Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 14:03   #2656
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The wifi seems to be acting up. If I connect my phone through wifi there is no internet. But if I connect it through USB it’s working. Same case with Jio wifi dongle. Also it takes a lot of time connecting with wifi.
Seems like DNS issue to me. try punching in manual DNS of google or others (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 / 1.1.1.1 etc.) once connected to your wifi (iPhone hotspot or Jio dongle). Else try forgetting these networks and restart the internet device (Phone or modem) and then set up the networks as new networks.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:24   #2657
BHPian

I have a Macbook air that is not booting up. I had updated the OS after a prompt in the Settings. Since then the Macbook Air is not booting up. It starts with the Apple logo and a loading bar and just shuts off in 1 or 2 seconds. What could be the issue and how do i rectify it?

Wife mentioned she experienced the same issue on the same Macbook Air when she tried to update the OS couple of years ago. She gave it to Apple ASS who charged a few thousands and gave it back telling not to update ever. Since then she is averse to updating mobiles, laptops, iPads, Macbooks to the latest versions when there's an update available. I, on the other hand, update to the latest version as and when a latest update is available.

Appreciate any help in this regard.

Last edited by bharatbits : 27th September 2020 at 12:29.
Old 9th October 2020, 11:11   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This may not be relevant here, but the .....Mine got a new lease of life with 1TB SSD and works great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir333 View Post
I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 13 retina and the .......fine, the replacement process was fairly easy except for removing that glue underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I just got a a new Magsafe port on my 2015 MacBook Pro as it was not making proper contact with the charger - it had gone black on a couple of pins. I ......but now its 10-12k. I can post his contact details if you are interested.
Thank you for the suggestions. Was told by the apple authorised service centre that the version is legacy and is no longer serviced. Got a quote from outside for 7k.
But my concern is whether the issue is actually with the battery or the charging circuit. Find attached a screen grab of the system report. It shows the full capacity is 2600mah but the battery is not charging and has drained. As you can see on the status bar, the laptop is running on adapted. It later changes to 100% and battery is charged in the status bar. But if i remove the adapter it shuts off immediately.
Is this the expected behaviour when a battery is due for a replacement? Does it stop charging altogether regardless of any remaining battery capacity? Running the onboard diagnostic doesn't show any charging circuit error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
I have a Macbook air that is not booting up. I had updated the OS after a prompt in the Settings. Since then the Macbook Air is not booting up. .... help in this regard.
Funny enough, this is the exact behaviour i encountered before i had my battery issues. I had to let it drain completely overnight, perform multiple smc resets etc before it booted on the adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-power-status.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by kedar3223 : 9th October 2020 at 11:30.
kedar3223 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:24   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Is this the expected behaviour when a battery is due for a replacement? Does it stop charging altogether regardless of any remaining battery capacity?
Yes, the battery has lost the ability to hold charge anymore and I think the peak performance of your laptop will also be affected by it. You might also be experience overheating of the laptop.
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 18:03   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Is this the expected behaviour when a battery is due for a replacement? Does it stop charging altogether regardless of any remaining battery capacity? Running the onboard diagnostic doesn't show any charging circuit error.
Battery is due for replacement. The mAh figure is very low. But I'm surprised with this as your cycle count is very low.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 20:31   #2661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Yes, the battery has lost the ability to hold charge anymore and I think the peak performance of your laptop will also be affected by it. You might also be experience overheating of the laptop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Battery is due for replacement. The mAh figure is very low. But I'm surprised with this as your cycle count is very low.
What I suspect is that there was a voltage fluctuation while the laptop was plugged in on standby, causing damage to the battery cycle. The issue surfaced all of a sudden. As a matter of fact, a few weeks back the battery capacity was showing as only 450mah
Old 14th October 2020, 00:13   #2662
Distinguished - BHPian

Was expecting Big Sur release today. Disappointed about no mention of it.
Think we need to wait more. Another event looks possible to showcase the new macs and the release of Big Sur.
Old 20th October 2020, 09:05   #2663
BHPian

Some great deals on Flipkart for those looking to buy a Macbook.

MacBook Pro 16 inch for 1,55,000.
MacBook Pro 13 inch for 1,45,000 (i5 10th Gen)
MacBook Air for 1,10,000 (i5 10th Gen)
Yakuza is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:04   #2664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Anyone here had/having an issue with FlexGate?
My sister's 2016 13" (non-touchbar) 2-USB-C port Macbook has developed this problem. The display image freezes if the screen is opened more than 45-degrees.
Just to update on this situation, the first authorized repair center abandoned the repair, because they found some burn mark on the inside cover. It was from a previous (paid & expensive) "logic board" replacement that was done by another authorized center called B2X in Mumbai. They said to send it there.

B2X did the diagnosis, and they did finally replace the screen and fix the flexgate issue free of charge (if you go there, ask for Rohit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Apple and free! Haha! You are funny.
Well I'm neither laughing nor crying here - because I've never bought an Apple product for myself in my life. Though this flexgate thing really makes me angry.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd October 2020 at 21:05.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:52   #2665
Senior - BHPian

For a person who is looking to get a personal laptop for browsing, watching movies, some photo editing and online classes, which MacBook would be recommended? I have no idea of the mac universe but I heard that they are very reliable and I am looking for a fuss free ownership for the next 5 years at least. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.
Old 23rd October 2020, 00:05   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
For a person who is looking to get a personal laptop for browsing, watching movies, some photo editing and online classes, which MacBook would be recommended? I have no idea of the mac universe but I heard that they are very reliable and I am looking for a fuss free ownership for the next 5 years at least. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.
I think for your usage the 2020 MacBook Air base model (10th Gen i3) should suffice. I picked up one recently, albeit with the i5 10th Gen processor, and use it pretty much like how you would be using, and its been fuss free till now.
Only thing is if you're coming from a 15 inch Windows Laptop, you may find the screen a little small.
Yakuza is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 00:44   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Apple is on the cusp of a major transition, moving from Intel chips to Apple silicon, and the first Macs with the new chips are likely to be unveiled in November.

These next-generation Macs will bring exponential improvements in performance and energy efficiency (leading to significantly better battery life) and allow Apple to substantially reduce the form-factor, making much lighter devices possible.

If you can hold off for a bit longer then I recommend you wait for the unveiling of the first of these new Macs next month. If not, then check out the MacBook Air. It might not have all the bells and whistles, or excitement, of the newer ones but is bound to serve you well for many years.
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:36   #2668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
Apple is on the cusp of a major transition, moving from Intel chips to Apple silicon, and the first Macs with the new chips are likely to be unveiled in November.

These next-generation Macs will bring exponential improvements in performance and energy efficiency (leading to significantly better battery life) and allow Apple to substantially reduce the form-factor, making much lighter devices possible.

If you can hold off for a bit longer then I recommend you wait for the unveiling of the first of these new Macs next month. If not, then check out the MacBook Air. It might not have all the bells and whistles, or excitement, of the newer ones but is bound to serve you well for many years.
Sure, can definitely wait, however hope that the cost increase is also not substantial
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:45   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
For a person who is looking to get a personal laptop for browsing, watching movies, some photo editing, and online classes, which MacBook would be recommended? I have no idea of the mac universe but I heard that they are very reliable and I am looking for fuss-free ownership for the next 5 years at least. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.
I will recommend you an iPad including accessories, it will happily do the aforementioned activities with the flexibility to use it as a mobile device. The apps and games that you get for iOS have been tweaked for PadOS and that makes a considerable difference. I have a Gen-2 iPad and I use it for mobile gaming and it's pure fun.
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 01:00   #2670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post

MacBook Pro 16 inch for 1,55,000
Ordered two, one got cancelled.
I was thinking about flipping the one for profit (as someone agreed to buy it from me for 1.6L), do you think Silicon Macs would be worth it with slimmer bezels or should I keep this one and wait no longer?

I do know Intel is a lot better in many aspects like compatibility and performance than ARM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks