Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 21:09   #2761
BHPian

Re: Which is the best place to buy a mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
How to avail students discount if I don’t have a student Id
Get hold of someone in the family/friend circle who has one!
Apple validates using unidays. For that, one needs to have an email id with an educational institution.

Check out https://www.apple.com/in/shop/education-pricing
woof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 21:35   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which is the best place to buy a mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
How to avail students discount if I don’t have a student Id
Make an ISIC card. I did the same.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:18   #2763
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

My 2017 15 inch MBP has come up with a message to get the battery serviced. This is my daily driver and I've crossed 1500+ charge cycles so pretty happy with the performance I've got out of it so far.

I'm currently in the UK and battery replacement is £199 (approx 20k INR) from Apple. Pretty happy to do it directly as my company will pay for it anyway.

Question for those who have had this done on their devices: Do I really need to backup with Time Machine - as in, are there any particular benefits I would get considering the following?

- ALL of my files are either on Dropbox or OneDrive already, so can easily restore them afterwards.
- Most of my apps are easily installable again so not too worried about that either.

I don't want to have to buy an external hdd just for the sake of doing a onetime Time Machine backup, as I anyway use the cloud for everything else. Of course it would be a slight hassle to re-download and setup everything, but what are the chances that my laptop would be factory reset for just replacing the battery? I also assume they will not be able to access my files at all, as I have FileVault turned on by default and everything is encrypted with my Apple ID - so wouldn't need to worry about resetting my device first before giving it to them?

If anyone has any experience with this it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old 16th May 2021, 12:52   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
*SNIP*

If anyone has any experience with this it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
I just had the battery replaced in my 2018 13" touchbar MBPro; and it was not factory reset, I did not have to set anything up anew. The machine came back to me the same way i gave it to them; except with a new battery.

Doing a backup is always recommended before giving your machine for any repair, but in your case it may not; since everything of yours is on the cloud in some form or the other.

One practice I follow in addition to backing up before giving for repair, is creating a new admin-level user with a simple password like 1234 or something; and completely deleting my user account. This way, all my data is deleted while Apple still has an admin account for them to work with. And then all I have to do once I get the machine back is to restore my account from the backup and remove the temp admin account. And yes, that take some time and is a bit of effort and time.

I would advise that even in your case, not because of any data they might see, but because you do not need to give them your account password, which you probably could be using for other services too.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 23:46   #2765
BHPian

I am on Mac OS 11.2.3 MacBook Pro 2018
I am not a regular user of excel don't want to spend 30,000 for a life time license of 365 or excel for 10,000 is there any other way around?
I tried buying from Amazon showing around 5000 for lifetimes but some reviews are suggesting these are for corporates not for sale and does not work on Mac
can anyone help with a verified link where I can download or a verified link on amazon where o can pay up to 5k for as lifetime license
Old 27th May 2021, 01:30   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
can anyone help with a verified link where I can download or a verified link on amazon where o can pay up to 5k for as lifetime license
Wait for some more time, I believe a lifetime version of Ms Office for Mac 2021 should be coming out in the next few months. The last official version (2019 I believe) was selling for around eight thousand rupees.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 09:25   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
I am not a regular user of excel don't want to spend 30,000 for a life time license of 365 or excel for 10,000 is there any other way around?
I tried buying from Amazon showing around 5000 for lifetimes but some reviews are suggesting these are for corporates not for sale and does not work on Mac
Generally Microsoft offers products for free for students. So when I want to download any Microsoft product for my Mac & iOS, I simply type, like in your case, 'ms office Mac for students' & I get a search result like:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/educ...roducts/office

Enter your Hotmail/outlook email below and see if it works for you.

PS: I have lifetime free subscription of office on Mac via this method. Cheers!
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 10:27   #2768
BHPian

Quote:
Considering you are not a regular user of Excel, I wonder if you really need Excel specifically for any reason or if you could make do with other spreadsheet apps that are either free (LibreOffice or Google Sheets in the cloud etc.) or come free with the Mac anyway (Numbers).

Cheers
Old 27th May 2021, 12:43   #2769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Considering you are not a regular user of Excel, I wonder if you really need Excel specifically for any reason or if you could make do with other spreadsheet apps that are either free (LibreOffice or Google Sheets in the cloud etc.) or come free with the Mac anyway (Numbers).

Cheers
I need it only when someone send me same data and I have to edit it
After editing I have to send this file back
a4_attitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 01:12   #2770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
come free with the Mac anyway (Numbers)
Doesn’t Numbers in Mac mess up formulas/formats in an excel sheet? For example if you work on an excel sheet received from someone using Windows, need to edit it (on a Mac) and send it back to a Windows user.

Someone please clarify the practical differences of using Number or Pages in a Mac while working with an excel sheet or word document.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 28th May 2021, 12:40   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Doesn’t Numbers in Mac mess up formulas/formats in an excel sheet? For example if you work on an excel sheet received from someone using Windows, need to edit it (on a Mac) and send it back to a Windows user.

Someone please clarify the practical differences of using Number or Pages in a Mac while working with an excel sheet or word document.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
I am not sure it messes up formulae, but formats and macros I am almost sure will be wonky.

OP's response to my question made it clear that he does need Excel and cannot really make do with alternatives.

Cheers
Old 15th June 2021, 10:21   #2772
Team-BHP Support

After seven years on the MBP, I got the MBA with M1 last week. The very first observation: I hate this new keypad.

Got a couple of questions:

1) Are others experiencing static on the laptop body? The laptop came with a 2-pin charger, and regardless of whether I plug this in directly or via a Belkin multi-board + surge protector, I get static.

When I called Apple Cust Care, they said this is normal and asked me to use the charger that came with my Windows laptop (three-pin) to isolate the problem; no static.

2) Which USB-C multimedia hub do you guys recommend? I use the Logitech wireless mouse and would often use an external monitor too. Considering this:

https://www.amazon.in/Belkin-Multime...s%2C704&sr=1-2
Old 15th June 2021, 12:24   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Yes, its normal on the metal body. Regarding hub, I use only this brand. And its excellent
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Are others experiencing static on the laptop body? The laptop came with a 2-pin charger, and regardless of whether I plug this in directly or via a Belkin multi-board + surge protector, I get static
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 11:52   #2774
Senior - BHPian

Apple macbook charger 85W Magsafe 2 - MD506HN/A vs A1424
I have a late 2013 15 inch macbook pro. The model number on the charger is A1424.

Even on apples website this model number is not mentioned in the 85W charger listing. It shows up as MD506HN/A.

Authorised online sellers also list the only 85W charger available for magsafe 2 as MD506HN/A. I am unable to buy directly from Apple as they probably don't have it in stock and are claiming 6 weeks for delivery (Indian Apple website).

What is the difference between A1424 and MD506HN/A. My macbook pro is purchased in Australia and I am now in India - is this just a country specific difference in the model number?

I have looked at the charger compatibility page on Apple and it only states wattage and connector and not exact model number.

1. Could I know the difference if any between the MD506HN/A and A1424?

2. How do I find out why there is such a long delivery time for the charger in India? I don't mind the wait as long as the original apple product lands up in a month or so. I don't want to finally get a note saying it's not available and end up with a cancelled order.

Available links:
Apple link
https://www.apple.com/in/shop/produc...retina-display

Tata Cliq link - seller claims to be authorised
https://www.tatacliq.com/apple-magsa...00000001777809

Couldn't find stock anywhere else.
Old 17th June 2021, 12:13   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
1) Are others experiencing static on the laptop body? The laptop came with a 2-pin charger, and regardless of whether I plug this in directly or via a Belkin multi-board + surge protector, I get static.
All 2 pin chargers will give out static as there is no connection to Earth and laptop being a metal body there is chance of static.

Being USB C, you can use any charger you want (preferably a 3 pin one) and it should be fine.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks