Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 22:32   #2671
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner View Post
Ordered two, one got cancelled.
I was thinking about flipping the one for profit (as someone agreed to buy it from me for 1.6L), do you think Silicon Macs would be worth it with slimmer bezels or should I keep this one and wait no longer?.
I would keep this one if I were you. Sure, the Silicon Macs will be better, but for the price that you've picked this MBP 16, its almost a no brainer.
Yakuza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 19:45   #2672
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys,

What's the best keyboard for a macbook? I want a full-size keyboard when on my desk and also I want the same / similar layout as my macbook keyboard. Don't want a different layout as I'm guessing, one will have to keep "adjusting" to different buttons.

Please advise - thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 00:48   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hey guys,

What's the best keyboard for a macbook? I want a full-size keyboard when on my desk and also I want the same / similar layout as my macbook keyboard. Don't want a different layout as I'm guessing, one will have to keep "adjusting" to different buttons.

Please advise - thanks!
Hi GTO,

I recently got the Logitech K380, which has won rave reviews, for my Mac's external monitor but had to return it as I couldn't get used to the rounded keys and smaller size. I replaced it with Apple's Magic Keyboard and am very happy with it.

Given that you are specifically looking for a full-size keyboard, I would suggest you look past the Wirecutter recommended Logitech K780 which, like the K380, has rounded keys. The Logitech MX Keys for Mac looks good, especially as it has backlit keys, but doesn't seem to be available in India. That seems to leave Apple's Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, which is the full-size version of the regular Magic Keyboard, as the only viable alternative. Although expensive, the Magic Keyboard is great to type on and I find the experience of switching back and forth between it and the keyboard on my MacBook Pro to be seamless. I do wish it had backlit keys though.
Anjadekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 00:59   #2674
Team-BHP Support

The K380 is what I have as well but it is not full sized. The keys are smaller and if you are used to a full sized keyboard may not be the best choice.

https://www.amazon.in/Logitech-MK850...s%2C293&sr=1-3

This is a good multi device keyboard with buttons that work for Mac and windows.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 11:06   #2675
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys! Google'bhai told me it's possible to customise the keys of my Windows-keyboard to behave like a Mac, so I'm doing that now.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 00:27   #2676
Distinguished - BHPian

Summary of today’s Apple event:

New Mac range powered by the new Apple in house M1 processor coming; including the air. For the claimed performance with M1 chip, prices look great, will need to see the Indian pricing now. Prices for Air start 999 USD and the Pro starts 1299. 100 USD less for the educational. The M1 powered mini starts 699. Orders start today.

Big sur stated to release this Thursday, that is 12 November.

Last edited by saket77 : 11th November 2020 at 00:37.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 01:09   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
For the claimed performance with M1 chip, prices look great, will need to see the Indian pricing now.
Prices are already out on the Apple India website. MacBook Air starting from 92,900 and MacBook Pro 13 starting from 1,22,900. Essentially same prices as before.

https://www.apple.com/in/mac/
Yakuza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 03:21   #2678
Senior - BHPian

Time to revisit Mac vs PC adverts. They are still so funny and mostly still true!

extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 19:26   #2679
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

How can I make the default setting such that programs & windows open full size? Right now, if I open MS word, excel, finder etc, they open in partially sized windows which I have to then maximise via the green button (or control + command + F) which is highly annoying.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screenshot-20201112-19.24.56.png

Aside, I thought it'll take me a month before I start using the Mac. Well, it became my primary computer within 4 days of arriving. Watched 10 YouTube videos on getting to know the OS and I'm happy to say I'm on the way to becoming an advanced user . Already using all the keyboard shortcuts too!
Old 12th November 2020, 20:11   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Aside, I thought it'll take me a month before I start using the Mac. Well, it became my primary computer within 4 days of arriving. Watched 10 YouTube videos on getting to know the OS and I'm happy to say I'm on the way to becoming an advanced user . Already using all the keyboard shortcuts too!
Welcome to the Mac, GTO! I switched in 2006 and love the platform. I thought I would share some resources with you that might be helpful.
  • The Mac Power Users podcast is great and their online community is absolutely fantastic. The forum has a lot of knowledgable and helpful users.
  • MacSparky (David Sparks, host of the MPU podcast) has some very helpful guides. 60 Mac Tips (volumes 1 and 2) maybe helpful since you have just made the switch.
  • David Pogue, formerly of The New York Times, writes manuals for macOS. I haven't checked them out but given his otherwise excellent and engaging writing I'd reckon they would be very helpful, especially for a beginner.
  • MacRumors, Daring Fireball, TidBITS, MacStories, and Six Colors, amongst others, have a venerable place in the online Mac universe.

Quote:
How can I make the default setting such that programs & windows open full size? Right now, if I open MS word, excel, finder etc, they open in partially sized windows which I have to then maximise via the green button (or control + command + F) which is highly annoying.
Check out this and this. Also, you might find the wonderful little utility Moom to be useful.

Last edited by Anjadekar : 12th November 2020 at 20:18.
Anjadekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:03   #2681
Team-BHP Support

Big Sur OS is out for Mac's.

https://www.iclarified.com/78505/app...ur-11-download

Quote:

Apple has released macOS Big Sur 11 on the Mac App Store.

macOS Big Sur elevates the world's most advanced desktop operating system to a new level of power and beauty. Experience Mac to the fullest with a refined new design. Enjoy the biggest Safari update ever. Discover new features for Maps and Messages. And get even more transparency around your privacy.
Substantial upgrade to Catalina and am liking it so far.

It is about 12.x GB download and needs about 35 GB space to install, so if you are running full make some space before you start off. Or take a time machine back up and do a clean install.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th November 2020 at 11:05.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 12:27   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
By full size, if you mean maximized instead of full screen, then Right Zoom is your friend. I have been using it happily for many many years.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 13:16   #2683
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,

Easiest way is to open once and then drag the window to max using mouse and close it. Next time onwards it will open in full size.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:52   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Big Sur OS is out for Mac's.

https://www.iclarified.com/78505/app...ur-11-download

*SNIP*
I upgraded my travel laptop this morning and it is working fine so far. What was disappointing is that my daily-driver home iMac (Late 2013) - which earlier was supposed to be compatible - has now been declared as incompatible with Big Sur. This in spite of it being identical in all ways (except form factor) to other Macs that are still in the "compatible" list.

Apple works in mysterious ways and shall not be questioned.

Cheers
Old 13th November 2020, 16:00   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Easiest way is to open once and then drag the window to max using mouse and close it. Next time onwards it will open in full size.

Correct. If you need more flexibility, install Rectangle (https://rectangleapp.com). I have 2 monitor setup and it makes my job real easy.
casnov is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks