Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 23:21   #526
Senior - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Lion is out along with a new Macbook Air, MacMini and Cinema Display. The plastic macbook has been discontinued.
Old 21st July 2011, 10:33   #527
Team-BHP Support

Downloaded the Lion overnight and installed it in the morning. Could not play around much in the morning, but the new gestures are super cool, so are the full screen app, launch pad etc. Me likes
Old 21st July 2011, 10:56   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Lion is out along with a new Macbook Air, MacMini and Cinema Display. The plastic macbook has been discontinued.
I have the Lion installed on my machine. The mega-download took nearly 15 hours, but the install was completely painless. I have a difficult configuration with boot-camp as well as windows 7 pro on parallels.

They all appear to be working. Parallels updated itself after Lion installs, and now iWorks is downloading some 200 mb.

The natural scroll appears a bit bit unnatural. Not had much time to play but, will report anything unusual.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:53   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Downloaded the Lion overnight and installed it in the morning. Could not play around much in the morning, but the new gestures are super cool, so are the full screen app, launch pad etc. Me likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I have the Lion installed on my machine. The mega-download took nearly 15 hours, but the install was completely painless. I have a difficult configuration with boot-camp as well as windows 7 pro on parallels.

They all appear to be working. Parallels updated itself after Lion installs, and now iWorks is downloading some 200 mb.

The natural scroll appears a bit bit unnatural. Not had much time to play but, will report anything unusual.
Worth it? It isn't that expensive but I'm waiting to hear if it is a big improvement over Snow Leapord.
Old 21st July 2011, 19:56   #530
Team-BHP Support

Yup i think its worth the 29.99$ just got back home and have started exploring more, will update further shortly
Old 21st July 2011, 20:42   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Worth it? It isn't that expensive but I'm waiting to hear if it is a big improvement over Snow Leapord.
The Lion is worth every rupee spent on it. Like I said the upgrade was flawless.

The sequence that I followed for the upgrade:

1. Updated the snow-leapard to the latest release.
2. Updated all applications including MS Office 11 for Mac
3. Updated Parallels
4. Ran apple update for App-store
5. Took a time-machine back-up
6. Booted the system
7. Purchased Lion using App-store
8. It took more than 15 hours to download through the night
9. This morning it was ready to instal
10. It restarted my MacBook Pro and then presented with a screen that provided estimated time for instal
11. Just left it to do its things.
12. Post instal, it restarted the system and lo and behold the Lion was ready to roar.
13. I ran the software updates again
14. This time round, I had new updates for iWorks, Parallels and iTunes.
15. Made another backup on time-machine

I have had some time to explore the Lion. On the face of it nothing had changed. But as I play with the system, there is plenty to applaud, and I am beginning to enjoy the new experience. So what's different

1. New gestures are more intuitive. I have got used to natural scrolling and it is more intuitive.
2. Now Safari, iMail and several other application run full screen mode. It is a nice way to work.
3. I have organized the launch-pad.
4. The mission control is new and am getting used to it.
5. Full screen applications are great. I was a little lost without tabs on Safari, but I have now enabled them on full screen, and now I have loads of real-estate. Going back and forth with different webpages using two finger gestures is great.
6. Use three fingers and jump from one app to another. It's a new experience and makes a lot of sense.
7. I have rarely got used to a new OS this fast.

I am unable to comment about speed, as my system has Intel i7 processor, 8 GB RAM and 720 HDD. This kind of hardware is an overkill even for windows bloat ware. So snow-leopard too was blazingly fast.

Thus far nothing has crashed, and I've not had any unpleasant surprises.

So long as you have adequate back-up, I think you are ready to roll
Old 21st July 2011, 22:03   #532
BHPian

Has anyone tried Tata Photon Plus dialer on the Lion yet?
Old 21st July 2011, 23:58   #533
Team-BHP Support

I did not take any update whatsoever and it worked like a charm and there are many small small tweaks when you explore. Right from new Fire vault, Login page etc. Mine is a 13" starting MBP and no issues so far. The pinch to zoom is really a boon since i keep my browser magnification to 80% ish.
Old 22nd July 2011, 00:44   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Installed OS X Lion, it was a smooth upgrade from SL 10.6.7. Took around 30mins or so for the install. The opposite scroll will take some time to get used to. I miss the pinch to zoom feature in finder though..used that feature a lot while browsing through images.
Old 24th July 2011, 16:25   #535
BHPian

After installing OS X Lion a couple of days ago I realized that my notebook was behaving a bit sluggish. A look at the activity monitor revealed that mds process was hogging huge resources - 30% to 108% CPU.

This was not a happy situation. I first thought that spotlight is busy re-indexing. So I shifted my bootcamp partition to privacy in spotlight preferences. This too had no effect.

I emptied caches which too didn't appear to correct the problem.

I then repaired permissions using the Disk Utility. This seems to have corrected the issue - at least as of now.

Has anyone also noticed this?
Old 28th July 2011, 20:01   #536
BHPian

This goes out to anyone who has installed a OS X Lion and is facing problems with battery life and excess heat. You might want to check out this lion battery problem article were solutions are explained which should hopefully work.

Another point to note in the article would be the need to update not only to 10.6.8 but also use the combo upgrade (essentially 10.6.8 v1.1) before upgrading from SL to Lion.
di1in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 20:23   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
This goes out to anyone who has installed a OS X Lion and is facing problems with battery life and excess heat. You might want to check out this lion battery problem article were solutions are explained which should hopefully work.

Another point to note in the article would be the need to update not only to 10.6.8 but also use the combo upgrade (essentially 10.6.8 v1.1) before upgrading from SL to Lion.
Thanks for the link. I can't go back to the combo as I upgraded to Lion the day it was released and combo appears to come along only on 26th.

I have already done the SMC reset and I should perhaps recalibrate the battery as well, though I don't really see how that'll help.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:30   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I can't go back to the combo as I upgraded to Lion the day it was released and combo appears to come along only on 26th.

I have already done the SMC reset and I should perhaps recalibrate the battery as well, though I don't really see how that'll help.
The battery recalibration helps to show the actual battery life even though it doesn't prolong it. And then I read somewhere that an uncalibrated battery would result in the mac going to sleep earlier in case of low battery. This was supposedly due to incorrect calculation of reserve power by the battery mc.

My mac is new (im a newbie), so I'm not bothering about a clean install but for those of you veterans I'd recommend a clean install based on what I've read. It seems an 'unclean' install gets certain processes running in loops in the background which result in the extra heat -> higher rpms -> battery drain. When you download Lion you could create a boot DVD for future use as well.

Hope this helps.

Thrissur iBHPians could give me a PM if they want the Lion disc. A drive beats downloading a 4gb file anytime
Old 28th July 2011, 20:36   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
The battery recalibration helps to show the actual battery life even though it doesn't prolong it. And then I read somewhere that an uncalibrated battery would result in the mac going to sleep earlier in case of low battery. This was supposedly due to incorrect calculation of reserve power by the battery mc.

My mac is new (im a newbie), so I'm not bothering about a clean install but for those of you veterans I'd recommend a clean install based on what I've read. It seems an 'unclean' install gets certain processes running in loops in the background which result in the extra heat -> higher rpms -> battery drain. When you download Lion you could create a boot DVD for future use as well.

Hope this helps.

Thrissur iBHPians could give me a PM if they want the Lion disc. A drive beats downloading a 4gb file anytime
Newbie or not, you sure have the smart thing by keeping a copy of Lion install. I didn't, and could kick. I can only feel a bit silly. Downloading 4 GB a second time over will keep me away from any temptation to re-install Lion.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:43   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Newbie or not, you sure have the smart thing by keeping a copy of Lion install. I didn't, and could kick. I can only feel a bit silly. Downloading 4 GB a second time over will keep me away from any temptation to re-install Lion.
Get one of your mac user friends to buy Lion and show up at their home with a smile on your face and a blank-dvd in your hand when it's time for the download to complete.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks