Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 12:14   #1276
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I need iwork '09 for my macbook. I have a .cdr file. (possibly its an image of the install DVD but not sure) How do I install the .cdr file?

Thanks,
Saket
Locate the .cdr file and just double click on it. It should mount as a drive. Then select the drive and you should find the install files in it. Install it.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:15   #1277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Locate the .cdr file and just double click on it. It should mount as a drive. Then select the drive and you should find the install files in it. Install it.
Thanks a lot. Will proceed in that way.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:16   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

You've got that right. And that alone should make your decision an easy one to make!

You already mentioned you need something with a longer battery life. The new MBA fits your bill because of that extra juice that you can get out of the new Haswell processor. It also runs the latest PCIe SSD - which is faster than your regular SSD's. I average around 9-11 hrs on mine considering I run Parallels with Win XP. I must mention that I have upgraded my RAM to 8GB. So that may just be making a slight difference.

Yes, you lose out on the fantastic Retina screen, but you gain on mobility. You heart won't really melt on watching the wallpaper, but you get comparatively better aesthetics.

This is more or like a head over the heart decision. Both are fantastic products. Get one before the school discount runs out or the prices go up.

Good luck.
Well I did go to the apple store yesterday. And I spent a good amount of time on the MBA. I must say, the retina was not as impressive after I spent a fair amount of time on MBA. The retina is great, but definitely not worth spending a good 25k extra

You're spot on, I have decided to go with the air. It is a way more beautiful machine over and above the battery life advantage.

One question. How did you upgrade the ram ? I believe it isn't possible to upgrade it in the MBA 2013.

Also how does windows perform on the MBA? Does it give the same battery life ?
Old 19th August 2013, 12:32   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... How do I install the .cdr file? ...
It is a disk image. Use the Disk Utility app (Application > Utilities) to burn it to a CD/DVD (depends on size) first, then use the disk to install.

Last edited by DerAlte : 19th August 2013 at 12:33.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:37   #1280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It is a disk image. Use the Disk Utility app (Application > Utilities) to burn it to a CD/DVD (depends on size) first, then use the disk to install.
Okay! Thanks for this pointer. So using this disk utility will convert it into .dmg (by unzipping the image?). I will try doing it and will ask you guys again if I encounter any error. Thanks.

Saket
Old 19th August 2013, 12:43   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
You've got that right. And that alone should make your decision an easy one to make!
I average around 9-11 hrs on mine considering I run Parallels with Win XP. I must mention that I have upgraded my RAM to 8GB. So that may just be making a slight difference.

Hi,
For the RAM upgrade, which make and latency specs did you go through? Also, did you do this yourself?

In terms of the student discount, do they really need all the student paperwork? i am planning to buy a MBA, so asked!
Old 19th August 2013, 13:19   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Well I did go to the apple store yesterday. And I spent a good amount of time on the MBA. I must say, the retina was not as impressive after I spent a fair amount of time on MBA. The retina is great, but definitely not worth spending a good 25k extra

You're spot on, I have decided to go with the air. It is a way more beautiful machine over and above the battery life advantage.

One question. How did you upgrade the ram ? I believe it isn't possible to upgrade it in the MBA 2013.

Also how does windows perform on the MBA? Does it give the same battery life ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Hi,
For the RAM upgrade, which make and latency specs did you go through? Also, did you do this yourself?

In terms of the student discount, do they really need all the student paperwork? i am planning to buy a MBA, so asked!
I bought the Air from the US. Customizing is easy-peasy from the Apple Website. You've got options to upgrade the RAM, upsize the SSD and some more. I understand, in India you've got pre-specced machines and you're devoid of any customizations.

The Air with the upgraded 8 GB RAM costed me about 1200 USD (with the student discount applied). The RAM is by Samsung - 8 GB 1600 Mhz LPDDR3. The PCIe SSD is also a Samsung make. Apple provides some discount to university/school students in the US all year-round. Not sure about the student discount policies in India.
Old 19th August 2013, 13:34   #1283
BHPian

Quote:

I bought the Air from the US. Customizing is easy-peasy from the Apple Website. You've got options to upgrade the RAM, upsize the SSD and some more. I understand, in India you've got pre-specced machines and you're devoid of any customizations.

The Air with the upgraded 8 GB RAM costed me about 1200 USD (with the student discount applied). The RAM is by Samsung - 8 GB 1600 Mhz LPDDR3. The PCIe SSD is also a Samsung make. Apple provides some discount to university/school students in the US all year-round. Not sure about the student discount policies in India.
I explored the US option.

The MBA 13" with 8 Gb ram costs approximately 1340 USD plus taxes of another approximately 100USD. These are all education prices.

You get a 100$ gift card which is unusable by an Indian user even on the American App Store. So net net it still costs you 1440 USD.

How did u manage to get it for 1200?

Also because of the awful increase in dollar prices, these days macs are cheaper in india from the US.

Here's a comparison

13" 256gb 4gb ram Core i5 - in india it's for 77900 after student discount. USA it's for 1349 USD after student discount. thats approx 85000 @ Rs. 63 / USD. YESTERDAY'S buying rate. Assuming you bought it at Rs. 58/USD exchange rate, it still equals the Indian price.

So I'd prefer buying here.

Last edited by Bluebeem : 19th August 2013 at 13:35.
Old 19th August 2013, 14:07   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I explored the US option.

The MBA 13" with 8 Gb ram costs approximately 1340 USD plus taxes of another approximately 100USD. These are all education prices.

You get a 100$ gift card which is unusable by an Indian user even on the American App Store. So net net it still costs you 1440 USD.

How did u manage to get it for 1200?

Also because of the awful increase in dollar prices, these days macs are cheaper in india from the US.

Here's a comparison

13" 256gb 4gb ram Core i5 - in india it's for 77900 after student discount. USA it's for 1349 USD after student discount. thats approx 85000 @ Rs. 63 / USD. YESTERDAY'S buying rate. Assuming you bought it at Rs. 58/USD exchange rate, it still equals the Indian price.

So I'd prefer buying here.
That's because I have the one with the 128GB SSD!

The 13'' 128 GB is for 1099. The RAM upgrade costed me about 90 USD. That's 1190. 30 USD for the USB to Ethernet cable. That makes it 1220. I got some 50 USD student discount making the total 1170. Bought a sleeve for 30 USD making the then total to 1200! I paid ZERO taxes because I had the item ordered from and shipped to a relatives address in Delaware

But you're right. It makes more sense buying it here with the increase in dollar prices now.

EDIT: Missed out on your Windows performance on the Mac question.

With Parallels, Windows XP works well on the Mac OSX. The Coherence mode on Parallels is excellent. You will see a fall in battery life because you're essentially running a Virtual Machine simultaneously with the host OS. As I mentioned earlier, I get approx 9-11 hrs battery while running Parallels (depending on what and how many memory intensive tasks I run on the VM).

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 19th August 2013 at 14:24.
Old 20th August 2013, 10:47   #1285
Distinguished - BHPian

Are the older Macbooks, say from the leopard era which came shipped with restore DVDs have their OS tied with the AppleID of the users? Or the ownership is transferable with the restore DVD & the machine?
Old 20th August 2013, 16:28   #1286
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, apart from the previous query, Mac experts, please let me know that how to partition the hard drive which has the OS. It's a single 250GB drive which I need to create 2 partitions on.

Thanks.
Old 20th August 2013, 16:32   #1287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, apart from the previous query, Mac experts, please let me know that how to partition the hard drive which has the OS. It's a single 250GB drive which I need to create 2 partitions on.

Thanks.
Its quite easy to partition in Mac, follow the steps in this link.

http://www.geek.com/apple/how-to-par...drive-1482555/
Old 20th August 2013, 16:53   #1288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its quite easy to partition in Mac, follow the steps in this link.

http://www.geek.com/apple/how-to-par...drive-1482555/
Thanks man! I am looking into the link.

Please answer one more query....Are the older Macbooks, say from the leopard era which came shipped with restore DVDs have their OS tied with the AppleID of the users? Or the ownership (of the OS) is transferable with the restore DVD & the machine?

Thanks.
Old 20th August 2013, 21:15   #1289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks man! I am looking into the link.

Please answer one more query....Are the older Macbooks, say from the leopard era which came shipped with restore DVDs have their OS tied with the AppleID of the users? Or the ownership (of the OS) is transferable with the restore DVD & the machine?

Thanks.
As far as i know, they are not since the OS and iTunes account were two separate things in earlier OS. Even now OS install only needs the account linking, once installed you can use another iTunes account also, if i am not mistaken.
Old 20th August 2013, 21:27   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Even now OS install only needs the account linking, once installed you can use another iTunes account also, if i am not mistaken.
There is an option under setup where you can choose to have separate accounts for iCloud and for iTunes/AppStore. If you choose that option setup prompts you twice for accounts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks