Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2021, 02:43   #2836
Senior - BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
They have skimped a lot on this model, including the lower capacity charger. I am also looking to upgrade but undecided on the spec at the moment. Will pick the 14 most probably.
Ooh, okay, for us, not in a hurry to upgrade. We can opt for the higher capacity charger, marginal price increase only.
Old 21st October 2021, 12:18   #2837
Team-BHP Support

apple is out there to kill their own retailers I guess lol.

So this is what happened- checked online and there is no way GST bill can be had for the online purchase (corp purchase). So went to the nearest shop and they said they can provide GST bill and I can book by paying 5000 INR, but they will be able to confirm dates only after few days since their systems are not updated for new models nor availability to retailers announced.

Then I informed them that I would need some customisation, to which the retailer is saying it will be difficult since availability is still not announced for retailers or date commitment. They feel it will take minimum 4-6 weeks. Since there are no other options for GST bill, I said that is also ok with me. Then they throw another surprise, that full amount will have to be paid upfront instead of 5000, agreed to that also.

Now comes the third and final surprise, how about any discounts through cards and all if it is announced, apparently won't be applicable for customised models. Same story confirmed by another retailer also, only difference they were committing to 4 weeks delivery time from launch.

apple and it's ways in India.. amusing it is!
Jaggu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 20:32   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I got 2 batteries from irepair. Both gave up in few months.
These non apple or same as OEM batteries just don't work.
They last max 1 year if you are lucky.
Guess my expectation was a bit too much from the Non OEM battery. Mine lasted 1 year 4 months and I was cursing about battery not lasting long enough.

Now I am on a lookout for the battery again. Does anyone have a quote from Apple for the Battery replacement for Macbook Air(2017).

Another question:
My battery and the charger both have given up in the last month. This precisely coincides with the upgradation of the SSD which I had done myself. I am fairly confident on not damaging anything during the process but want to understand if anyone has been in similar situation where some parts have given up after upgrading to SSD.
Some reading in Google speaks about damage to the motherboard due to the adopter used for the SSD.
Old 24th October 2021, 01:10   #2839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
apple is out there to kill their own retailers I guess lol.

apple and it's ways in India.. amusing it is!
Maybe its the retailers trying to play it safe? Like we see happening with cars, dealers like to hold the fast moving variants in higher numbers (some MBP configs are already close to a car's price ). I think the availability should improve a few months down the line.
Old 26th October 2021, 07:50   #2840
Senior - BHPian

I did give it a try and it didnt go well. Had booked an appointment through Apple, at their recommended Planetcare, opp. Kathriguppe BigBazaar. They examined my laptop, checked purchase date and everything, and said they can help. After two days they call to say that my laptop is over 5 years old and they cant help. This made me suspicious, and I fought with them over the phone. Why take two days to tell me that? They could have informed me then and there (Genius overseas dont accept older MBPs at all). I have a suspicion they might have stolen some parts, since my MacBook is running hotter now. They're saying they are an independent unit and dont report to Apple, since "Apple doesn't operate here". I'm also seeing some scratches on my immaculately maintained unit. It's a 1TB fully loaded laptop from USA, and I'll get it checked at Genius once I get back. Meanwhile I upgraded the machine to Monterey, excited to see 'what's new!!!'
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Are you sure? I believe it is a worldwide recall and 2017 MBP's are all included. May be worth giving it a try, have a look here for more info: https://support.apple.com/en-euro/ke...-mac-notebooks
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-img_0031.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 26th October 2021 at 08:00.
Old 27th October 2021, 11:17   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I did give it a try and it didnt go well. Had booked an appointment through Apple, at their recommended Planetcare, opp. Kathriguppe BigBazaar. They examined my laptop, checked purchase date and everything, and said they can help. After two days they call to say that my laptop is over 5 years old and they cant help. This made me suspicious, and I fought with them over the phone. Why take two days to tell me that? They could have informed me then and there (Genius overseas dont accept older MBPs at all). I have a suspicion they might have stolen some parts, since my MacBook is running hotter now. They're saying they are an independent unit and dont report to Apple, since "Apple doesn't operate here". I'm also seeing some scratches on my immaculately maintained unit. It's a 1TB fully loaded laptop from USA, and I'll get it checked at Genius once I get back. Meanwhile I upgraded the machine to Monterey, excited to see 'what's new!!!'
Really sorry to hear this. Does Apple have any of its own company owned service centres in India? That would be the place to go if they did. If not, then it might just be best to get it checked abroad whenever you travel, even then go directly to an Apple owned store rather than a 3rd party.

Regarding running hotter and the scratches, it seems like they opened it up, found that they couldn't get the part or weren't able to work out how to do the recall without them losing out on the cost of the part (or something similar), and so just put it back together and told you it wasn't possible. Did you complain and/or contact Apple support? In my experience, Apple support has been pretty good, but again that has been out of India. Wonder how active Apple is on social media to respond to complaints there as well?

I too upgraded to Monterey, but besides the colour scheme and slight graphical changes in Finder, can't really notice much else different. Seems like most of the good stuff is only for the M1's and newer.

Sooo tempted to go for the M1 Max 10/32 14 inch to replace my 2017 i7 15 inch, but don't think an upgrade within 5 years is really justifiable. May wait it out for another year or 2 for M3 Max or whatever is next!
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:51   #2842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Very often, I end up using all the ports (except the HDMI port) almost simultaneously but haven’t felt the Anker Hub showing any signs of getting heated. Need to check if this remains the case.
Thanks for pointing this out though.
How're you finding this hub?
Old 3rd November 2021, 19:48   #2843
BHPian

Has anyone here installed macOS Monterey? If so, any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 3rd November 2021, 21:15   #2844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Has anyone here installed macOS Monterey? If so, any feedback would be much appreciated.
Have upgraded in my Late 2015 MacBook Air. Been using for a few days, no major issues. Works as normal..

BTW windows 11 is very different visually compared to Windows 10.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 23:04   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Updated to Monterey yesterday on my MacBook Air M1, everything functioning normally. Nothing exceptional, a new desktop background comes on automatically. It will take a few days to check the battery life. It’s a large file, around 12GB.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 06:44   #2846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How're you finding this hub?
Serving the advertised purpose very well.

On multiple instances, I used all ports but the hub didn’t warm up at all (as forewarned on the label).
It remains latched quite snugly and doesn’t move around a bit. But then, that’s the downside also - one has to be careful when placing the laptop inside a bag with the hub plugged in, lest it might snap if not kept properly.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 11:08   #2847
Team-BHP Support

Have a few questions about a MacBook Air A1466 (model year 2017).

SSD replacement: Which one? And type? Direct swap in or adpater needed? Samsung comes well-recommended.
Battery: Where to get an original one, if it's even possible anymore? Mine shows 5940 mAh in the Power tab. Pretty decent I think, given installed capacity was about 7000 mAh? May leave this for later.
Screwdriver kit: Recommendation needed.
macOS setup, Backup & Restore (from old SSD): Recommendation needed.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th November 2021 at 11:16.
Old 7th November 2021, 12:05   #2848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

SSD replacement: Which one? And type? Direct swap in or adpater needed? Samsung comes well-recommended.
Battery: Where to get an original one, if it's even possible anymore? Mine shows 5940 mAh in the Power tab. Pretty decent I think, given installed capacity was about 7000 mAh? May leave this for later.
Hello Chetan,

You may find this thread useful:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...cbook-air.html (DIY: Upgrading the Storage / SSD of a Macbook Air!)
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 14:12   #2849
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The above-mentioned reply by Saket ji is super helpful. However, my inputs are as below:

SSD - Check out ifixit guide as well, usually OWC drives are a direct replacement if you can get your hands on the same.

Battery - Using macbook pro early 2015 model since summer of 2015 and haven't felt need for replacement.

Screwdriver kit - Using this for past 5 years or so - https://quadstore.in/product-category/screwdriver-set/

OS back up etc. - Just back up your data and use internet recovery tool. No need to back up the OS. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+...new+SSD/119499.

IMO, I would leave the inbuilt SSD as it is and invest in an external SSD.
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 19:01   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello Chetan,

You may find this thread useful:
Just a note of caution, not all SSDs are equal and after replacing the stock SSD with a Samsung 980 500GB, the computer is unable to wake up from sleep in some cases. Here's a fix that I'm using for the time being. (link)

Quote:
Alternatively, how about adding a Transcend expansion card instead?
Speed will be slower than native performance for sure. I'm not sure by how much, but I discarded this idea long back. My office iMac (2012 iMac with glued display) is running off a usb 3 ssd rather than the inbuilt hdd. Pretty sure this would be a bad idea for a laptop.

Last edited by blackwasp : 8th November 2021 at 19:20.
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks