Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2021, 12:31   #2776
Team-BHP Support

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yes, its normal on the metal body. Regarding hub, I use only this brand. And its excellent
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
All 2 pin chargers will give out static as there is no connection to Earth and laptop being a metal body there is chance of static.
Yep, I've faced in the past with my earlier MAc. My observation was more surrounding what Apple achieved by providing a two, rather than a three-pin charger, when the consequence is well known. I've dropped them a note, not that I expect them to act on it.
Old 17th June 2021, 13:14   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure? Mine is 3 Pin, but I do experience a 'charge'
Quote:
All 2 pin chargers will give out static as there is no connection to Earth and laptop being a metal body there is chance of static. Being USB C, you can use any charger you want (preferably a 3 pin one) and it should be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-img_5541.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 13:42   #2778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
...providing a two, rather than a three-pin charger...
Does this vary by product? Better half's previous gen Air actually had both options in the box for the MagSafe brick. 2 pin attachment that plugged directly at an edge of the brick, and the more conventional 3 pin cable.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 15:08   #2779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Does this vary by product? Better half's previous gen Air actually had both options in the box for the MagSafe brick. 2 pin attachment that plugged directly at an edge of the brick, and the more conventional 3 pin cable.
Yep, until recently, Apple shipped them (the adapter that went directly into the wall + an extension wire). Then came cost cutting/ rationalisation / "you don't need it but you just don't know it yet".
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 23:51   #2780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Are you sure? Mine is 3 Pin, but I do experience a 'charge'
Check the MagSafe 4 pin connector. Is there dark coloration / little damage? If they clean with isopropyl alcohol + ear buds after shutting down the laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
2 pin attachment that plugged directly at an edge of the brick, and the more conventional 3 pin cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Yep, until recently, Apple shipped them (the adapter that went directly into the wall + an extension wire).
Just ordered a charger for mom’s 2013 MacBook Air. Not sure by what you mean by cost cutting. Do you mean the new USB C laptops don’t come with this 3 pin extension?

Here’s the 2 pin - lacks metal stripe on the inner edge while the 3 pin has it.
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-3087bebd6fb1470e8eb2be9604ad676d.jpeg

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-9eed4a94947b42d6a711f277fe517acf.jpeg
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 09:50   #2781
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not sure by what you mean by cost cutting. Do you mean the new USB C laptops don’t come with this 3 pin extension?
Correct; a two pin adapter and the USB-C wire are all you get.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-2af16ae1c32843f2a6d7f5d0e0d9ff39.jpeg
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 09:29   #2782
BHPian

My new employer sent across an i7 MBP 16 a couple of days back. This is my first Mac so I am still trying to figure out the workflows on how to get stuff done fast. I used a very fast and very efficient Windows laptop (with a 6 core AMD Ryzen 4000 CPU) and I want to become just as productive on this one, if not more.

I had actually requested the MBP 13 and was expecting the M1 equipped one so I was slightly disappointed when this one showed up. Initially I was trying to get comfortable with the bigger size and the additional Intel heat but by day 2, I had made peace with it and was trying to look at the bright side.

The screen is really good and I expected that.
What I didn't expect and was pleasantly blown away was the fact that the speakers are phenomenal.
The built-in mic is also as good as a headset mic for the person on the other side of the call.
Camera is decent but could have been better considering that this machine retails at ₹2Lac.
The touchpad is MASSIVE. It is roughly 2x the size of my 6 inch smartphone.
The additional screen real estate should also come in handy when getting a lot of stuff done.

I consider myself a Windows power user and some resources on how to get up and running with a Mac would be really helpful so please feel free to point me in the right direction so I can run with it.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 21:17   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I consider myself a Windows power user and some resources on how to get up and running with a Mac would be really helpful so please feel free to point me in the right direction so I can run with it.
Here are some videos to help you get an idea of what you can do. I'm not sure on what sort of files / data you work on so can't suggest anything specific.

Little older but still relevant -

Has some terminal tips -

I'm a fan of Automator, especially if you are working with workflows that are repetitive. Here's the Apple support document. There are tons of youtube videos on this as well.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 18:17   #2784
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, please help! My Macbook wakes up from standby whenever I plug in the power cable.

It's my habit to work on the laptop around the house, and then place it on the couch + plug it in for charging. But even if the lid is closed and I plug in the power socket, it wakes up from sleep!

How do I disable this? Thanks.
Old 1st July 2021, 07:45   #2785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Congratulations on your new mac.

Here are two tips for optimising your work flow.

Teach your fingers to use cmd+space bar.
You can search for anything using the spotlight, including applications. I never use mouse for opening most of the applications.

Try to use spaces (workspaces in Linux). You can spread your work across multiple screens and very easy to navigate.
One simple way of creating new space is, press F3, move the app window you want to move to other space to the top, if you slightly right to the available spaces, it creates a new space.
Navigate to different spaces using cmd+arrows

My browser stays in one space while my editing in other and so on.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 13:13   #2786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, please help! My Macbook wakes up from standby whenever I plug in the power cable.

Could be the PowerNap settings, You can disable from SysPrefs->Battery->Enable PowerNap
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 09:51   #2787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

It's my habit to work on the laptop around the house, and then place it on the couch + plug it in for charging. But even if the lid is closed and I plug in the power socket, it wakes up from sleep!

Have you installed all the latest OS updates?

Have you tried resetting the SMC and PRAM?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 16:06   #2788
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking to get the new iMac 2021, where can i get the best deal?
HDFC card 6000rs cash back discount is the only offer I have seen with authorised apple resellers.
Stock also seems to be an issue. Ideally would like to buy from the Apple website as I can customise it to my liking, not sure if resellers offer this option.
Old 5th July 2021, 16:14   #2789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Looking to get the new iMac 2021, where can i get the best deal?
HDFC card 6000rs cash back discount is the only offer I have seen with authorised apple resellers.
Stock also seems to be an issue. Ideally would like to buy from the Apple website as I can customise it to my liking, not sure if resellers offer this option.
There are some good discounts on the Apple India website for students. I see a discount of around 12k for the base model, 14k for the mid model and 16k for the top model. Doubt anyone else can offer a better deal.
Old 5th July 2021, 16:51   #2790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
There are some good discounts on the Apple India website for students. I see a discount of around 12k for the base model, 14k for the mid model and 16k for the top model. Doubt anyone else can offer a better deal.
I'm far from being eligible for a student discount Any other options?

Apple website also has very delayed delivery timelines mentioned

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks