Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2013, 21:42   #1291
Team-BHP Support

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

And i just tried with my other iTunes account and it works like a charm at the store app
Old 20th August 2013, 22:32   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
And i just tried with my other iTunes account and it works like a charm at the store app
No restriction on the number of accounts you can access - I juggle 3 iTunes accounts. For peace of mind make all app purchases from one account - else app updates which are now auto for most people will not be so straightforward for you.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:05   #1293
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Friends,

I was wondering if I could install a newer version of OS X like the Lion on my Macbook which originally came with a 10.5.4 Leopard. The configuration is

Intel 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 2GB of Memory & a 250 GB HDD. Currently running 10.5.4. What are my options?

Regards,
Saket
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:36   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello Friends,

I was wondering if I could install a newer version of OS X like the Lion on my Macbook which originally came with a 10.5.4 Leopard. The configuration is

Intel 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 2GB of Memory & a 250 GB HDD. Currently running 10.5.4. What are my options?

Regards,
Saket
Check this page:
http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

officially it's bit of a pain as apple will ask you to first upgrade to 10.6 and then some other version if qualifies.
your configuration specs are capable of running 10.8 which can be obtained with some hacks or bypass method available on internet.
do some solid research before you buy upgrade.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:41   #1295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Check this page:
http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

officially it's bit of a pain as apple will ask you to first upgrade to 10.6 and then some other version if qualifies.
your configuration specs are capable of running 10.8 which can be obtained with some hacks or bypass method available on internet.
do some solid research before you buy upgrade.
Thanks Nicky. Actually I am not too keen for the upgrade, esp when it costs substantially, my main issue is that sometimes my Macbook won't boot and get stuck at an alternating blue screen with the spinning gear at times. I looked at apple support which mostly tells either to boot in safe mode or reset PRAM. I had reset the PRAM but with no success, however, did not try the safe mode. I think this issue has to do something with s/w incompatibility. Once the system goes into this mode, the only option I have is to reinstall the OS with the DVD. Hence, I am running with minimal 3rd party s/w so as to avoid this issue.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Saket
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:18   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
my main issue is that sometimes my Macbook won't boot and get stuck at an alternating blue screen with the spinning gear at times.
Thanks,
Saket
I am not really aware about this particular issue on mac yet, but earlier during my microsoft windows days, blue screen meant serious trouble with hardware or OS reinstallation.
my suggestion would be to upgrade the OS to latest one, if you are out of warranty and doesn't have apple care plan any more valid.
Old 14th September 2013, 17:33   #1297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sometimes my Macbook won't boot and get stuck at an alternating blue screen with the spinning gear at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I am not really aware about this particular issue on mac yet, but earlier during my microsoft windows days, blue screen meant serious trouble with hardware or OS reinstallation.
my suggestion would be to upgrade the OS to latest one, if you are out of warranty and doesn't have apple care plan any more valid.
I think there was a conflict between the resources since I installed NTFS 3G for enabling my Macbook to write on my NTFS formatted external HDD which is shared by my windows laptop too. I reinstalled the OS with the OS restore DVDs and did not install 2 things which were suspicious: An Apple Update and the NTFS 3G software. The system is running perfectly since then.
Has anyone on the form experienced similar problems with either the updates or the NTFS writing softwares?
Old 15th September 2013, 00:38   #1298
BHPian

Quote:

I think there was a conflict between the resources since I installed NTFS 3G for enabling my Macbook to write on my NTFS formatted external HDD which is shared by my windows laptop too. I reinstalled the OS with the OS restore DVDs and did not install 2 things which were suspicious: An Apple Update and the NTFS 3G software. The system is running perfectly since then.
Has anyone on the form experienced similar problems with either the updates or the NTFS writing softwares?
I have been using paragon NTFS with no issues at all, maybe you should try that instead.
Old 16th September 2013, 13:19   #1299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackshark View Post
I have been using paragon NTFS with no issues at all, maybe you should try that instead.
Paragon NTFS is not free, right? Which version of OS X you are using?
Old 16th September 2013, 13:59   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
Paragon NTFS is not free, right? Which version of OS X you are using?
Nope it is not free, but you can find it if you know where to find it. I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and never had an issue with it.
Old 16th September 2013, 14:04   #1301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope it is not free, but you can find it if you know where to find it. I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and never had an issue with it.
Quite a new Mac you are on! Thanks for the pointer on the software
Old 16th September 2013, 14:24   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
The machine is not new but yes its up to date
Old 16th September 2013, 20:37   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Please don't go that route. If you want a free solution, format your HDD in exFat. That's natively supported in both Windows and Mac. It doesn't have limitations like Fat32 and overhead of NTFS. Because it is not journaled, it is not as reliable as NTFS by design.

Quote:
The machine is not new but yes its up to date
You need to update to 10.8.5.
Old 16th September 2013, 21:36   #1304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Please don't go that route. If you want a free solution, format your HDD in exFat. That's natively supported in both Windows and Mac. It doesn't have limitations like Fat32 and overhead of NTFS. Because it is not journaled, it is not as reliable as NTFS by design.
Can Mac environment format in exFAT system? As I am sure windows has no option to format in this file system. And why do you say that it is not as reliable as NTFS?
Old 16th September 2013, 22:08   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Can Mac environment format in exFAT system? As I am sure windows has no option to format in this file system. And why do you say that it is not as reliable as NTFS?
Yes, Mac supports exFat natively like Fat32. exFat is Microsoft's file system, so I'm sure it's available. I don't have access to a windows machine - so I can't confirm.

What I mentioned about reliability was theoretically. You won't see any difference in practical use. NTFS has much more features compared to exFat, but exFat has better performance because of less overhead in terms of processing. Just google exFat vs NTFS and you would find all the details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks