Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2022, 22:07   #2926
Senior - BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Someone hand carried it for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
How did you source it to india?
Old 22nd April 2022, 18:12   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
To everyone using various dongles,

Avoid charging through the dongles, there were issues that were observed in Macs previously which lead to quite a few people's logic boards being fried! Apple did release a software fix for the same I believe, still I would suggest to be extra careful with charging through these hubs.

!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
I would suggest the Anker hub on Amazon. Usually retails for 6K but comes down to 4K in sales. I picked it up for 4k.
I haven't tried charging my system through the Anker hub but an issue I am facing is extremely fast battery depletion when connected to HDMI through the hub. The battery gives 20% of the backup I get without connecting.
I do not face such a battery issue when connecting my ThinkPad X1 to the same monitor.

If the need is only for HDMI, I would suggest users to buy the official apple HDMI dongle.
Old 22nd April 2022, 22:51   #2928
BHPian

Finally upgraded to the 14inch base MacBook Pro after 2/3 months of delaying the purchase. My previous machine was an i3 based Windows laptop with 4GB ram, Microsoft had completely ruined my device with the Win11 update and work was badly getting affected hence decided to finally take the plunge.

I bought the device from Croma Rajajinagar, Bangalore. They have some offers ongoing for the current month hence was able to get 10K of the MRP. We also have the regular HDFC cashback (10K) but since I didn't have the card handy had to sacrifice that benefit. I don't understand what is wrong with Croma, they really gave me a hard time in giving inter-state GST invoice. I had to get the invoice raised and payment done at my domestic state (Uttar Pradesh) and then take the delivery here in Bangalore. Imagine and other authorised reseller don't have such weird mandates, its only Croma which does this. I had already pre-booked the device with them by giving an advance hence had no choice but to go with them.

Anyways, the experience till now has been great - the device feels very nice to operate and user experience is damn smooth unlike Win11. I should have gone the Mac route way earlier.

I have also taken Apple Care for the laptop. Its a no-brainer considering the price of the device and how much replacing key components would cost (display, keyboard, SSD etc). Unsure how to activate it though.

Will now be a regular poster in this thread.

Mandatory Pic
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-whatsapp-image-20220422-10.25.37-pm.jpeg
Aaroah is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 21:02   #2929
BHPian

Guys, I have a question regarding the preservation and maintenance of my Mac's battery. It's been a week since I have been using the device (around 8 cycle counts) and it got to 99% in its design capacity.

My work involves a lot of video conferencing (roughly 6 hours every day on average) plus I use Chrome so it eats away to my battery like anything as compared to casual browsing / listening to music etc. I have to charge my device twice daily due to high usage. Can't go away from chrome as I use a lot of extensions and plugins which are only available on chromium-based browsers.

Don't want my battery to start deteriorating so quickly, thank god I took Apple Care+.

Please advise

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screenshot-20220430-8.52.16-pm.png
Old 2nd May 2022, 20:57   #2930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroah View Post
Guys, I have a question regarding the preservation and maintenance of my Mac's battery. It's been a week since I have been using the device (around 8 cycle counts) and it got to 99% in its design capacity.

My work involves a lot of video conferencing (roughly 6 hours every day on average) plus I use Chrome so it eats away to my battery like anything as compared to casual browsing / listening to music etc. I have to charge my device twice daily due to high usage. Can't go away from chrome as I use a lot of extensions and plugins which are only available on chromium-based browsers.

Don't want my battery to start deteriorating so quickly, thank god I took Apple Care+.

Please advise

Attachment 2302588
You should be fine, don’t worry about it too much.
I checked the battery stats under hardware report on my MBP and it has been through 150+ cycles. I have had it for a little over 8 months now. I have probably restarted it a handful of times since then and haven’t really shut it down, except when I had to travel a couple of times, from what I can remember. I keep it plugged in as much as I can.

Also, I don’t see a design capacity field under the hardware report on my ‘21 MBP16. How is this app (3rd party, I guess?) calculating that?
Old 30th May 2022, 14:32   #2931
BHPian

I've been a long time Mac user. I used to have the iBook in early 2000's, no issues, then upgraded to the Macbook White in 2006 which lasted me until 2011 with 1 HD failure. I got the first gen Macbook Air in 2011 and replaced that with the Retina Macbook Pro 15 gen 2 in 2013. This laptop was flawless for 8 years, only downside was the last couple of years, browsing speed slowed down.

I needed a PC/Mac at home and I ended up picking the M1 Mac Mini 16GB Ram + 512GB HD along with a 27" LG Ultragear GN950-B - 4K Nano IPS gaming monitor. The GN950 is an overkill for the Mac Mini but wanted to have an option to replace my other monitor at work if I wanted. These M1 macs are fast and no wonder they are reviewed so well across the World. As for the monitor, it's a beautiful panel with good colors and brightness.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-pxl_20210515_121018789.jpg

Keyboard and mouse - Logitech MX Keys and MX Master 3. You can't go wrong with these, both run off a single unifying USB adapter bundled in with them.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-pxl_20210530_083431984.jpg

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-pxl_20210530_083612586.jpg

Cabling has been pretty easy, I was able to sneak them under the Ikea standing desk. Few changes made since the photos are taken last year, moved the monitor to the center of the desk.

I've also purchased a USB C to DP 1.4 cable, this way you can get the 144Hz refresh rate while HDMI to HDMI doesn't work.

Here's the link for the cable for those interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
sweetvar26 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 09:43   #2932
Distinguished - BHPian

What do you guys think of the new Mac Air M2?

Does it make sense to buy the new stock M2 Air?

Or buy the base 999$ M1 Air?

Or bump up the base M1 Air to 16gb ram?

What would you do? Use case is video editing, browsing work, office stuff. Video editing would be the most ram hungry job (4k imovie).
Old 12th June 2022, 11:14   #2933
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
These M1 macs are fast and no wonder they are reviewed so well across the World. As for the monitor, it's a beautiful panel with good colors and brightness.
Absolutely! The difference in speed shows in a day-to-day operation. I was planning to wait last year assuming Apple will upgrade the HW spec. But they did not. So I just ended up getting the M1 mini. I was thinking my 2011 Mini may not function till then! But you know I now have two functioning Mac minis! I used to have a 2-port KVM switch with a VGA display. Not I upgraded to a 4-port KVM with HDMI. A common simple Dell display which shares duties across 2 Mini and the office lap top as well!

As regards to Keyboard and mouse: Even I have the MX3. But for the keyboard I would suggest the Kinesis Freestyle 2 split. Its awesome. But no-regrets on paying extra. One of the best key boards in the game I have used. It took some time to get used to split keyboard. But once you get used to it, there is no turning back.

https://www.amazon.in/Kinesis-KIN-FS.../dp/B00CMALD3E

I was also looking for a Thunderbolt hub. But ended up getting the type-C hub.
(link). Has a neat SSD tucked in which can used as a Time Machine back-up. Works nicely and HW sits right above the Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What do you guys think of the new Mac Air M2?
Does it make sense to buy the new stock M2 Air?
Or buy the base 999$ M1 Air?

Or bump up the base M1 Air to 16gb ram?

What would you do? Use case is video editing, browsing work, office stuff. Video editing would be the most ram hungry job (4k imovie).
Given its video editing, you definitely need to crank up RAM. Another option actually is to see instead of the new Air how does M1 Pro/Max based product line work out? That may be an option.

If Air is what you want, getting a Silicon upgrade is always good. But you should get more memory. My options:

M1 Pro based MacBooks > M2 Air > M1 Air
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 13:38   #2934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Given its video editing, you definitely need to crank up RAM. Another option actually is to see instead of the new Air how does M1 Pro/Max based product line work out? That may be an option.

If Air is what you want, getting a Silicon upgrade is always good. But you should get more memory. My options:

M1 Pro based MacBooks > M2 Air > M1 Air
I think the M1 pro is too much laptop for me. I liked how light the air is and i can just carry it everywhere. Honestly if i need more serious computing power, then i would just get a standalone Mac with a big screen. But i dont do that kind of video editing, just hobby stuff really.

Waiting on the reviews of the M2 air...
Old 17th June 2022, 14:18   #2935
BHPian

needs guidance on MAc book for my daughter . This would be our first mac purchase . My daughter has got admitted for NIFT and would need a Laptop ,since we have bought ipad pro for her sketching and other works more inclined towards MAc to be part of same ecosystem .

she would be using Adobe PS / illustrator majorly along with corel draw ,minor video editing and maybe Autocad after 2 yrs .

Which would be better laptop for her requirement .

13inch mac pro M2 / 8 core cpu / 10 core gpu / 8gb memory / 512 gb : 1.49lcs
13inch mac air M2 / 8 core cpu / 10 core gpu / 8gb memory / 512 gb : 1.49lcs
slighly larger screen ( 13.6 inch )
13inch mac air M2 / 8 core cpu / 8 core gpu / 8gb memory / 256 gb : 1.19lcs

Is there any windows alternative for mac air .
Old 17th June 2022, 15:12   #2936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
she would be using Adobe PS / illustrator majorly along with corel draw ,minor video editing and maybe Autocad after 2 yrs .

Is there any windows alternative for mac air .
Here would be my considerations:

13 inch may be a tad too less for design work, 16 inch could be better (or an external monitor)

8GB ram appears too small for such work, I would think 16/32 gb.

Check if all softwares that she is expected during her education work on mac. Due to the recently launched M series chip, having a different architecture, not all software may work.

Don’t skimp on max warranty.

I would suggest your child to check with some seniors regarding the popular choice of operating system (windows vs mac) in college.

I am aware that a lot of cad type softwares are not available for iOS and available only for windows.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 17th June 2022 at 15:20.
Old 17th June 2022, 15:46   #2937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My 2011 MBP got a new lease of life. After being refused a battery in India and overseas too (UAE, US), I finally found it in UK. Replaced it and the Mac is alive. Love this keyboard compared to any new one
Refused, means not available or not willing to sell. What's the cost and how did you install, service Centre or yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroah View Post

I have also taken Apple Care for the laptop. Its a no-brainer considering the price of the device and how much replacing key components would cost (display, keyboard, SSD etc). Unsure how to activate it though.
Congrats! Do you intend to install Windows in this Laptop. I did enquire with Apple s c, but they said not possible for M1, as of now.

Windows 11 says, minimum requirement is 4gb of RAM, but 8gb is always safe. You can upgrade the RAM and try. But coming from i3 to M1 will be a world of difference.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th June 2022 at 16:37. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 28th June 2022, 18:11   #2938
BHPian

MY 2016 manufactured 2017 brought Apple MacBook pro is facing the flex gate issue. Although my model is eligible for a free replacement as Apple is changing the display free of cost as its s design flaw for that series. So I took it to the authorized Centre hoping I will get a free replacement.

Even the authorized service Centre guys initially told it's the flex gate issue only and with the serial no when they checked in apple site they told it's eligible for the recall apple has extended for that series which is a design flaw from their side and they will be replacing the display free of cost for the models eligible

But after 2 days the service centre guys called me back and told me I'm not eligible for free replacement as it's just not the flex gate issue some other display issue is there and they came to know when they diagnosed the laptop ( which I don't buy) They are now telling the only option I have now is changing the display for which costs around 48k.

I don't want to spend so much on a 6-year-old laptop because I have plans to get the new M2 models in the near future...

Can anybody guide me on what I should do in this case?: Frustrati

I have been using only Apple devices for years as I am a big Apple Fan and this is the first time Apple has let me down.....

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 28th June 2022 at 18:21.
Old 29th June 2022, 11:37   #2939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
They are now telling the only option I have now is changing the display for which costs around 48k.

I don't want to spend so much on a 6-year-old laptop because I have plans to get the new M2 models in the near future...

I have been using only Apple devices for years as I am a big Apple Fan and this is the first time Apple has let me down.....
I'm sure there would be plenty of third party service centres in Bangalore that will change the display for something around 10k, that's what the display costs in a 3rd party svc in Chennai. So I suggest you change your display in any such service centre, and use the laptop for few more months before you upgrade to the M2.

Cheers!
Old 29th June 2022, 12:45   #2940
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post

Was there any physical damage on the screen when you have it for replacement? Ask the service for specific issue they are sighting and escalate in apple using support site.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks