Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2017, 11:47   #2176
akp
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
1) Launch the MacKeeper app in the Applications folder and then quit it.
2) Drag the MacKeeper app to the trash.
3) Enter your administrator’s password if asked.
4) MacKeeper app will move to the trash, and a window will pop up which will offer to uninstall the rest of its components.
5) Choose the reason for uninstalling and click the Uninstall MacKeeper button.
6) It will remove most of the files MacKeeper placed on your hard drive.
7) A MacKeeper Helper folder will still be there on your hard disk.
8) You can find it by visiting this location: ~/Library/Application Support. (To access this Library folder hold down the Option key and, in the Finder, choose Go > Library.)
9) Delete the MacKeeper Helper folder.
10) Empty the trash.
11) Restart your Mac, and MacKeeper will be gone (hopefully).

For uninstalling apps, one could also try appcleaner (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25276/appcleaner) - very simple to use. I do not know specifically if it will remove MacKeeper satisfactorily, but I have found appcleaner pretty useful.
Old 31st October 2017, 11:52   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
For uninstalling apps, one could also try appcleaner (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25276/appcleaner) - very simple to use. I do not know specifically if it will remove MacKeeper satisfactorily, but I have found appcleaner pretty useful.
Yes, there are many third party applications. However, for stubborn software like Mackeeper, most third party apps fail and traces of the application remain hidden in the system which triggers at a later point in time. This is the most comprehensive method to remove applications from Mac permanently. Most standard software do not need such extensive cleaning however, it is good practice to perform a thorough check - we do perform a lot of banking operations on our machines .
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:55   #2178
BHPian

After my recent failed attempt to install High Sierra, I could see a marginal drop in the performance of my MBP. Be it the boot time, dock and status bar loading time and the overall performance.

I have tried all possible resets but it hasnt helped. What is the way out rather than a clean install?
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:23   #2179
BANNED

Anyone with details of a clean install. I need guidance, and also to get the old stuff I am thinking of 'nuking' my machine.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:44   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Anyone with details of a clean install. I need guidance, and also to get the old stuff I am thinking of 'nuking' my machine.

A google search will give you what you are looking for. Since it's your first time, and dont want to risk it, here is one which will definitely work :
https://m.imore.com/how-do-clean-install-macos
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:13   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
SG, I had posted details a few pages ago on how exactly to do this, in response to your own query. Could you check?

Cheers
Old 4th November 2017, 09:24   #2182
BANNED

Found an interesting bug. The Mac was not accepting my password (i am 100% sure), after a few attempts it suddenly went into the opening screen, and now wakes up with it. What is going on, and also how do I manage this mess.
Old 4th November 2017, 11:01   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Found an interesting bug. The Mac was not accepting my password (i am 100% sure), after a few attempts it suddenly went into the opening screen, and now wakes up with it. What is going on, and also how do I manage this mess.
No idea why this is happening. Maybe you can try the following and see if it helps?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 (Reset NVRAM)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 (Reset SMC)

Cheers
Old 5th November 2017, 14:49   #2184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
No idea why this is happening. Maybe you can try the following and see if it helps?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 (Reset NVRAM)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 (Reset SMC)
I did some more snooping. The password is just 'Gone'. It starts with no Password. I did not try your tricks since I am afraid I may be locked out for good.
Old 5th November 2017, 15:07   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
I did some more snooping. The password is just 'Gone'. It starts with no Password. I did not try your tricks since I am afraid I may be locked out for good.
That is odd - just gone! Have you tried going into your user settings and see if it shows that a password has been set, or if it shows that your ID has a blank password?

And if it shows a blank, then maybe you could try entering your password again there and logging in?

But before doing that, please create another user account (as an Admin-level user, not a Standard user). This way, if you do get locked out of your original account, you could still log in and use your app, and copy your Home folder from the old account into the new and continue to use your machine.

Cheers
Old 5th November 2017, 16:41   #2186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You seem to be having quiet a lot of issues with OS, might be a good idea to take a complete back up. Once done, do a complete clean reinstall and restore data back.
Old 5th November 2017, 17:25   #2187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You seem to be having quiet a lot of issues with OS, might be a good idea to take a complete back up. Once done, do a complete clean reinstall and restore data back.
This is my idea. Nuke it, and then reinstall. Going by my earlier experience (PC) it will speed also up the system.
Old 12th November 2017, 14:16   #2188
BANNED

I am going to take the help of a friend and Guru to do the reinstall of the OS tomorrow. We might as well go to High Sierra.
Old 14th November 2017, 15:48   #2189
BANNED

Managed to install - upgrade to the latest OS, yesterday. Sitting on a 5-12MbPS pipe it took almost an hour to download the 5.5GB. Went through smoothly. I was too tired to try for High Sierra (another 5.5GB). So using a slightly older High Sierra (about two weeks or so) I tried today. Thank God it was smooth. With the garbage gone the system is much faster whether it is the removed garbage or the High Sierra I cannot say.

I had to manually reset the Password back to what I had yesterday. I am on High Sierra 10.13 now. My scanning issue went away by itself.
Old 14th November 2017, 16:16   #2190
BHPian

Has any tried installing a SSD by removing the Optical Drive - MBP 13" Late 2011 version

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks