Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2021, 20:26   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Hello bhpians - am looking to buy the Logitech MK850 keyboard and mouse combo so that I can use it with my windows PC and Mac mini.

The website called GolchhaIT quotes a price which is about Rs 700 cheaper than Amazon (after coupon).
Is this a safe website to buy from with?
Are they legit?
Do they have good product return or warranty policies?
Do any of the BHPians have experience buying from them?

https://golchhait.com/

https://golchhait.com/logitech-keybo...use-combo.html

Thank you .
The price difference works out to 2% of the transaction amount, go with Amazon.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:12   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
GolchhaIT
Are they legit?
One of the oldest vendors in Bangalore/SP road. They've been around a long time and I've made purchases at their physical store. Should be a safe bet.

That said, Amazon's fulfilment/delivery ETA will probably be better.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 12:43   #2748
Team-BHP Support

I have chrome and safari simultaneously on my MacBook Air, chrome doing one window for one of the official app which is best supported by chrome.

Today read this news and updated the chrome app. Surprisingly I feel now the safari tabs (multiple open) seemed faster after the chrome update. Like chrome was hogging a bit too much earlier.
Old 15th March 2021, 13:33   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have chrome and safari simultaneously on my MacBook Air, chrome doing one window for one of the official app which is best supported by chrome.

Today read this news and updated the chrome app. Surprisingly I feel now the safari tabs (multiple open) seemed faster after the chrome update. Like chrome was hogging a bit too much earlier.
I have the same kind of setup wherein I use chrome for Office work and Safari for normal browsing. While Chrome is relatively fast with good UI but takes away too many resources. Safari being native to macOS is deeply integrated and in the long run, if you are in the Apple ecosystem, it makes life easier.
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:31   #2750
Distinguished - BHPian

Macbook experts: Does 4GB RAM on a Macbook air sound sufficient for basic stuff ? Or is 8GB the norm here too ? Basic stuff: browsing, some basic photo / audio editing, documents etc.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:36   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Macbook experts: Does 4GB RAM on a Macbook air sound sufficient for basic stuff ? Or is 8GB the norm here too ? Basic stuff: browsing, some basic photo / audio editing, documents etc.
Do you mean the 8 GB RAM? I don't believe there a 4 GB on offer at all. Anyway let me answer your question basis the 8 GB unified memory. It is absolutely a class above anything else anyone has used at 8 GB. For the things that you list, it will be more than adequate.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 09:26   #2752
BHPian

Quote:
You will be able to lay hands on a Macbook with 4 GB RAM only in the used market. I would not suggest the 4 GB model. Get one with 8 GB and you will be a happy camper for the next few years.
ashenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 17:33   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am confused between the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air laptops and the only major difference I could spot was the touch bar and a higher watt charger in the box with the Macbook Pro model. The lack of a fan or 2 hours less battery life isn't significant to my intended usage. Please advice.
I had this same confusion and after digging in, these are the differences that I spotted. A MacBook Pro M1 base model gets you these over the MacBook Air M1:
  • Brighter screen by 100 nits (only helpful when sitting out in daylight for me)
  • HDR Speakers (much better sound as per reviews)
  • Better Internal Mics (great for noise clean up in video calls as per reviews)
  • Touch Bar (helpful with mail and safari, but that’s about it from my perspective)
  • Internal fan - (stable performance over time, while the Air will throttle down once the heat sink is saturated)
  • Better graphics handling by 5-15%
  • Bigger battery by 16% - (survive battery wear better over the years, apart from the obvious more hours of usage)
  • 20$ more for apple care

Last edited by di1in : 1st April 2021 at 17:46.
Old 1st April 2021, 18:04   #2754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Picked up a used MacBook Air 4gb / 64 Gb for mom. She does what you mentioned + records video lectures (including video editing, rendering and compression). Works just fine. Only problem is a lack of storage, but have taught her to transfer older data to an external drive / cloud so she's fine.

Snappy performance despite the limited on-paper spec.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 09:41   #2755
BHPian

Which is the best place to buy a mac?

Hello Everyone

I am looking to get a Mac Mini M1 for productivity and video editing. I want to know which is the best/most reliable place to get it. The offline apple imagine stores here don't have it in stock, they said I can place an order with them and it will be delivered. Doesn't make much sense then to buy it offline, would rather get it online. My options are:

1. Apple.com/in - Apple Official Store, no discounts, but probably the safest place to buy it from

2. Amazon - not in stock right now, but can probably wait for sale

3. Online apple authorized reseller (imagine, aptronix etc) - some have offers, but not sure about their quality/reliability
Old 5th April 2021, 12:33   #2756
BHPian

Re: Which is the best place to buy a mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
My options are:

1. Apple.com/in - Apple Official Store, no discounts, but probably the safest place to buy it from

2. Amazon - not in stock right now, but can probably wait for sale

3. Online apple authorized reseller (imagine, aptronix etc) - some have offers, but not sure about their quality/reliability
All the above mentioned options are golden. On Amazon - Just ensure seller is appario or the one mentioned on this website
Old 5th April 2021, 16:20   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
A big no to 4 GB RAM. I have 8 GB RAM in iMac and I am already thinking to upgrade it. Please get the one with the highest RAM.

PS: As far as I remember, one cannot upgrade RAM on MBA. All the best
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 16:31   #2758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'd highly recommend getting the 16GB RAM. 8GB RAM is mainstream and necessary now; so if you want to future proof your Mac (which will easily last 8-10 years otherwise), get the 16GB one.

Quote:
Check about the HDFC 6k + 0% EMI offer (on 6 months tenure).
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 20:11   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Use the discount available for students to get flat 10% off on the Apple's official store. I recently bought the MacBook Air M1 16GB 256GB for about 101k (list price was about 112k)
Old 7th April 2021, 20:55   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Use the discount available for students to get flat 10% off on the Apple's official store. I recently bought the MacBook Air M1 16GB 256GB for about 101k (list price was about 112k)
How to avail students discount if I don’t have a student Id

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks