Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2017, 12:40   #2116
BANNED

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
With the 8th Gen processors announced by Intel, is it still a good idea to get one of this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._pro_with.html

My usage consists a lot of Photoshop work. So is the 13" 2017 Pro Kaby a good option too ?
It's a very good price. If you do a lot of Photoshop, then the quad core in the 15 inch would be worth it. Go for the 13 inch only if you need the portability.
If leaning towards the portability of the 13, i would suggest finding a good deal on the 2017 one or waiting till early next year if possible because apple will most likely put in the quad core parts that will have about 40 percent more performance.
Old 6th September 2017, 17:42   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
It's a very good price. If you do a lot of Photoshop, then the quad core in the 15 inch would be worth it. Go for the 13 inch only if you need the portability.
If leaning towards the portability of the 13, i would suggest finding a good deal on the 2017 one or waiting till early next year if possible because apple will most likely put in the quad core parts that will have about 40 percent more performance.
Thanks for the reply Agam. In a desperate need of a laptop atm as my current ones screen has completely sheared of its hinges. This is my first foray into the Mac world and hence I am a bit skeptical about getting the Skylake as it will now be two gens older. Anyways, thanks for your reply.
Old 7th September 2017, 07:13   #2118
BHPian

Yesterday my daughter spilled water on MacBook Air 11.
After that it's not changing at all. Looks like battery is fried.
Any suggestion for good repair center in pune?
Old 12th September 2017, 08:47   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Yesterday my daughter spilled water on MacBook Air 11.
After that it's not changing at all. Looks like battery is fried.
Any suggestion for good repair center in pune?
Quoting myself to give update on the above issue.
Mods: Please merge above posts.

Update: gave macbook to urbanclap guys who in turn have it to Fonetech service center who is located near Rubyhall clinic Pune.
Got direct number of the owner. Reason was very much the water spillage and motherboard got damaged. He has given 8k estimation for repair and replacement of damaged parts.
I have given go ahead for repair as don't want to buy new one until my younger one grows up bit more.
Old 13th September 2017, 22:05   #2120
BHPian

Guys, which is the best USB C to HDMI/USB 3 hub ? Dont wish to buy multiple dongles.
Old 14th September 2017, 00:53   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Guys, which is the best USB C to HDMI/USB 3 hub ? Dont wish to buy multiple dongles.

The only decent one which sells in India is by MoArmouz.
A friend got one from the US for his 12 inch macbook. Works pretty well. It is a little pricey at around 7000 though. There is a 5 in 1 model without HDMI, and 6 in 1 with HDMI.
It allows charging through a USB C on hub also.
Old 14th September 2017, 13:34   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
The only decent one which sells in India is by MoArmouz.
A friend got one from the US for his 12 inch macbook. Works pretty well. It is a little pricey at around 7000 though. There is a 5 in 1 model without HDMI, and 6 in 1 with HDMI.
It allows charging through a USB C on hub also.
Thanks for the reply Karan.
Old 30th September 2017, 14:38   #2123
Senior - BHPian

My 2016 Macbook Air (13" 2015 design) decided to suddenly turn off today and refuses to power up.

I had not extended the warranty saying that I'm willing to bet that nothing will go wrong for the next 2 to 3 years atleast. So much for my confidence in Apple

Tried the suggestions on the Apple support site but to no avail.

Wondering if I should take it to apple authorized support or some where else in Bangalore, any pointers?
Old 30th September 2017, 23:01   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
My 2016 Macbook Air (13" 2015 design) decided to suddenly turn off today and refuses to power up.
If you are comfortable opening the laptop, then open the back panel, disconnect the battery connector, leave it disconnected for about 30 mins, reconnect it and try to turn it on.
Old 1st October 2017, 07:12   #2125
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip.
Today, I pressed the power button and it came up without a fuss. There was a system error that it had halted abruptly, did a restart to correct it.

Strange are the ways of Apple but all seems to be ok now.
Old 8th October 2017, 00:43   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Held off the purchase for a while, just ordered the 2017 Air (same as the 2015 model except a minor processor bump to 1.8GHz), chose Teletronics for seller.

~49k (including 12k cashback) from PayTm. The better half is in for a surprise!

I got myself the same through Flipkart for Rs. 48,500 - my first mac. She will totally be blown away by the UI.
Old 8th October 2017, 11:21   #2127
BHPian

OK, apologies for this very long post. I am facing a major issue with my 2010 MacBook Pro, and here is the story. This started yesterday evening by the way.

2010 MBPro running High Sierra not booting even after one hour.
Late 2010 17" MBPro with 8 gigs RAM and 1TB HDD running MacOS High Sierra, all latest updates installed.

Suddenly this evening Safari started to beachball. So I tried to start Opera. That too beachballed.

So I did the cmd-option-esc to try and force quit. That window to show running apps beach balled! Finally after many many minutes it showed the apps and all of them including Finder were not responding.

So, I tried to relaunch Finder. That took a very long time. Force-quitting Safari and Opera took many minutes too; and then Finder just kept beach balling. So, I could not even click Apple|Shutdown.

So, I held the power button down and killed the Mac.

Then I powered it back on. I got the Apple logo with the progress bar below.

That progress bar has been slowly filling for the last hour (actually as of this writing it has been an hour and twenty minutes).

The progress bar is now full, but it has been that way for around twenty minutes now.

So, any pointers on what else I can try? In order to run disk utility or Onyx or anything I first have to get the machine booted, so that's out of the question for now.

I can try resetting the PRAM and SMC, but I am worried that if that does not work, I again have to wait maybe 90 minutes or longer for the machine to start up again.

Any ideas please?

Thanks and cheers

EDITED TO ADD: I got sick of waiting, powered down the machine, did the SMC reset and the PRAM/NVRAM reset. No help. Still stuck at the progress bar and now I have to wait at least 90 minutes (if not longer) to see if it ever boots and then see if I can run Disk Utility or Etrecheck. Thanks

And below is today's update:

I left the machine on overnight. This morning it had booted to the login screen. Weirdly enough, the login process did not hang or take time - it let me type my password at normal speed. However, it did take a long time after that to actually display anything.

It had a blank screen for about 15 minutes, then Finder s-l-o-w-l-y loaded up (maybe 15 minutes more?).

I finally managed to click on the Safari icon; that took around 20 minutes to launch.

Clicked into the URL bar to go to the Etrecheck website - that resulted in the beachball again and after about 8 minutes it went to the site. Clicking the download button was an adventure because every time I move the mouse pointer (at any time, including in Finder) it takes an inordinately long time to stop beach balling.

To make a long story short, as of this writing Etrecheck has just completed downloading. Now i have to navigate to the downloads folder; move Etrecheck to the Applications folder, and then launch it. I am expecting that to take about an hour. Once Etrecheck launches and runs (don't know how long THAT will take), I shall see how I can move those results to my iMac so that I can post it here.

Computing in slow-mo . Interesting experience (only because my MBPro is not my daily-driver - otherwise it's not the most enjoyable experience).

And oh, BTW, I did manage to boot from the USB key I created and ran Disk Utility. The HDD did not pop out anything of concern. In fact it said that everything was absolutely fine. So, you folks still think it could be a toasted HDD?

Thanks again, folks. Stay tuned for the next update in a few hours

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 8th October 2017 at 11:23. Reason: Formatting.
Old 8th October 2017, 11:54   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

And oh, BTW, I did manage to boot from the USB key I created and ran Disk Utility. The HDD did not pop out anything of concern. In fact it said that everything was absolutely fine. So, you folks still think it could be a toasted HDD?

Cheers

If possible, get the disk out if the MBP and plug it in to another computer, and run extensive tests. You will need a SATA to USB cable, or basically an openable external hard disk casing.
If those tests run clean, then another way can be to create a clone the boot partition on a different disk and attempt booting from it.
If you do have an older time machine backup, then restoring from it is the easiest way actually to clear your doubts.
Old 8th October 2017, 12:31   #2129
BHPian

So my MBP 2 charger has gone kaput. There is a physical damage to the cable at the L tip. Do you guys have any suggestions for the MagSafe L tip 60 W charger. Apple store quoting 7.2k for the new.
Old 8th October 2017, 14:05   #2130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
So my MBP 2 charger has gone kaput. There is a physical damage to the cable at the L tip. Do you guys have any suggestions for the MagSafe L tip 60 W charger. Apple store quoting 7.2k for the new.

My Magsafe 2 went kaput in less than 2 years. Apple quoted 7800 for a new one, and a known dealer offered for 7200. I ended up picking up a magsafe replica from an Indian company called Artis, for 2400.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks