Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2021, 16:51   #2806
Senior - BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

I moved to a Macbook 13 (Big Sur 11.6) very recently, courtesy a gift from my organization. The initial "euphoria" died down within no time, the moment I started to use it for daily activities
It reminded me of switching from my Dzire to the Vento - be it the wiper stalks/headlights etc. everything moving from right to left and vice-versa, in this case of the Macbook, the problem seems to have been multiplied 10 times over!!

I have tried to browse through multiple tutorials for keyboard shortcuts, the usual ways & means etc but there's always something or the other feature that foxes you, and then I have to start searching all over again.

Just today, I wanted to upload/copy some files directly from my outlook mail to the MS Teams folder (which I could do in my previous HP Elitebook without breaking a sweat), but for the last couple of hours, I couldn't find a simple solution on how to do this on the Mac.
Any suggestions for this?

Also, is there a post in this thread - where I can find such utilitarian Windows features that can make life easy on a Mac?
Thanks in advance
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 18:05   #2807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Just today, I wanted to upload/copy some files directly from my outlook mail to the MS Teams folder (which I could do in my previous HP Elitebook without breaking a sweat), but for the last couple of hours, I couldn't find a simple solution on how to do this on the Mac.
Any suggestions for this?
Looks like an issue with outlook. I tried the same and I can drag the files from outlook to finder but not directly to teams (not just teams, to most of the other apps). However, I can drag the files from apple mail to teams without any issues(I use apple mail).

I understand you want to directly move the files, but not sure if there’s a way to do that (sounds like a bug to me). A workaround is to drag and drop the files to finder and then drag from there to teams.

Update: Found a related discussion on the Microsoft forum https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...919495?page=1.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 21st September 2021 at 18:13. Reason: Added related link.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 19:03   #2808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I understand you want to directly move the files, but not sure if there’s a way to do that (sounds like a bug to me). A workaround is to drag and drop the files to finder and then drag from there to teams.
Yes, I stumbled upon this workaround. Drag the file from Outlook, move to Finder (any folder like downloads etc.) and then move/drop/upload to destination Teams folder.

Edit: another workaround is to save the outlook attachment/file in a "OneDrive" folder on the laptop, get this folder synced with the destination Teams folder. Next time, you want to do any drag & drop from outlook, just put it into the OneDrive folder, and everything gets synced automatically.

Quote:
Update: Found a related discussion on the Microsoft forum https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...919495?page=1.
Thanks, I had looked into this but the folks therein seem to be beating around the same bush , with no clear result.
Even this drag & drop feature set got evolved over a period of 5 years within the Microsoft community, so not sure how much time it will take to integrate between Microsoft and Apple, two of the fiercest rivals out there.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 21st September 2021 at 19:32.
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:29   #2809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I stumbled upon this workaround. Drag the file from Outlook, move to Finder (any folder like downloads etc.) and then move/drop/upload to destination Teams folder.
I haven't tried doing this, but is this (not) something that can be set-up as a quick action using Automator?
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 11:03   #2810
Senior - BHPian

On other note, got myself a cool new accessory for the Macbook Pro: Anker's USB Hub popularly called as the "PowerExpand Direct 7-in-2 USB C Adapter". Details of the product here.

Looks good, very very useful, quite compact and light-weight to carry around. Comes with a nice cloth pouch.

I keep it plugged it all the time, need it for my Jabra Evolve 65t BT adapter and the wireless mouse BT adapter:-

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-img_1592.jpg

This image taken from the product site shows the amazing and the massive port utility across 7 ports:-

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-81lckgxafl._ac_sl1500_1200x.jpg

I bought it for 3.5k about a month back. When I casually checked for the price today on Amazon, it shows a whopping Rs 12,699!
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 16:40   #2811
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On other note, got myself a cool new accessory for the Macbook Pro: Anker's USB Hub
I bought this a few months back for my MBA M1.

https://www.amazon.in/Belkin-Multime...TRONIC_ADAPTER

So far, I've used two USB ports or one USB + LAN / HDMI / Card reader concurrently; works flawlessly. However, when using any port that has a high data exchange (HDMI / Card / LAN), the adapter gets heated up pretty quickly and stays so. What's been your experience? I ensure I connect power directly.

Given a choice, I'd happily stay with the 2013+ MBP (the one with Retina): they were as thin as the MBAs and also had every port you'd need (except LAN).

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th September 2021 at 16:41.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 21:18   #2812
Senior - BHPian

Must be some mistake. I got the last piece for Rs 3,700 today. Yeah, 2013 MBP remains my favourite
Quote:
I bought it for 3.5k about a month back. When I casually checked for the price today on Amazon, it shows a whopping Rs 12,699!
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 22:20   #2813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I bought this a few months back for my MBA M1.
Cool. Belkin remains one of my fav go-to tech accessories. Only recently have I started using Anker.

Quote:
So far, I've used two USB ports or one USB + LAN / HDMI / Card reader concurrently; works flawlessly. However, when using any port that has a high data exchange (HDMI / Card / LAN), the adapter gets heated up pretty quickly and stays so. What's been your experience? I ensure I connect power directly.
Very often, I end up using all the ports (except the HDMI port) almost simultaneously but haven’t felt the Anker Hub showing any signs of getting heated. Need to check if this remains the case.
Thanks for pointing this out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yeah, 2013 MBP remains my favourite
This is my first tryst with Mac, but have heard rave reviews of the 2013 MBP
Old 25th September 2021, 22:40   #2814
Senior - BHPian

It has a sticker that reads; It is normal the hub may become warm when it is fully loaded or connected to PD adaptor
Quote:
Very often, I end up using all the ports (except the HDMI port) almost simultaneously but haven’t felt the Anker Hub showing any signs of getting heated. Need to check if this remains the case
Old 4th October 2021, 13:33   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
My 2017 15 inch MBP has come up with a message to get the battery serviced. This is my daily driver and I've crossed 1500+ charge cycles so pretty happy with the performance I've got out of it so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I just had the battery replaced in my 2018 13" touchbar MBPro; and it was not factory reset, I did not have to set anything up anew. The machine came back to me the same way i gave it to them; except with a new battery.
An update on this.

I went to the Apple store after booking an online appointment for battery service. The "genius" guy was super helpful. He asked if I had any keyboard issues, which I did, and said that as part of the recall for the butterfly keyboard issues, they will replace the keyboard for free, but the process also includes a battery replacement as well! So got both the keyboard (including the touchbar), and battery replaced for free, saving a cool £200 (20k INR)!

Their service was excellent. Took the laptop and said they would courier it back to me (fully insured) at home. It took about a week to complete, and I received my Macbook Pro back in mint condition and super clean. It honestly felt brand new again and all my data was completely intact. The new keyboard feels a little more clicky and the battery lasts for 7-8 hours at least now. Interestingly, they sent my laptop all the way to Czech Republic for repair and I received it back within 24 hours of them shipping it back to me.

This was in the UK. Not sure how service would be like in India, but if anyone has battery problems then definitely recommend seeing if you can get it changed as part of the keyboard recall.
s4ch is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 20:52   #2816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was in the UK. Not sure how service would be like in India, but if anyone has battery problems then definitely recommend seeing if you can get it changed as part of the keyboard recall.
Do you have an Apple care subscription? Unlikely to get such excellent support in India. Was Quoted Rs 7000/- for battery replacement for my iPhone SE. and phone will have to be with them for 7-10 days.
Old 5th October 2021, 00:07   #2817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Do you have an Apple care subscription? Unlikely to get such excellent support in India. Was Quoted Rs 7000/- for battery replacement for my iPhone SE. and phone will have to be with them for 7-10 days.
No I don’t have Apple care. I was ready to pay full price for the battery replacement but was very pleasantly surprised when it was done as part of the keyboard recall program for free. The butterfly keyboards on 2017/2018 MacBooks were notorious for getting dirt stuck in them and either not registering key presses or registering a double press.
Old 5th October 2021, 06:39   #2818
Senior - BHPian

Even I face the same keyboard issues on my 2017 MBP, but in India wont get this level of service. They just dont care. So, shall submit to the 'Genius' at Mall of Emirates in Dubai, who are really 'customer friendly'
Quote:
An update on this. I went to the Apple store after booking an online appointment for battery service. The "genius" guy was super helpful. He asked if I had any keyboard issues, which I did, and said that as part of the recall for the butterfly keyboard issues, they will replace the keyboard for free, but the process also includes a battery replacement as well! So got both the keyboard (including the touchbar), and battery replaced for free, saving a cool £200 (20k INR)!
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 13:08   #2819
Senior - BHPian

Microsoft is releasing Ms Office 2021 lifetime version (five years, for those who don’t want to purchase the Office365 monthly version) for Mac users today along with Windows 11. Users/experts please clarify the following.

The Ms Office for Mac version (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) should work across platforms, right? I mean a Word, Excel file or PowerPoint presentation if created on the Mac using this version would be readable/useable as normal on a Windows computer and vice versa. Would this also work as normal for people using older versions of the same programs on Windows machines.

I mean, if I create or send an excel file using Ms Office for Mac, send it to a Windows user they would be able to read/amend if required and when they send it back to me, I should be able to open/read the changes. Does it work the same way as if both users are on Windows machines, I mean normally, no issues faced.

New to the Mac world, hence confused.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world...395779990.html

Thank you.

Cheers
Old 6th October 2021, 17:55   #2820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Microsoft is releasing Ms Office 2021 lifetime version (five years, for those who don’t want to purchase the Office365 monthly version) for Mac users today along with Windows 11. Users/experts please clarify the following.

The Ms Office for Mac version (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) should work across platforms, right? I mean a Word, Excel file or PowerPoint presentation if created on the Mac using this version would be readable/useable as normal on a Windows computer and vice versa. Would this also work as normal for people using older versions of the same programs on Windows machines.

I mean, if I create or send an excel file using Ms Office for Mac, send it to a Windows user they would be able to read/amend if required and when they send it back to me, I should be able to open/read the changes. Does it work the same way as if both users are on Windows machines, I mean normally, no issues faced.

New to the Mac world, hence confused.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world...395779990.html

Thank you.

Cheers
Long story short, yes. Documents created on a Mac can be accessed and edited on a Windows system and vice versa.

There even is an option to save the file with an extension to be compatible with older versions of MS office in your "Save as..." tab, screenshot is attached.

Name:  Screenshot 20211006 at 5.52.56 PM.png
Views: 147
Size:  209.5 KB
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks