Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:57   #2161
Senior - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Somehow Mackeeper has got installed on my Mac Pro.

How to get rid of it. H E L P!!
Old 22nd October 2017, 11:18   #2162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Try using below link, should work.

https://www.macworld.com/article/286...-your-mac.html

Quote:
lso, my Chrome is corrupted / infected with something, which keeps on opening additional sessions, and also blanking out some pages after a moment.
Safari works best most of the time, you can probably remove chrome altogether, if you must need an alternative, try Firefox.
Old 22nd October 2017, 13:42   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@tilt; I had downloaded about three days ago. There is no option about iCloud during installation and otherwise. So I am stuck. Also, my Chrome is corrupted / infected with something, which keeps on opening additional sessions, and also blanking out some pages after a moment. How do I fix it.
@SG - I am not sure as to why you're facing problems installing. The google password it asks would most likely be your AppleID, which also doubles as your iCloud account too. So, try putting in that password and see if it helps.

As a last resort I would recommend you try doing a clean install (the nuke & pave methods I liked to a few posts before this one). I hope you have a recent backup of your data.

Re. Mackeeper, try what Turbanator had suggested. Please note that Mackeeper is malware, and there are a lot of sites that sneakily pop up the Mackeeper window and try to fool you into installing it. Please stay as far away from it as you can.

BTW, if you do go the clean install way, Mackeeper will be wiped off your system anyway.

Apologies for the late response, I was travelling these last few days and completely disconnected myself from technology.

Cheers

Edited to add: And I second the recommendation to move away from Chrome and use Safari.

Last edited by tilt : 22nd October 2017 at 13:43. Reason: Mentioned in the post itself
Old 22nd October 2017, 14:09   #2164
Senior - BHPian

@tilt; In the meanwhile went into the Mackeeper directory and deleted the contents. I guess the stub is still there but in not intrusive anymore. I went into Applications, then the MacKeeper directory and emptied it out. I also deleted the Directory. Not kosher but it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Checked out, all are clean.

I use Chrome primarily because of the password support. Does safari give the same?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd October 2017 at 15:17.
Old 28th October 2017, 11:20   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@tilt; In the meanwhile went into the Mackeeper directory and deleted the contents. I guess the stub is still there but in not intrusive anymore. I went into Applications, then the MacKeeper directory and emptied it out. I also deleted the Directory. Not kosher but it works.
Need help on two fronts.

After all these games I still have MacKeeper in the Launchpad, and it is not going away.

I am unable to find the scans on the Samsung 3400 scanner. Where are they vanishing. I had installed SCX-3200 after the SCX-3400. Seems some elements of the driver are shared. I have since dumped the 3200 but the 3200 driver refuses to go away.

Help!
Old 28th October 2017, 11:57   #2166
BHPian

Quote:

Checked out, all are clean.

I use Chrome primarily because of the password support. Does safari give the same?
Once again, apologies for the delayed response - for some reason this post of yours never showed up in the "New Posts" until today!!!

Yes, Safari uses Apple's Keychain. When Safari prompts you to save password, say yes, and it saves the ID and password in the Keychain.

And, if you enable iCloud Keychain, then that same credentials will be available on all your Apple devices.

Plus, it works on all websites. Well, not exactly - the one website where I am unable to use Keychain is on the SBI customer portal. Never works - maybe SBI has done something to disable it.

Quote:
Need help on two fronts.

After all these games I still have MacKeeper in the Launchpad, and it is not going away.

I am unable to find the scans on the Samsung 3400 scanner. Where are they vanishing. I had installed SCX-3200 after the SCX-3400. Seems some elements of the driver are shared. I have since dumped the 3200 but the 3200 driver refuses to go away.

Help!
Re. removing MacKeeper form Launchpad, have you tried clicking and holding (similar to how it is on an iPhone or iPad)? An X should appear; and when you click that X the app should be removed - not just from Launchpad but also from your computer.

Re. scanned images, have you tried looking somewhere in your Pictures folder? Your scanner software could've created a specific folder under Pictures.

Also, if you use Image Capture or Preview to scan instead of using your scanner's app, you should be able to specify where the scans are to be saved.

Alternately (just to find your already scanned images), have you tried to search from the Finder? You could search for PDF or JPG or whatever format you save your scans in).

Another cool search feature is using Siri open your Mac to find files. Here is something to show you how: https://www.recoveryiphone.net/artic...c-quickly.html

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 28th October 2017 at 12:02. Reason: Added the Siri bit
Old 29th October 2017, 09:52   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Plus, it works on all websites. Well, not exactly - the one website where I am unable to use Keychain is on the SBI customer portal. Never works - maybe SBI has done something to disable it.

Re. removing MacKeeper form Launchpad, have you tried clicking and holding (similar to how it is on an iPhone or iPad)? An X should appear; and when you click that X the app should be removed - not just from Launchpad but also from your computer.

Re. scanned images, have you tried looking somewhere in your Pictures folder? Your scanner software could've created a specific folder under Pictures.

Also, if you use Image Capture or Preview to scan instead of using your scanner's app, you should be able to specify where the scans are to be saved.

Alternately (just to find your already scanned images), have you tried to search from the Finder? You could search for PDF or JPG or whatever format you save your scans in).

Another cool search feature is using Siri open your Mac to find files. Here is something to show you how: https://www.recoveryiphone.net/artic...c-quickly.html
I tried with MacKeeper on the Finder. Yes, it does start wobbling but no X-appears on the MacKeeper.

As for the Samsung Scanner it was behaving perfectly till I went to Gurugram and also used the Samsung SCX-3200 (myson's). Seems the 3200 and 3400 drivers interfere. I have had similar issues on Windows as well, So removing the 3200 was a pain and then the Directory search also vanished. I was always saving scans on the Desktop earlier.

Could not make out how to use Siri.

So I am tempted to reload the OS and start from there. Guidance please?
Old 29th October 2017, 11:29   #2168
Senior - BHPian

@tilt; i was fooling around in Preview. I saw MacKeeper there deleted it and it went away. Totally surprised. So now the scan files remain. In the worst case I will have to delete and reinstall tor drivers.
Old 29th October 2017, 12:07   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
I tried with MacKeeper on the Finder. Yes, it does start wobbling but no X-appears on the MacKeeper.

As for the Samsung Scanner it was behaving perfectly till I went to Gurugram and also used the Samsung SCX-3200 (myson's). Seems the 3200 and 3400 drivers interfere. I have had similar issues on Windows as well, So removing the 3200 was a pain and then the Directory search also vanished. I was always saving scans on the Desktop earlier.

Could not make out how to use Siri.

So I am tempted to reload the OS and start from there. Guidance please?
I am wondering if this MacKeeper issue (deleting apps from Launchpad) could have something to do with the Launch Services Database. I am not sure though.

What you can try is to download Cocktail (http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/) and run it once. Do not change any of the default options there, just select the "Pilot" option and let it run. Then restart your Mac and see if has helped at all.

Please note that Cocktail is a paid app, but has a demo mode which lets you use it free ten times; this should be more than enough for you.

You may also try Onyx (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html) which is free. Again, do not alter default settings.

I am not sure this will help, but there's no harm in trying with the default options.

Who knows, running Onyx or Cocktail may also help with your Samsung drivers issue.

One question on the Samsung drivers though - did you install specific Samsung drivers or are you merely using MacOs's built-in drivers? If you're using Samsung-provided drivers, is there a reason you're using those and not the built-in ones?

The reason I ask is MacOS provides a pretty robust and extensive set of drivers for most printers/scanners/MFDs that negates the need for manufacturer-provided drivers. And, if you do not have a specific reason that is not covered by Apple's drivers, maybe you could remove the samsung drivers completely and see if that works for you?

Please note, I am basically spitballing here; more like thinking out loud. If someone here has a more proven or reliable solution I shall defer to them.

Re-installing the OS should be a last resort only, and even then it will only help if you do a clean install (nuke and pave) since a normal reinstall will not remove anything.

By the way, please note, if you do use Cocktail or Onyx to do the maintenance steps, your Mac will run slowly for a while until all indices and services are rebuilt. Depending on how much data you have, this could take a while. The system will work, just a bit slower than normal, that's all.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 29th October 2017, 15:41   #2170
Senior - BHPian

@tilt; I managed to download both of them. Cocktail cleaned up a lot of stuff. Now I may try again. As for OnyX . This being a freebie no issue about multiple runnings.looks very interesting.

I quite appreciate that we are shooting in the dark hoping an arrow hits home.

Considering all the fishing I did, appears that the images were not saved anywhere. It Windows terms I will say the file were sent to NUL.

Now the question is that if I remove the Samsung Printers (I think the 3400 was downloaded while 3200 may have come in as a subset). Does it set up for a clean reinstall. Otherwise I do not gain anything.

I any case I am thinking about getting a Canon Ink Tank printer, so maybe I will get it in a hurry and try. At the moment the scanner is good only as a photocopier.

I am also wondering where is 'Pictures'. I only have My Pictures in Documents.

Last edited by sgiitk : 29th October 2017 at 15:51.
Old 29th October 2017, 22:15   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Click on finder and then preferences. See if the box for pictures is marked or not.
Old 30th October 2017, 14:57   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*
It Windows terms I will say the file were sent to NUL.
Er... Unix terms I believe

Quote:
Now the question is that if I remove the Samsung Printers (I think the 3400 was downloaded while 3200 may have come in as a subset). Does it set up for a clean reinstall. Otherwise I do not gain anything.
Removing those drivers has nothing to do with clean install. You do not have to reinstall at all, clean or otherwise. Just remove the drivers, do a clean-up with Cocktail/Onyx, and try to use the Samsung scanner and printer; see if it works. You might have to restart the system.

Alternately, you could also try to remove the printer/scanner from your devices list (System Preferences/Printer" etc., then remove the drivers, do the Cocktail/Onyx thingy, and then add the Samsung again.

Quote:
See attached picture:
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-untitled.jpeg  

Old 30th October 2017, 18:10   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Did locate pictures in Mac>Users>sgiitk. No useful content.

My iitk guru also suggests removing all Samsung drivers and then reinstalling. Remember iitk does not have much expertise with the Mac. However, we do have a lot of Unix expertise.

Last edited by sgiitk : 30th October 2017 at 18:14.
Old 31st October 2017, 11:13   #2174
BHPian

These days the tables are turned.

My experience with 2 new devices

On the Mac - 10.12.6 Sierra
HP Laserjet printer
> connected it to the Mac , does not print, Try to configure it and the model itself is not on the list.

> Got a USB interface Sennheiser headset with mic ( got it since my company switched to skype ) , the Mac is not able to route audio/mic stream to the device via USB.
Requires a whole lot of driver downloading and stuff..

On Windows 10
HP Printer plug it in > Auto detected up and running
Sennheiser usb headphone > Auto detected auto configures up and running

Zero config for both devices on W10 works like a dream within seconds.
Old 31st October 2017, 11:36   #2175
BHPian

Quote:

How to get rid of it. H E L P!!
1) Launch the MacKeeper app in the Applications folder and then quit it.
2) Drag the MacKeeper app to the trash.
3) Enter your administrator’s password if asked.
4) MacKeeper app will move to the trash, and a window will pop up which will offer to uninstall the rest of its components.
5) Choose the reason for uninstalling and click the Uninstall MacKeeper button.
6) It will remove most of the files MacKeeper placed on your hard drive.
7) A MacKeeper Helper folder will still be there on your hard disk.
8) You can find it by visiting this location: ~/Library/Application Support. (To access this Library folder hold down the Option key and, in the Finder, choose Go > Library.)
9) Delete the MacKeeper Helper folder.
10) Empty the trash.
11) Restart your Mac, and MacKeeper will be gone (hopefully).

While making sure the uninstaller got everything, here’s a few more places to check.

~/Library/Caches/com.mackeeper.MacKeeper
~/Library/Caches/com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.Helper
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.Helper.plist
~/Library/Application Support/MacKeeper Helper
~/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon.pl ist
If something is there, move it to trash and empty the trash.

Your browsers may be affected by insidious ads that force you to install MacKeeper and basically won’t let you do anything else. To prevent this do the following:

First, quit Safari. If you are not able to, then you’ll have to force-quit Safari by pressing Command-Option-Escape, choosing Safari in the list, and clicking Force Quit. Now launch Safari again while holding down Shift.

Now look for extensions and cookies MacKeeper has added on your system. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, and remove things you feel unwanted or which you have not installed. Next, go to Privacy tab, and either click Remove All Website Data, or click the smaller Details button, and search for MacKeeper to remove MacKeeper’s cache and cookies.
In Chrome, go to Chrome > Preferences, then click Extensions in the menu on the left. Remove extensions you didn’t install. In the Settings menu, go to Advanced Settings, then click the Clear Browsing Data. In the pop-up menu, check the box for “Cookies and other site and plug-in data,” and click the “Clear browsing data” button.

Last edited by feluda86 : 31st October 2017 at 11:38. Reason: Typing mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks