Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2018, 15:29   #2251
BANNED

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Another issue : I am getting downloads going God knows where. There are two downloads folders. How do I fix them.
Old 30th April 2018, 15:41   #2252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Another issue : I am getting downloads going God knows where. There are two downloads folders. How do I fix them.
Safari -> Preferences -> General -> File Downloaded Locaiton

Chrome -> Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Downloads -> Location
Old 2nd May 2018, 20:36   #2253
BANNED

@Libranof1987; Found the problem, and have fixed it. Also, the shortcut on the desktop has to be created with Finder>Create Shortcut and then Drag to the desktop.

Also, I found that the Canon Multifunction is a pain to work the scanner, in both MacOS and Windoze. So a decent driver is needed on both OSes.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd May 2018 at 20:39.
Old 31st May 2018, 01:35   #2254
BHPian

I am in the UK for some work and tried to start my Mac Book Pro (2012) last night, unfortunately it does not boot.

I see the apple icon (logo), with the bar below turning grey to black (up until the very end), however, it does not boot.

Would any one know a solution to this? I hope its not a big issue, cos I have not taken a back up for a while. Also I return to Mumbai on 6th, is there a place where this issue can be resolved without spending mega bucks?

I wanted to switch to the new MBP, but decided to wait for another year or so.

Here in the UK any repair will cost me a bomb and so far I have only seen the Apple stores. Unless there is a geek in Essex Road who can fix my issue quickly with minimal quids ...

Await your assistance.
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:06   #2255
BHPian

MS-Office for Mac

Guys, need some feedback. I am going to University soon, and I would need to buy MS-Office for Mac since it is my primary computer now. I have used MS-Office extensively on Windows at work for a few years now.

Is it the same experience on a Mac? I am a little hesitant because I remember reading somewhere that MS-Office is not 100% optimized for Mac and performance is somewhat laggy on the dual core i5 (Macbook Air).

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:11   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Guys, need some feedback. I am going to University soon, and I would need to buy MS-Office for Mac since it is my primary computer now. I have used MS-Office extensively on Windows at work for a few years now.

Is it the same experience on a Mac? I am a little hesitant because I remember reading somewhere that MS-Office is not 100% optimized for Mac and performance is somewhat laggy on the dual core i5 (Macbook Air).

Thanks in advance!

My university provided me with Office 365, which basically means i have access to Office for Mac for free, during my course at the Uni. Please check if you have a similar option.
Office for Mac is a little laggy, but then I use it only when necessary, and stick to Pages and Numbers otherwise.
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:11   #2257
BANNED

Just started downloading High Sierra 10.13.5 all 2.12GB of it. Let us see what lies hidden. No bugs I hope.
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:30   #2258
Distinguished - BHPian

For those looking for office for Mac, I am not sure what the current version offers, but I had an older version on my Macbook and honestly it is a pain. This is because most office keyboards shortcuts that I use on windows (mostly excel); they don't work in office Mac (which is also a MicroSoft product). Someone who works a lot in excel and has got acquainted with keyboards shortcuts for excel should first check whether it is in symmetry with MS excel shortcuts.
Old 2nd June 2018, 13:15   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
For those looking for office for Mac, I am not sure what the current version offers, but I had an older version on my Macbook and honestly it is a pain. This is because most office keyboards shortcuts that I use on windows (mostly excel); they don't work in office Mac (which is also a MicroSoft product). Someone who works a lot in excel and has got acquainted with keyboards shortcuts for excel should first check whether it is in symmetry with MS excel shortcuts.
I am using 2016 version and only difference in shortcuts i noticed is the same as that of other shortcuts in mac os in general, you need to get yourselves acquainted with the use of command and option key, thats all. I haven't seen slightest hints of lagging or such other issues in 2016 version. Plus somehow i have developer preview enabled also which lets me receive latest updates (not that i have seen any changes in forefront).
Old 2nd June 2018, 15:19   #2260
BANNED

For Office may I suggest that you look at FreeOffice & OpenOffice & LibraOffice. I am sure any will fit your bill. Take your pick.
Old 2nd June 2018, 18:20   #2261
BANNED

Quote:
Just started downloading High Sierra 10.13.5 all 2.12GB of it. Let us see what lies hidden. No bugs I hope.
Took me quite some effort. Initially it would just hang. Then I found that about the 1.76GB mark there was some glitch. So it downloaded from there and then reinstalled. Went smoothly this time round. So I am on 10.13.5. Now let me see if there is any real improvement in performance.
Old 11th June 2018, 12:39   #2262
BANNED

Today found an interesting problem/bug. I managed to get and process my Electricity Bill in the morning. Then I tried to get by Form 26AS (income tax). The form came and opened normally. However, When I tried to print it or save it, I got a blank of the correct length. I was using my Mac running High Sierra.
Old 16th June 2018, 09:48   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
I had a big problem on upgrading to the High Sierra with massive battery drain even at night when the Mac was on stand -by. Tried everything but to no avail . Finally in my last week of warranty, took it to maple who did nothing but restore it to sierra and the MacBook has been working fine since then.
Mine is the MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Guys once downgraded to Sierra i'm having two problems with the Mac
1) My SMSes from phone not syncing to the mac
2) Notes app is also not syncing
What could be an easy solution to this, have tried almost everything suggested on apple support

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 16th June 2018 at 09:51.
Old 16th June 2018, 10:56   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Today found an interesting problem/bug. I managed to get and process my Electricity Bill in the morning. Then I tried to get by Form 26AS (income tax). The form came and opened normally. However, When I tried to print it or save it, I got a blank of the correct length. I was using my Mac running High Sierra.
Sorry, I only noticed this today.

Some folks create PDFs that necessarily need Adobe Acrobat Reader. I have faced this issue a few times too and have Adobe installed purely for that one reason. I use Preview for all other PDFs.

Try downloading Adobe Acrobat Reader for the Mac and opening the very same file - it will work.

Here is the link: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/i...dc-mac-os.html

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 16th June 2018 at 10:58. Reason: Added link to Adobe download
Old 16th June 2018, 11:43   #2265
BANNED

Quote:
The file came as a .zip. So move it out and then open the pdf file. Now they have changed the procedure. So if you choose the (locked) pdf is directly saved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks