Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 16:16   #2686
Senior - BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Just updated mine to BigSur. Loving the update so far. The app launch seems to be slightly swifter but it may just be a placebo.
Old 16th November 2020, 02:42   #2687
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated to big sur amidst reports of outages while downloading. However, it went off all fine. Apple servers are now quick and the 12.18 GB update was delivered in just 1 hour and 15 minutes with a normal 4G mobile hotspot on my 2017 MacBook Air. Installation took some time. Over all, the new OS takes 6GB extra space compared to the 10.15.7 Catalina I was running. Initial impressions are good but the system boot time has definitely increased by a few seconds. Catalina definitely booted little quicker. Noticed that the backlit keyboard doesn’t come on until you’ve entered the login password. I’m not sure if that was same in Catalina but definitely an issue when working in dark. Rest all seems fine. Will update if there’s anything important to add.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 11:39   #2688
Distinguished - BHPian

One small bug I noticed in big sur. In the new control center, when you turn on/off ‘do not disturb’, the icon doesn’t activate or deactivate until you refresh the control Center drop down menu by clicking on the control Center icon again.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 12:55   #2689
Senior - BHPian

I also updated my Mac Pro to Big Sur yesterday; haven't gone much into the details, but noticed a very iPhone like feel to the icons and the wallpaper.
Old 17th November 2020, 11:58   #2690
BHPian

Joined the Big Sur family today. Upgraded without any fuss or drama. As other members pointed it out, it feels very iPhone-ishy. The color intensity has gone up, it seems. I kinda liked previous not in your face icons. The mail app interface feels much modern now. Will update more as I go explore more on the features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
One small bug I noticed in big sur. In the new control center, when you turn on/off ‘do not disturb’, the icon doesn’t activate or deactivate until you refresh the control Center drop down menu by clicking on the control Center icon again.
I think you can in the same session. You need to click on the 'half-moon' icon and once you disable it, it takes about 2-3 seconds to disappear from the menu bar
Old 17th November 2020, 14:30   #2691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Joined the Big Sur family today. Upgraded without any fuss or drama. As other members pointed it out, it feels very iPhone-ishy. The color intensity has gone up, it seems. I kinda liked previous not in your face icons. The mail app interface feels much modern now. Will update more as I go explore more on the features.
Apart from the control center look, I am missing the old understated look of the OSX. Just look at the icons in system preferences app.

I don't know for sure but I may revert to Catalina if it bothers me too much.
Old 17th November 2020, 16:20   #2692
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't update the first time around as the space was less on my macbook air A1466 128GB. The fix was to push all large applications including the update to an external hard disk and install from there. It was smooth and now both the mini and air are on the latest version.

The applications were copied back after the update, the external hard disk has to be configured for mac file system.
Old 8th December 2020, 15:55   #2693
BHPian

I am on verge of buying the M1 Macbook Air. Obviously, I will get it in hand only after 2-3 weeks of me paying as it is backordered everywhere.
Can Mac veterans here please suggest me some videos or resources where I can learn about MacOS to get me acquainted with the OS and any other thing as I have been a lifetime Windows users.
I do own iPhone and Apple Watch since last few years though.
Old 8th December 2020, 16:41   #2694
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am on verge of buying the M1 Macbook Air. Obviously, I will get it in hand only after 2-3 weeks of me paying as it is backordered everywhere.
Just google everything as and when you get stuck. Lots of things like file format conversion, printing in PDF, saving to a particular location (or on cloud), resizing images, trimming videos etc. are natively built into the OS.

Check out some 'new to mac' videos from 9to5mac on youtube. You'll understand them better when you have a mac to look up the various menus and functions as you watch the videos.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 10:24   #2695
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, upgraded to Big Sur and am seeing a bit of lag even in simple page down commands. Something like Firefox taking longer to open. An MS word document just took 8 seconds to open!!

Should I bother troubleshooting this lag or just wait for fixes in v2 of Big Sur?

Quote:
Can Mac veterans here please suggest me some videos or resources where I can learn about MacOS
Just watch the many YouTube videos on moving to Mac. That's what I did and was all set in a week.

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2020 at 12:19. Reason: Additional info
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 12:20   #2696
BHPian

Is it really worth taking the extended warranty? My initial one year warranty was about to expire yesterday and before it's too late took the two year extended warranty from Apple Care. It cost me 19k.
Old 13th December 2020, 12:46   #2697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, upgraded to Big Sur and am seeing a bit of lag even in simple page down commands. Something like Firefox taking longer to open. An MS word document just took 8 seconds to open!!

Should I bother troubleshooting this lag or just wait for fixes in v2 of Big Sur?
I updated my Mac Air some time back. But apart from a few more seconds of boot time, I’ve not noticed lag in performance. And mine is a humble configuration, so there shouldn’t be any reason why your system should slow down considerably. Only thing I can think of is probably you had too much of data which the new OS is indexing currently resulting in snapping of cpu power. Once it’s over, performance should be back.

Also check your free space as well, SSDs inherently slow down when near to full. You’ll need to free some space if that’s the case.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 13:38   #2698
BHPian

Quote:

Are you having sufficient free space on your drive. My McB Air (2016 model) went through the update pretty smoothly and there is no lag at all. It is working as smooth as it was.

So, maybe the issue is somewhere else!

Can you launch Activity Monitor and let the graphs show up for CPU and Memory and Disks.. you might find something going wrong and slowing you down.

Quote:
I am on verge of buying the M1 Macbook Air.
Can Mac veterans here please suggest me some videos or resources where I can learn about MacOS to get me acquainted with the OS and any other thing as I have been a lifetime Windows users.
I do own iPhone and Apple Watch since last few years though.
Welcome to Mac!!

If you are new to Mac, a few obvious things (that you do in Windows) may pose some difficulties to you.. like Win-E for opening the Explorer..

However, there are tons of videos, and new-to-mac guides.. it is good to search for "How to do X in mac" and get write-ups or videos and start learning them.

I hope you would get Big Sur in M1 and it should be a breeze for you...

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th December 2020 at 15:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
basuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 15:36   #2699
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Weird. Restarted the Mac (windows style solution ) and it's now blazing fast again. Don't remember when I last restarted, but I think it was couple of days back.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 16:21   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Weird. Restarted the Mac (windows style solution ) and it's now blazing fast again. Don't remember when I last restarted, but I think it was couple of days back.
WOW! Great!

But it does restart a couple of times while installing the BigSur.. maybe there was something pending for you, so restarting settled everything.

Overall BigSur 11.0.1 experience is good,,,
basuk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks