Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2020, 10:31   #2596
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
The stock Notes app works fine for me with added advantage of note syncing across iOS devices.

EDIT:

Hope this helps - Stickies

This is Mac version of sticky notes
It turns out I already had Stickies installed.

I've tried pinning then to the dock, TextEdit, TextMate, TextWrangler, Notes, Stickies, tried them all. All too slowwww to launch.

Also tried Spotlight. The problem is, it's limited to a single line. Besides, if I leave it there for a few seconds, it seems to start a search on it!

Apple clearly missing a trick or two here ...

Will try what some other forummers have suggested too ...

Regarding this slowness to launch, might it be bcoz my MBP is a bit old? Its a 2012 model, running OS X El Capitan v10.11.6 (which BTW, prevents me from installing BBEdit, as it requires 10.14). And precisely bcoz my laptop is old, I've held off on upgrading to newer OS versions (which are always more demanding of resources).

Other apps launch and run perfectly fine though (Chrome, VLC, etc, commensurate to their complexity). Its just the launching of a lightweight no-frills notes editor that is excruciatingly slow to launch on OS X, taking anywhere from 1 - 3 seconds to launch, unlike Windows Notepad that launches in a nanosecond even on a decades old Windows laptop!

Last edited by vharihar : 19th July 2020 at 10:44.
Old 19th July 2020, 11:16   #2597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
It turns out I already had Stickies installed.
Its a stock app so no separate installation required

Quote:
I've tried pinning then to the dock Stickies, tried them all. All too slowwww to launch.
I do not understand what is slowwww about launching stickies. The whole point of stickies is to not launch them as they are always (Stuck) there on your desktop (Thus the name Stickies) in minimized or expanded form and it takes a single click and few milliseconds to expand and collapse them.

Quote:
Also tried Spotlight. The problem is, it's limited to a single line. Besides, if I leave it there for a few seconds, it seems to start a search on it!
Spotlight has been built to search (Also acts as calculator and currency convertor), thus its UI or "limitation" is of single line and its attempt to provide you with a result once you input anything.

Anyways good luck in your hunt for the perfect notepad solution for mac. Inbuilt notes and stickies serve all my needs to take down any details in a pinch.

Quote:
Regarding this slowness to launch, might it be bcoz my MBP is a bit old? Its a 2012 model, running OS X El Capitan v10.11.6 (which BTW, prevents me from installing BBEdit, as it requires 10.14). And precisely bcoz my laptop is old, I've held off on upgrading to newer OS versions (which are always more demanding of resources).
Other apps launch and run perfectly fine though (Chrome, VLC, etc, commensurate to their complexity).
If Chrome launches in the desired time then so will other apps. Secondly if chrome can launch in desired time then why not use the address bar as your text field.
Lastly since its a 2012 MBP then i guess it has potential to be upgraded with SSD (If its not already there) and more RAM. I would suggest going for it as there is a marked difference with two upgrades in that order.

PS: I am running macos 10.15.6 on early 2015 MBP and do not find any degradation in performance which doesn't commensurate with the age of product. Also if i am not wrong, macos Catalina is the last update MBPs of 2012 MY will receive so i will suggest going for it so that you have the latest OS as well.

PPS: No offense to your need for speed. After all this is TBHP and we all lust for that extra speed no matter how small it is.

PPPS: May be you should try out Galaxy Note line of devices as they are purpose built for the scenario described by you.
Old 19th July 2020, 16:55   #2598
BHPian

Quote:
I do not understand what is slowwww about launching stickies. The whole point of stickies is to not launch them as they are always (Stuck) there on your desktop (Thus the name Stickies) in minimized or expanded form and it takes a single click and few milliseconds to expand and collapse them.
This is incorrect as, although it comes bundled with macOS, Stickies is like any other app. As such, it has to be opened and is not always available on the Desktop. I think you may be confusing it with the Stickies widget in the Dashboard app, which gradually fell into oblivion and has been discontinued as of macOS Catalina.

@vharihar, you might want to consider iA Writer and Tot.
Old 19th July 2020, 18:30   #2599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
This is incorrect as, although it comes bundled with macOS, Stickies is like any other app. As such, it has to be opened and is not always available on the Desktop. I think you may be confusing it with the Stickies widget in the Dashboard app, which gradually fell into oblivion and has been discontinued as of macOS Catalina.
I think you are missing the point here. If stickies app (And i was not confusing them with widgets since i clearly mentioned desktop and not dashboard) is launched (Can easily be done to run at Startup) then unless it's forced quit, stickies do not go any where.
As for widgets not being part of Catalina, since the OP is not running Catalina, he can still very well use Dashboard and continue to use stickies as widgets.

Last edited by roamer012 : 19th July 2020 at 18:42.
Old 19th July 2020, 19:46   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are missing the point here. If stickies app (And i was not confusing them with widgets since i clearly mentioned desktop and not dashboard) is launched (Can easily be done to run at Startup) then unless it's forced quit, stickies do not go any where.
As for widgets not being part of Catalina, since the OP is not running Catalina, he can still very well use Dashboard and continue to use stickies as widgets.
You are right! It is strange how Stickies (the app) behaves differently from other apps and stays open even after a reboot. I guess you learn something new each day.

I am still running Mojave and opened Dashboard after what must be at least five years for my post. I was surprised that it is still around! It does look ridiculously outdated though.
Old 26th July 2020, 14:09   #2601
Senior - BHPian

My 2011 MacBook Pro (60W MagSafe) power charger frayed at the connector end. Any idea where I'll get the original one? (online seems to have quite a lot of sellers, not sure of their reliability) Since it's a Mac, don't want to take chances.
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2020, 15:42   #2602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My 2011 MacBook Pro (60W MagSafe) power charger frayed at the connector end. Any idea where I'll get the original one? (online seems to have quite a lot of sellers, not sure of their reliability) Since it's a Mac, don't want to take chances.
I happen to give the same MBP yesterday for issues with trackpad and the charging port.

The cost for the original charger is about 7500/- and they do not offer any discounts. It’s a lot knowing that we don’t know how long we would use this machine.

Suggested that I add SSD and this machine will be fine for another 2-3 years. He even stated that most people keep this MBP, add SSD as it a sturdy machine to use.

It is better to get a fresh adapter from Apple store and it will cost you about 7500/-. Mine is the 1344 model, check yours too, or best take your laptop and ask them to give you the exact adapter!
saildrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 18:54   #2603
Senior - BHPian

Mine is A 1278 model (i7 processor), early 2011. Has 1 TB SSD for the last year, (Samsung, top-of-the-line). Rs. 7500 seems is a lot for just the charger. Are there any Mac forums you know of (either on FB or otherwise) where I can get a used one? What happened to your charging port, and was it replaced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
I happen to give the same MBP yesterday for issues with trackpad and the charging port.
Old 26th July 2020, 19:08   #2604
BHPian

The repair guy told me that there are 3rd party adapters but there are no guarantees; so I might not want to take chance with it

I believe there was a power fluctuation and the charging port was burnt - that’s what he showed me. Also there used to be the jarring sound while charging so I guess it was a short circuit kind of thing

3rd Party usually costs 3500-4000 bucks; so you may have a check with your local store guy.

How much did you spend on the 1TB SSD? I was told that a 240 SSD will cost be 5000 bucks. You think it’s a good price. Double it to 480 will cost be 8500/- or so; decided I will keep it at 240, what are your views on this!?
Old 26th July 2020, 19:20   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can get replacement cables. I have 2 charges - both have some damage and one is severely damaged. Will avail the services of a chap who comes home and does the repair. He also suggested to change the part on the laptop when changing the cables.

If needed, I can share details of the chap (he's Mumbai based).
blackwasp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 19:59   #2606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
You can get replacement cables. I have 2 charges - both have some damage and one is severely damaged. Will avail the services of a chap who comes home and does the repair. He also suggested to change the part on the laptop when changing the cables.

If needed, I can share details of the chap (he's Mumbai based).
I wonder if there is someone like this in Bangalore, one of my chargers is a goner with frayed ends and needs fixing.
Old 26th July 2020, 20:04   #2607
Senior - BHPian

240 will get used up in no time, go for bigger. Upgrade RAM to max, that's really useful. I cant recall the price, but it was really cheap during the Black Friday sale. My MBP is good for another 5 years, so 1 TB made sense. This is my secondary device since I'm using a 'year old' MBP as primary. (Because this is so sturdy, and the key travel is perfect, I wont let go). I believe pre-2012 models were really well built and you can do so many changes (Before Apple got greedy), so this one is a keeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
How much did you spend on the 1TB SSD? I was told that a 240 SSD will cost be 5000 bucks. You think it’s a good price. Double it to 480 will cost be 8500/- or so; decided I will keep it at 240, what are your views on this!?
Old 26th July 2020, 20:07   #2608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I wonder if there is someone like this in Bangalore, one of my chargers is a goner with frayed ends and needs fixing.
If it is the connector end, get the cable from amazon, chop the OE cable at whatever length you desire and join the cable. No need to open or anything and anyone who knows how to join two wires and tape can do it in couple of minutes. If you want a neat job, get some shrink wrap, solder and join. I have done this and now have double length cable which is super convenient.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:24   #2609
BHPian

Any reliable MacBook Pro repair shops in Pune?

The screen on my MacBook Pro (Retina 15-inch, early 2013) has started flickering. It started from the bottom part of the display and now the entire screen flickers frequently.

Also, how do I ensure the data is not compromised when given for repairs?
Thanks.
Old 28th July 2020, 16:19   #2610
BHPian

Quote:
I love Amazon and use it for most things, even big ticket gadgets, but I would absolutely not get a replacement cable from there (or anywhere else online for that matter) as there are a lot of cheap knock-offs on the market. Given that a poor quality cable can damage the machine and potentially cause safety issues I would also strongly caution against getting the issue addressed by unauthorised service personnel and/or, and this should go without saying, chopping and joining cables on your own!

On an aside, if it is the charging brick part, and not the connector end that is damaged (not so in your case), then using the brick of a compatible Mac, as long as it is of the same or higher wattage, is fine. Unfortunately, it looks like you will need to get a new charger though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
Any reliable MacBook Pro repair shops in Pune?

The screen on my MacBook Pro (Retina 15-inch, early 2013) has started flickering. It started from the bottom part of the display and now the entire screen flickers frequently.

Also, how do I ensure the data is not compromised when given for repairs?
Thanks.
Make sure that your Mac is backed up and that your disk is encrypted with FileVault. Also ensure that your login password is not generic and easy to guess. The data encryption will be of little value if a rogue actor can simply guess his way through the safeguards!

I would ideally have at least two local backups on hand, a Time Machine backup and a bootable clone, in addition to a cloud backup. I personally use SuperDuper for making a bootable backup and Backblaze for cloud backups.

Have a look at this article too. It provides many useful tips. Good luck with the repairs!

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th July 2020 at 16:33. Reason: Back to back posts.
Anjadekar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks