Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 09:43   #2191
BANNED

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Managed to install - upgrade to the latest OS, yesterday. Sitting on a 5-12MbPS pipe it took almost an hour to download the 5.5GB. Went through smoothly. I was too tired to try for High Sierra (another 5.5GB). So using a slightly older High Sierra (about two weeks or so) I tried today. Thank God it was smooth. With the garbage gone the system is much faster whether it is the removed garbage or the High Sierra I cannot say.

I had to manually reset the Password back to what I had yesterday. I am on High Sierra 10.13 now. My scanning issue went away by itself.
Exactly as expected a day later (ie yesterday) High Sierra 10.13.1 showed up as an update in the App Store. It was 1.5GB. However, the speed with which it downloaded was amazing. What has happened - either High Sierra is faster or the indicator was out. Install took its own time, about 30 minutes.
Old 29th November 2017, 09:13   #2192
BANNED

Latest on High Sierra. Seems that a major security vulnerability has been found in High Sierra. Basically you can log in as root without a password. I am not documenting it here waiting for the Apple fix. I am sure they are hard at work on it.
Old 29th November 2017, 11:26   #2193
BANNED

Quote:
Latest on High Sierra. Seems that a major security vulnerability has been found in High Sierra. Basically you can log in as root without a password. I am not documenting it here waiting for the Apple fix. I am sure they are hard at work on it.
Now it is all over the web. Just give the id :Root with <no password> and you are fully in. I am surprised not to see an Apple fix yet.

Last edited by sgiitk : 29th November 2017 at 11:39.
Old 29th November 2017, 15:35   #2194
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly as expected a day later (ie yesterday) High Sierra 10.13.1 showed up as an update in the App Store. It was 1.5GB. However, the speed with which it downloaded was amazing. What has happened - either High Sierra is faster or the indicator was out. Install took its own time, about 30 minutes.
If I may ask, which version of Mac are you using? Reason for the question is I want to be sure that my system will not slow down after the update. I have an early 2013 Macbook pro (retina).
Old 30th November 2017, 11:36   #2195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
If I may ask, which version of Mac are you using? Reason for the question is I want to be sure that my system will not slow down after the update. I have an early 2013 Macbook pro (retina).
I am running an early 2015 Mac with Retina. The update has speeded up the system, probably due to garbage removal.

Today, I downloaded and installed the fix for the boot issue.

I hope it has fixed it.
Old 3rd December 2017, 23:41   #2196
BHPian

Guys, How to replace the battery for a Macbook pro? My laptop's battery condition is showing the status "Replace Soon".
Old 4th December 2017, 05:38   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Which model is it? I gave mine to Apple Genius Bar for battery replacement on my older 2011 MacBook Pro in Dubai, this is the one I use sparingly as the 2017 model is my current favourite. They charged me around Rs 5000. It's performing as good as new, and I have total peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, How to replace the battery for a Macbook pro? My laptop's battery condition is showing the status "Replace Soon".
Old 4th December 2017, 08:39   #2198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How old is your Mac, and what do you typically use it for? They tend to have very robust batteries. My 4 year old MBP (Retina) still gives me 5+ hours on regular usage (surfing and some music).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Which model is it? I gave mine to Apple Genius Bar for battery replacement on my older 2011 MacBook Pro in Dubai, this is the one I use sparingly as the 2017 model is my current favourite. They charged me around Rs 5000. It's performing as good as new, and I have total peace of mind.
5k INR?! That's really cheap. I heard something like 30k for the MBP and that too, not at Apple.
Old 4th December 2017, 09:37   #2199
BANNED

If you are interested in a DIY then take a dekko at the youtube. There are detailed instructions from opening the case to replacing the battery. Looks fairly simple. You must get the five lobed key to open the case and keep tab of the small and long screws.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:42   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

5k INR?! That's really cheap. I heard something like 30k for the MBP and that too, not at Apple.

Nishad Sir, battery was for around 10k. 30k was for motherboard repairs/replacement.
Old 4th December 2017, 23:25   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It is a MBP Mid-2012 model. Let me check with local stores here. 5k would be a terrific price though for battery replacement.

Quote:
How old is your Mac, and what do you typically use it for? They tend to have very robust batteries. My 4 year old MBP (Retina) still gives me 5+ hours on regular usage (surfing and some music).
I have an MBP Retina as well and it is almost 5 years old. It still gives me 3-4 hours of usage (movies & surfing).

Quote:
If you are interested in a DIY then take a dekko at the Youtube. There are detailed instructions from opening the case to replacing the battery. Looks fairly simple. You must get the five lobed key to open the case and keep tab of the small and long screws.
Yes sir. I am inclined to do it on my own, provided it is simple. I need to buy the 5 lobed key though.
Old 5th December 2017, 15:05   #2202
BANNED

Quote:
Yes sir. I am inclined to do it on my own, provided it is simple. I need to buy the 5 lobed key though.
Normal Allen Keys are six lobe, so Apple uses a special one. I got mine from Amazon. So it should be easy to get.
Old 5th December 2017, 15:14   #2203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Normal Allen Keys are six lobe, so Apple uses a special one. I got mine from Amazon. So it should be easy to get.
Could you mention the link please? I want to order them to.

I assume your early '15 and my late '13 MBP (retina) would need the same screw head.
Old 5th December 2017, 16:34   #2204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Normal Allen Keys are six lobe, so Apple uses a special one. I got mine from Amazon.
Correct, those are called as pentalobe screws.

Quote:
I assume your early '15 and my late '13 MBP (retina) would need the same screw head.
Just search for pentalobe screwdriver set on amazon/ebay etc. My mid 2011 iMac also used the same.

A tip - before you open up, get a set of small boxes, or something to segregate all the screws. You don't want to misplace any / mix up when you put it all together. I used a daily medicine box and bits of papers with the name / location of the screws. As long as you follow the guides, it should be easy. You can save even more if you can get someone from abroad to carry the battery for you to India.

I prefer iFixit guides.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:36   #2205
BANNED

Got the 10.13.2 update for High Sierra yesterday. 1.87GB downloaded and installed quite fast. I am sure High Sierra has speeded up the system.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks