Can I get MS Powerpoint full functionality in a Mac? I somehow don’t like Keynote. Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can install the full MS-Office suite in Mac.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:23   #2241
BANNED

Quote:
There are some issues esp with High Sierra. Why not take a look at Apache Open Office (a freebie as well) or Open Ofice(.org)
Old 27th April 2018, 10:36   #2242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yep; I've been using Office Professional 2010 for about four years now. Placement of a bunch of buttons/functions varies from Office for Windows (not just in PowerPoint but throughout the Office range) but once you get the hang of it, it works fine.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:56   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am using Thunderbird as my mail client. Seems that the inbox is corrupted. There is some .msf file to be deleted and then the folder/index recreated. Now how does one do that.
Not used to Thunderbird, but I think you can look at this link for more info.

Quote:
where do the scans sit, and how to access and move them. Also, can one save images as a picture rather than pdf files.
Generally by default the images will be saved as jpeg. I'm not sure what the Image Garden that you are referring to is. By default the Mac is good to connect to peripherals like scanners/printers. Compared to Windows, I found it easier on Mac.

Here is the support document from Apple. Generally, I use the Image Capture app to get the scans. It automatically detects the scanner, though note that you can't press the scan button on the scanner and get it done. You need to scan from the app.

Once in Image Capture, you can customise the settings as you need.

Quote:
Lastly How does one restore a single app from Time Machine.
Open your Time Machine folder in Finder, browse to the folder you want to restore from and just copy paste. Make sure the app is deleted from your Applications folder first though.

Quote:
I have been using a 2011 Office for Mac since about 2012 or so. Its decent, gets the job done and it is as good as the Windows, except for some minor differences that are easy to get used to.

Quote:
There are some issues esp with High Sierra. Why not take a look at Apache Open Office (a freebie as well) or Open Ofice(.org)
One thing is, over time, I have come to realise that you need Office for compatibility issues. If you are working with others and do a lot of back and forth, you need to have Office. But, the Pages, Keynote etc are far more user friendly to use, especially if you want to do anything in non English languages, presentations (e.g. use iPhone as a remote etc.), or just use a quick template. But the Numbers is no comparison with Excel for power users. Large data as well as the Formulae, macros etc at just too good in Excel (or I haven't come across a better alternative).

Last edited by blackwasp : 27th April 2018 at 11:02.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:32   #2244
BANNED

Looking around it seems that Photos may be a chosen/popular option. I have found it on the Launchpad and moved it to the Doc. Now what comes next. Some guidance please.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:31   #2245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The better half is running a copy of Office 2016 for Mac. She's a moderate to heavy user and hasn't complained of any issues having switched from a Windows laptop last year.
Old 28th April 2018, 12:33   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Looking around it seems that Photos may be a chosen/popular option. I have found it on the Launchpad and moved it to the Doc. Now what comes next. Some guidance please.
Could you please elaborate? Do you have any specific questions?

Cheers
Old 28th April 2018, 14:28   #2247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Could you please elaborate? Do you have any specific questions?
I have recently switched from Samsung Laser all-in-one to Canon Deskjet (G3000, Ink Tank version). Now I need a decent scan software for it. The Canon stuff is diabolical.
Old 28th April 2018, 17:13   #2248
BANNED

Updated to High Sierra 10.13.4. Surprisingly the speed and stability have improved dramatically.
Old 28th April 2018, 17:55   #2249
BANNED

Quote:
Apache is much more highly rated than the Open Office product. So take your pick. I have taken Apache. The download is also smaller.
Old 29th April 2018, 11:07   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I have recently switched from Samsung Laser all-in-one to Canon Deskjet (G3000, Ink Tank version). Now I need a decent scan software for it. The Canon stuff is diabolical.
Huh? Actually I was looking for specific questions on your first post above, about "Photos". I do not understand the connection between Canon and Photos. I am confused.

Re. scan software, MacOS has a built-in tool called "Image Capture". It works very well. Have you tried it?

Finally, about the office suite, have you tried LibreOffice? Linux distros seem to prefer that over OpenOffice.org. It is available for MacOS too. https://www.libreoffice.org

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 29th April 2018 at 11:10. Reason: Added the part about Openoffice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks